Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

OH NO, my leather! :(

Go down 
+18
KillaKeninaRiv
turtleman
#1BearsFan
deekster_caddy
ibmoses
T Riley
albertj
stan
BKRIV
Jack the R
1wickedninja
Shintsu
SuperRiv07
IBx1
Chicken
Mr.Riviera
ewolfe0050
manofmany
22 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
manofmany
Addict

Name : manofmany
Merit : 5

OH NO, my leather! :( Empty
PostSubject: OH NO, my leather! :(   OH NO, my leather! :( EmptyTue Sep 09, 2008 5:59 pm

I left my sun roof open for about 30 minutes while it rained. It didn't dawn on me that I had a receipt on my passenger seat with heavy blue ink on it. Sure enough, it left a near perfect imprint of it on my passenger seat leather! headbutt

Any ideas on how to get this off? Pictures to come later.
Back to top Go down
ewolfe0050
Aficionado
ewolfe0050

Name : Eric
Merit : 27

PostSubject: Re: OH NO, my leather! :(   OH NO, my leather! :( EmptyTue Sep 09, 2008 6:15 pm

If you can't get it out I might have my front seats available soon... gray and in excellent condition. Good luck.
Back to top Go down
Mr.Riviera
Expert
Mr.Riviera

Name : Matthew
Merit : 101

PostSubject: Re: OH NO, my leather! :(   OH NO, my leather! :( EmptyTue Sep 09, 2008 6:28 pm

first off, it probably wont all come out.(depending on the kind of ink)
we use a heavy duty acetone like solution at work called PCR. i think it is commercial only. do not use acetone. you can either take it to a detail shop and have them spot clean it for a few bucks, or try and take it out yourself.
with household cleaners i would first try a degreaser soap and soft cloth. if that doesnt take it out you may want to move to a mild spray cleaner like simple green and finally a heavy duty cleaner like 409. BEWARE: heavy cleaners will take the factory dye out of the leather. dont say i didnt warn you.
finaly go over it again with a conditioner/protectant since anything that was on there will be removed.
you might want to give an actual leather cleaner like lexol a try too.
good luck

Back to top Go down
Chicken
Aficionado
Chicken

Name : Mark
Merit : 8

PostSubject: Re: OH NO, my leather! :(   OH NO, my leather! :( EmptyTue Sep 09, 2008 6:37 pm

Round up about 1000 receipts and do your whole interior that way!
Back to top Go down
http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile
manofmany
Addict

PostSubject: Re: OH NO, my leather! :(   OH NO, my leather! :( EmptyTue Sep 09, 2008 6:46 pm

OH NO, my leather! :( Seatjw5

Thanks for the suggestions. I'm gonna have a go at it later.
Back to top Go down
IBx1
Expert
IBx1

Name : ILAN
Merit : 69

PostSubject: Re: OH NO, my leather! :(   OH NO, my leather! :( EmptyTue Sep 09, 2008 7:45 pm

Wow, that's a perfect imprint!!!!

Lol, sorry, good luck in getting it off!
Back to top Go down
SuperRiv07
Addict
SuperRiv07

Name : Nick
Location : Brookfield, And If everything goes right A Nice big house in Bolingbrook with a big GARAGE
Merit : 0

PostSubject: Re: OH NO, my leather! :(   OH NO, my leather! :( EmptyTue Sep 09, 2008 7:47 pm

dam that sucks
Back to top Go down
http://www.Chitownracing.com
Shintsu
Expert

Name : Shintsu
Merit : -16

PostSubject: Re: OH NO, my leather! :(   OH NO, my leather! :( EmptyTue Sep 09, 2008 8:30 pm

Wow. Well, hope it was an important purchase - you'll always have the receipt. You just may have to bring your car into the store to show them you have it...

Seriously though, that sucks. Too bad they never made a nice feature for moonroofs like they did convertibles where if they detected rain they would automatically close.
Back to top Go down
1wickedninja
Addict
1wickedninja

Name : Josh

PostSubject: Re: OH NO, my leather! :(   OH NO, my leather! :( EmptyTue Sep 09, 2008 9:17 pm

damn man that suxs
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/1wickedninja
manofmany
Addict

PostSubject: Re: OH NO, my leather! :(   OH NO, my leather! :( EmptyTue Sep 09, 2008 10:21 pm

Yep gas and a vanilla coke. It's gonna be my most memorable purchase!
Back to top Go down
Jack the R
Master
Jack the R

Merit : 105

PostSubject: Re: OH NO, my leather! :(   OH NO, my leather! :( EmptyWed Sep 10, 2008 1:31 am

Try a Mr. Clean Magic Eraser. I won't promise it'll work but it's taken stains out I would have never thought it would.
Back to top Go down
ewolfe0050
Aficionado
ewolfe0050

Name : Eric
Merit : 27

PostSubject: Re: OH NO, my leather! :(   OH NO, my leather! :( EmptyWed Sep 10, 2008 1:36 am

Try Blue Coral... that stuff works wonders.
Back to top Go down
BKRIV
Enthusiast
BKRIV

Name : Bill
Merit : 4

PostSubject: Re: OH NO, my leather! :(   OH NO, my leather! :( EmptyWed Sep 10, 2008 3:03 am

Thats too bad but hairspray will take it right off...use Aquanet it's cheap. I didn't get laid than night but I learned that...sooo..
Back to top Go down
stan
Expert

Merit : 12

PostSubject: Re: OH NO, my leather! :(   OH NO, my leather! :( EmptyWed Sep 10, 2008 3:11 am

hell no that sucks
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :
Merit : 180

PostSubject: Re: OH NO, my leather! :(   OH NO, my leather! :( EmptyWed Sep 10, 2008 4:39 am

if this was my stain I would first try "saddle soap" - You can get it at most places that sell shoe polish (large grocery store, WalMart, KMart,e tc.) Follow the label instructions.

Why? Well, ugly as that stain is, it is water soluble. THINK a minute. That is how it got on there in the first place - water.

Follow the saddle soap instructions.

If it was my car I might alternatively or also try a little OxyClean maybe on a q-tip. Again, this stain is water soluble. Follow the label directions on the saddle soap or the OxyClean whichever you decide to use.

Albertj
Back to top Go down
T Riley
Guru
T Riley

Name : Travis
Merit : 10

PostSubject: Re: OH NO, my leather! :(   OH NO, my leather! :( EmptyWed Sep 10, 2008 5:15 am

OUCH
Back to top Go down
http://www.rivperformance.com
T Riley
Guru
T Riley

Name : Travis
Merit : 10

PostSubject: Re: OH NO, my leather! :(   OH NO, my leather! :( EmptyWed Sep 10, 2008 5:19 am

OH NO, my leather! :( Reciep10

ON the bright side YOUR APPROVED
Back to top Go down
http://www.rivperformance.com
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :

PostSubject: Re: OH NO, my leather! :(   OH NO, my leather! :( EmptyWed Sep 10, 2008 6:19 am

Also you could go to http://www.leatherique.com and send a note to them for hints. Leatherique makes some of the best if not the best leather care stuff available.

Albertj
Back to top Go down
Chicken
Aficionado
Chicken

PostSubject: Re: OH NO, my leather! :(   OH NO, my leather! :( EmptyWed Sep 10, 2008 1:24 pm

Use Silly Putty!
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :

PostSubject: Re: OH NO, my leather! :(   OH NO, my leather! :( EmptyWed Sep 10, 2008 3:30 pm

does silly putty actually work for this? It lifts excess ink off newsprint pages... but never tried it for such as this.

Please comment. You done that?

Albertj
Back to top Go down
BKRIV
Enthusiast
BKRIV

Name : Bill
Merit : 4

PostSubject: Re: OH NO, my leather! :(   OH NO, my leather! :( EmptyWed Sep 10, 2008 4:37 pm

I had a neighbor who had bought a new pickup. I got up very early one Sunday morning and saw that someone had spray painted red all around the sides of this beige truck (for some unknown reason). I went over, woke him up, and told him the bad news.

He was very upset and was trying to figure out what to do, probably nothing until Monday morning, since nothing was open. Another neighbor came out and told him to get his WD-40 and clean it off. It removed the unwanted paint beautifully and did not harm his paint job that was on the truck. I'm impressed! WD-40, who knew?

Water Displacement #40. The product began from a search for a rust preventative solvent and degreaser to protect missile parts. WD-40 was created in 1953 by three technicians at the San Diego Rocket Chemical Company. Its name comes from the project that was to find a 'water displacement' compound. They were successful with the fortieth formulation, thus WD-40. The Corvair Company bought it in bulk to protect their atlas missile parts.

Ken East (one of the original founders) says there is nothing in WD-40 that would hurt you. When you read the 'shower door' part, try it. It's the first thing that has ever cleaned that spotty shower door If yours is plastic, it works just as well as glass. It's a miracle! Then try it on your stove top... Voila! It's now shinier than it's ever been. You'll be amazed. Here are some of the uses:

1) Protects silver from tarnishing.
2) Removes road tar and grime from cars.
3) Cleans and lubricates guitar strings.
4) Gives floors that 'just-waxed' sheen without making it slippery.
5) Keeps flies off cows.
6) Restores and cleans chalkboards.
7) Removes lipstick stains.
8) Loosens stubborn zippers.
9) Untangles jewelry chains.
10) Removes stains from stainless steel sinks.
11) Removes dirt and grime from the barbecue grill.
12) Keeps ceramic/terra cotta garden pots from oxidizing.
13) Removes tomato stains from clothing.
14) Keeps glass shower doors free of water spots.
15) Camouflages scratches in ceramic and marble floors.
16) Keeps scissors working smoothly.
17) Lubricates noisy door hinges on vehicles and doors in homes.
18) It removes black scuff marks from the kitchen floor. Use WD-40 for those nasty tar and scuff marks on flooring. It doesn't seem to harm the finish and you won't have to scrub nearly as hard to get them off. Just remember to open some windows if you have a lot of marks
19) Bug guts will eat away the finish on your car if not removed quickly. Use WD-40!
20) Gives a children's play gym slide a shine for a super fast slide.
21) Lubricates gear shift and mower deck lever for ease of handling on riding mowers.
22) Rids kids rocking chairs and swings of squeaky noises.
23) Lubricates tracks in sticking home windows and makes them easier to open.
24) Spraying an umbrella stem makes it easier to open and close.
25) Restores and cleans padded leather dashboards in vehicles, as well as vinyl bumpers.
26) Restores and cleans roof racks on vehicles.
27) Lubricates and stops squeaks in electric fans.
28) Lubricates wheel sprockets on tricycles, wagons, and bicycles for easy handling.
29) Lubricates fan belts on washers and dryers and keeps them running smoothly.
30) Keeps rust from forming on saws and saw blades, and other tools.
31) Removes splattered grease on stove.
32) Keeps bathroom mirror from fogging.
33) Lubricates prosthetic limbs.
34) Keeps pigeons off the balcony ( they hate the smell).
35) Removes all traces of duct tape.
36) Folks even spray it on their arms, hands, and knees to relieve arthritis pain.
37) Florida's favorite use is: 'cleans and removes love bugs from grills and bumpers.'
38) The favorite use in the state of New York: WD-40 protects the Statue of Liberty from the elements.
39) WD-40 attracts fish. Spray a LITTLE on live bait or lures and you will be catching the big one in no time. Also, it's a lot cheaper than the chemical attractants that are made for just That purpose. Keep in mind though, using some chemical laced baits or lures for fishing are Not allowed in some states.
40) Use it for fire ant bites. It takes the sting away immediately and stops the itch.
41) WD-40 is great for removing crayon from walls. Spray on the mark and wipe with a clean rag.
42) Also, if you've discovered that your teenage daughter has washed and dried a tube of Lipstick with a load of laundry, saturate the lipstick spots with WD-40 and re-wash. Presto! Lipstick is gone!
43) If you sprayed WD-40 on the distributor cap, it would displace the moisture and allow the car to start.

P.S. The basic ingredient is FISH OIL.
Back to top Go down
ibmoses
Aficionado
ibmoses

Name : Bert
Merit : 32

PostSubject: Re: OH NO, my leather! :(   OH NO, my leather! :( EmptyWed Sep 10, 2008 5:29 pm

BKRIV wrote:
I had a neighbor who had bought a new pickup. I got up very early one Sunday morning and saw that someone had spray painted red all around the sides of this beige truck (for some unknown reason). I went over, woke him up, and told him the bad news.

He was very upset and was trying to figure out what to do, probably nothing until Monday morning, since nothing was open. Another neighbor came out and told him to get his WD-40 and clean it off. It removed the unwanted paint beautifully and did not harm his paint job that was on the truck. I'm impressed! WD-40, who knew?

Water Displacement #40. The product began from a search for a rust preventative solvent and degreaser to protect missile parts. WD-40 was created in 1953 by three technicians at the San Diego Rocket Chemical Company. Its name comes from the project that was to find a 'water displacement' compound. They were successful with the fortieth formulation, thus WD-40. The Corvair Company bought it in bulk to protect their atlas missile parts.

Ken East (one of the original founders) says there is nothing in WD-40 that would hurt you. When you read the 'shower door' part, try it. It's the first thing that has ever cleaned that spotty shower door If yours is plastic, it works just as well as glass. It's a miracle! Then try it on your stove top... Voila! It's now shinier than it's ever been. You'll be amazed. Here are some of the uses:

1) Protects silver from tarnishing.
2) Removes road tar and grime from cars.
3) Cleans and lubricates guitar strings.
4) Gives floors that 'just-waxed' sheen without making it slippery.
5) Keeps flies off cows.
6) Restores and cleans chalkboards.
7) Removes lipstick stains.
8) Loosens stubborn zippers.
9) Untangles jewelry chains.
10) Removes stains from stainless steel sinks.
11) Removes dirt and grime from the barbecue grill.
12) Keeps ceramic/terra cotta garden pots from oxidizing.
13) Removes tomato stains from clothing.
14) Keeps glass shower doors free of water spots.
15) Camouflages scratches in ceramic and marble floors.
16) Keeps scissors working smoothly.
17) Lubricates noisy door hinges on vehicles and doors in homes.
18) It removes black scuff marks from the kitchen floor. Use WD-40 for those nasty tar and scuff marks on flooring. It doesn't seem to harm the finish and you won't have to scrub nearly as hard to get them off. Just remember to open some windows if you have a lot of marks
19) Bug guts will eat away the finish on your car if not removed quickly. Use WD-40!
20) Gives a children's play gym slide a shine for a super fast slide.
21) Lubricates gear shift and mower deck lever for ease of handling on riding mowers.
22) Rids kids rocking chairs and swings of squeaky noises.
23) Lubricates tracks in sticking home windows and makes them easier to open.
24) Spraying an umbrella stem makes it easier to open and close.
25) Restores and cleans padded leather dashboards in vehicles, as well as vinyl bumpers.
26) Restores and cleans roof racks on vehicles.
27) Lubricates and stops squeaks in electric fans.
28) Lubricates wheel sprockets on tricycles, wagons, and bicycles for easy handling.
29) Lubricates fan belts on washers and dryers and keeps them running smoothly.
30) Keeps rust from forming on saws and saw blades, and other tools.
31) Removes splattered grease on stove.
32) Keeps bathroom mirror from fogging.
33) Lubricates prosthetic limbs.
34) Keeps pigeons off the balcony ( they hate the smell).
35) Removes all traces of duct tape.
36) Folks even spray it on their arms, hands, and knees to relieve arthritis pain.
37) Florida's favorite use is: 'cleans and removes love bugs from grills and bumpers.'
38) The favorite use in the state of New York: WD-40 protects the Statue of Liberty from the elements.
39) WD-40 attracts fish. Spray a LITTLE on live bait or lures and you will be catching the big one in no time. Also, it's a lot cheaper than the chemical attractants that are made for just That purpose. Keep in mind though, using some chemical laced baits or lures for fishing are Not allowed in some states.
40) Use it for fire ant bites. It takes the sting away immediately and stops the itch.
41) WD-40 is great for removing crayon from walls. Spray on the mark and wipe with a clean rag.
42) Also, if you've discovered that your teenage daughter has washed and dried a tube of Lipstick with a load of laundry, saturate the lipstick spots with WD-40 and re-wash. Presto! Lipstick is gone!
43) If you sprayed WD-40 on the distributor cap, it would displace the moisture and allow the car to start.

P.S. The basic ingredient is FISH OIL.

I agree, I almost suggested WD40 myself.
It might just do the trick.

Bert
Back to top Go down
Chicken
Aficionado
Chicken

PostSubject: Re: OH NO, my leather! :(   OH NO, my leather! :( EmptyWed Sep 10, 2008 5:42 pm

albertj wrote:
does silly putty actually work for this? It lifts excess ink off newsprint pages... but never tried it for such as this.

Please comment. You done that?

Albertj

I don't know AJ, but I'm thinking it might lift the ink out instead of pushing ink in, or diluting it with a liquid, making a bigger stain...
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :

PostSubject: Re: OH NO, my leather! :(   OH NO, my leather! :( EmptyFri Sep 12, 2008 11:42 pm

Hmmm... I know from experience that Saddle Soap will work if the ink is not left too long - must follow the (simple) directions on the can. I think WD-40 may work but also may discolor the leather. I know that Leatherique "Prestine Clean" may work but if not they also sell a material that will recolor/refinish the leather perfectly - and they will be able to tell you if you just need the cleaner or if you also need the color finish.

Albertj
Back to top Go down
deekster_caddy
Master

Name : Derek
Merit : 109

PostSubject: Re: OH NO, my leather! :(   OH NO, my leather! :( EmptySat Sep 13, 2008 12:33 am

So have you tried to remove this yet? The longer it sits the less likely it's going to come off.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: OH NO, my leather! :(   OH NO, my leather! :( Empty

Back to top Go down

OH NO, my leather! :(
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next