Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

"NEW" Riv owner,new to the site...PROBS..Help

Go down 
+9
sburch23
1wickedninja
'96reese
99Rivman
albertj
SuperRiv07
Whatleece
13 posters
AuthorMessage
Whatleece
Special
Whatleece

Merit : 0

"NEW" Riv owner,new to the site...PROBS..Help Empty
PostSubject: "NEW" Riv owner,new to the site...PROBS..Help   "NEW" Riv owner,new to the site...PROBS..Help EmptyThu Sep 18, 2008 12:58 pm

Hi..I welcome all your expertise....bein a girl and Jimmie Johnson fan...My 'New' 95 Supercharged Code 1 is givin me probs.

Upon driving (not at low speeds or initial acceleration) when I am at ~45 to 60 mph and kinda coasting & then I need to accelerate to maintain my speed, my engine majorly 'Bucks'. If I 'Gas' it, I can alleviate the Buck about 70%. Engine light is intermitent.

I have vacuumed out & replaced the air filter....
Figure its got somethin to do with the Fuel filter, pump, injectors....Does anyone have any advice? "For a Novice"!!!!!!!

Where can I get a general manual??Havin trouble finding one.

Also, any tricks to reaching those back 3 plugs? Front 3 look like firing fine
Back to top Go down
SuperRiv07
Addict
SuperRiv07

Name : Nick
Location : Brookfield, And If everything goes right A Nice big house in Bolingbrook with a big GARAGE

PostSubject: Re: "NEW" Riv owner,new to the site...PROBS..Help   "NEW" Riv owner,new to the site...PROBS..Help EmptyThu Sep 18, 2008 1:03 pm

Im A big guy and them back plugs were a bitch for me I went from the top passenger side good luck
Back to top Go down
http://www.Chitownracing.com
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :
Merit : 180

PostSubject: Re: "NEW" Riv owner,new to the site...PROBS..Help   "NEW" Riv owner,new to the site...PROBS..Help EmptyThu Sep 18, 2008 1:11 pm

On the Series I supposedly the plugs are not too tough to reach from underneath. Put car on ramps, reach past exhaust manifold. Engine cold (hot manifold does not tickle). You will need a short (like 1-1/2") wobble extension for your spark plug socket. There's a spark plug thread somewhere on this board where we discussed this at length and posted instructions for the Series I and Series II engines. Please use search function to find it.

Albertj

Last edited by albertj on Thu Sep 18, 2008 9:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Chicken
Aficionado
Chicken

Name : Mark
Merit : 8

PostSubject: Re: "NEW" Riv owner,new to the site...PROBS..Help   "NEW" Riv owner,new to the site...PROBS..Help EmptyThu Sep 18, 2008 1:35 pm

SuperRiv07 wrote:
Im A big guy and them back plugs were a bitch for me I went from the top passenger side good luck

I bet you need a big cereal!
"NEW" Riv owner,new to the site...PROBS..Help 666647925_2d9ccff560
Back to top Go down
http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile

Name : Andrew
Merit : 123

PostSubject: Re: "NEW" Riv owner,new to the site...PROBS..Help   "NEW" Riv owner,new to the site...PROBS..Help EmptyThu Sep 18, 2008 1:56 pm

+1 on rear plugs from under. Also the "bucking" sounds like wires to me. Had the same prob....

Aficionado
99Rivman

Name : Randall
Merit : 89

PostSubject: Re: "NEW" Riv owner,new to the site...PROBS..Help   "NEW" Riv owner,new to the site...PROBS..Help EmptyThu Sep 18, 2008 2:22 pm

albertj wrote:
On the Series I supposedly the plugs are not too tough to reach form underneath. Put car on ramps, reach past exhaust manifold. Engine cold (hot manifold does not tickle). You will need a short (like 1-1/2") wobble extension for your spark plug socket.

Albertj
agree
I use a long extension and a swivel, that way I only have to reach in to remove and replace the wire. thumbsup
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/id/99Rivman
99Rivman
Aficionado
99Rivman

Name : Randall
Merit : 89

PostSubject: Re: "NEW" Riv owner,new to the site...PROBS..Help   "NEW" Riv owner,new to the site...PROBS..Help EmptyThu Sep 18, 2008 2:23 pm

Oh yea, and…
Welcome to the Forum thumbsup
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/id/99Rivman
'96reese
Fanatic

Name : Reese
Merit : 4

PostSubject: Re: "NEW" Riv owner,new to the site...PROBS..Help   "NEW" Riv owner,new to the site...PROBS..Help EmptyThu Sep 18, 2008 6:09 pm

whatleece...you will never find a manuel on the rivs, only if you come across a gm shop manuel. i've looked online and all the parts stores. now what you could do is get a genral gm 3.8 series one engine manuel at the parts stores. but hey you found this site so ask us and will be able to help you. i know personally i have a mitchell on demand disk for our coars and i have access to all data thur my job.

ask for as the bucking goes before you guess at what you need to change i would get the car scanned. now some 95's have obd2, but the majority are obd1. try going to your local parts store and see they can scan your car and write down the code and post it on here. that will help us out alot to diagnois your problem. because bucking could be that you need a tune up, or it could have sumthing to do with your air fuel metering system(o2 sensor, maf, map..). guessing though plugs and wires would be a good start but have your car scanned.
Back to top Go down
1wickedninja
Addict
1wickedninja

Name : Josh
Merit : 5

PostSubject: Re: "NEW" Riv owner,new to the site...PROBS..Help   "NEW" Riv owner,new to the site...PROBS..Help EmptyThu Sep 18, 2008 6:37 pm

wellcome and good luck with your new riv!
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/1wickedninja
sburch23
Addict
sburch23

Name : Scott
Merit : 14

PostSubject: Re: "NEW" Riv owner,new to the site...PROBS..Help   "NEW" Riv owner,new to the site...PROBS..Help EmptyThu Sep 18, 2008 7:03 pm

Wires or possible fuel filter
Back to top Go down
deekster_caddy
Master

Name : Derek
Merit : 109

PostSubject: Re: "NEW" Riv owner,new to the site...PROBS..Help   "NEW" Riv owner,new to the site...PROBS..Help EmptyFri Sep 19, 2008 4:27 pm

Plugs and Wires!!

Welcome to the site and good luck!

-Derek
Back to top Go down
jimmyriv
Junkie
jimmyriv

Name : James
Merit : 8

PostSubject: Re: "NEW" Riv owner,new to the site...PROBS..Help   "NEW" Riv owner,new to the site...PROBS..Help EmptyFri Sep 19, 2008 5:27 pm

Welcome to the Forum, Whatleese cheers
Back to top Go down
http://myspace.com/jimmyriv
mdhall1
mdhall1

Name : Matt
Merit : 1

PostSubject: Re: "NEW" Riv owner,new to the site...PROBS..Help   "NEW" Riv owner,new to the site...PROBS..Help EmptyMon Sep 29, 2008 12:28 am

I battled the same problem for a few months just figured it out with help from these guys. My problem ended up being a bad coil (brand new auto zone POS) the way I found out isn't pretty but it worked. With the car running I pulled each plug wire off the coil packs. You will get a small shock if it is a good coil and it should run like crap when unpluged. My middle coil pack one side was working one side wasn't.

To get to the back plugs I take the alternator off and the vaccum box (Black rectangle shape not sure what it's called) at the firewall off. This gives me plenty of room to lay across the motor and reach
behind.
Good luck,
Back to top Go down
djlorenzana
djlorenzana

Name : Diego

PostSubject: Re: "NEW" Riv owner,new to the site...PROBS..Help   "NEW" Riv owner,new to the site...PROBS..Help EmptyWed Oct 01, 2008 6:11 pm

I would agree with what has been posted I have seen "bucking" with all of the above the hardest one for me to diagnose was the MAF sensor... plugs and wires could do it, fuel pump and or clogged filter does this, plugged up injectors as well... so getting your car scanned is a great first step and the easy stuff (not so easy on the riv) plugs and wires is always good...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: "NEW" Riv owner,new to the site...PROBS..Help   "NEW" Riv owner,new to the site...PROBS..Help Empty

Back to top Go down

"NEW" Riv owner,new to the site...PROBS..Help
Page 1 of 1