Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

Stupid Lumbar!!

Go down 
+12
IBx1
T Riley
ibmoses
captshiner
Rickw
Chicken
deekster_caddy
sburch23
vendetta
Shintsu
16 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Shintsu
Expert

Name : Shintsu
Merit : -16

Stupid Lumbar!! Empty
PostSubject: Stupid Lumbar!!   Stupid Lumbar!! EmptyThu Oct 30, 2008 12:50 am

So I went to put on the emergency brake in the parking lot tonight and when I did I pushed back against the chair like always and SNAP. I felt the lumbar push back into the seat. The bag isn't broken but somehow it's farther back in the seat than it should be. I don't suppose the seat comes apart where I could fix it? How much is a new damn seat going to run me, because I like my lumbar support! Seat is still comfy without it but I like having it dammit!
Back to top Go down
Mr.Riviera
Expert
Mr.Riviera

Name : Matthew
Merit : 101

Stupid Lumbar!! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Stupid Lumbar!!   Stupid Lumbar!! EmptyThu Oct 30, 2008 9:15 am

why do you set the brake when you park?

Back to top Go down

Name : Andrew
Merit : 123

Stupid Lumbar!! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Stupid Lumbar!!   Stupid Lumbar!! EmptyThu Oct 30, 2008 9:52 am

I also would like to know if anyone has taken apart the seat in the area of the lumbar support. Last winter, in the cold, i tried to adjust it and heard a slight snap. It is now stuck all the way out(which is where I like it), but I cant adjust it anymore. The motor runs, but no movement.

Expert

Stupid Lumbar!! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Stupid Lumbar!!   Stupid Lumbar!! EmptyThu Oct 30, 2008 12:12 pm

Mr.Riviera wrote:
1. So the car doesn't roll at all, this is a public parking lot and it has a dip in it.
2. I don't want some asswipe pulling up near me to bump my car and push it against the gears (Which it would if I didn't use emergency brake).

It's a habit that I'm not about to stop doing, I like the idea that my car isn't moving an inch with the emergency brake on.
Back to top Go down
vendetta
Enthusiast
vendetta

Name : Nick
Merit : 0

Stupid Lumbar!! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Stupid Lumbar!!   Stupid Lumbar!! EmptyThu Oct 30, 2008 3:33 pm

Shintsu wrote:
Mr.Riviera wrote:
1. So the car doesn't roll at all, this is a public parking lot and it has a dip in it.
2. I don't want some asswipe pulling up near me to bump my car and push it against the gears (Which it would if I didn't use emergency brake).

It's a habit that I'm not about to stop doing, I like the idea that my car isn't moving an inch with the emergency brake on.

its an automatic... get over it... smoke
Back to top Go down
sburch23
Addict
sburch23

Name : Scott
Merit : 14

Stupid Lumbar!! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Stupid Lumbar!!   Stupid Lumbar!! EmptyThu Oct 30, 2008 3:53 pm

It keeps the shifter from binding up.
Back to top Go down
deekster_caddy
Master

Name : Derek
Merit : 109

Stupid Lumbar!! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Stupid Lumbar!!   Stupid Lumbar!! EmptyThu Oct 30, 2008 4:41 pm

Does it matter? Back to the original question please!

Hijackers.

Probably stripped the gear off. How hard to you have to push when you step on the pedal?

Does it move anymore when you move the switch?
Back to top Go down
Mr.Riviera
Expert
Mr.Riviera

Stupid Lumbar!! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Stupid Lumbar!!   Stupid Lumbar!! EmptyThu Oct 30, 2008 5:42 pm

you might want to go to a local junk yard with a riv and pull the seat apart so you know how to w/out breaking tabs and so you can see how it is set up. maybe someone here with a parts car and the lumbar option can pull the seat apart and take some pics for you.

Back to top Go down
Chicken
Aficionado
Chicken

Name : Mark
Merit : 8

Stupid Lumbar!! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Stupid Lumbar!!   Stupid Lumbar!! EmptyThu Oct 30, 2008 5:54 pm

Shintsu wrote:
So I went to put on the emergency brake in the parking lot tonight and when I did I pushed back against the chair like always and SNAP. I felt the lumbar push back into the seat. The bag isn't broken but somehow it's farther back in the seat than it should be. I don't suppose the seat comes apart where I could fix it? How much is a new damn seat going to run me, because I like my lumbar support! Seat is still comfy without it but I like having it dammit!

Here...

Tape this across your lower back
Stupid Lumbar!! Summer%20Sausage

..Also when you're out of the car, you can use it as a club to get all the dogs off of you....
Back to top Go down
http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile
Rickw
Guru

Name : Rick
Merit : 119

Stupid Lumbar!! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Stupid Lumbar!!   Stupid Lumbar!! EmptyThu Oct 30, 2008 5:58 pm

Hey,
The Chicken is back in Prime Form.
How's it hangin'.......
Back to top Go down
captshiner
Junkie
captshiner

Name : Andrew
Merit : -1

Stupid Lumbar!! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Stupid Lumbar!!   Stupid Lumbar!! EmptyThu Oct 30, 2008 7:16 pm

Or you can just unwrap it and make some canine friends.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=572362129
ibmoses
Aficionado
ibmoses

Name : Bert
Merit : 32

Stupid Lumbar!! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Stupid Lumbar!!   Stupid Lumbar!! EmptyThu Oct 30, 2008 8:35 pm

Shintsu wrote:
Mr.Riviera wrote:

I would start calling/searching the scrap yards in your area. But they will probably want a couple of hundred dollars for a seat.
You may have to follow Chickens advice and get a small pillow.

jesus Grasshopper, no offense intended but using the emergency brake for normal parking just ain't cool. If you are on a hill that OK but just because the drivers edumacation teacher did it dont mean you have to. crazy
Someday you will find a female friend, when you set the emergency brake to park on level ground, she is going to automatically start thinking you are strange... suspect

Bert tavis
Back to top Go down
Shintsu
Expert

Stupid Lumbar!! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Stupid Lumbar!!   Stupid Lumbar!! EmptyThu Oct 30, 2008 9:19 pm

Derek, it does still move when I use the switch it just feels like it is further back into the seat - as if I might have knocked it loose of the guide that held it in place or something.

About the emergency brake, 85% of areas I park have SOME kind of incline. I do NOT trust people in parking lots not to be jackasses and push up against my car with theirs when parking and putting tension against my car's transmission. Just because you are not concerned with taking care of your car doesn't mean I'm not. It hurts NOTHING using that brake and it makes 100% sure your car doesn't go anywhere. Park is NOT sufficient to keep the car 100% still.

What next, you gonna tell me on a manual it's best to pull the brake and leave the shifter in neutral? WRONG. Even from my limited driving of the Volvo's manual I know when you're parking somewhere you should use the emergency brake IN ADDITION to putting the shifter into 1st or Reverse so if the brake cable breaks your car doesn't just roll away. Preventative measures don't hurt anything especially if you already do them regularly like I do.
Back to top Go down
deekster_caddy
Master

Name : Derek
Merit : 109

Stupid Lumbar!! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Stupid Lumbar!!   Stupid Lumbar!! EmptyThu Oct 30, 2008 11:04 pm

I have never disassembled one of these seats. I have no idea what's going on in there... something broke. :shrug:

I have no problem with using your parking brake as a habit. I don't but I understand those who do. It is one way to make sure your parking brake cables are always working! I can't tell you how many older cars I had where the parking brake got rusty and I had to put it on and it never came back off... without complete disassembly of the rears. That hasn't happened to me in a long time, but it's a good habit as far as I'm concerned. Can we put that to rest already? It has nothing to do with his problem!

Morads occasionally gets seats. What color is your interior? I know they don't have a tan seat right now, I just asked them about one... maybe we could split something if you find a complete seat. I'm looking for a new heating element.
Back to top Go down
T Riley
Guru
T Riley

Name : Travis
Merit : 10

Stupid Lumbar!! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Stupid Lumbar!!   Stupid Lumbar!! EmptyThu Oct 30, 2008 11:09 pm

Ah SHUCKS!!!!!! Buy a volvo...... You know it wouldn't happen if you bought a Volvo......
Back to top Go down
http://www.rivperformance.com
Mr.Riviera
Expert
Mr.Riviera

Stupid Lumbar!! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Stupid Lumbar!!   Stupid Lumbar!! EmptyThu Oct 30, 2008 11:59 pm

actually i think ed morad has a few in his ebay store. not sure of the selection, but i recall a red set.

i didnt mean to open a can of worms asking about the parking brake. i was only curious as to your reason. i have a few friends who do the same thing in their autos and i never saw the reason behind it other than they once had manuals and it became habit.
me personally, i have trust in the parking claw...and we dont have hills in FL.

Back to top Go down
Shintsu
Expert

Stupid Lumbar!! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Stupid Lumbar!!   Stupid Lumbar!! EmptyFri Oct 31, 2008 12:39 am

Derek, my interior is tan colored. I haven't had any free time to check a junkyard or fiddle with a seat there. Whatever I broke in the seat, if I push back hard I can feel it push back further but it does pop back out a little bit (Not as far as it should be but I can feel it pushing back against me some).
Back to top Go down
IBx1
Expert
IBx1

Name : ILAN
Merit : 69

Stupid Lumbar!! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Stupid Lumbar!!   Stupid Lumbar!! EmptyFri Oct 31, 2008 6:12 am

Shintsu wrote:
Mr.Riviera wrote:

I also do this, and every time I park. Not only those two reasons, but you look like a terrible driver when you park and then your car lurches forward, hits the transbrake and then rocks back and forth a few times. I'd rather not look like an idiot, and have my car not move at all once I stop. I like being smooooooth.

EDIT**** Sorry about the thread jack, I just saw everyone trying to end it so...yeah. That sucks about the lumbar, but put your hand on the back of the seat when you push it. Let us know if you feel it hitting the back of the seat. You may have had like a rusty screw that was holding the actual bar to the seat frame that broke off. Sounds like if you took the leather off and got down to the yucky old foam you would be able to replace the screw with like a new nut and bolt and be on your way.

If you've got time on a weekend, try it out.
Back to top Go down
BMD
Aficionado
BMD

Name : BMD
Merit : 36

Stupid Lumbar!! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Stupid Lumbar!!   Stupid Lumbar!! EmptyMon Feb 01, 2010 8:05 pm

Well, my lumbar stopped working. When I put the switch in either the inflate or deflate position, I hear the motor working but the lumbar doesn't actually do anything. Any ideas on what to check?
Back to top Go down
Straight 8
Special

Name : Bob
Merit : 1

Stupid Lumbar!! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Stupid Lumbar!!   Stupid Lumbar!! EmptyMon Feb 01, 2010 8:22 pm

I had trouble with mine and it was a broken piece of plastic across the back of the seat. I was able to drill a couple of holes and lace it together with some 1/8 inch cord. The back of the seat comes off if you lift it carefully.
Back to top Go down
Rickw
Guru

Name : Rick
Merit : 119

Stupid Lumbar!! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Stupid Lumbar!!   Stupid Lumbar!! EmptyMon Feb 01, 2010 8:39 pm

turtleman just finished having some work done on his seats and took pic's of the Lumbar Support mechanism with the leather covering off the seat.
The Pic's may help you understand better.
Might want to try a "Search" for Seat or Seats and see if you can find it.
Here it is:
https://rivperformance.editboard.com/interior-f20/front-seat-interchangability-t6649.htm
Back to top Go down
BMD
Aficionado
BMD

Stupid Lumbar!! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Stupid Lumbar!!   Stupid Lumbar!! EmptyTue Feb 02, 2010 12:25 am

Thanks for the link Rick and thank you Bob for the reair idea. I am definately going to do that once the freezing cold weather breaks. Cheers!

P.S. Reeeallly useful pics Turtleman, thanks! thumbsup
Back to top Go down
Straight 8
Special

Name : Bob
Merit : 1

Stupid Lumbar!! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Stupid Lumbar!!   Stupid Lumbar!! EmptyTue Feb 02, 2010 9:22 am

I was wrong in removing the seat back. It is held on with those one way push pin fasteners on the bottom corners. You need to be careful pulling those so you don't tear the fiber backboard, There is a plastic lip that holds the top portion, a light downward tug and it drops away from the seat.
Back to top Go down
BMD
Aficionado
BMD

Stupid Lumbar!! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Stupid Lumbar!!   Stupid Lumbar!! EmptyTue Feb 02, 2010 11:59 am

The dealership has already broken the fiber backboard. I've had to use some aluminum and pop rivets to repair them. But thanks for the warning.
Back to top Go down
GMFreak8
Addict
GMFreak8

Name : Kyle
Merit : 15

Stupid Lumbar!! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Stupid Lumbar!!   Stupid Lumbar!! EmptySat Feb 13, 2010 3:23 pm

BMD wrote:
Well, my lumbar stopped working. When I put the switch in either the inflate or deflate position, I hear the motor working but the lumbar doesn't actually do anything. Any ideas on what to check?

Mine just did the same thing. It was cold out one morning, I was on a trip, and I decided to adjust the lumbar. Next thing I know I hear a cracking/popping sound and the lumbar stopped moving. It's now stuck out all the way (which I hate). The motor runs, but the lumbar does nothing.

Has anyone successfully repaired one of these? The previous owner broke the clips on the bottom that hold the rear seat cover on, so I lifted that up slightly, but I don't want to cause any damage. I checked the pictures in the threads linked to, but I'm still not quite sure about how to go about taking the back all the way off without breaking anything more. Also how does the lumbar support feature work anyway?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Stupid Lumbar!! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Stupid Lumbar!!   Stupid Lumbar!! Empty

Back to top Go down

Stupid Lumbar!!
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next