Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

Series II Transmission + Series I Engine?

Go down 
+3
BillBoost37
1998 Riv
patillac
7 posters
AuthorMessage
patillac
patillac

Name : Pat
Merit : 1

Series II Transmission + Series I Engine? Empty
PostSubject: Series II Transmission + Series I Engine?   Series II Transmission + Series I Engine? EmptyWed Jul 23, 2008 11:02 am

so you guys know i got a1995sc riv with 113000 on it now.I am pretty sure the trans is on it way out cause it slips a little bit every now and then. i found a 1997 sc park ave they just got in at the junk yard the car runs and drives find and they $400 for the trans but will it work for the riv. taking that my car is a series 1 if not will the trans from a 1995 na riv since that has a series 2 in it too? help
Back to top Go down
http://myspace.com/1984caprice
1998 Riv
Expert
1998 Riv

Name : Dave
Merit : 44

PostSubject: Re: Series II Transmission + Series I Engine?   Series II Transmission + Series I Engine? EmptyWed Jul 23, 2008 11:05 am

The 97 trans would be preferable, but I'm not sure what would be involved in the swap. The 95 NA Riv trans should be same as yours, I'd think.
Back to top Go down
patillac
patillac

PostSubject: Re: Series II Transmission + Series I Engine?   Series II Transmission + Series I Engine? EmptyWed Jul 23, 2008 2:19 pm

anybody else got ideas on this? if i do got the trans from the park ave should i mess with the pcm in mine in cause i have no idea if the shift points are the same or not or just get the pcm from the p.a.?
Back to top Go down
BillBoost37
Junkie

Merit : 26

PostSubject: Re: Series II Transmission + Series I Engine?   Series II Transmission + Series I Engine? EmptyWed Jul 23, 2008 3:13 pm

Not sure how you could do it on your year. Unless GM Tuners could change up the trans parameters. The hangup on your year would be adding the 5-7 wires to the pcm from new trans connector and programming.
Back to top Go down
patillac
patillac

PostSubject: Re: Series II Transmission + Series I Engine?   Series II Transmission + Series I Engine? EmptyWed Jul 23, 2008 7:08 pm

so i have to get the pcm from the park ave?
Back to top Go down
lionfish
Enthusiast
lionfish

Merit : 5

PostSubject: Re: Series II Transmission + Series I Engine?   Series II Transmission + Series I Engine? EmptyWed Jul 23, 2008 7:22 pm

patillac wrote:
so you guys know i got a1995sc riv with 113000 on it now.I am pretty sure the trans is on it way out cause it slips a little bit every now and then. i found a 1997 sc park ave they just got in at the junk yard the car runs and drives find and they $400 for the trans but will it work for the riv. taking that my car is a series 1 if not will the trans from a 1995 na riv since that has a series 2 in it too? help

My 95 started slipping in first gear two months ago. I found tranny fluid in the lines connected to the vacuum modulator, a break in the vacuum lines off the throttle body and the tranny fluid was a few quarts low. I changed the modulator, replaced the vacuum lines and added fluid.

The tranny has been working great for two months now.
Back to top Go down
jamie
Fanatic
jamie

Name : Jamie

PostSubject: Stupid question lol   Series II Transmission + Series I Engine? EmptyMon Jun 29, 2009 2:14 pm

Is there any way to put a 4t65e-hd tranny on a series I motor?
Back to top Go down
http://www.vancehanesautoparts.com
jamie
Fanatic
jamie

PostSubject: Re: Series II Transmission + Series I Engine?   Series II Transmission + Series I Engine? EmptyFri Jul 03, 2009 12:25 pm

Will crazy glue work? lol
Back to top Go down
jamie
Fanatic
jamie

PostSubject: Re: Series II Transmission + Series I Engine?   Series II Transmission + Series I Engine? EmptyWed Jul 08, 2009 9:23 am

bump'
Back to top Go down
BillBoost37
Junkie

Merit : 26

PostSubject: Re: Series II Transmission + Series I Engine?   Series II Transmission + Series I Engine? EmptyThu Jul 09, 2009 8:22 am

You can physically bolt it up. Yes, it's the same in that respect.

Torque converter sizing should be checked 4T65HD's had 258mm converters.

Programming to control the trans will be the toughest part. When I helped Oldsman convert from a 96 4T60 to a 98 4T65 we needed to add 5 wires and change to a 97 pcm for ease of programming. Not sure being a 95 with totally different wiring how you'd control it. That pcm was never intended to controll that transmission.
Back to top Go down
gordy318
Amateur

Name : Gordy
Merit : -4

PostSubject: Re: Series II Transmission + Series I Engine?   Series II Transmission + Series I Engine? EmptySat Jul 11, 2009 11:51 am

As the late Billy mays would say. Mighty putty
Back to top Go down
jamie
Fanatic
jamie

PostSubject: Re: Series II Transmission + Series I Engine?   Series II Transmission + Series I Engine? EmptyWed Jun 16, 2010 9:46 am

sorry for bumping an old thread, but I hadn't said thanks to bill for his response yet, and so, thanks bill, haha, I think i'll avoid any complicated wiring / computer modifications to make that work., going to try to piece together a 4t60e and get the old girl back on the road.
Back to top Go down
95rivy
Enthusiast
95rivy

Name : curt
Merit : 3

PostSubject: Re: Series II Transmission + Series I Engine?   Series II Transmission + Series I Engine? EmptyThu Jun 17, 2010 10:17 pm

i think the 4T65HD has a different size flywheel also. than your 1995 trans. look at some other post, cuz i dont think this can done without highly mods.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Series II Transmission + Series I Engine?   Series II Transmission + Series I Engine? Empty

Back to top Go down

Series II Transmission + Series I Engine?
Page 1 of 1