Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

Possible to lower engine temp enough to safely run87 octane?

Go down 
+5
Rickw
1998 Riv
deekster_caddy
AA
duster_do_little
9 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
manofmany
Addict

Name : manofmany
Merit : 5

Possible to lower engine temp enough to safely run87 octane? - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Possible to lower engine temp enough to safely run87 octane?   Possible to lower engine temp enough to safely run87 octane? - Page 2 EmptyWed Dec 03, 2008 2:13 pm

I compromise and run 89 octane.
Back to top Go down
duster_do_little
Enthusiast
duster_do_little

Name : Dustin
Merit : 4

PostSubject: Re: Possible to lower engine temp enough to safely run87 octane?   Possible to lower engine temp enough to safely run87 octane? - Page 2 EmptyWed Dec 03, 2008 3:17 pm

at one of the local stations 89 used to be the same price as 87. At that time I didn't need it though. Now it's 9 cents more for 89 and 19 cents more for 91. And you can't get anything higher at any local gas stations.
Back to top Go down
curious riv
Addict
curious riv

Name : Chris
Merit : 3

PostSubject: Re: Possible to lower engine temp enough to safely run87 octane?   Possible to lower engine temp enough to safely run87 octane? - Page 2 EmptyWed Dec 03, 2008 4:07 pm

Even if gas went back up to where it was- knowing what I know now- I'd still use the 93 octane. I'm not into taking chances when it comes to something like my motor
Back to top Go down
Rickw
Guru

Name : Rick
Merit : 119

PostSubject: Re: Possible to lower engine temp enough to safely run87 octane?   Possible to lower engine temp enough to safely run87 octane? - Page 2 EmptyWed Dec 03, 2008 4:09 pm

.09 x 18 gals = $1.62
.19 x 18 gals = $3.42
You decide if it's worth it !!!!
Back to top Go down
curious riv
Addict
curious riv

PostSubject: Re: Possible to lower engine temp enough to safely run87 octane?   Possible to lower engine temp enough to safely run87 octane? - Page 2 EmptyWed Dec 03, 2008 4:26 pm

Spank that ricer or 5.0 stang and not worry about walking tomorrow and have to buy a new engine.... For me- its worth it. I'm not on the pedal alot, when I am- I'm not too worried about it
Back to top Go down
AA
Administrator
AA

Name : Aaron
Merit : 252

PostSubject: Re: Possible to lower engine temp enough to safely run87 octane?   Possible to lower engine temp enough to safely run87 octane? - Page 2 EmptyWed Dec 03, 2008 4:26 pm

Quote :
Especially in a car that weighs 1.5 tons.

Our cars are closer to 2 tons. Mine weighed in at 4087 lbs total.

'05 GTO 6.0L • 6-spd • 95k miles • 0-60: 4.8s • 16.9 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:26

'95 Celica GT 2.2L • 5-spd • 165k miles • 0-60: yes

'98 SC Riviera • 281k miles • 298 HP/370 TQ • 0-60: 5.79s • ET: 13.97 @ 99.28 • 4087 lb • 20.1 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:30
3.4" pulley • AL104 plugs • 180º t-stat • FWI w/K&N • 1.9:1 rockers • OR pushrods • LS6 valve springs • SLP headers • ZZP fuel rails
KYB GR2 struts • MaxAir shocks • Addco sway bars • UMI bushings • GM STB • Enkei 18" EV5s w/ Dunlop DZ101s • F-body calipers
EBC bluestuff/Hawk HP plus • SS lines • Brembo slotted discs • DHP tuned • Aeroforce • Hidden Hitch

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown

'70 Ninety-Eight Holiday Coupe 455cid • 116k miles
^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/657082/4
duster_do_little
Enthusiast
duster_do_little

PostSubject: Re: Possible to lower engine temp enough to safely run87 octane?   Possible to lower engine temp enough to safely run87 octane? - Page 2 EmptyThu Dec 04, 2008 12:25 am

curious riv wrote:
Spank that ricer or 5.0 stang and not worry about walking tomorrow and have to buy a new engine.... For me- its worth it. I'm not on the pedal alot, when I am- I'm not too worried about it

Eh, I've been in the pedal once and I love the sound of the supercharger, but without any work the car isn't "that" fast. I'm sure it would be fun beating ricers and stuff with it, because they don't expect it, but my 140hp Fiero runs the same 1/4 time (stock). IMO, the car weighs 1.5 tons, i drive it as my luxury car. My Fiero weighs a little over 1 ton and has a really low center of gravity, so I drive it for fun. I love the sound of my fiero (stock) compared to the riv (stock) too. The Fiero sounds mean, but the Riv you can barely hear. The Fiero's a GT too, if you're wondering.
Back to top Go down
duster_do_little
Enthusiast
duster_do_little

PostSubject: Re: Possible to lower engine temp enough to safely run87 octane?   Possible to lower engine temp enough to safely run87 octane? - Page 2 EmptyThu Dec 04, 2008 12:26 am

AA wrote:
Quote :
Especially in a car that weighs 1.5 tons.

Our cars are closer to 2 tons. Mine weighed in at 4087 lbs total.

True, I think when I was looking up the weight of a 97 riv, the bare bones model was like 3700 lbs, and mine's loaded, so I'm sure it's pushing 2 tons
Back to top Go down
curious riv
Addict
curious riv

PostSubject: Re: Possible to lower engine temp enough to safely run87 octane?   Possible to lower engine temp enough to safely run87 octane? - Page 2 EmptyThu Dec 04, 2008 9:49 am

duster_do_little wrote:

Eh, I've been in the pedal once and I love the sound of the supercharger, but without any work the car isn't "that" fast. I'm sure it would be fun beating ricers and stuff with it, because they don't expect it,
She's fast enough!!! And only going to get better...
It is fun showing people that the Riv is not just all looks(though some people cant appreciate that)
Back to top Go down
duster_do_little
Enthusiast
duster_do_little

PostSubject: Re: Possible to lower engine temp enough to safely run87 octane?   Possible to lower engine temp enough to safely run87 octane? - Page 2 EmptyThu Dec 04, 2008 10:53 am

How's this. I put the 3800sc in my fiero...it weighs about 2700 lbs and is me rwd (great traction and balancing). How much harder will it be to get the buick an FE FWD car that weighs near 2 tons to go just as fast. Both are sleepers to anyone that knows anything about cars. The only people that think Fieros are fast are those that don't know what they are.
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :
Merit : 180

PostSubject: Re: Possible to lower engine temp enough to safely run87 octane?   Possible to lower engine temp enough to safely run87 octane? - Page 2 EmptyThu Dec 04, 2008 11:13 am

There is an annual 'owners show' at my local Buick dealer - last time I wnt, a guy who put a supercharged Pontiac 3800 with MSD ignition (orig. ignition would not fit) into a Chevy Cavalier Z24 was there. It actually fit pretty nice but he had to use heavier springs (I think Bonneville springs/struts) in the front and custom (but not complicated) engine/tranny mounts to make it all work.

Apparently this combo is tough to beat in a straight line. Too nose-heavy to handle all that well as he had it set up.

Nicest thing about the car actually was the owner/driver. He'd done the work himself and shared how he fabricated the mounts, moved the battery (Optima in the trunk) and systematically solved the problems getting the 3800 to fit and work. He pointed out that the RIv's balance is inherently better, the car actually does not weigh *that* much more than the Cavalier (that surprised me), and speculated about the modifications that could be made with modest fabrication capabiltiy.

Albertj
Back to top Go down
duster_do_little
Enthusiast
duster_do_little

PostSubject: Re: Possible to lower engine temp enough to safely run87 octane?   Possible to lower engine temp enough to safely run87 octane? - Page 2 EmptyThu Dec 04, 2008 12:23 pm

Yeah, with the Fiero, the 3800 doesn't weigh much more than the 2.8 liter that's already in it, the engine and tranny drop right down in, only thing needed to be done is swapping PCM and wiring harness, motor mounts, new axles, new exhaust, and a tranny kit so that it works with the Fiero. The battery can still fit in the back, but most people relocate to the front of the car (where the small spare tire goes). Also, a lot of people don't put a lot of work into the exhaust and end up cutting out the bottom part of the trunk because of that. There's a guy right now in the low 11's in a daily driven 3800sc fiero.

here's a link to one of his times https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nni_20nyXwM The headlight covers pop up at the end because of the wind, lol.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Possible to lower engine temp enough to safely run87 octane?   Possible to lower engine temp enough to safely run87 octane? - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Possible to lower engine temp enough to safely run87 octane?
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2