Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

Now its electrical...

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Ryan from Ohio
Fanatic

Name : Ryan
Merit : 7

Now its electrical... Empty
PostSubject: Now its electrical...   Now its electrical... EmptyWed Jan 07, 2009 2:54 pm

So now everything seems to be going good after a motor swap, shock compressor ceased to function, new shocks, now...

I goto start the car Monday at our Hotel (we were on small vacation) and it didnt want to start!

Well it got going and everything seemed to be fine.

Then yesterday she wouldnt start near home, got my other car and it started right up w/jump. Battery tested BAD at Advance Auto so I went and bought a new Delco battery @ dealer.

She drives the car to school this morning, took it to lunch and went out for a smoke break and it started every time- except when she went to leave.

I got there, she said alarm went off for a few minutes then shut off? I tried to jump car and it made the clicks under the seat, one under the hood- not from started though. Nothing. I tapped it with a wrench and seen a spark...

Not sure whats up. Im thinking the alternator may have died and killed the old battery and now the new one... Or theres a short up front by/on the starter...?

At any rate I dont think it will start until I disconnect the battery and reset the computer... So thats next try before calling a tow truck.

Not happy frown
Back to top Go down
AA
Administrator
AA

Name : Aaron
Merit : 252

PostSubject: Re: Now its electrical...   Now its electrical... EmptyWed Jan 07, 2009 3:06 pm

Make sure all grounds/straps are connected to engine, frame, alternator, etc.

'05 GTO 6.0L • 6-spd • 95k miles • 0-60: 4.8s • 16.9 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:26

'95 Celica GT 2.2L • 5-spd • 165k miles • 0-60: yes

'98 SC Riviera • 281k miles • 298 HP/370 TQ • 0-60: 5.79s • ET: 13.97 @ 99.28 • 4087 lb • 20.1 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:30
3.4" pulley • AL104 plugs • 180º t-stat • FWI w/K&N • 1.9:1 rockers • OR pushrods • LS6 valve springs • SLP headers • ZZP fuel rails
KYB GR2 struts • MaxAir shocks • Addco sway bars • UMI bushings • GM STB • Enkei 18" EV5s w/ Dunlop DZ101s • F-body calipers
EBC bluestuff/Hawk HP plus • SS lines • Brembo slotted discs • DHP tuned • Aeroforce • Hidden Hitch

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown

'70 Ninety-Eight Holiday Coupe 455cid • 116k miles
^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/657082/4
Ryan from Ohio
Fanatic

PostSubject: Re: Now its electrical...   Now its electrical... EmptyWed Jan 07, 2009 3:16 pm

AA wrote:
Make sure all grounds/straps are connected to engine, frame, alternator, etc.

Well the kick is since the motors been swapped this cars been drove probably 1500 miles...

bonk
Back to top Go down
1995 Riv
Enthusiast

Name : Don
Merit : 1

PostSubject: Re: Now its electrical...   Now its electrical... EmptyWed Jan 07, 2009 3:41 pm

Alarm if set will go off if you manually unlock door from the inside lock at inside door handle. Owners manual has a good narrative of how it works. New Batteries only have about a half charge 2 or 3 minutes of the alarm going off and a lot of starts along with the cold weather could run it down. Don't let dead battery sit it might freeze in this Ohio weather. Since you bought a Delco if it has an eye on it you can tell from the color what is going on with it. Clear or light yellow replace battery. Green dot or any green battery ready to test. Green not visible charge battery and test electrical system and battery.
Back to top Go down
deekster_caddy
Master

Name : Derek
Merit : 109

PostSubject: Re: Now its electrical...   Now its electrical... EmptyWed Jan 07, 2009 8:22 pm

Does it have a remote start or aftermarket alarm? Sometimes locking the doors in an unusual way can aggravate the factory security system.
Back to top Go down
Ryan from Ohio
Fanatic

PostSubject: Re: Now its electrical...   Now its electrical... EmptyWed Jan 07, 2009 8:30 pm

Ok guys, I got it fixed!

Out of the oven- into the FRYING PAN!

Turns out the sparks I noticed was due to a loose wire- why it wouldnt start... The nut wasnt on the positive power supply wire... SO I put one on it, tightened it down and hooray...

Figured while Im at it I will program my replacement key FOB. Done. Now to address a split hose under the hood. Done. I also found another hose off on the 2 bar sensor or whatever it is...

Then the biggie...

The fuel line is leaking! Right at the plastic elbow, the rear connector!

Im pissed right now. I cant even find the part online. I will be searching forums in a minute...
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :
Merit : 180

PostSubject: Re: Now its electrical...   Now its electrical... EmptyWed Jan 07, 2009 10:29 pm

phone or visit a parts store, you will probably find a repair kit that will work just as well as a repalcement line if not better.

Albertj
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Now its electrical...   Now its electrical... Empty

Back to top Go down

Now its electrical...
Page 1 of 1