Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

Bouncy ride in cold weather

Go down 
+4
AA
deekster_caddy
albertj
steve314159
8 posters
AuthorMessage
steve314159
Amateur

Name : Steve
Merit : 3

Bouncy ride in cold weather Empty
PostSubject: Bouncy ride in cold weather   Bouncy ride in cold weather EmptySun Feb 01, 2009 8:38 pm

OK it's been a little cold here in Indiana the last few weeks, between 5 and 15 degrees F. My 95 seems to no longer have shock absorbers and bounces around like it's on stilts standing on a balloon. When it warms up it seems to be better. Any advice?
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :
Merit : 181

PostSubject: Re: Bouncy ride in cold weather   Bouncy ride in cold weather EmptySun Feb 01, 2009 8:47 pm

most likely you need new shocks/struts. The cold weather just helped the problem show up. This is not a 'characteristic' of the car in cold weather. We have similar temps where I live, my car does not do that and yours is the only post I know of complaining about this problem.

Albertj
Back to top Go down
deekster_caddy
Master

Name : Derek
Merit : 109

PostSubject: Re: Bouncy ride in cold weather   Bouncy ride in cold weather EmptyMon Feb 02, 2009 8:27 am

agree Most likely you need new shocks/struts.
Back to top Go down
AA
Administrator
AA

Name : Aaron
Merit : 252

PostSubject: Re: Bouncy ride in cold weather   Bouncy ride in cold weather EmptyMon Feb 02, 2009 9:15 am

MOVED TO: BRAKES & SUSPENSION

'05 GTO 6.0L • 6-spd • 95k miles • 0-60: 4.8s • 16.9 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:26

'95 Celica GT 2.2L • 5-spd • 165k miles • 0-60: yes

'98 SC Riviera • 281k miles • 298 HP/370 TQ • 0-60: 5.79s • ET: 13.97 @ 99.28 • 4087 lb • 20.1 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:30
3.4" pulley • AL104 plugs • 180º t-stat • FWI w/K&N • 1.9:1 rockers • OR pushrods • LS6 valve springs • SLP headers • ZZP fuel rails
KYB GR2 struts • MaxAir shocks • Addco sway bars • UMI bushings • GM STB • Enkei 18" EV5s w/ Dunlop DZ101s • F-body calipers
EBC bluestuff/Hawk HP plus • SS lines • Brembo slotted discs • DHP tuned • Aeroforce • Hidden Hitch

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown

'70 Ninety-Eight Holiday Coupe 455cid • 116k miles
^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/657082/4
Sweepspear
Fanatic
Sweepspear

Name : Dale
Merit : 11

PostSubject: Re: Bouncy ride in cold weather   Bouncy ride in cold weather EmptyMon Feb 02, 2009 9:50 am

Mine rides like it has no suspension travel at all when it's below zero.

cold

The build sheet for mine lists the soft ride suspension, but even in warm weather it has a firm ride.
I think someone improved things over the years with firmer springs or something.
I'm not complaining.
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :

PostSubject: Re: Bouncy ride in cold weather   Bouncy ride in cold weather EmptyMon Feb 02, 2009 10:51 am

Different people have different ideas of 'firm.'

I think the '96 Riv's ride was firm compared to the stock ride of say a '70 Riv. It was also somewhat lighter (you would know). Compared to say an Audi, I would not call the 95-99 Riv's ride firm. A stock Lincoln Mk VIII with the air suspension had a firmer ride than a stock Riviera, swayed much less in slalom corners as well.

As far as Steve-Pi the Newbie goes - I think his shocks are not firming up as he drives, I just think the Dramamine is kicking in... He's got 3 choices, sort of.

1) get OE replacement struts/shocks from RockAuto.Com and install or have a local independent mechanic install... this will give him That Boulevard Ride

2) get Monroe fronts and Monroe Max-Air MA822 rears, and install or have local mechanic install - recommend getting the Monroe front strut mount kits (mount, strut bearing, misc hardware) too... This will give a comfy ride pretty much like OE but with less of the 'bobbing' on undulating secondary roads (the "twisties" out in the countryside)

3) get KYB fronts and OE or Monroe Max-Air rears (again getting the mount kits, KYB this time). My Riv has KYB front / OE rear (is on the 3rd set) - made the mistake of using OE mounts in front, they both failed for some reason, and I'm having them changed out today - but I'm very pleased with the ride otherwise.

One of the problems for many newbies, I think, is that like many (if not most) used cars there's lots of catch-up maintenance to do on a Riv bought used; unlike many used cars the parts are costlier than you might expect. Mabye Steve-Pi will comment.

Albertj
Back to top Go down
97rivsc
Fanatic
97rivsc

Name : mike
Merit : 0

PostSubject: Re: Bouncy ride in cold weather   Bouncy ride in cold weather EmptyMon Feb 02, 2009 12:36 pm

does kyb still not make their struts simple to install on the 97? I know that 98-99 is fairly easy to do but the configuration is a little bit different on the 97.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2007661&id=1593150315#/pro
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :

PostSubject: Re: Bouncy ride in cold weather   Bouncy ride in cold weather EmptyMon Feb 02, 2009 12:48 pm

Mike: as far as I know you are correct, '97 is a problem. I have a '98.

You might consider Gabriels if you have a '97.

Albertj
Back to top Go down
JimmyRiviera
Rookie

Merit : 0

PostSubject: Re: Bouncy ride in cold weather   Bouncy ride in cold weather EmptyMon Feb 02, 2009 3:35 pm

I'm with Steve on this one. I have a 95 Riv that rides like it has no suspension at all when the weather gets real cold. I doubt the shocks or struts have ever been replaced.
Back to top Go down
1998 Riv
Expert
1998 Riv

Name : Dave
Merit : 44

PostSubject: Re: Bouncy ride in cold weather   Bouncy ride in cold weather EmptyMon Feb 02, 2009 4:38 pm

JimmyRiviera wrote:
I'm with Steve on this one. I have a 95 Riv that rides like it has no suspension at all when the weather gets real cold. I doubt the shocks or struts have ever been replaced.

There's the likely culprit.

I replaced mine with KYB's a couple years ago. Were probably original, at 100k, and looked like they had 200k on them. Time for new ones....
Back to top Go down
Sweepspear
Fanatic
Sweepspear

Name : Dale
Merit : 11

PostSubject: Re: Bouncy ride in cold weather   Bouncy ride in cold weather EmptyTue Feb 03, 2009 12:45 pm

Why would a KYB strut be any more difficult to install than any other brand?
I have installed many sets of struts on many brands of cars over the years, and for the most part it's the same proceedure for all of them.
suspect
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :

PostSubject: Re: Bouncy ride in cold weather   Bouncy ride in cold weather EmptyTue Feb 03, 2009 12:58 pm

IIRC, GM changed the G-body front end suspension in '97 and '98. The changes went beyond swapping a knuckle with smooth holes for the strut base bolts for one that has splines.

Albertj
Back to top Go down
steve314159
Amateur

Name : Steve
Merit : 3

PostSubject: Re: Bouncy ride in cold weather   Bouncy ride in cold weather EmptySat Feb 07, 2009 4:46 pm

Albertj, you are correct that I have had a lot of maintenance to do since buying the car with 88k on it. It has 135k now and those have to be the original shocks so they'll be next to get replaced. I just finished the lower intake manifold and SC coupler so I'm a little burned out right now. Thanks for all your help.

Steve
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :

PostSubject: Re: Bouncy ride in cold weather   Bouncy ride in cold weather EmptySat Feb 07, 2009 4:56 pm

I understand what you mean by burned out, Steve-pi. Did my front brakes (outside) today. Was going to do all 4 corners, but decided to "declare victory" after getting the fronts done. Want a laugh. I installed EBC pads - am starting a thread about my experience with them. Have a look.

Albertj
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Bouncy ride in cold weather   Bouncy ride in cold weather Empty

Back to top Go down

Bouncy ride in cold weather
Page 1 of 1