Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

FAQ: Shocks & Struts Options

Go down 
+64
EyeDoc1
nickwon
High Chaparral
jbird
skatterbrane
Oldschool79
LARRY70GS
brettfavreisamonster
RvieraRider
KnottyEagle
Abaddon
69GSColorado
matt270avian
Johnny5
al_roethlisberger
pbrktrt
charlieRobinson
highwaywarrior
The Roadmaster
ZEP
Z-type
billy1290
RidzRiv
werdstrave
DEMonte1997
97 park ave
BMD
Jamax
crlombardi69
turtleman
J. Chris Davis
robotennis61
manofmany
Derek
bullseye-shawn
VJD2
brian10962001
Lumenstein98
Ash
Eldo
texasfan010
Mr.Riviera
TonySmooth89
curious riv
97rivsc
EASHER
Rickw
Natesriv
'96reese
Buapo
Joey98riv
Fuzzy
deekster_caddy
albertj
Jack the R
SpaceBar
dreww
1998rivman
SilveR
AA
1998 Riv
jhodges
68 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 9 ... 16  Next
AuthorMessage
Rickw
Guru

Name : Rick
Merit : 119

FAQ: Shocks & Struts Options - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Shocks & Struts Options   FAQ: Shocks & Struts Options - Page 3 EmptyThu Jan 29, 2009 2:53 pm

Nate,
When I went looking for complete units with springs I came up empty. None of the Auto Part Stores I tried sold them complete for the Riviera.
They sold complete units for other cars though. Just not a big enough demand for them produce ones for our cars I guess.
What I ended up doing was purchasing some Monroe Sensa-Trac Struts with a lifetime warranty, Springs from GM, Monroe upper supports with new bearings, spring rubbers upper and lower, bellows and bump stops.
Then had shop with proper spring compressor assemble complete new strut assemblies from all the parts I bought and then they just had to swap out the assembled units.
I'm glad I went the extra mile with new springs and all because until I changed all that stuff i didn't realize just how bad the thing rode. Made a huge difference with the new springs, ride height on front went back up to where it belonged and ride comfort along with a firmer front end made the car more stable. I highly recommend replacing springs with struts even if you have low miles, it's the number of years that take a toll on the springs as well as mileage.
Back to top Go down
1998 Riv
Expert
1998 Riv

Name : Dave
Merit : 44

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Shocks & Struts Options   FAQ: Shocks & Struts Options - Page 3 EmptyThu Jan 29, 2009 4:16 pm

I 2nd Rick's suggestion on the springs. I did KYB struts and mounts, and new GM springs last year. The springs do start to sag when the miles are piling up. They're not exactly cheap though. New struts and mounts will make a big diff by themselves.
Back to top Go down
Rickw
Guru

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Shocks & Struts Options   FAQ: Shocks & Struts Options - Page 3 EmptyThu Jan 29, 2009 6:11 pm

I only paid $50.00 for the pair of springs for the front, I thought that was reasonable / cheap.
GM OEM, showed the local dealer a print out from GMPD or one of the others and he matched the price.
I bought the struts locally for the warranty and everything else I got on-line. Just need to do a little shopping and price matching, Monroe and MOOG products.
Back to top Go down
Natesriv
Addict
Natesriv

Name : Nate
Merit : 16

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Shocks & Struts Options   FAQ: Shocks & Struts Options - Page 3 EmptyThu Jan 29, 2009 10:33 pm

I need them pretty bad, you get used to it and I can't wait to feel how it drives after!
Back to top Go down
1998 Riv
Expert
1998 Riv

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Shocks & Struts Options   FAQ: Shocks & Struts Options - Page 3 EmptyFri Jan 30, 2009 9:16 am

Rickw wrote:
I only paid $50.00 for the pair of springs for the front, I thought that was reasonable / cheap................

Holy CRAP, he GAVE you those springs, if they were new OEM parts. $25 a piece???? DAMN... I got about 25% off GM list and I know I paid a hell of a lot more than that.
Back to top Go down
1998 Riv
Expert
1998 Riv

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Shocks & Struts Options   FAQ: Shocks & Struts Options - Page 3 EmptyFri Jan 30, 2009 9:21 am

GMPD shows GM list at $138, their price is $82 per spring. Don't know how he let you have them at $50/pair, lucky you! smile

BTW, that is for a 98/99. GMPD shows the 95/96 p/n is obsolete.
Back to top Go down
Rickw
Guru

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Shocks & Struts Options   FAQ: Shocks & Struts Options - Page 3 EmptyFri Jan 30, 2009 9:53 am

www.monsterpartsonline.com shows the springs available for 95-96 @ $108.65 each.
I'll have to dig out my paperwork and find out how I got them so cheap.
I remember he had one set in stock and wanted to to get rid of them because they had been there for a long time, maybe it was $50.00 each. I'll have to check.
There are other options for aftermarket OEM quality springs for less than the 108.56 each price.
There is a topic on here titled "Aftermarket Springs" and references www.coilsprings.com for a price of $148.40 / pair for the fronts. Don't know if that price is still valid. Write up is dated Feb, 07.
Select the CUSTOM SPRINGS option and request a quote.
The GM part number for 95-96 front spring is # 22132791, if that's of any help.
Back to top Go down
1998 Riv
Expert
1998 Riv

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Shocks & Struts Options   FAQ: Shocks & Struts Options - Page 3 EmptyFri Jan 30, 2009 11:09 am

Yeah, if he had them there forever, I can see getting a great deal on them.
Back to top Go down
Natesriv
Addict
Natesriv

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Shocks & Struts Options   FAQ: Shocks & Struts Options - Page 3 EmptyFri Jan 30, 2009 2:22 pm

here's a question. When you go to ... say Meineke, and they replace your struts, what are they replacing?

Isn't there some cartridge they put in, instead of the whole assembly?
Back to top Go down
1998 Riv
Expert
1998 Riv

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Shocks & Struts Options   FAQ: Shocks & Struts Options - Page 3 EmptyFri Jan 30, 2009 2:24 pm

No.
Back to top Go down
1998 Riv
Expert
1998 Riv

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Shocks & Struts Options   FAQ: Shocks & Struts Options - Page 3 EmptyFri Jan 30, 2009 2:25 pm

Well, what vehicle? Just in general? On my van for instance, I wouldn't bother with new springs. You don't need to on the Riv either, we're just suggesting that it's not a bad idea. NOT necessary though.
Back to top Go down
Rickw
Guru

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Shocks & Struts Options   FAQ: Shocks & Struts Options - Page 3 EmptyFri Jan 30, 2009 2:25 pm

Yes, they replace just the strut, which is a cartridge, which is a shock absorber. Don't go there!!!!!
Back to top Go down
1998 Riv
Expert
1998 Riv

But you do want new mounts/bearings. I'd assume they are part of a new strut job, but be sure to ask.
Back to top Go down
Rickw
Guru

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Shocks & Struts Options   FAQ: Shocks & Struts Options - Page 3 EmptyFri Jan 30, 2009 2:33 pm

I asked a shop like that if the mounts/bearings were part of the quote they gave me and they said no they were extra.
I have to disagree a little with Dave regarding the springs.
As he said they are not absolutely necessary, but the springs job is to support the weight of the car and the strut/shock absorber does what you expect a shock to do. Absorb the shocks in the road. If the springs are weak and worn the strut cannot support the weight of the car and will only wear out the new struts quicker.
Also, you wont get your ride quality and ride height back without replacing the springs also.
Back to top Go down
1998 Riv
Expert
1998 Riv

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Shocks & Struts Options   FAQ: Shocks & Struts Options - Page 3 EmptyFri Jan 30, 2009 3:18 pm

Correct, I'd always recommend new springs if you're driving on 100k oem springs. Guess we don't know how many miles are on Nate's car. I'm just saying, it isn't a requirement, if you simply cannot afford new springs.

Rick, I'll bet you're right about shops not including new mounts/bearings by default. When buying struts from KYB, these items are not included either, have to order them besides the strut itself.
Back to top Go down
Natesriv
Addict
Natesriv

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Shocks & Struts Options   FAQ: Shocks & Struts Options - Page 3 EmptyFri Jan 30, 2009 3:43 pm

I have about 105K.

I dont want to spend a ton, but I don't want the cheapest route either...

I see at advanced auto, you can buy a strut, without a spring. I'd buy that and have that installed. That would mean they could get to and inspect the strut mount plate & such too.....

Right now it really needs it!
Back to top Go down
1998 Riv
Expert
1998 Riv

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Shocks & Struts Options   FAQ: Shocks & Struts Options - Page 3 EmptyFri Jan 30, 2009 4:12 pm

With those miles, you really should do mounts/bearings also.
Back to top Go down
Rickw
Guru

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Shocks & Struts Options   FAQ: Shocks & Struts Options - Page 3 EmptyFri Jan 30, 2009 4:13 pm

Nate,
The whole thing has to be disassembled to replace the strut, it would be very wise to buy the upper mount/bearing assembly and have that installed with new strut at a minimum. Your upper mounts and bearings carry a lot of load as well as rotating with the steering, don't skimp on those. If you wait till they go bad it will cost the same amount of labor to replace them as it does the struts.
Back to top Go down
1998 Riv
Expert
1998 Riv

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Shocks & Struts Options   FAQ: Shocks & Struts Options - Page 3 EmptyFri Jan 30, 2009 4:17 pm

agree
Back to top Go down
1998 Riv
Expert
1998 Riv

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Shocks & Struts Options   FAQ: Shocks & Struts Options - Page 3 EmptyFri Jan 30, 2009 4:18 pm

They are listed under "strut mount" on that website.
Back to top Go down
Rickw
Guru

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Shocks & Struts Options   FAQ: Shocks & Struts Options - Page 3 EmptyFri Jan 30, 2009 4:23 pm

I think at the time I replaced all my parts I bought the strut upper mounts, upper and lower spring rubbers, bellows and bump stops from Rock Auto for a fair price.
Back to top Go down
deekster_caddy
Master

Name : Derek
Merit : 109

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Shocks & Struts Options   FAQ: Shocks & Struts Options - Page 3 EmptyFri Jan 30, 2009 5:35 pm

The only reason I would replace springs is if it's sagging (low) or lopsided when parked on a level surface. Unless you are looking for a different spring rate and have a custom spring made. Otherwise the struts take care of all the rest. A shop with a strut spring compressor will do the job with old or new springs for the same amount of labor, so it's only the cost of the springs that makes any difference.
Back to top Go down
Rickw
Guru

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Shocks & Struts Options   FAQ: Shocks & Struts Options - Page 3 EmptyFri Jan 30, 2009 5:47 pm

After installing new springs in mine, the front ride height went up about 3" and I stopped dragging my front chin spoiler every time I hit a bump or the driveway.
Back to top Go down
1998 Riv
Expert
1998 Riv

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Shocks & Struts Options   FAQ: Shocks & Struts Options - Page 3 EmptyFri Jan 30, 2009 7:48 pm

Same here, I scraped the spoiler with the old springs, not since I did new springs/struts.
Back to top Go down
EASHER
EASHER

Name : ERIK M. ASHER
Merit : 0

PostSubject: HAS ANYONE INSTALLED KYB AGX ADJUSTABLE STRUTS?   FAQ: Shocks & Struts Options - Page 3 EmptyThu Feb 05, 2009 8:46 am

I know that the GR-2 struts work, but I wanted to find out if anyone has tried the AGX struts to stiffen up the front suspension.
Back to top Go down
http://snardfarker.ning.com/profile/ERIKMASHER
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Shocks & Struts Options   FAQ: Shocks & Struts Options - Page 3 Empty

Back to top Go down

FAQ: Shocks & Struts Options
Page 3 of 16Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 9 ... 16  Next