Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

It never ends.. Transmission and TCC Problems

Go down 
+4
albertj
deekster_caddy
ibmoses
jamie
8 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
jamie
Fanatic
jamie

Name : Jamie
Merit : 1

It never ends.. Transmission and TCC Problems - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: It never ends.. Transmission and TCC Problems   It never ends.. Transmission and TCC Problems - Page 2 EmptyMon Jun 22, 2009 9:28 am

Thanks Everyone.

It does feel like I am still playing with four gears, just the forth one rev's a lot higher than it should.

I'm thinking i'll get this, and the exhaust leak fixed at the same time. I believe it's rusted through on the exhaust by the manifold.

I have also been considering a tranny cooler, would it be worthwhile for these 4t60e's?
Back to top Go down
http://www.vancehanesautoparts.com
AA
Administrator
AA

Name : Aaron
Merit : 252

PostSubject: Re: It never ends.. Transmission and TCC Problems   It never ends.. Transmission and TCC Problems - Page 2 EmptyMon Jun 22, 2009 9:33 am

If you get the TC clutch fixed, no need for a tranny cooler. If you don't get the TCC fixed, I'd get the tranny cooler immediately.

Keep in mind your fuel economy will suffer as long as the TCC isn't working properly. You're probably taking a 20-30% hit to your hwy MPG.

'05 GTO 6.0L • 6-spd • 95k miles • 0-60: 4.8s • 16.9 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:26

'95 Celica GT 2.2L • 5-spd • 165k miles • 0-60: yes

'98 SC Riviera • 281k miles • 298 HP/370 TQ • 0-60: 5.79s • ET: 13.97 @ 99.28 • 4087 lb • 20.1 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:30
3.4" pulley • AL104 plugs • 180º t-stat • FWI w/K&N • 1.9:1 rockers • OR pushrods • LS6 valve springs • SLP headers • ZZP fuel rails
KYB GR2 struts • MaxAir shocks • Addco sway bars • UMI bushings • GM STB • Enkei 18" EV5s w/ Dunlop DZ101s • F-body calipers
EBC bluestuff/Hawk HP plus • SS lines • Brembo slotted discs • DHP tuned • Aeroforce • Hidden Hitch

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown

'70 Ninety-Eight Holiday Coupe 455cid • 116k miles
^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/657082/4
Eldo
Expert
Eldo

Name : Mark
Merit : 104

PostSubject: Re: It never ends.. Transmission and TCC Problems   It never ends.. Transmission and TCC Problems - Page 2 EmptyMon Jun 22, 2009 4:13 pm

You'll find many different opinions in this forum regarding tranny coolers. Personally, I'm planning to add one because I live in a hilly area, and the 'best' that a stock cooler can do is keep the tranny down to the coolant temperature. Unfortunately, that means that in slow traffic or climbing hills the transmission is going to be starting at almost 200*, plus the additional heat from it's own operation...

The general consensus on the internet is that you start shortening the life of your fluid and tranny with sustained temps over 175*. I may have a bug in the PCM (bone-stock) but before I went to a 180* thermostat in the engine, I would occasionally feel the tranny go into "hot mode" on cool, non-A/C days - and that's not supposed to happen on a 4T65 until it reaches 266 degrees!

(Hot Mode is when the the PCM turns off all "shift adapts", raises the line pressure, and makes all shifts very firm in order to eliminate slippage and the associated heat.)

I don't know if the '95 is plumbed exactly the same way, but what finally may my mind up was Jason doing the hard preliminary work on his '98 and creating an excellent write-up, with photos, halfway down the page at:
https://rivperformance.editboard.com/series-ii-engine-transmission-f4/write-up-transmission-cooler-t1748.htm?highlight=transmission+fluid

While I couldn't find his Mr. Transmission brand in the States, a lot of research has led me to believe that it is indeed the B&M stacked-plate cooler kit, #70268... Amazon has it with free shipping for less than $50:
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B000CIGE9G/ref=ord_cart_shr?_encoding=UTF8&m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&v=glance

Last edited by Eldo on Mon Jun 22, 2009 10:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Rickw
Guru

Name : Rick
Merit : 119

PostSubject: Re: It never ends.. Transmission and TCC Problems   It never ends.. Transmission and TCC Problems - Page 2 EmptyMon Jun 22, 2009 4:59 pm

Mark,
Let me know what you decide to do and please record all fittings and such needed for install. Also, what about an inline thermostat. Are they available?
Thanks, Rick
Back to top Go down
Eldo
Expert
Eldo

PostSubject: Re: It never ends.. Transmission and TCC Problems   It never ends.. Transmission and TCC Problems - Page 2 EmptyMon Jun 22, 2009 11:36 pm

Rickw wrote:
Mark,
Let me know what you decide to do and please record all fittings and such needed for install. Also, what about an inline thermostat. Are they available?
Thanks, Rick

Unless I'm horribly, horribly wrong, everything will be included in the kit, and per Jason's writeup everything is used except the 2 alternate-size tubing fittings... Hopefully the only thing I'll do differently is paint the brackets before installation wink

I've never heard of an inline thermostat, but this cooler has a viscosity-based bypass built into it so that the fluid doesn't pass thru the plates unless is is warm and thin. Plus, the instructions are written the same way that my 30+ year tranny guy told me to install the one on my Caddy 15 years ago: the fluid still passes thru the stock cooler in the radiator, then goes thru the add-on cooler. That way it gets warmed up adequately even in cold climates. I drove the Eldorado in the middle of winter at Lake Tahoe a couple times and didn't feel anything different. (Those original longitudinal-engine front-drivers are GREAT in the snow, by the way... Our transverse '92 LeSabre was crap. )

BTW, those BCS filters get there yet?
Back to top Go down
Rickw
Guru

PostSubject: Re: It never ends.. Transmission and TCC Problems   It never ends.. Transmission and TCC Problems - Page 2 EmptyTue Jun 23, 2009 6:46 am

Eldo wrote:
BTW, those BCS filters get there yet?

No, Not yet.!!!
Correction: Received in mail today.
Thanks
Back to top Go down
jamie
Fanatic
jamie

PostSubject: Re: It never ends.. Transmission and TCC Problems   It never ends.. Transmission and TCC Problems - Page 2 EmptyWed Jun 24, 2009 9:22 am

Yesterday on the way home from work, the transmission shifted into OD, it ran beautifully... until I came to a stop - then it was back to 3rd.

Going to take it back to the tranny shop tomorrow or friday. Hoping for the best.

I've been driving the car at much lower speeds, hoping this will keep it from getting too hot - I've also been checking the fluid. A couple times I've pulled the stick and the upper part of it was either steaming or smoking, but the fluid was still red, and it was still showing full
Back to top Go down
AA
Administrator
AA

PostSubject: Re: It never ends.. Transmission and TCC Problems   It never ends.. Transmission and TCC Problems - Page 2 EmptyWed Jun 24, 2009 9:32 am

You should be okay for a little while, as long as you don't take a 300 mile trip at 85 mph in 90º heat. Good idea keeping an eye on the fluid!

'05 GTO 6.0L • 6-spd • 95k miles • 0-60: 4.8s • 16.9 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:26

'98 SC Riviera • 281k miles • 298 HP/370 TQ • 0-60: 5.79s • ET: 13.97 @ 99.28 • 4087 lb • 20.1 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:30
3.4" pulley • AL104 plugs • 180º t-stat • FWI w/K&N • 1.9:1 rockers • OR pushrods • LS6 valve springs • SLP headers • ZZP fuel rails
KYB GR2 struts • MaxAir shocks • Addco sway bars • UMI bushings • GM STB • Enkei 18" EV5s w/ Dunlop DZ101s • F-body calipers
EBC bluestuff/Hawk HP plus • SS lines • Brembo slotted discs • DHP tuned • Aeroforce • Hidden Hitch

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown

Last edited by AA on Wed Jun 24, 2009 11:19 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
jamie
Fanatic
jamie

PostSubject: Re: It never ends.. Transmission and TCC Problems   It never ends.. Transmission and TCC Problems - Page 2 EmptyWed Jun 24, 2009 9:47 am

Awesome. The most driving I'll have to do is a couple 100km trips, other than the daily 60km to work, 60 back.

Its been around 20 degrees (68 degrees fahrenheit) the past few days, so I guess I'm not being too mean to 'her.

I hope this car stops acting up. I want to start working on the '81. lol.
Back to top Go down
Eldo
Expert
Eldo

PostSubject: Re: It never ends.. Transmission and TCC Problems   It never ends.. Transmission and TCC Problems - Page 2 EmptyWed Jun 24, 2009 1:32 pm

jamie wrote:
A couple times I've pulled the stick and the upper part of it was either steaming or smoking, but the fluid was still red, and it was still showing full

Wow !
I've never seen tranny fluid steam or smoke before... Maybe you should take it for a good ride before you go back to the tranny shop, and show them that little trick as soon as you get there.
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :
Merit : 180

PostSubject: Re: It never ends.. Transmission and TCC Problems   It never ends.. Transmission and TCC Problems - Page 2 EmptyWed Jun 24, 2009 2:10 pm

any chance your tranny was flooded?

Albertj
Back to top Go down
AA
Administrator
AA

PostSubject: Re: It never ends.. Transmission and TCC Problems   It never ends.. Transmission and TCC Problems - Page 2 EmptyWed Jun 24, 2009 3:22 pm

When the fluid is really starting to cook, you'll smell it. Then it's time to shut her down & cool off.

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown
Back to top Go down
Rickw
Guru

PostSubject: Re: It never ends.. Transmission and TCC Problems   It never ends.. Transmission and TCC Problems - Page 2 EmptyWed Jun 24, 2009 4:28 pm

AA wrote:
When the fluid is really starting to cook, you'll smell it. Then it's time to shut her down & cool off.

By that time it's already starting to do damage to the friction plates amongst other things.
Back to top Go down
jamie
Fanatic
jamie

PostSubject: Re: It never ends.. Transmission and TCC Problems   It never ends.. Transmission and TCC Problems - Page 2 EmptyThu Jun 25, 2009 9:47 am

I got the transmission from a shop in Ontario, I'm not sure of its history, unfortunately.

Today, I noticed one of my vacuum lines were being pulled flat, I applied throttle under the hood, watching how my vac lines reacted. This one is the only one I noticed doing anything sketchy.

It never ends.. Transmission and TCC Problems - Page 2 Vacc

Would that one effect my shifting? It does split off and run down to the transmission...
Back to top Go down
jamie
Fanatic
jamie

PostSubject: Re: It never ends.. Transmission and TCC Problems   It never ends.. Transmission and TCC Problems - Page 2 EmptyThu Jun 25, 2009 1:16 pm

Haha! I think its working properly now ! Excellent smile

- perhaps it coincidentally just worked when i took it to the store... will see after work.
Back to top Go down
jamie
Fanatic
jamie

PostSubject: Re: It never ends.. Transmission and TCC Problems   It never ends.. Transmission and TCC Problems - Page 2 EmptyFri Jun 26, 2009 7:14 am

.... yeah... still acting up. damn.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: It never ends.. Transmission and TCC Problems   It never ends.. Transmission and TCC Problems - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

It never ends.. Transmission and TCC Problems
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2