Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

Do your windshield wipers shimmy when they move?

Go down 
+4
Rickw
Ship
AA
DEMonte1997
8 posters
AuthorMessage
DEMonte1997
Aficionado
DEMonte1997

Name : Rick
Merit : 37

Do your windshield wipers shimmy when they move? Empty
PostSubject: Do your windshield wipers shimmy when they move?   Do your windshield wipers shimmy when they move? EmptyFri Jun 26, 2009 12:58 am

Mine do not make a smooth sweep across the windshield. They move with all that I can describe as a shimmy. What causes this? Too much tension on the windshield or not enough? Or is it just the motor itself. No other car I've been in does this. confused
Back to top Go down
AA
Administrator
AA

Name : Aaron
Merit : 252

PostSubject: Re: Do your windshield wipers shimmy when they move?   Do your windshield wipers shimmy when they move? EmptyFri Jun 26, 2009 1:41 am

What kind of blades are you using, and how old are they? Does the shimmy make noise? Does it happen in the wet or dry?

'05 GTO 6.0L • 6-spd • 95k miles • 0-60: 4.8s • 16.9 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:26

'95 Celica GT 2.2L • 5-spd • 165k miles • 0-60: yes

'98 SC Riviera • 281k miles • 298 HP/370 TQ • 0-60: 5.79s • ET: 13.97 @ 99.28 • 4087 lb • 20.1 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:30
3.4" pulley • AL104 plugs • 180º t-stat • FWI w/K&N • 1.9:1 rockers • OR pushrods • LS6 valve springs • SLP headers • ZZP fuel rails
KYB GR2 struts • MaxAir shocks • Addco sway bars • UMI bushings • GM STB • Enkei 18" EV5s w/ Dunlop DZ101s • F-body calipers
EBC bluestuff/Hawk HP plus • SS lines • Brembo slotted discs • DHP tuned • Aeroforce • Hidden Hitch

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown

'70 Ninety-Eight Holiday Coupe 455cid • 116k miles
^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/657082/4
Ship
Fanatic
Ship

Name : Dave

PostSubject: Re: Do your windshield wipers shimmy when they move?   Do your windshield wipers shimmy when they move? EmptyFri Jun 26, 2009 6:16 am

I've had this happen when hand held spray-type car wax (ex: Turtlewax Ice) gets on the windshield. To get wax off, one solution I've heard & used is to apply a non abrasive household cleanser (Ex: Bonami) to the glass and rinse thoroughly.
Back to top Go down
Rickw
Guru

Merit : 119

PostSubject: Re: Do your windshield wipers shimmy when they move?   Do your windshield wipers shimmy when they move? EmptyFri Jun 26, 2009 7:05 am

I agree with Dave, I've had this happen when the windshield and wipers get dirty with "invisible" dirt, road slime or whatever.
I've used a mild abrasive household cleaner (damp, on a sponge) to clean the glass and replaced the wiper blades at the same time.
Then clean again with a good glass cleaner such as Invisible Glass Cleaner and use newspaper to wipe with. Leaves no streaks.
That has solved my problem with jumping, jerking wiper blades.
Back to top Go down
curious riv
Addict
curious riv

Name : Chris
Merit : 3

PostSubject: Re: Do your windshield wipers shimmy when they move?   Do your windshield wipers shimmy when they move? EmptyFri Jun 26, 2009 10:35 am

1 part tap water and 1 part denatured alcohol is VERY good for a nonabrasive window cleaner.

Mine did that too. I thot it was cuz the way the blade sits in the rest position. I replaced them and problem solved
Back to top Go down
DEMonte1997
Aficionado
DEMonte1997

PostSubject: Re: Do your windshield wipers shimmy when they move?   Do your windshield wipers shimmy when they move? EmptyFri Jun 26, 2009 5:25 pm

Ahhhhh.. So my problem might be that one wiper was replaced and the other one is old? Let me replace the other and clean the windshield to see if this goes away. Thanks for the suggestions.
Back to top Go down
robotennis61
Guru
robotennis61

Name : robotennis
Merit : 143

PostSubject: Re: Do your windshield wipers shimmy when they move?   Do your windshield wipers shimmy when they move? EmptyFri Jun 26, 2009 5:26 pm

i use, 0000steel wool. it works great. spritz on some window cleaner and wipe away years of invisible crap with no scratches. but go light.
Back to top Go down
deekster_caddy
Master

Name : Derek
Merit : 109

PostSubject: Re: Do your windshield wipers shimmy when they move?   Do your windshield wipers shimmy when they move? EmptyFri Jun 26, 2009 8:49 pm

My wipers hop a little bit, I blame the Rain-X I use, but I'll keep using it. The advantages of Rain-X far outweigh the annoyance of 'hopping' wipers.
Back to top Go down
Mr.Riviera
Expert
Mr.Riviera

Name : Matthew
Merit : 101

PostSubject: Re: Do your windshield wipers shimmy when they move?   Do your windshield wipers shimmy when they move? EmptyFri Jun 26, 2009 9:09 pm

agree mine hop some, even with brand new wipers (the new design too). i dont really even need the wipers with all the rain-x i have though. even in the heaviest downpour i can have the wipers on low and see just fine.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Do your windshield wipers shimmy when they move?   Do your windshield wipers shimmy when they move? Empty

Back to top Go down

Do your windshield wipers shimmy when they move?
Page 1 of 1