Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

My Riviera sounds like a frog. It ribbits...

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
GMFreak8
Addict
GMFreak8

Name : Kyle
Merit : 15

My Riviera sounds like a frog. It ribbits... Empty
PostSubject: My Riviera sounds like a frog. It ribbits...   My Riviera sounds like a frog. It ribbits... EmptySun Aug 30, 2009 9:06 pm

OK, I thought I was crazy and was hearing things when I'm driving down the road and it's quiet in the car. That is until someone else was riding with me and she goes "did you run over a frog, I keep hearing one". I look at her and go "so it's not just me then".

Anyway, it sounds like it's coming from the rear of the vehicle somewhere near the back seat or slightly before it. It's like a hiss/ribbit. The best way to describe it is the sound of air brakes combined with a frog ending. Does anyone else have a similar sound coming from the back? Is it the air shocks adjusting themselves while driving, the battery releasing pressure or what? It's nothing major, I'm just curious why my car sounds like a frog on a ventilator.
Back to top Go down
robotennis61
Guru
robotennis61

Name : robotennis
Merit : 143

PostSubject: Re: My Riviera sounds like a frog. It ribbits...   My Riviera sounds like a frog. It ribbits... EmptySun Aug 30, 2009 9:11 pm

MARIJUANA + VEHICLES = HALUCCINATIONS
Back to top Go down
deekster_caddy
Master

Name : Derek
Merit : 109

PostSubject: Re: My Riviera sounds like a frog. It ribbits...   My Riviera sounds like a frog. It ribbits... EmptySun Aug 30, 2009 9:23 pm

It sounds to me like you are hearing the hvac temperature control actuators, except they come from the front. Next time you are hearing it lower or raise the temp a LOT and if that's it it should stop, because the temp actuators aren't actively modulating anymore.

Does it change as the car goes over bumps/dips? It could be strut mounts or something like that making the noises.
Back to top Go down
GMFreak8
Addict
GMFreak8

PostSubject: Re: My Riviera sounds like a frog. It ribbits...   My Riviera sounds like a frog. It ribbits... EmptySun Aug 30, 2009 9:28 pm

deekster_caddy wrote:
It sounds to me like you are hearing the hvac temperature control actuators, except they come from the front. Next time you are hearing it lower or raise the temp a LOT and if that's it it should stop, because the temp actuators aren't actively modulating anymore.

Does it change as the car goes over bumps/dips? It could be strut mounts or something like that making the noises.

It seems to do it all the time. Even when sitting at a light. I'll have to try adjusting the temp to the extreme end of the range and see. If the actuators are moving that much it's amazing they still work...
Back to top Go down
GMFreak8
Addict
GMFreak8

PostSubject: Re: My Riviera sounds like a frog. It ribbits...   My Riviera sounds like a frog. It ribbits... EmptySun Aug 30, 2009 10:41 pm

ok, I just went for a ride and it does seem to be the climate control. Thanks deekster. Is this anything to be concerned about? I don't care about the noise, unless it leads to something else down the road.
Back to top Go down
AA
Administrator
AA

Name : Aaron
Merit : 252

PostSubject: Re: My Riviera sounds like a frog. It ribbits...   My Riviera sounds like a frog. It ribbits... EmptyMon Aug 31, 2009 12:52 am

Our Riv has been "talking" to us for a long time now. My lady thinks it's cute. I'm not too concerned. The HVAC system works very well, and over time it's even quieted down some.

'05 GTO 6.0L • 6-spd • 95k miles • 0-60: 4.8s • 16.9 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:26

'95 Celica GT 2.2L • 5-spd • 165k miles • 0-60: yes

'98 SC Riviera • 281k miles • 298 HP/370 TQ • 0-60: 5.79s • ET: 13.97 @ 99.28 • 4087 lb • 20.1 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:30
3.4" pulley • AL104 plugs • 180º t-stat • FWI w/K&N • 1.9:1 rockers • OR pushrods • LS6 valve springs • SLP headers • ZZP fuel rails
KYB GR2 struts • MaxAir shocks • Addco sway bars • UMI bushings • GM STB • Enkei 18" EV5s w/ Dunlop DZ101s • F-body calipers
EBC bluestuff/Hawk HP plus • SS lines • Brembo slotted discs • DHP tuned • Aeroforce • Hidden Hitch

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown

'70 Ninety-Eight Holiday Coupe 455cid • 116k miles
^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/657082/4
deekster_caddy
Master

Name : Derek
Merit : 109

PostSubject: Re: My Riviera sounds like a frog. It ribbits...   My Riviera sounds like a frog. It ribbits... EmptyMon Aug 31, 2009 6:42 am

No, the actuator noise is pretty normal. I wouldn't worry about it, every Buick newer than '96 with auto climate I've been in does it.
Back to top Go down
Rickw
Guru

Name : Rick
Merit : 119

PostSubject: Re: My Riviera sounds like a frog. It ribbits...   My Riviera sounds like a frog. It ribbits... EmptyMon Aug 31, 2009 6:46 am

I know I have bad hearing.
But I must have a hearing problem at the specific frequency range you all are talking about because I can't here any noise from my HVAC controllers. Thankfully.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: My Riviera sounds like a frog. It ribbits...   My Riviera sounds like a frog. It ribbits... Empty

Back to top Go down

My Riviera sounds like a frog. It ribbits...
Page 1 of 1