Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

Rear Hub assembly

Go down 
+3
AA
Rickw
BackfromtheDead
7 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
BackfromtheDead
Special

Merit : 0

Rear Hub assembly Empty
PostSubject: Rear Hub assembly   Rear Hub assembly EmptyMon Nov 16, 2009 10:30 pm

Hey everyone, I'm in the process of replacing my rear hub assembly.
I've removed all the bolts but the hub will not budge from its fitting.

Are there any tricks or tools needed to pull it out? I've soaked it in PB several times...
Back to top Go down
Rickw
Guru

Name : Rick
Merit : 119

Rear Hub assembly Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rear Hub assembly   Rear Hub assembly EmptyMon Nov 16, 2009 10:36 pm

I would say a hub puller is in order or a BFH, just be careful with the BFH.
Back to top Go down
AA
Administrator
AA

Name : Aaron
Merit : 251

Rear Hub assembly Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rear Hub assembly   Rear Hub assembly EmptyMon Nov 16, 2009 11:06 pm

Big Friggin Hammer.

You can also apply heat with a butane torch to the hub.

'05 GTO 6.0L • 6-spd • 95k miles • 0-60: 4.8s • 16.9 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:26

'95 Celica GT 2.2L • 5-spd • 165k miles • 0-60: yes

'98 SC Riviera • 281k miles • 298 HP/370 TQ • 0-60: 5.79s • ET: 13.97 @ 99.28 • 4087 lb • 20.1 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:30
3.4" pulley • AL104 plugs • 180º t-stat • FWI w/K&N • 1.9:1 rockers • OR pushrods • LS6 valve springs • SLP headers • ZZP fuel rails
KYB GR2 struts • MaxAir shocks • Addco sway bars • UMI bushings • GM STB • Enkei 18" EV5s w/ Dunlop DZ101s • F-body calipers
EBC bluestuff/Hawk HP plus • SS lines • Brembo slotted discs • DHP tuned • Aeroforce • Hidden Hitch

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown

'70 Ninety-Eight Holiday Coupe 455cid • 116k miles
^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/657082/4
Rickw
Guru

Rear Hub assembly Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rear Hub assembly   Rear Hub assembly EmptyMon Nov 16, 2009 11:16 pm

Or MAPP Gas, on a butane head. It produces a hotter flame for stubborn parts.
Back to top Go down
BackfromtheDead
Special

Rear Hub assembly Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rear Hub assembly   Rear Hub assembly EmptyTue Nov 17, 2009 1:29 am

im not sure you can use a puller for the rear since theres no spindle... ill try wailing on it with a hammer tommoroww.
Back to top Go down
Ironclad-454
Enthusiast
Ironclad-454

Name : Nate
Merit : 9

Rear Hub assembly Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rear Hub assembly   Rear Hub assembly EmptyTue Nov 17, 2009 2:37 am

A little heat will go a long way, just be sure to have a fire extinguisher near by just in case.
Back to top Go down
BackfromtheDead
Special

Rear Hub assembly Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rear Hub assembly   Rear Hub assembly EmptyWed Nov 18, 2009 2:27 pm

well i got it off with the big hammer/ crow bar combo...

the hub isnt wobbly at all but when i rotate, it has a slight bit of friction.

is there anywhere i can take it to make sure its bad?

also the sensor wires where sliced clean.

could that be the reason my abs/trac control went out?
Back to top Go down
Rickw
Guru

Rear Hub assembly Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rear Hub assembly   Rear Hub assembly EmptyWed Nov 18, 2009 4:22 pm

BackfromtheDead wrote:
well i got it off with the big hammer/ crow bar combo...

the hub isnt wobbly at all but when i rotate, it has a slight bit of friction.

is there anywhere i can take it to make sure its bad?

also the sensor wires where sliced clean.

could that be the reason my abs/trac control went out?
The only thing you can do if the hub/bearing is off the car is to rotate it and feel for friction.
While it was on the car you could use a dial indicator and measure end play as well as feel the bearing for rotational friction.
The broken wires will give you an ABS/Trac Cont. light.
Be aware after you install a new bearing and hub with ABS sensor the light may or may not go out depending on if there are other broken wires at any other wheel or another bad sensor.
But, you have to start somewhere.
Why would you remove the Hub and Bearing if you didn't intend on putting on a New one.?????
Back to top Go down
BackfromtheDead
Special

Rear Hub assembly Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rear Hub assembly   Rear Hub assembly EmptyWed Nov 18, 2009 7:22 pm

i just want to make sure im replacing the right one. no need to spend $70 to replace a good part.
Back to top Go down
Rickw
Guru

Rear Hub assembly Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rear Hub assembly   Rear Hub assembly EmptyWed Nov 18, 2009 7:30 pm

Then splice the wires and re-install it and se what happens.
It can't hurt...It's only labor. No cost yet.
Back to top Go down
AA
Administrator
AA

Rear Hub assembly Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rear Hub assembly   Rear Hub assembly EmptyWed Nov 18, 2009 10:49 pm

After prying and beating on it with a BFH, I sure wouldn't want to put it back on my car. The old part can be considered a bad hub now, imo.

One way you could've checked the hub was to lift the car and rock the wheel up & down before you took it off. The wheel will usually feel loose if the bearing has gone bad.

'05 GTO 6.0L • 6-spd • 95k miles • 0-60: 4.8s • 16.9 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:26

'98 SC Riviera • 281k miles • 298 HP/370 TQ • 0-60: 5.79s • ET: 13.97 @ 99.28 • 4087 lb • 20.1 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:30
3.4" pulley • AL104 plugs • 180º t-stat • FWI w/K&N • 1.9:1 rockers • OR pushrods • LS6 valve springs • SLP headers • ZZP fuel rails
KYB GR2 struts • MaxAir shocks • Addco sway bars • UMI bushings • GM STB • Enkei 18" EV5s w/ Dunlop DZ101s • F-body calipers
EBC bluestuff/Hawk HP plus • SS lines • Brembo slotted discs • DHP tuned • Aeroforce • Hidden Hitch

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :
Merit : 180

Rear Hub assembly Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rear Hub assembly   Rear Hub assembly EmptyThu Nov 19, 2009 4:46 pm

BackfromtheDead wrote:
i just want to make sure im replacing the right one. no need to spend $70 to replace a good part.

You need the $70 less than you need the hassle - and by doing it yourself you can afford to get Timken or SKF wheel bearing assembly.

Especially after you beat on it with a hammer. I killed an ABS sensor by taking off a brake rotor hat with a 4-lb sledge. The bearings don't like to be whacked.

Albertj
Back to top Go down
nigelf
Enthusiast
nigelf

Name : Nigel
Merit : 20

Rear Hub assembly Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rear Hub assembly   Rear Hub assembly EmptyThu Nov 19, 2009 9:42 pm

I just did both my rear bearings... both were stuchk like welded!!!

the way i got them off was to use a 1/2 inch socket on the bolts...

There are 3 holes in the hub 2 small ones and one larger the socket will pass through that and if you undo the bolt then leave the socket on the bolt remove the extension rotate the hub until one of smaller holes are over the socket. now put the extension through the hole and undo the bolt . it will act as a puller as it will push the back of the socket against the rear of the hub and force it from the mount. Do a little on each bolt until it comes off. It takes a few mins but works a treat.

Nigel
Back to top Go down
Rickw
Guru

Rear Hub assembly Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rear Hub assembly   Rear Hub assembly EmptyThu Nov 19, 2009 10:10 pm

Nigel,
Why did you do both your rear hub/bearings.?
PM or were both bad at the same time.?
What MFG bearing did you use.?

I'm asking all these questions because i think I'm going to do something that goes against the grain of my whole being, that is replace parts without knowing if that will solve my vibration issue.
I'm so frustrated, i think I will just start accumulating parts and start changing one thing at a time until it is solved, up to and including the Steering Rack.
I'd like to find a Non-Magnasteer unit.
Back to top Go down
nigelf
Enthusiast
nigelf

Name : Nigel
Merit : 20

Rear Hub assembly Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rear Hub assembly   Rear Hub assembly EmptyFri Nov 20, 2009 8:20 am

Rick,

Yes i changed both, the rear drivers side ABS was erroring and giving an ABS light.

In my mind anything to do with wheels i do to both sides like brake pads rotors and hubs. It just seems logical if one side is worn the other side cant be much different as they both travel a similar distance.

the bearings i have taken off could still be used as a tester. If you want send your address and i will post one or both to you. Im not sure but will test then later tonight as i dont think any thing is wrong with them .. the bloomin ABS light is still on!!!!

as a pair they came out at 113 dollars from ...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=270399384133&viewitem=&sspagename=ADME%3AB%3AEOIBSA%3AGB%3A1123

very good price and delivered quickly.

if you want any more info please let me know

Regards
Nigel
Back to top Go down
Eldo
Expert
Eldo

Name : Mark
Merit : 104

Rear Hub assembly Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rear Hub assembly   Rear Hub assembly EmptyFri Nov 20, 2009 4:56 pm

nigelf wrote:
...the way i got them off was to use a 1/2 inch socket on the bolts...

There are 3 holes in the hub 2 small ones and one larger the socket will pass through that and if you undo the bolt then leave the socket on the bolt remove the extension rotate the hub until one of smaller holes are over the socket. now put the extension through the hole and undo the bolt . it will act as a puller as it will push the back of the socket against the rear of the hub and force it from the mount. Do a little on each bolt until it comes off. It takes a few mins but works a treat.
Nigel

That is damned clever! smile

Also, considering that a hub is generally a one-time replacement, I'd say that $70 for one with ABS is a good deal, and even cheaper on that eBay link...
Back to top Go down
Rickw
Guru

Rear Hub assembly Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rear Hub assembly   Rear Hub assembly EmptyFri Nov 20, 2009 5:31 pm

It doesn't say, but i would assume at that price the bearings are made in China.
Not the most reliable in my opinion. But if your on a budget and understand that they most likely won't last the same amount of miles that an American made one would then it's OK.
Back to top Go down
AA
Administrator
AA

Rear Hub assembly Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rear Hub assembly   Rear Hub assembly EmptyFri Nov 20, 2009 5:37 pm

Do rear bearings often go bad on our cars? I've got near 195k miles on both rear OEM hubs.

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown
Back to top Go down
Rickw
Guru

Rear Hub assembly Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rear Hub assembly   Rear Hub assembly EmptyFri Nov 20, 2009 5:38 pm

I had an ABS sensor go bad on a rear hub on mine necessitating replacement, but the bearing was still good.
IDK what the average life of a rear bearing is. It seems to be longer than the front for obvious reasons.
Back to top Go down
Eldo
Expert
Eldo

Name : Mark
Merit : 104

Rear Hub assembly Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rear Hub assembly   Rear Hub assembly EmptyFri Nov 20, 2009 5:48 pm

AA wrote:
Do rear bearings often go bad on our cars? I've got near 195k miles on both rear OEM hubs.

My Eldorado used similar hub/bearing combos all the way around, and in 185K miles I only had to replace one of them... I agree that ABS problems probably necessitate more replacements than actual bearing problems.
Back to top Go down
AA
Administrator
AA

Rear Hub assembly Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rear Hub assembly   Rear Hub assembly EmptyFri Nov 20, 2009 6:00 pm

What symptoms are you guys seeing for a sensor failure?

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown
Back to top Go down
Rickw
Guru

Rear Hub assembly Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rear Hub assembly   Rear Hub assembly EmptyFri Nov 20, 2009 7:25 pm

AA wrote:
What symptoms are you guys seeing for a sensor failure?
All I've experienced was a sensor failure without any wiring problems.
Just a bad sensor on the left rear shortly after buying the car. Tripped the ABS/Trac Control light. With a scanner i was able to determine it was left rear and then checked all wiring and connector, which is usually the problem, found no problems with the wiring so changed hub and the light went out.
That was at about 76,000 miles on the ODO.
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :

Rear Hub assembly Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rear Hub assembly   Rear Hub assembly EmptyFri Nov 20, 2009 10:06 pm

Rickw wrote:
It doesn't say, but i would assume at that price the bearings are made in China.
Not the most reliable in my opinion. But if your on a budget and understand that they most likely won't last the same amount of miles that an American made one would then it's OK.

Friendly advice: Rick is right about the hubs. I bought & installed a set recently from Carroll Stream - and apparently toasted them cruising at highway speeds on a trip to Toronto and back. Replaced them with Timkens from Rock Auto and have driven similar (highway) speeds with no issues at all. Carroll Stream is being nice about it - I send hubs back they send me refund. And I bet that their customers who don't do as much highway driving as I do are OK with their hubs. They were just not the quality level that I needed I guess. Or like the guy from Carroll Stream said, sounds like I got a bearing made on a Monday or a Friday.

Albertj

Last edited by albertj on Sat Nov 21, 2009 9:35 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Rickw
Guru

Rear Hub assembly Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rear Hub assembly   Rear Hub assembly EmptyFri Nov 20, 2009 10:17 pm

Albert,
Where did you get your replacement (Timkens) hubs from.?
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :

Rear Hub assembly Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rear Hub assembly   Rear Hub assembly EmptySat Nov 21, 2009 9:50 am

Rickw wrote:
Albert,
Where did you get your replacement (Timkens) hubs from.?

RockAuto.com

A few years ago I thought I learned that the least expensive way to maintain a car right was to buy factory parts as inexpensively as I reasonably could and install them myself - unless factory part has a design flaw that NAPA, say, or CarQuest has engineered out then get those (LIM gasket).

Over pst ~year I tried buying parts from other suppliers that seemed like a "good bet" as they became available, for reasons I'm sure you can guess. But you know what? it usually wasn't worth it.

What I found, I think - if the company actually spends money on R&D and claims it in their financial statements chances are the parts are somewhat better.

So ATM I am thinking that parts for me come from:

gmpartsdirect.com - maybe; their shipping calculation is adverse
monsterpartsonline.com - yes, they source well and ship without nicking you too bad
rockauto.com - yes, you can see what you're getting much of the time and you can see the "economy" and OE parts at the same time and make a decent decision
autohausaz.com - sometimes; they specialize in foreign (European) car parts BUT have many parts for my Riv due to the suppliers such as Ate who are OEMs for Audi *and* GM - so the selection is not vast BUT if it is on the supplier's line card I can get it from autohaus.
local NAPA - if I am time crunched. The counterguy knows I don't want the economy parts.
local CarQuest - some of their parts are surprisingly good; this was *not* the case 5 or 6 years ago
local Advantage Auto - they can get some hi spec parts like Bendix rotors, Walker muffler parts, and sometimes are the best deal. Inconvenient for me here though; I talked to a district manager about finding them real estate in the area (reminds me I need to talk to him there are strip mall spots available ATM)
local AutoZone - oil filters and such
local WalMart - synthetic oil, shop towels, tire valve caps (they have chrome ones that look nice with the OE chrome wheels and aluminum ones for the OE silvers)

Albertj
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Rear Hub assembly Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rear Hub assembly   Rear Hub assembly Empty

Back to top Go down

Rear Hub assembly
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next