Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

Rear Window Adhesive

Go down 
+2
99Rivman
ZEP
6 posters
AuthorMessage
ZEP
Fanatic
ZEP

Name : Zach
Merit : 11

Rear Window Adhesive Empty
PostSubject: Rear Window Adhesive   Rear Window Adhesive EmptyThu Dec 10, 2009 7:47 pm

Hey all. I just recently purchased a 95 Riv, so now I've got a 95 and a 98 (I will put pics of the new one up after it is done getting cleaned). When I purchased the car, I noticed that it had, in the corners and along the driver's-side edge of the window, a large amount of a gooey substance that almost looks like it had seeped out from the weatherstripping around the window. Some pictures illustrating:
Rear Window Adhesive DSC06342

Rear Window Adhesive DSC06341

Rear Window Adhesive DSC06343

The problem is also present on the windshield near the base. The base of the front windshield does not have any weatherstripping along it either, whereas my 98 has some on the base about 10-12 inches long on both sides.

Regardless, I am assuming that this is the weatherstrip adhesive that has seeped out. I am simply wondering if anybody knows if this is a common issue or has experienced the problem themselves. The interesting thing is that my 98 with 139k+ miles on it has zero evidence of this problem. The 95 has 21k miles on it. Perhaps it was an oversight in 95 that was corrected in the subsequent models?
Back to top Go down
99Rivman
Aficionado
99Rivman

Name : Randall
Merit : 90

PostSubject: Re: Rear Window Adhesive   Rear Window Adhesive EmptyThu Dec 10, 2009 8:21 pm

I would bet it was sealant added by the dealership to correct leaking problems that has seeped out over the years, I have seen it on a couple of mine but not to that extreme.
Congratulations on the purchase yay
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/id/99Rivman
54_nailhead
Enthusiast
54_nailhead

Name : Luke
Merit : 3

PostSubject: Re: Rear Window Adhesive   Rear Window Adhesive EmptyFri Dec 11, 2009 3:03 pm

My '96 was doing that also. I just took a razor blade and scraped it all off and it hasn't come back yet.
Back to top Go down
Hometown Hero
Junkie
Hometown Hero

Name : Klix
Merit : 16

PostSubject: Re: Rear Window Adhesive   Rear Window Adhesive EmptyFri Dec 11, 2009 3:21 pm

I would have to say your definately right abotut it being seepage from the WS. The car was likely stored outdoors for most of its former life with its previous owner. A few dayz in the hot California or southern sun will definately pose a few issues when it comes to dark colored rubberized surfaces. is the residue hardened on? Or is it plyable like dried silicone? Either way there is a product available called "Goo Gone" that would probably remove it for you without to much elbow grease thrown into the equation. Good luck and props on the tandem Rivs.
Back to top Go down
AA
Administrator
AA

Name : Aaron
Merit : 252

PostSubject: Re: Rear Window Adhesive   Rear Window Adhesive EmptyFri Dec 11, 2009 3:26 pm

My '98 has never been stored inside, and hasn't shown any signs of seepage, or leakage yet. Winters usually go into the low teens, sometimes below zero Fº. Summers get into 90ºs, occasionally 100º+.

I agree with Albertj, it was probably a product added by dealer or a 3rd party.

'05 GTO 6.0L • 6-spd • 95k miles • 0-60: 4.8s • 16.9 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:26

'95 Celica GT 2.2L • 5-spd • 165k miles • 0-60: yes

'98 SC Riviera • 281k miles • 298 HP/370 TQ • 0-60: 5.79s • ET: 13.97 @ 99.28 • 4087 lb • 20.1 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:30
3.4" pulley • AL104 plugs • 180º t-stat • FWI w/K&N • 1.9:1 rockers • OR pushrods • LS6 valve springs • SLP headers • ZZP fuel rails
KYB GR2 struts • MaxAir shocks • Addco sway bars • UMI bushings • GM STB • Enkei 18" EV5s w/ Dunlop DZ101s • F-body calipers
EBC bluestuff/Hawk HP plus • SS lines • Brembo slotted discs • DHP tuned • Aeroforce • Hidden Hitch

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown

'70 Ninety-Eight Holiday Coupe 455cid • 116k miles
^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/657082/4
Hometown Hero
Junkie
Hometown Hero

Name : Klix
Merit : 16

PostSubject: Re: Rear Window Adhesive   Rear Window Adhesive EmptyFri Dec 11, 2009 3:39 pm

Not disagreeing with you persay, but u do park in the shade dont you AA? I have seen this on other vehicles before. My farm is essentially a graveyard of old vehicles and let me tell you sun does do stuff like this. Over exposure to hot sun, plain and simple. On a hot day go out and give your trim a rub and see how hot it is. I don't doubt that the adhesive was added by a third party because of the large amount of it. But never the less I am sure it was applied beneath the WS and seaped out due to heat. I can't see any1 doing such a poor job @ "re-doing" their WS is all.

Then again stranger things have happened eh. canada
Back to top Go down
Rickw
Guru

Name : Rick
Merit : 119

PostSubject: Re: Rear Window Adhesive   Rear Window Adhesive EmptyFri Dec 11, 2009 4:21 pm

Hometown Hero wrote:
Or is it pliable like dried silicone? Either way there is a product available called "Goo Gone" that would probably remove it for you without to much elbow grease thrown into the equation. Good luck and props on the tandem Rivs.
If it's pliable you can always try to get it off with a sharp razor and be careful to not scratch the window.
Goo-Gone can help if you are dealing with something that is not so pliable or my choice is 3M General Purpose Adhesive Remover. Just have to soak a rag with it and then apply that rag to the hardened glue and it will soften it up to be scraped off. I prefer a plastic scraper at this point so as not to scratch the glass.
The 3M product comes in pint cans and is available at most Auto parts stores. I use it for a multitude of things.
Back to top Go down
ZEP
Fanatic
ZEP

Name : Zach
Merit : 11

PostSubject: Re: Rear Window Adhesive   Rear Window Adhesive EmptyFri Dec 11, 2009 5:06 pm

Thanks for the comments guys. When I was looking the car over, I was able to get a considerable amount off with just my fingernail so it isn't a big issue. Goo Gone has been a blessing with a bunch of different things and I bet it'll work here too.

The thing is, the car itself doesn't look too beaten up by the sun. It was owned by an older woman and she never took it out in the rain. It has zero rain/water spot accumulation anywhere. That doesn't mean that she didn't leave it out in the sun, but I doubt she would have (for instance) taken the trouble to move it into a garage if she knew rain was coming. Maybe she would have, I don't know.

Before I purchased my 98, the previous owner had left it outside all of the time but it didn't have the problem my 95 does. Maybe it was just a low-quality sealant and I'd agree with 99Rivman. Regardless, I just wanted to see everybody's opinion.

Now, I've gotta go install these sequential turn signals on the 98. I'm hoping it won't be too aggravating...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Rear Window Adhesive   Rear Window Adhesive Empty

Back to top Go down

Rear Window Adhesive
Page 1 of 1