Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

Removing Dash Kit

Go down 
+3
99Rivman
SilverArrow102
urbsnspices
7 posters
AuthorMessage
urbsnspices
Fanatic
urbsnspices

Merit : 4

Removing Dash Kit Empty
PostSubject: Removing Dash Kit   Removing Dash Kit EmptyWed Apr 11, 2007 4:50 pm

My dash kit was installed by the previous owner. It was awsome, but in the last two years it has started to bubble. The clear coating is pretty thick on these things and it is starting to separate from the wood. Basically it is starting to look like crap. sick

I could try to repair it, but the only real way would be to take it off the car. Anyone ever pull one of these off? In the end I dont care if I damage it, but I dont want to damage the dash underneath.

I already have a ~10pc carbon fiber one I could put in its place. But I cam kinda attached to the wood. I feel like Im driving a boat grimace. Any advice is welcome.
Back to top Go down
SilverArrow102
SilverArrow102

Name : John
Merit : 1

Removing Dash Kit Empty
PostSubject: Re: Removing Dash Kit   Removing Dash Kit EmptyWed Apr 11, 2007 5:39 pm

I don't see how you're going to salvage the dash under the kit. The double backed adhesive used on the kit is some MEAN stuff! I think it'll even stick to water!

You might try using WD-40 under an edge and slowly work it off by constantly spraying it to get it to release. The downside to that is your dash will be covered in oily residue that has to be completely removed with solvents if you have want any hope of a new dash kit to adhere.
Back to top Go down
http://home.kc.rr.com/mirage/
99Rivman
Aficionado
99Rivman

Name : Randall
Merit : 89

Removing Dash Kit Empty
PostSubject: Re: Removing Dash Kit   Removing Dash Kit EmptyWed Apr 11, 2007 5:43 pm

If the one you have is anything like mine you will never get it off without some damage. no The kit I got included a 3M solution called Adhesion Promoter, and it seemed to work really well! It is the Burlewood with a 3M backing on it and what looks like a thick polyurethane finish. I know the instructions were very clear that you wanted to have it where you wanted it when you put it in place because it wouldn't move again, and it hasn't in the 7-8 years I've had it on. thumbsup
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/id/99Rivman
SilverArrow102
SilverArrow102

Name : John
Merit : 1

Removing Dash Kit Empty
PostSubject: Re: Removing Dash Kit   Removing Dash Kit EmptyWed Apr 11, 2007 8:42 pm

In other words, you'd be well advised to have a spare dash and a 12pk of your favorite beer on hand to make the changeover cheers .
Back to top Go down
http://home.kc.rr.com/mirage/
SoCal Riv
Enthusiast
SoCal Riv

Merit : 0

Removing Dash Kit Empty
PostSubject: Re: Removing Dash Kit   Removing Dash Kit EmptyThu Apr 12, 2007 3:47 am

Quote :
I already have wood grain installed in my car. It's all two-tone and chipping. It's all going to have to be removed, cleaned, and primered. What's the best way to get the old off easily? Should I have it done professionally since it will be so much work?

Thanks for your question. You're right to expect that this will be quite a bit of work, but it's something you can definitely do at home if you have a little time and patience. Just be sure to pick a day when you have a good block of time open, as this is not something you can rush. Also, be prepared to (more than likely) have to reinstall a replacement dash kit to cover up any markings left by the old kit that you are removing. To begin, you'll want to use a hair dryer and try to heat up the dash kit as much as possible. That will soften the glue to some extent, and you can try to start pulling up a corner of the dash piece slowly and lifting it off. It is important that you really warm it up good or it will be very hard and brittle, making it tougher and more time consuming to remove. Take your time. Once you get a piece off you will more than likely be left with some glue or adhesive. Warm that up again and try to remove that best as you can without any solvents (just the first step). Then, when you do need some solvent, try a glue remover like goof-off (available at home improvement stores such as Home Depot) but be very careful where you wipe it. If you get that on any of your new surfaces you may get some discoloration. Just be careful and use it sparingly. A damp rag is much better in this case than a dripping wet one. If you need to use a squeegee to agitate the adhesive with the solvent, that is okay - but steer clear of razors or metal objects. You will damage your interior with those.

Regards,

Your Tech Team at AUTOMEGA®

Custom Auto Trim and Graphics, Inc.
http://www.CustomAutoTrim.com

Article referenced: http://www.customautotrim.com/newsletter/issue24.html

The dash on the '98 Riviera is coated with colorized rubbery layer that when damaged will show its thickness, and the substrate of the dash itself. You can literally peel away at the dash—not a good thing.
Back to top Go down
urbsnspices
Fanatic
urbsnspices

Removing Dash Kit Empty
PostSubject: Re: Removing Dash Kit   Removing Dash Kit EmptyThu Apr 12, 2007 7:55 am

Thanks for the input guys. This is something that I prolly wont be dealing with until the car is running again.

Now I am worried that my CF kit doesnt include all the pcs that the installed kit has.
Back to top Go down
T Riley
Guru
T Riley

Name : Travis
Merit : 10

Removing Dash Kit Empty
PostSubject: Re: Removing Dash Kit   Removing Dash Kit EmptyThu Apr 12, 2007 3:51 pm

urbsnspices wrote:
Thanks for the input guys. This is something that I prolly wont be dealing with until the car is running again.

Now I am worried that my CF kit doesnt include all the pcs that the installed kit has.

CHECK UR INBOX shocked
Back to top Go down
http://www.rivperformance.com
jax95riv
Aficionado
jax95riv

Name : Jack
Merit : 6

Removing Dash Kit Empty
PostSubject: Re: Removing Dash Kit   Removing Dash Kit EmptyThu Apr 12, 2007 4:00 pm

Another option if the dash is scared up is to paint it. classicradiorepair (Nick) painted his and it looks damn good. Get with him for some pics.

You'll be hard pressed to find another dash. Every once in a while on ebay, but not very often.
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/468780
urbsnspices
Fanatic
urbsnspices

Removing Dash Kit Empty
PostSubject: Re: Removing Dash Kit   Removing Dash Kit EmptyThu Apr 12, 2007 4:20 pm

jax95riv wrote:
Another option if the dash is scared up is to paint it. classicradiorepair (Nick) painted his and it looks damn good. Get with him for some pics.

You'll be hard pressed to find another dash. Every once in a while on ebay, but not very often.

I am pretty good at refinishing wood items, but I cant see being able to do it unless I can get it off the car. I would like to see what he was able to do.

Yeah, I picked up my spare one on ebay a few years back. Got a good deal because of a minor blemish.
Back to top Go down
SoCal Riv
Enthusiast
SoCal Riv

Merit : 0

Removing Dash Kit Empty
PostSubject: Re: Removing Dash Kit   Removing Dash Kit EmptyThu Apr 12, 2007 8:03 pm

When the dealer replaced the headlight switch, because the knob came off, they accidentally nicked the area around the switch. They offered to replace the entire dash, but they were honest with me, and I asked them what they can do as it was very small. They used a product called Vynicolor Automotive Vinyl Color Spray made by U.S. Body Products. They gave me a can as I got to know them over time, but I have looked for the product and cannot find it on the net. The spray matched the dash perfectly.
Back to top Go down
Jack the R
Master
Jack the R

Merit : 105

Removing Dash Kit Empty
PostSubject: Re: Removing Dash Kit   Removing Dash Kit EmptyMon Jul 16, 2007 1:14 am

I would have to say this thread has convinced me not to get a dash kit.

urbsnspices, instead of a wimpy hair dryer you could try a heat gun. This is a R/C airplane tool used to shrink plastic film onto the wings. Much hotter than a hair dryer! A heat iron (also used for applying plastic film on model airplanes) might also help, but I think the gun would be the thing.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Removing Dash Kit Empty
PostSubject: Re: Removing Dash Kit   Removing Dash Kit Empty

Back to top Go down

Removing Dash Kit
Page 1 of 1