Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

steering wheel controls on aftermarket deck

Go down 
+3
TType_Riviera
sburch23
turtleman
7 posters
AuthorMessage
turtleman
Expert
turtleman

Name : Codith
Merit : 140

steering wheel controls on aftermarket deck Empty
PostSubject: steering wheel controls on aftermarket deck   steering wheel controls on aftermarket deck EmptyThu Apr 12, 2007 1:17 am

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-t8N6ybttAaC/cgi-bin/prodgroup.asp?c=11&g=118900&I=&o=p&avf=N
Crutchfield.com has a product available to utilize you factory steering wheel buttons on an aftermarket head unit. Availability isn't great yet but it's there. I'm gonna find out if it work on ours. It should. When the Pioneer one comes out, I may get it
Back to top Go down
sburch23
Addict
sburch23

Name : Scott
Merit : 14

PostSubject: Re: steering wheel controls on aftermarket deck   steering wheel controls on aftermarket deck EmptyFri Apr 13, 2007 4:13 pm

I know that they are available since I got one when my Alpine head unit was installed. It takes some doing to get the programming right.
Back to top Go down
TType_Riviera
Fanatic
TType_Riviera

Name : Rob
Merit : 0

PostSubject: Re: steering wheel controls on aftermarket deck   steering wheel controls on aftermarket deck EmptySun Oct 28, 2007 10:53 pm

http://www.peripheralelectronics.com/prodGrid.asp?category=Steering%20Wheel%20Control%20Interfaces
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2131502/1
RivieraRyan
Enthusiast

Merit : 7

PostSubject: How do I keep my steering wheel controls?   steering wheel controls on aftermarket deck EmptyWed Sep 17, 2008 1:26 am

I want to put in a new cd player n speakers like a pioneer or something of that nature. However, ive beeen told by several people theres absolutely no way i can keep the steering wheel controls connected so that rthey will work w/ it. Is there any kind of adapter pices i could buy or anything?
Back to top Go down
deekster_caddy
Master

Name : Derek
Merit : 109

PostSubject: Re: steering wheel controls on aftermarket deck   steering wheel controls on aftermarket deck EmptyWed Sep 17, 2008 9:03 am

Look up Pacific Audio, what you need is a "PAC SWI" (Steering Wheel Interface). They make a universal model that uses IR, and a model specifically for wired remote input to some stereos. It will also allow you to keep your heater controls. I just installed one, it's a piece of cake if you are already replacing the radio.

http://www.amazon.com/PAC-SWI-PS-Pioneer-Steering-Interface/dp/B000AXW7SA/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=automotive&qid=1221656634&sr=8-1
Back to top Go down
dreww
Junkie
dreww

Merit : 9

PostSubject: Re: steering wheel controls on aftermarket deck   steering wheel controls on aftermarket deck EmptyWed Sep 17, 2008 11:57 pm

interesting, might need to look into this if/when my headunit goes. too bad I got a JVC
Back to top Go down
deekster_caddy
Master

PostSubject: Re: steering wheel controls on aftermarket deck   steering wheel controls on aftermarket deck EmptyThu Sep 18, 2008 5:49 am

Pac Audio makes a bunch of different interface modules. As long as the unit has some kind of IR remote the "-X" universal SWI will work. Look at their products page, scroll down to SWI-JACK. It's made for Alpine, Kenwood, JVC and Clarion's wired remote input. The SWI-PS that I used is made for Pioneer, Sony, Jensen, Advent and some other wired remote inputs.

http://www.pac-audio.com/products/productsCatagory.asp?mmSearch=Steering%20Wheel%20Interface
Back to top Go down
riviera2454
Enthusiast
riviera2454

Merit : 0

PostSubject: Re: steering wheel controls on aftermarket deck   steering wheel controls on aftermarket deck EmptySat Sep 20, 2008 1:22 pm

I was talking to a guy yesterday that is going to install my stereo for me. He says sometimes you cannot program all of the buttons on the wheel and might have to program the temp for something else to control something on the radio? Did you have this problem when you installed yours. I am getting a Pioneer AVH-P4000DVD. Anyone know if the inline remote adapter that PAC makes will work or do I need the infared one. I have heard the inline works better.
Back to top Go down
deekster_caddy
Master

PostSubject: Re: steering wheel controls on aftermarket deck   steering wheel controls on aftermarket deck EmptySat Sep 20, 2008 2:30 pm

I had NO PROBLEMS and have full functionality of all my strg wheel buttons. I even changed my seek up/down buttons into fan up down buttons. It's all in the instructions, just go to their website and read them.
Back to top Go down
sburch23
Addict
sburch23

Name : Scott
Merit : 14

PostSubject: Re: steering wheel controls on aftermarket deck   steering wheel controls on aftermarket deck EmptySat Sep 20, 2008 7:55 pm

The reason the installers have problems with it is that it is tedious to set it up right. They just want to get it close enough. I went through this with an installer, It was my second trip back and I was pissed about that as well as some other things. Told them to call me when it was perfect.

I now have full functionality of all my steering wheel buttons with an Alpine head unit.
Back to top Go down
dreww
Junkie
dreww

Merit : 9

PostSubject: Re: steering wheel controls on aftermarket deck   steering wheel controls on aftermarket deck EmptyTue Sep 23, 2008 6:33 pm

deekster_caddy wrote:
Pac Audio makes a bunch of different interface modules. As long as the unit has some kind of IR remote the "-X" universal SWI will work. Look at their products page, scroll down to SWI-JACK. It's made for Alpine, Kenwood, JVC and Clarion's wired remote input. The SWI-PS that I used is made for Pioneer, Sony, Jensen, Advent and some other wired remote inputs.

http://www.pac-audio.com/products/productsCatagory.asp?mmSearch=Steering%20Wheel%20Interface

It appears the JVC compatible one wont work with my head unit model.
Ill have to get the univsersal one.

also, I was looking at the installation instructions: First, what color wire was everyones "steering wheel and audio control wire"? Green, yellow, orange, or white? Guess it may not matter cause I got a 96 and ya'll all got 97+

Second:
Step 4
If necessary, perform the following operations as indicated by the notes in ID and connection charts.
Step 4a.
Connect the BLUE serial data wire.
Connect this wire ONLY on GM passenger vehicles (no trucks or SUVs) with
airbags AND steering wheel heater controls.
For all other vehicles, cut and insulate the BLUE wire.
Would this wire be used on our rivs? Im assuming so.

And did you have the cut the brown and violet "loop" wires?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: steering wheel controls on aftermarket deck   steering wheel controls on aftermarket deck Empty

Back to top Go down

steering wheel controls on aftermarket deck
Page 1 of 1