Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

Write-Up: Brake Master Cylinder - Install & Bench Bleed

Go down 
+20
al_roethlisberger
LARRY70GS
bmcd9179
98riv
werdstrave
robotennis61
Eldo
98inSFl
95ParkAveUltra
Rickw
Mr.Riviera
BrianEsser
deekster_caddy
albertj
Rivlady
oldsman105
TType_Riviera
AA
99Rivman
urbsnspices
24 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
AuthorMessage
LARRY70GS
Aficionado
LARRY70GS

Name : Larry
Merit : 150

Write-Up: Brake Master Cylinder - Install & Bench Bleed - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Brake Master Cylinder - Install & Bench Bleed   Write-Up: Brake Master Cylinder - Install & Bench Bleed - Page 4 EmptyTue Dec 09, 2014 7:22 pm

nvsteve wrote:
I just replaced MC.  I didn't see how I could bench bleed it since fluid just runs out the tube in the reservoir that connects to the rubber hose (I guess that's for the ABS?).  So I bolted the MC in place, then used the bench bleed kit as described using the brake pedal to actuate the cylinder.  Worked out ok.  I guess if you could plug the bottom of that reservoir tube you could bench bleed the MC but seems easier to do it after bolted on to the car.

Next is replace warped front rotors.  Pads are still good,  can I use them after rotors are replaced?

To bench bleed any master cylinder, you hook up both lines and feed them back into the reservoir. Then actuate the master cylinder several times either in a vice or on the car with the brake pedal. Some MC come with plastic lines and fittings for that purpose.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UHCda-t_Jls
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sfT2tEO4XcU
Back to top Go down
nvsteve
nvsteve

Name : Steve
Merit : 3

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Brake Master Cylinder - Install & Bench Bleed   Write-Up: Brake Master Cylinder - Install & Bench Bleed - Page 4 EmptyTue Dec 09, 2014 9:31 pm

Larry,

If you look at the master cylinder you'll see the reservoir has a tube at the bottom that connects to a rubber hose. If you put fluid in the resrvoir with the hose disconnected, fluid runs out of the tube so you can't bench bleed it unless you plug the tube somehow. So I used the bench bleeder kit with the plastic lines and fittings, but I just did it with the brake pedal after installing the MC and connecting the hose to the reservoir.
Back to top Go down
LARRY70GS
Aficionado
LARRY70GS

Name : Larry
Merit : 150

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Brake Master Cylinder - Install & Bench Bleed   Write-Up: Brake Master Cylinder - Install & Bench Bleed - Page 4 EmptyWed Dec 10, 2014 8:01 pm

Still on my original master cylinder at 157,000. I'll have to take a look. Whatever you did must have worked if your brakes work.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UHCda-t_Jls
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sfT2tEO4XcU
Back to top Go down
matt270avian
Expert
matt270avian

Name : Matt
Merit : 54

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Brake Master Cylinder - Install & Bench Bleed   Write-Up: Brake Master Cylinder - Install & Bench Bleed - Page 4 EmptyMon Mar 09, 2015 1:17 pm

Has anyone tried upgrading to the 06+ Impala (Police Package) master cylinder/brake pedal?

Apparently the Impala MC has a larger bore to move more fluid, and the brake pedal assembly is shorter. Might be something to consider for the people who upgraded to f-bodies.
Back to top Go down
BatMobile
Amateur
BatMobile

Name : Susan
Merit : 2

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Brake Master Cylinder - Install & Bench Bleed   Write-Up: Brake Master Cylinder - Install & Bench Bleed - Page 4 EmptySat Aug 05, 2017 3:56 pm

1996 Riv has brake pedal that when pressed it very slowly goes downward and I have to keep my distance from car in front when at a stop.  If I take my foot off and put it back down again it is better.  Seems no vacuum leak and wondering what else could be causing this problem. Can't figure out how to start this in a new post, but hopefully someone will see it and reply. Thanks for any help you can offer! smile
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :
Merit : 181

PostSubject: Master Cylinder   Write-Up: Brake Master Cylinder - Install & Bench Bleed - Page 4 EmptySun Aug 06, 2017 6:28 pm

BatMobile wrote:
1996 Riv has brake pedal that when pressed it very slowly goes downward and I have to keep my distance from car in front when at a stop.  If I take my foot off and put it back down again it is better.  Seems no vacuum leak and wondering what else could be causing this problem. Can't figure out how to start this in a new post, but hopefully someone will see it and reply.  Thanks for any help you can offer! smile

Could be caused by a worn master cylinder. Not that much $$ for the part but some $$$ labor to replace because you have to bleed it before installing it. A remanufactured one is OK and in some ways preferable.

Moderator: can you move this to an appropriate brake thread?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Brake Master Cylinder - Install & Bench Bleed   Write-Up: Brake Master Cylinder - Install & Bench Bleed - Page 4 Empty

Back to top Go down

Write-Up: Brake Master Cylinder - Install & Bench Bleed
Page 4 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4