Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

Trunk Leaks

Go down 
+24
BMD
Rivlanta
flyineagle96
robotennis61
black shadow
brmcm15
Snowdog
playa
LARRY70GS
98inSFl
Rickw
moldymac
Eldo
Jack the R
ibmoses
1998 Riv
AA
albertj
jonly
steel2040
99Rivman
Rivgirl06
28 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
Eldo
Expert
Eldo

Name : Mark
Merit : 104

Trunk Leaks - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Trunk Leaks   Trunk Leaks - Page 2 EmptyThu Feb 25, 2010 2:19 am

Isn't there any clue in the carpeting as to where the water can be coming from, or at least where it can't be?

I had one leak in the crease where the top of the rear quarter panel meets the sail panel. You can look in there by pulling the black plastic 'shaft' at either side of the top trunk-gutter off of its respective stud, and then peeling the rest of the strip out of the seam.
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :
Merit : 181

PostSubject: Re: Trunk Leaks   Trunk Leaks - Page 2 EmptyThu Feb 25, 2010 2:22 am

1998 Riv wrote:
Rickw wrote:
Well, considering he had a trunk full of water, what do you make of that.?

I'd think it's most likely the weatherstripping, with that volume of water. However, there could be multiple sources, so I mentioned the seams issue. I initially assumed my weatherstripping was the problem, but there never was any moisture present anywhere near it.

There might not be any moisture near the weatherstrip. Water would run over the top and onto inside of the trunk lid.

Another way to find weatherstrip leak is to put talcum powder (unscented foot powder *DO NOT USE THE CORNSTARCH BASED FOOTPOWDER JUST THE TALC KIND-be sure to read label*) on the weatherstrip (kind of liberally) and close the trunk lid. THen go for a spin. OPen the trunk lid carefully and slow - you'll see powder blown well away from the areas that will leak while driving at some speed in the rain.

Albertj
Back to top Go down
1998 Riv
Expert
1998 Riv

Name : Dave
Merit : 44

PostSubject: Re: Trunk Leaks   Trunk Leaks - Page 2 EmptyThu Feb 25, 2010 2:32 am

I have water on the underside of those seams, and on the topside at the seams. And on top of the carpet directly under the seams. Nowhere else is there water. I'm quite certain I'd find some signs of water on or near the weatherstrip material if that were the source. At any rate, I'll find out this summer when I first address the seams. They are not in good shape either, the material is quite deteriorated.
Back to top Go down
Rickw
Guru

Name : Rick
Merit : 119

PostSubject: Re: Trunk Leaks   Trunk Leaks - Page 2 EmptyThu Feb 25, 2010 2:32 am

I knew I should have deferred this problem to Albert, as i know you have dealt with issue successfully and somewhat painfully in the past.
As you have said there are many sources for leaks in these trunks and it takes some diligence in finding the correct reason for the leak and the proper repair.
Back to top Go down
98inSFl
Enthusiast
98inSFl

Name : Ed
Merit : 14

PostSubject: Re: Trunk Leaks   Trunk Leaks - Page 2 EmptyThu Feb 25, 2010 2:33 am

The problem is not going to be a complex nor wind related, this is happening when parked.

I was not kidding when I suggested someone get the flashlight and hose.
Back to top Go down
1998 Riv
Expert
1998 Riv

PostSubject: Re: Trunk Leaks   Trunk Leaks - Page 2 EmptyThu Feb 25, 2010 2:34 am

I've also at times experienced my leaks only when parked outside in rain.
Back to top Go down
Rickw
Guru

PostSubject: Re: Trunk Leaks   Trunk Leaks - Page 2 EmptyThu Feb 25, 2010 2:34 am

1998 Riv wrote:
I have water on the underside of those seams, and on the topside at the seams. And on top of the carpet directly under the seams. Nowhere else is there water. I'm quite certain I'd find some signs of water on or near the weatherstrip material if that were the source. At any rate, I'll find out this summer when I first address the seams. They are not in good shape either, the material is quite deteriorated.
Dave, are you talking about the metal seams where the factory seals them with some kind of goop or sealer.?
Those area's would tend to leak statically, i would think as well. Meaning while the car sat unused.
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :
Merit : 181

PostSubject: Re: Trunk Leaks   Trunk Leaks - Page 2 EmptyThu Feb 25, 2010 3:30 am

1998 Riv wrote:

Actually, the 'talc' spproach is an inexpensive and effective way to confirm water (well, air) passing the weatherstrip. Another way to run the test is to put the talc on then use a wetdry vac in 'blower' mode to blow air at the weatherstrip and over the leading edge ot trunk lid towards the trailing edge.

If the Riv trunk hingers were regular hinges this probably would not happen. But they are not. They are multilink hinges set up so the trunk lid opens wide without needing large arms that invade the trunk space. Clever - but they do kind of have this leading edge problem that only shows up dynamically. Lid's pretty heavy, so when it's closed there is not really a leak. Until you move and in a heavy rain you get water in the trunk. Rear window is curved at the bottom edge, the water can pool at the middle of that curve and pour over the weatherstrip into the trunk if the lid is loose and there is enough rain. And enough is not *that* much considering the water runs up the windshield, over the roof and down the window.

Sometimes on the Rivs the leading edge of the trunk lid is misaligned enough that, with the lid closed, you can lift the leading edge (the edge just under the rear window) of the lid with your fingers. You'd never guess. If you can lift it enough to let that dollarbill out especially at the middle of the rear window, you have probably found the problem.

I am not saying you have this problem 98inSFI... just listing it as something to check that was an actual problem I had, that othewise leaves no trace.. except the puddle in the tire well. So if you have not actually check it, next time you're out and you have a couple minutes have a look.

Albertj
Back to top Go down
moldymac
Fanatic

Name : David
Merit : 19

PostSubject: Re: Trunk Leaks   Trunk Leaks - Page 2 EmptyThu Feb 25, 2010 9:51 am

I am relatively sure its not the trunk lid seal, after a rainy drive into work today I looked in the trunk and the inside of the lid and the inside weather stripping were dry. I did have water coming in again. It looks like its running down the inside of these supports:
Trunk Leaks - Page 2 Well
Both sides are wet there, and you can see a little water running away from the seam at the bottom of the wheel well there. I am guessing its coming in somewhere where the quarter panels meet (where that sort of gully is by the C pillar), but not sure. Going to have to get locked in my trunk to see.
When the carper was in there, it was wet on the left and right sides between the well and the quarter panel walls, no where else.
Back to top Go down
1998 Riv
Expert
1998 Riv

PostSubject: Re: Trunk Leaks   Trunk Leaks - Page 2 EmptyThu Feb 25, 2010 1:19 pm

Last year I also found that the top side of my right rear wheel well had COMPLETELY rusted thru! You could see plenty of light coming in to the trunk. And water was also getting in of course. The rust out was maybe an inch or 2 wide, and several inches long. ONLY the right side, the left wheel well looks perfect still. I had a body shop patch it nicely, for $200, a steal in my book. They spent much more time on it than they estimated. Others have commented on having the same issue in only that wheel well. Worth taking a look, just pull back the carpeting or look up above the tire.
Back to top Go down
LARRY70GS
Aficionado
LARRY70GS

Name : Larry
Merit : 149

PostSubject: Re: Trunk Leaks   Trunk Leaks - Page 2 EmptyThu Feb 25, 2010 1:55 pm

I'll tell you where my trunk was leaking. If you open the trunk and look at the sides where the gas supports mount, there is a seam that leaks. All I did was reseal it with some silicone and that stopped the leak. Just spray some water there and see if that is your leak by feeling with your hand.
Back to top Go down
playa
Fanatic
playa

Merit : 11

PostSubject: Re: Trunk Leaks   Trunk Leaks - Page 2 EmptyThu Feb 25, 2010 2:07 pm

I have 3 leak points and only one would cause that much water to get through (cause it did). The rear window seal gets very brittle over time and I would wager that's your problem too. I had an off site window company show up, he blew some foam around the seal and from the inside used an aircan (removed the sail panel). Needless to say the window foam stuff he applied blew everywhere and I had a sizable leak. He resealed it (without removing the glass) and $100 + a lifetime warranty later, the leak was gone. My hinge areas leak a little but I just plop a towel down and change it out after a few rain storms.
Back to top Go down
1998 Riv
Expert
1998 Riv

PostSubject: Re: Trunk Leaks   Trunk Leaks - Page 2 EmptyThu Feb 25, 2010 6:13 pm

LARRY70GS wrote:
I'll tell you where my trunk was leaking. If you open the trunk and look at the sides where the gas supports mount, there is a seam that leaks. All I did was reseal it with some silicone and that stopped the leak. Just spray some water there and see if that is your leak by feeling with your hand.

Exactly what I'm expecting to find.
Back to top Go down
Eldo
Expert
Eldo

Merit : 104

PostSubject: Re: Trunk Leaks   Trunk Leaks - Page 2 EmptyThu Feb 25, 2010 8:32 pm

moldymac wrote:
I am guessing its coming in somewhere where the quarter panels meet (where that sort of gully is by the C pillar), but not sure. Going to have to get locked in my trunk to see. When the carper was in there, it was wet on the left and right sides between the well and the quarter panel walls, no where else.

Wow, opposite sides at the same time... helluva coincidence. I guess it could be the hinge-area or the C-pillar joint. You did see my post about pulling out the black plastic filler to check that joint, right?
Back to top Go down
moldymac
Fanatic

PostSubject: Re: Trunk Leaks   Trunk Leaks - Page 2 EmptyFri Feb 26, 2010 12:35 am

LARRY70GS wrote:

I'll have to give that a shot.

Eldo wrote:
moldymac wrote:
I am guessing its coming in somewhere where the quarter panels meet (where that sort of gully is by the C pillar), but not sure. Going to have to get locked in my trunk to see. When the carper was in there, it was wet on the left and right sides between the well and the quarter panel walls, no where else.

Wow, opposite sides at the same time... helluva coincidence. I guess it could be the hinge-area or the C-pillar joint. You did see my post about pulling out the black plastic filler to check that joint, right?

I saw it, I am going to check that once it stops raining here. M riv doesn't get garaged, so I have to wait it out now.
Back to top Go down
Rickw
Guru

PostSubject: Re: Trunk Leaks   Trunk Leaks - Page 2 EmptyFri Feb 26, 2010 12:39 am

It's been raining Cat's and Dog's here for a couple of days.
It started as about 3-4" snow here and thankfully has changed to rain, cause it hasn't stopped and we've had at least 5" of rain.
If it were snow it would be 5+ ft of snow in the past 3 days.
Back to top Go down
moldymac
Fanatic

PostSubject: Re: Trunk Leaks   Trunk Leaks - Page 2 EmptyTue Mar 02, 2010 1:46 pm

Eldo wrote:
Isn't there any clue in the carpeting as to where the water can be coming from, or at least where it can't be?

I had one leak in the crease where the top of the rear quarter panel meets the sail panel. You can look in there by pulling the black plastic 'shaft' at either side of the top trunk-gutter off of its respective stud, and then peeling the rest of the strip out of the seam.

Does that pull out at the bottom in the well were the hings sits? It looks to be in there real good and I don't want to break anything
Back to top Go down
Snowdog
Addict
Snowdog

Name : Timo
Merit : 24

PostSubject: Re: Trunk Leaks   Trunk Leaks - Page 2 EmptyTue Mar 02, 2010 2:09 pm