Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

engine swaps for N/A Series II

Go down 
+23
jamie
EatDirtFartDust
Abaddon
moldymac
'96reese
Ryan from Ohio
deekster_caddy
albertj
turtleman
Rickw
senabunns
Rebekahssm
Archangel
Mr.Riviera
T Riley
AA
jax95riv
SpaceBar
xxsupergman25xx
Brad95Riv
NO 4 EVR
oldsman105
BIGAL1128
27 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
BIGAL1128
Amateur

Merit : 0

engine swaps for N/A Series II - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: engine swaps for N/A Series II   engine swaps for N/A Series II - Page 2 EmptyMon May 14, 2007 1:08 pm

AA wrote:
Al, thank you very much for all the information. This is the kind of stuff that benefits the forum the most! Keep us updated, and best of luck finishing the project.

Thank you for the kind words. I wish there were a forum like this when i swapped a 350 small block chevy into my 70 GTO judge back in the 80's, Would have taken days instead of months.
Back to top Go down
AA
Administrator
AA

Name : Aaron
Merit : 252

PostSubject: Re: engine swaps for N/A Series II   engine swaps for N/A Series II - Page 2 EmptyMon May 14, 2007 1:27 pm

Lol. Probably the closest thing to a discussion board back then was, uh... CB radio?!!

'05 GTO 6.0L • 6-spd • 95k miles • 0-60: 4.8s • 16.9 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:26

'95 Celica GT 2.2L • 5-spd • 165k miles • 0-60: yes

'98 SC Riviera • 281k miles • 298 HP/370 TQ • 0-60: 5.79s • ET: 13.97 @ 99.28 • 4087 lb • 20.1 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:30
3.4" pulley • AL104 plugs • 180º t-stat • FWI w/K&N • 1.9:1 rockers • OR pushrods • LS6 valve springs • SLP headers • ZZP fuel rails
KYB GR2 struts • MaxAir shocks • Addco sway bars • UMI bushings • GM STB • Enkei 18" EV5s w/ Dunlop DZ101s • F-body calipers
EBC bluestuff/Hawk HP plus • SS lines • Brembo slotted discs • DHP tuned • Aeroforce • Hidden Hitch

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown

'70 Ninety-Eight Holiday Coupe 455cid • 116k miles
^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/657082/4
oldsman105
Junkie
oldsman105

Name : Enrique Patino
Merit : 10

PostSubject: Re: engine swaps for N/A Series II   engine swaps for N/A Series II - Page 2 EmptyMon May 14, 2007 10:26 pm

98riviera98 wrote:
Mr.Riviera wrote:
i dont think there is any way to test the pump, but PS pumps are pretty cheap cant you just get a reman and install it before the swap?
so whats different about the manifolds?
good work so far thumbsup

on the NON SUPERCHARGED they are like this (the portholes) 0..0.....0
and the superchargerd (the portholes) 0 0 0

Actually the NON sc has the evenly spaced port holes as well. The Series 1 supercharged has the uneven port spacing.
Back to top Go down
BIGAL1128
Amateur

PostSubject: Latest Update   engine swaps for N/A Series II - Page 2 EmptyFri May 18, 2007 11:45 am

Goog Morning,
Well the saga continues. After several hours of trying to make the new fuel fittings, i gave up. I was having no luck with the $500.00 tool that i borrowed, so i decided that the fastest way to do this was to cut the ends off of the SC cars supply line and return line, i left about 3 inches of tubing after the flare and cut them both. Then i bought two 6 inch lengths of high pressure Fuel injection repair hose and 8 mini clamps. i slid the ends that i just cut into the fuel hose and double clamped them, then i slid the hose onto the existing lines on the NON SC car and double clamped them. The remaining third line is a vapor return line and doesn't need to be changed as it is the same on both engines. be sure not to cut the ends of the original fuel lines (NON SC car) or else you will need to flare them so that you get a good seal.

We plan to fire up the car tomorrow so more to come.

BIG-AL

P.S. How do i upload a picture? I will send a picture of the mod that i did if someone shows me how to upload it.

Thanks
Back to top Go down
AA
Administrator
AA

Name : Aaron
Merit : 252

PostSubject: Re: engine swaps for N/A Series II   engine swaps for N/A Series II - Page 2 EmptyFri May 18, 2007 12:05 pm

You can't upload photos directly to our site. Read our FAQ entry on posting images.

'05 GTO 6.0L • 6-spd • 95k miles • 0-60: 4.8s • 16.9 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:26

'95 Celica GT 2.2L • 5-spd • 165k miles • 0-60: yes

'98 SC Riviera • 281k miles • 298 HP/370 TQ • 0-60: 5.79s • ET: 13.97 @ 99.28 • 4087 lb • 20.1 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:30
3.4" pulley • AL104 plugs • 180º t-stat • FWI w/K&N • 1.9:1 rockers • OR pushrods • LS6 valve springs • SLP headers • ZZP fuel rails
KYB GR2 struts • MaxAir shocks • Addco sway bars • UMI bushings • GM STB • Enkei 18" EV5s w/ Dunlop DZ101s • F-body calipers
EBC bluestuff/Hawk HP plus • SS lines • Brembo slotted discs • DHP tuned • Aeroforce • Hidden Hitch

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown

'70 Ninety-Eight Holiday Coupe 455cid • 116k miles
^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/657082/4
Rebekahssm
Amateur

Name : Rebekah

PostSubject: Re: engine swaps for N/A Series II   engine swaps for N/A Series II - Page 2 EmptySun May 20, 2007 12:13 pm

AA wrote:
Lol. Probably the closest thing to a discussion board back then was, uh... CB radio?!!

lol Actually it was/is a counter, at least around here. The gear heads seem to congregate in each others garages and meet up regularly in diners, coffee and/ or donut shops where they sit for hours chatting about everything, but mostly motors happy
Back to top Go down
BIGAL1128
Amateur

PostSubject: Re: engine swaps for N/A Series II   engine swaps for N/A Series II - Page 2 EmptyTue May 22, 2007 8:45 am

Hi,

Well we finally got her fired up. We ran into some minor problems at the end. it seems that even the blocks are different between the two cars. there is a engine to chassis ground wire near the starter that will not bolt up to the SC engine without modification. Drill out the the existing hole in the groung wire about two sizes and then it will bolt up to the block. Also the AC compressor is different. At this point i'am going to try to just change the pressure lines from the SC car. I don't know if they are any good as the AC didn't work in the SC car when i got it. But the good news was all i needed to do was plug in the computer and after about 1 minute the computer relearned itself and it's running good. It has a little skip in it but i think that was my fault. when i put on the new wires i might have messed it up.

Thanks for all the help.

BIG-AL
Back to top Go down
NO 4 EVR
Addict
NO 4 EVR

Name : Troy
Merit : 1

PostSubject: Re: engine swaps for N/A Series II   engine swaps for N/A Series II - Page 2 EmptyTue May 22, 2007 2:49 pm

Glad to hear that everything seems pretty good. Keep us posted on how she runs in the coming days. And good job!
Back to top Go down
SpaceBar
Aficionado
SpaceBar

Name : Patrick
Merit : 3

PostSubject: Re: engine swaps for N/A Series II   engine swaps for N/A Series II - Page 2 EmptyTue May 22, 2007 9:45 pm

Nice job! Hope it keeps up ok.
Back to top Go down
http://community.webshots.com/user/xspacebarx
BIGAL1128
Amateur

PostSubject: Re: engine swaps for N/A Series II   engine swaps for N/A Series II - Page 2 EmptyWed May 23, 2007 11:41 am

Thanks for kind words fellas.

I changed the coil packs and the skip is gone. This thing runs like a rocket ship. i can't believe the difference between the NON SC and the SC.

BIG-AL is happy now smile

I do need one more thing. Can any of you factory SC guys tell me where do the vacuum lines go for the cruise control? We never marked them and now i have no reference to go back to.

Thanks,

BIG-AL
Back to top Go down
SpaceBar
Aficionado
SpaceBar

Name : Patrick
Merit : 3

PostSubject: Re: engine swaps for N/A Series II   engine swaps for N/A Series II - Page 2 EmptyThu May 24, 2007 9:57 pm

Congrats!

Now that you have the S/C engine work its time to start modding. wink
Back to top Go down
http://community.webshots.com/user/xspacebarx
Brad95Riv
Brad95Riv

Name : Brad

PostSubject: Re: engine swaps for N/A Series II   engine swaps for N/A Series II - Page 2 EmptySat May 26, 2007 8:47 am

BIGAL1128 wrote:
Thanks for kind words fellas.

I changed the coil packs and the skip is gone. This thing runs like a rocket ship. i can't believe the difference between the NON SC and the SC.

BIG-AL is happy now smile

I do need one more thing. Can any of you factory SC guys tell me where do the vacuum lines go for the cruise control? We never marked them and now i have no reference to go back to.

Thanks,

BIG-AL

Congrats on getting the swap done!

As for those vacuum lines, I may be able to help. If I don't get back to you in the next couple of days, send me an email.
Back to top Go down
senabunns
Amateur
senabunns

Name : Kyle Sena

PostSubject: engine swaps for N/A Series II   engine swaps for N/A Series II - Page 2 EmptyTue Mar 02, 2010 6:32 pm

hey i have a 95 non supercharged riv with a seized engine. other than the 3800 what engines can i swap mine for with minimal amount of mods.
Back to top Go down
Rickw
Guru

Name : Rick
Merit : 119

PostSubject: Re: engine swaps for N/A Series II   engine swaps for N/A Series II - Page 2 EmptyTue Mar 02, 2010 10:02 pm

A 1995 3800 N/A - cheapest and easiest
Back to top Go down
turtleman
Expert
turtleman

Name : Codith
Merit : 140

PostSubject: Re: engine swaps for N/A Series II   engine swaps for N/A Series II - Page 2 EmptyTue Mar 02, 2010 10:21 pm

Yeah, there's nothing that I would call easy besides putting back in what came out for this car. It's not like a civic. It would involve wiring and experience just to get a supercharged series II in there since the PCM's are not compatable. If you decided to put a superchared series II in and go through it all, You would probably want to get the electronic transmission to go with it to so there's the cost of that to consider also.

Not trying to discourage a swap but there should be no fantasy that it is easy.
Back to top Go down
senabunns
Amateur
senabunns

Name : Kyle Sena

PostSubject: Re: engine swaps for N/A Series II   engine swaps for N/A Series II - Page 2 EmptyTue Mar 02, 2010 10:31 pm

yea ive done the s/c swap before on a 92 grand prix from a series one to a supercharged series two so i know what i would have to do as far a rewireing the whole pcm, i am more concerend as to what engines would bolt up as far as motor mounts and all that fun stuff.
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :
Merit : 180

PostSubject: Re: engine swaps for N/A Series II   engine swaps for N/A Series II - Page 2 EmptyTue Mar 02, 2010 11:25 pm

might want to go to a junkyard and look at anything with FWD and a Northstar. Preferably a 1st gen Aurora.

Albertj
Back to top Go down
deekster_caddy
Master

Name : Derek
Merit : 109

PostSubject: Re: engine swaps for N/A Series II   engine swaps for N/A Series II - Page 2 EmptyWed Mar 03, 2010 9:45 am

The '95 Non supercharged has the Series II 3800, they should be very readily available. As to swapping with another motor - if you are doing a complete drivetrain swap and take the PCM and engine harness from the donor car it should be doable, but I would just look for another 3800 Series II motor. It is the easiest way out.
Back to top Go down
Ryan from Ohio
Fanatic

Name : Ryan
Merit : 7

PostSubject: Re: engine swaps for N/A Series II   engine swaps for N/A Series II - Page 2 EmptyThu Mar 11, 2010 7:28 pm

I put in a 2004 3800

I believe those are series 3.

Had to swap out all the sensors, fuel injectors, TB and so forth.

Also note the oil filter is a modular part, so keep your old engine until the swap is done.
Back to top Go down
'96reese
Fanatic

Name : Reese
Merit : 4

PostSubject: series 3 motor swap   engine swaps for N/A Series II - Page 2 EmptyTue Apr 13, 2010 10:09 pm

how hard would it be to do a series3 motor and trans swap????????? found this on craigslist.

[url]http://stlouis.craigslist.org/pts/1680864592.html
Back to top Go down
moldymac
Fanatic

Name : David
Merit : 19

PostSubject: Re: engine swaps for N/A Series II   engine swaps for N/A Series II - Page 2 EmptyWed Apr 14, 2010 5:36 pm

I don't know about the trans, but I thought that the motor was pretty straight forward. I think you swap the injector rail and the throttle body from your old engine to this one. There might be more to it, not sure though.
Back to top Go down
Abaddon
Expert
Abaddon

Name : Scott
Merit : 185

PostSubject: Re: engine swaps for N/A Series II   engine swaps for N/A Series II - Page 2 EmptyWed Apr 14, 2010 6:38 pm

Complete wire harness, PCM, TCM, BCM, cradle mods, and many others to list......Unless your planning a project I wouldn't recommend it.
Now if you just took the bottom end and transferred everything else from your engine to it, it will work....but as far as putting in the complete engine don't bother.

*Example* A 2004 Grand Prix uses an electronic (drive by wire) throttle body and requires different programming and wiring, hence the PCM and harness change. Along with this comes the APP sensors on the accelerator pedal......this is only the beginning of the nightmare......
Back to top Go down
Mr.Riviera
Expert
Mr.Riviera

Name : Matthew
Merit : 101

PostSubject: Re: engine swaps for N/A Series II   engine swaps for N/A Series II - Page 2 EmptyWed Apr 14, 2010 7:13 pm

If you already had a L67 the swap would not be too hard. you would need a gen V adapter for a L67 TB, and the transmission might be a problem due to the changes in mounting braces. (I believe we share the same rear brace as the Bonneville)

However, you have a N/A motor, pcm, etc and the 4t60e transmission. so like Scott said, its a project!

Back to top Go down
EatDirtFartDust
Fanatic

Name : The Josh
Location : Somewhere between Sullivan and Saint Peters Missouri.
Merit : 2

PostSubject: 95 engine/trans swap/upgrade (to Series I SC)   engine swaps for N/A Series II - Page 2 EmptySun Aug 15, 2010 8:04 pm

My trans was hanging in third gear, before I could get that fixed, the engine gave out. It was naturally aspirated. I'm looking at a supercharged engine/trans combo. What else besides the wiring harness do I need from the salvage yard?

Thanks in advance,
-Josh
Back to top Go down
Abaddon
Expert
Abaddon

Name : Scott
Merit : 185

PostSubject: Re: engine swaps for N/A Series II   engine swaps for N/A Series II - Page 2 EmptySun Aug 15, 2010 10:22 pm

The PCM for starters.....
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: engine swaps for N/A Series II   engine swaps for N/A Series II - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

engine swaps for N/A Series II
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next