Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

Write-Up: Disabling and Removing the Airbag Module & Steering Wheel

Go down 
+26
sburch23
Cmurphy
AA
Abaddon
duckstu
Rickw
EatDirtFartDust
BMD
1wickedninja
Chicken
'96reese
skuchin
T Riley
sqrivi
Jack the R
IBx1
TonySmooth89
albertj
palermocorey90
xxsupergman25xx
deekster_caddy
Shintsu
1998 Riv
ibmoses
97rivman
turtleman
30 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Chicken
Aficionado
Chicken

Name : Mark
Merit : 8

Write-Up: Disabling and Removing the Airbag Module & Steering Wheel - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Disabling and Removing the Airbag Module & Steering Wheel   Write-Up: Disabling and Removing the Airbag Module & Steering Wheel - Page 2 EmptyFri Aug 29, 2008 11:34 am

One of my favorite Onion stories:

http://www.theonion.com/content/node/30400
Back to top Go down
http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile
1wickedninja
Addict
1wickedninja

Name : Josh
Merit : 5

Write-Up: Disabling and Removing the Airbag Module & Steering Wheel - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Disabling and Removing the Airbag Module & Steering Wheel   Write-Up: Disabling and Removing the Airbag Module & Steering Wheel - Page 2 EmptyFri Aug 29, 2008 8:30 pm

dam that's some funny shit chicken! To bad I have a 96. LOL
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/1wickedninja
ibmoses
Aficionado
ibmoses

Name : Bert
Merit : 32

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Disabling and Removing the Airbag Module & Steering Wheel   Write-Up: Disabling and Removing the Airbag Module & Steering Wheel - Page 2 EmptyFri Aug 29, 2008 8:46 pm

skuchin wrote:
Thanks for the tip on waiting an hour, I have heard stories about acidental airbag inflation, and I am a little nervous about playing with it.

A few weeks ago ac blower started acting up, not blowing then all of a sudden start, might have been my imagination, but it seemed like sometime it would start when I would turn a corner or hit a slight bump in the road. I would beat on sterring wheel/ dash above switch and could never make it come on. Now as few days ago it quit blowing completely, won't come on at all. Not on any setting.

That sounds more like a problem with the blower motor.

Bert tavis
Back to top Go down
BMD
Aficionado
BMD

Name : BMD
Merit : 36

PostSubject: Steering Wheel Replacement   Write-Up: Disabling and Removing the Airbag Module & Steering Wheel - Page 2 EmptyTue Apr 28, 2009 11:08 pm

Hey Guys,

I'm new here, infact this is my first post. I wish a had found out about this site sooner. It would have saved me a lot of headaches trying to figure out some of the issues I have had with my Riv. Mine is a 1996 S/C Riv, It is Black Cherry on the outside and red leather on the inside. It looks great in and out except my steering wheel. I always wanted to replace the stock one with one with woodgrain. I had approached a Dealership a few years ago and they had an aftermarket unit to replace it, but it was around $700 and at the time I didn't want to lay out the cash. Now that the car is older fewer and fewer parts are available through the dealer including that steering wheel. Anyway, the point is, does anyone know where to get a replacement steering wheel that utilizes the audio controls and airbag?

Write-Up: Disabling and Removing the Airbag Module & Steering Wheel - Page 2 363100671

Write-Up: Disabling and Removing the Airbag Module & Steering Wheel - Page 2 363100674

Last edited by BMD on Fri May 01, 2009 11:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
IBx1
Expert
IBx1

Name : ILAN
Merit : 69

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Disabling and Removing the Airbag Module & Steering Wheel   Write-Up: Disabling and Removing the Airbag Module & Steering Wheel - Page 2 EmptyTue Apr 28, 2009 11:28 pm

Not sure about the steering wheel, but that car is holy-shit clean!! shocked

Don't spend $700 on just a steering wheel. Trust me, for that kind of money you can do mild exhaust, FWI, HID lights, and replace all the stock speakers with a good $200+ left for gas.

Happy Riv-ing!
Back to top Go down
Jack the R
Master
Jack the R

Merit : 105

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Disabling and Removing the Airbag Module & Steering Wheel   Write-Up: Disabling and Removing the Airbag Module & Steering Wheel - Page 2 EmptyTue Apr 28, 2009 11:32 pm

I googled around and I don't think there is any such beast, let alone one that would match the lines of the Riv's interior.

What's wrong with your stock wheel? If the paint's wearing off, repaint it with SEM. It'll be a PITA to pull, but good as new afterwards.
Back to top Go down
BMD
Aficionado
BMD

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Disabling and Removing the Airbag Module & Steering Wheel   Write-Up: Disabling and Removing the Airbag Module & Steering Wheel - Page 2 EmptyWed Apr 29, 2009 1:07 pm

Thanks for the response guys! Yeah the paint is wearing off. I used Windex to clean the interior ( only use soap and water ) and it took off some of the color and soon after it started to look worse, the two pieces on either side are turning black. I guess I took off the protective coating and now it makes the rest of the interior look bad. I know it can be painted, but I think the woodgrain would look sharp. I knew I would regret not buying the one I saw awhile back. If anyone comes across anything, let me know please, Thanks!

Last edited by BMD on Wed Dec 09, 2009 6:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
EatDirtFartDust
Fanatic

Name : The Josh
Location : Somewhere between Sullivan and Saint Peters Missouri.
Merit : 2

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Disabling and Removing the Airbag Module & Steering Wheel   Write-Up: Disabling and Removing the Airbag Module & Steering Wheel - Page 2 EmptyWed Apr 29, 2009 2:10 pm

Ooh, on a side note, can you get some more pictures of that woodgrain you have inside? I have the same interior and am trying to figure out which woodgrain kit to buy.

Also, the guy we use at my work for repairing interior trim, has a kit he can install for about $170 that would put a woodgrain panel across the top, and new stitched leather all round the rest. But he's here in St. Louis.
Back to top Go down
deekster_caddy
Master

Name : Derek
Merit : 109

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Disabling and Removing the Airbag Module & Steering Wheel   Write-Up: Disabling and Removing the Airbag Module & Steering Wheel - Page 2 EmptyWed Apr 29, 2009 2:26 pm

I like the exterior paint color, nice!

I thought I saw somebody put a caddy STS woodgrain-ish wheel on one. Seems like it shouldn't be too difficult.
Back to top Go down
Jack the R
Master
Jack the R

Merit : 105

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Disabling and Removing the Airbag Module & Steering Wheel   Write-Up: Disabling and Removing the Airbag Module & Steering Wheel - Page 2 EmptyWed Apr 29, 2009 4:00 pm

deekster_caddy wrote:
I like the exterior paint color, nice!

I thought I saw somebody put a caddy STS woodgrain-ish wheel on one. Seems like it shouldn't be too difficult.

IIRC Corey was talking about it and the rest of us talked him down. No way the angular STS wheel will work in a curvy Riv interior.
Back to top Go down
BMD
Aficionado
BMD

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Disabling and Removing the Airbag Module & Steering Wheel   Write-Up: Disabling and Removing the Airbag Module & Steering Wheel - Page 2 EmptyWed Apr 29, 2009 6:57 pm

EatDirtFartDust wrote:
Ooh, on a side note, can you get some more pictures of that woodgrain you have inside? I have the same interior and am trying to figure out which woodgrain kit to buy.

Also, the guy we use at my work for repairing interior trim, has a kit he can install for about $170 that would put a woodgrain panel across the top, and new stitched leather all round the rest. But he's here in St. Louis.

Here is a pic of the woodgrain in my car, I think it's called Burl Oak...
Write-Up: Disabling and Removing the Airbag Module & Steering Wheel - Page 2 362897932
Too bad your co-worker doesn't sell that kit on-line.
Back to top Go down
EatDirtFartDust
Fanatic

Name : The Josh
Location : Somewhere between Sullivan and Saint Peters Missouri.
Merit : 2

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Disabling and Removing the Airbag Module & Steering Wheel   Write-Up: Disabling and Removing the Airbag Module & Steering Wheel - Page 2 EmptyWed Apr 29, 2009 8:55 pm

i'll ask him aboot it
Back to top Go down
BMD
Aficionado
BMD

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Disabling and Removing the Airbag Module & Steering Wheel   Write-Up: Disabling and Removing the Airbag Module & Steering Wheel - Page 2 EmptyWed Dec 09, 2009 6:30 pm

Well, I found a few places that will either wrap leather around your entire steering wheel or do a combination of leather and woodgrain. The problem is, you have to send them your steering wheel core, it takes awhile to do and the cost is still significant. So I am thinking of either taking mine off and painting it or replacing it with another stock steering wheel. However, I am having trouble finding a Riv steering wheel in my color, so my question is, does any other Buick have the same exact steering wheel as us?
Back to top Go down
Rickw
Guru

Name : Rick
Merit : 119

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Disabling and Removing the Airbag Module & Steering Wheel   Write-Up: Disabling and Removing the Airbag Module & Steering Wheel - Page 2 EmptyWed Dec 09, 2009 8:54 pm

Take a look at this product and see if will help with your steering wheel.?
www.leatherique.com./
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :
Merit : 181

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Disabling and Removing the Airbag Module & Steering Wheel   Write-Up: Disabling and Removing the Airbag Module & Steering Wheel - Page 2 EmptyWed Dec 09, 2009 11:19 pm

BMD wrote:
Well, I found a few places that will either wrap leather around your entire steering wheel or do a combination of leather and woodgrain. The problem is, you have to send them your steering wheel core, it takes awhile to do and the cost is still significant. So I am thinking of either taking mine off and painting it or replacing it with another stock steering wheel. However, I am having trouble finding a Riv steering wheel in my color, so my question is, does any other Buick have the same exact steering wheel as us?

I ws emailing back and forth with Ed Morad about this. I failed to explain to him that I wanted a sound steering wheel but it did not have to have all the paint on it, because I planned to have it refinished. I'd just prefer to have it in Toreador Red so that it's not hard for the refinisher to match the paint.

Albertj
Back to top Go down
BMD
Aficionado
BMD

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Disabling and Removing the Airbag Module & Steering Wheel   Write-Up: Disabling and Removing the Airbag Module & Steering Wheel - Page 2 EmptyThu Dec 10, 2009 9:10 am

albertj wrote:
I ws emailing back and forth with Ed Morad about this. I failed to explain to him that I wanted a sound steering wheel but it did not have to have all the paint on it, because I planned to have it refinished. I'd just prefer to have it in Toreador Red so that it's not hard for the refinisher to match the paint.

Albertj
Thats pretty much my thought, finding a replacement steering wheel in the same colour will reduce the amount of coats you need to use to cover the original. The main reason I would like to find a second wheel is because I need to continue driving my Riv while I prep and paint the other before installation. The other reason is because my wheel has lost almost all of the texture on it. But my question remains... did any other Buick use the exact same steering wheel used in the Riv?

Here is a link to what looks like a good product...
http://www.parasolinc.com

@ Rick. Thanks for your link aswell, but I think my steering wheel is too far gone for that. wink
Back to top Go down
duckstu

Name : Stuart
Merit : 10

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Disabling and Removing the Airbag Module & Steering Wheel   Write-Up: Disabling and Removing the Airbag Module & Steering Wheel - Page 2 EmptyThu Dec 10, 2009 10:09 am

What about having it recovered by a really good upholstery place?

Perhaps you can buy a beat up wheel from a salvage yard cheap to use while your red one is being redone?

I too have a red wheel,...and that and the left upper seat boulster are the only things that don't look really good.

I've been keeping an eye on ebay and such for a nicer used wheel,...but I haven;t seen anything come up in any color. So I don't have much hope in finding one.
Back to top Go down
BMD
Aficionado
BMD

PostSubject: Write-Up: Disabling and Removing the Airbag Module & Steering Wheel   Write-Up: Disabling and Removing the Airbag Module & Steering Wheel - Page 2 EmptyMon Apr 26, 2010 10:04 pm

I've got a new steering wheel I want to put in the car soon and since it looks like I will be replacing my battery I thought this would be the perfect time to remove the airbag, so I wanted to ask if this procedure I found on-line for removing GM steering wheels is correct?

Before disabling the Supplemental Restraint System (SIR), turn ignition to the ON position and observe the air bag lamp in dash. This lamp should flash 7 times and then go out. If lamp remains on before or after the 7 flashes, a problem exists in the system and MUST be repaired before proceeding with the disabling procedure.

Disconnect the negative battery cable and remove the air bag fuse from the fuse panel

Disconnect the orange connector position assurance clip (CPA) from yellow SIR connector under dash.

1. Position the steering wheel so that it is pointed straight ahead. Write down all of your radio presets
as these may be lost when you disconnect the battery cable.
2. NOTICE - Disconnect the negative battery cable and wait at least 1 full minute for the circuit to
completely discharge before proceeding. CAUTION: Failure to fully deplete the backup power
supply could result in an accidental deployment and possible injury.
3. Using a 3-4mm (1/8”-5/32”) Allen wrench release the 2 spring fasteners by pushing inward through
the access holes. The access holes are located on both sides of the rear plastic steering wheel
shroud.
4. Lift and partially remove the airbag module from the steering wheel in order to expose the electrical
connectors on the back side. Take care not to pull on any of the wiring.
5. The airbag electrical connections have a safety locking connector-position assurance (CPA) clip that
must be disconnected before you can remove the electrical connectors from the module.
6. Disconnect the electrical connectors from the airbag module.
7. Remove the airbag module from the steering wheel and place the module face up on the floor, seat
or work bench. If you carry the module make sure the trim cover is pointed AWAY from your body.

Last edited by BMD on Tue Jul 20, 2010 11:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Abaddon
Expert
Abaddon

Name : Scott
Merit : 185

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Disabling and Removing the Airbag Module & Steering Wheel   Write-Up: Disabling and Removing the Airbag Module & Steering Wheel - Page 2 EmptyMon Apr 26, 2010 10:21 pm

The only thing that will happen is the Airbag light will be on and......that's it. SRS won't work until you plug it back in.
Back to top Go down
BMD
Aficionado
BMD

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Disabling and Removing the Airbag Module & Steering Wheel   Write-Up: Disabling and Removing the Airbag Module & Steering Wheel - Page 2 EmptyMon Apr 26, 2010 11:10 pm

Cool, but I just wanted to make sure if this process is correct? and if leaving an air bag off for an undetermined amount of time is OK?
Back to top Go down
AA
Administrator
AA

Name : Aaron
Merit : 252

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Disabling and Removing the Airbag Module & Steering Wheel   Write-Up: Disabling and Removing the Airbag Module & Steering Wheel - Page 2 EmptyMon Apr 26, 2010 11:14 pm

Anyone who tries this, please be careful. Make sure you are never in front of the steering wheel at any time during the procedure.

'05 GTO 6.0L • 6-spd • 95k miles • 0-60: 4.8s • 16.9 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:26

'95 Celica GT 2.2L • 5-spd • 165k miles • 0-60: yes

'98 SC Riviera • 281k miles • 298 HP/370 TQ • 0-60: 5.79s • ET: 13.97 @ 99.28 • 4087 lb • 20.1 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:30
3.4" pulley • AL104 plugs • 180º t-stat • FWI w/K&N • 1.9:1 rockers • OR pushrods • LS6 valve springs • SLP headers • ZZP fuel rails
KYB GR2 struts • MaxAir shocks • Addco sway bars • UMI bushings • GM STB • Enkei 18" EV5s w/ Dunlop DZ101s • F-body calipers
EBC bluestuff/Hawk HP plus • SS lines • Brembo slotted discs • DHP tuned • Aeroforce • Hidden Hitch

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown

'70 Ninety-Eight Holiday Coupe 455cid • 116k miles
^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/657082/4
Abaddon
Expert
Abaddon

Name : Scott
Merit : 185

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Disabling and Removing the Airbag Module & Steering Wheel   Write-Up: Disabling and Removing the Airbag Module & Steering Wheel - Page 2 EmptyMon Apr 26, 2010 11:22 pm

As long as you disconnect the battery, and your not probing around with a test light, you'll be ok.

I've only seen 1 airbag go off on someone during repairs, but that's cause the dumb ass FA!LED to abide by those rules and had the key on.....btw it was an entire side-curtain in a Yukon.
Back to top Go down
BMD
Aficionado
BMD

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Disabling and Removing the Airbag Module & Steering Wheel   Write-Up: Disabling and Removing the Airbag Module & Steering Wheel - Page 2 EmptyTue Jul 20, 2010 11:09 pm

Well I followed the instructions I found online and successfully dis-armed the air bag system and switched my steering wheel. There are a few differences from the instructions in my first post.

DO THIS REPAIR AT YOUR OWN RISK. I DO NOT TAKE ANY RESPONSIBILITY FOR ANY INJURIES THAT INDIVIDUALS MAY SUFFER FOLLOWING THESE INSTRUCTIONS!

Before disabling the Supplemental Restraint System (SRS), turn ignition to the ON position and observe the air bag lamp in dash. This lamp should flash 7 times and then go out. If lamp remains on before or after the 7 flashes, a problem exists in the system and MUST be repaired before proceeding with the disabling procedure.

Position the steering wheel so that you can reach the 2 spring fasteners. Take the keys out of the ignition and put aside.
Write-Up: Disabling and Removing the Airbag Module & Steering Wheel - Page 2 389913480
Disconnect the negative battery cable and wait at least 1 full minute for the circuit to completely discharge before proceeding. I wasn't in any hurry so I waited overnight, and also removed the positive cable.
CAUTION: Failure to fully deplete the backup power supply could result in an accidental deployment and possible injury.
Write-Up: Disabling and Removing the Airbag Module & Steering Wheel - Page 2 389913482
Remove the air bag fuse from the fuse panel

Write-Up: Disabling and Removing the Airbag Module & Steering Wheel - Page 2 389913484
Disconnect the blue connector position assurance clip (CPA) from yellow SIR connector under dash. To get to it you will have to remove the black plastic cover under the knee bolster by removing three 7mm screws. You will also have to unscrew the under dash courtesy light. I had to lie down on the floor to get to the SIR connector. It would be easier to get to if you remove the knee bolster, but that would require removing the dash, which I didn't want to do.

Write-Up: Disabling and Removing the Airbag Module & Steering Wheel - Page 2 389913487
Write-Up: Disabling and Removing the Airbag Module & Steering Wheel - Page 2 389913489
Write-Up: Disabling and Removing the Airbag Module & Steering Wheel - Page 2 389913493

3. Using a 3-4mm (1/8”-5/32”) Allen wrench, release the 2 spring fasteners by pushing inward through
the access holes. The access holes are located on both sides of the rear plastic steering wheel
shroud. You could also use a ratchet and allen bit as I did.
Write-Up: Disabling and Removing the Airbag Module & Steering Wheel - Page 2 389913496
Write-Up: Disabling and Removing the Airbag Module & Steering Wheel - Page 2 389913497
4. Lift and partially remove the airbag module from the steering wheel in order to expose the electrical
connectors on the back side. Take care not to pull on any of the wiring.
5. Disconnect the electrical connectors from the airbag module. The airbag electrical connections have a green safety locking connector-position assurance (CPA) clip that
must be disconnected before you can remove the electrical connectors from the module. B, is the horn connection and C, is the ground for the horn, you pull both of these out. Once you have the horn connector out, you will see a spring. This spring can be stretched to increase the tension to provide better contact and for sensitive honking. I also lightly sanded the copper end on the horn connector, just to create a clean connection.
Write-Up: Disabling and Removing the Airbag Module & Steering Wheel - Page 2 389914743
6. Remove the airbag module from the steering wheel and place the module face up on the floor, seat
or work bench. If you carry the module make sure the trim cover is pointed AWAY from your body.
Write-Up: Disabling and Removing the Airbag Module & Steering Wheel - Page 2 389913500
Using a 13/16 socket, remove the nut that tightens the steering wheel to the column.
Write-Up: Disabling and Removing the Airbag Module & Steering Wheel - Page 2 389913501
Next, use a steering wheel puller tool, to remove the steering wheel. Your gonna have to crank on it and eventually it’ll pop off.
Write-Up: Disabling and Removing the Airbag Module & Steering Wheel - Page 2 389913503
This is what you’ll see when you’re all done.
Write-Up: Disabling and Removing the Airbag Module & Steering Wheel - Page 2 389913505
Here is what my steering wheel looked like….
Write-Up: Disabling and Removing the Airbag Module & Steering Wheel - Page 2 389913506
This is the steering wheel I got from the wreckers before and after.
Write-Up: Disabling and Removing the Airbag Module & Steering Wheel - Page 2 389913468
Write-Up: Disabling and Removing the Airbag Module & Steering Wheel - Page 2 389913470
Write-Up: Disabling and Removing the Airbag Module & Steering Wheel - Page 2 389913473
Write-Up: Disabling and Removing the Airbag Module & Steering Wheel - Page 2 389913458
Write-Up: Disabling and Removing the Airbag Module & Steering Wheel - Page 2 389913455
Write-Up: Disabling and Removing the Airbag Module & Steering Wheel - Page 2 389913452
I realized when I got home from the wreckers that it doesn’t have the stitching that the Riv’s steering wheel has. Still, it looks 100% better than my original wheel. One day I plan to put the Rivs' wheel there but not anytime soon. Hope this helps someone and remember to take all precautions seriously when doing this repair.

Last edited by BMD on Mon Sep 12, 2011 9:56 pm; edited 3 times in total
Back to top Go down
Cmurphy
Cmurphy

Name : Charlie Murphy
Merit : 1

PostSubject: After Market Steering wheel?   Write-Up: Disabling and Removing the Airbag Module & Steering Wheel - Page 2 EmptySun Jan 30, 2011 6:42 pm

Has anyone installed a aftermarket steering wheel?

Mine looks terrible and i really don't want the air bag cause i'm really tall the only thing i'd miss is the radio controls but they are all worn off and just look bad too.
Back to top Go down
turtleman
Expert
turtleman

Name : Codith
Merit : 140

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Disabling and Removing the Airbag Module & Steering Wheel   Write-Up: Disabling and Removing the Airbag Module & Steering Wheel - Page 2 EmptySun Jan 30, 2011 6:47 pm

I installed now two Grant wheels. With the adapter, they fit great. If you want to get a product by Grant, I'd recommend the signature series. the horn button design kinda sucks on the Challenger series.
The airbag light will come on once you remove the OEM steering wheel. I'm not for sure but I'd guess it the system probably disables the passenger side air bag as a result of that "malfunction" state.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Disabling and Removing the Airbag Module & Steering Wheel   Write-Up: Disabling and Removing the Airbag Module & Steering Wheel - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Write-Up: Disabling and Removing the Airbag Module & Steering Wheel
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next