Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

Belt/Pulley Noise

Go down 
+11
Abaddon
AA
Eldo
moldymac
cadillacman
flyineagle96
robotennis61
LARRY70GS
Hometown Hero
97 park ave
DEMonte1997
15 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
DEMonte1997
Aficionado
DEMonte1997

Name : Rick
Merit : 37

Belt/Pulley Noise - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Belt/Pulley Noise   Belt/Pulley Noise - Page 2 EmptyMon Sep 13, 2010 1:19 am

After driving the car for two days, the sound is definitely GONE. Couldn't be happier. Thanks again Derek. I owe you threefold. Seriously. bow
Back to top Go down
Eldo
Expert
Eldo

Name : Mark
Merit : 104

PostSubject: Re: Belt/Pulley Noise   Belt/Pulley Noise - Page 2 EmptyMon Sep 13, 2010 2:06 am

Congrats Rick! We wouldn't want a noisy Rivi as ROTM... razz
Back to top Go down
DEMonte1997
Aficionado
DEMonte1997

PostSubject: Re: Belt/Pulley Noise   Belt/Pulley Noise - Page 2 EmptyMon Sep 13, 2010 3:28 pm

LOL! No we would not.
Back to top Go down
Eldo
Expert
Eldo

PostSubject: Re: Belt/Pulley Noise   Belt/Pulley Noise - Page 2 EmptyTue Sep 14, 2010 2:54 am

DEMonte1997 wrote:
LOL! No we would not.
lmfao
Back to top Go down
deekster_caddy
Master

Name : Derek
Merit : 109

PostSubject: Re: Belt/Pulley Noise   Belt/Pulley Noise - Page 2 EmptyTue Sep 14, 2010 9:33 am

Rickw wrote:
Derek,
Did you end up using the oversize pulley from way back.?
If so, how did it effect the accessories during idle.?

It helped a bit. I forget the exact number my idle voltage changed, but haven't had the car during a high-use period (winter snowstorm in traffic) to test. And I won't anymore, as I don't have the car anymore. But I know it's improved. Sorry I don't have more info than that. Also, my brother's commute is all highway, so even if he is driving in a snowstorm, he won't have to face the idling that I was subjected to.
Back to top Go down
Rickw
Guru

Merit : 119

PostSubject: Re: Belt/Pulley Noise   Belt/Pulley Noise - Page 2 EmptyTue Sep 14, 2010 1:26 pm

Well, I guess I'll try mine when I do the LIM job next week and report a before and after.
I noticed even with upgrading the wire from the Alternator to the terminal block I still had a fluctuating fan speed in the summer with AC on high. No big deal, but I want to see what this 10% pulley does for voltage readings at idle.
Back to top Go down
DEMonte1997
Aficionado
DEMonte1997

PostSubject: Re: Belt/Pulley Noise   Belt/Pulley Noise - Page 2 EmptyThu Sep 23, 2010 5:11 pm

Wait... not solved. Heard squawking today and knew something wasn't right. Pulled accessory belt off and after spinning the alternator pulley, I hear the sound. UGH... I hate that damn thing. Looks like I need an entirely new unit now. frown Funny how it was great with the new pulley for two weeks now. lol
Back to top Go down
Abaddon
Expert
Abaddon

Name : Scott
Merit : 185

PostSubject: Re: Belt/Pulley Noise   Belt/Pulley Noise - Page 2 EmptyThu Sep 23, 2010 6:52 pm

Just a suggestion, but I might be inclined to try some RC car electric motor cleaner to clean it out. I've done it before, a long time ago. It's meant for electric motors, which is all the Alternator is....only bigger.
Back to top Go down
DEMonte1997
Aficionado
DEMonte1997

PostSubject: Re: Belt/Pulley Noise   Belt/Pulley Noise - Page 2 EmptyThu Sep 23, 2010 7:35 pm

Suggestion is warmly welcomed. Thanks Scott! I'll give that a shot. smile
Back to top Go down
DEMonte1997
Aficionado
DEMonte1997

PostSubject: Re: Belt/Pulley Noise   Belt/Pulley Noise - Page 2 EmptyTue Sep 28, 2010 12:32 am

I had some QD contacts cleaner kicking around in my garage and figured I'd give it a shot. Getting a spare alt from Ed tomorrow anyway. Sprayed it sparingly inside the alt, let it dry and then ran the car. The damn thing stfu... lol. Not sure how long that will last but for now I have a quiet car again.
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :
Merit : 180

PostSubject: Re: Belt/Pulley Noise   Belt/Pulley Noise - Page 2 EmptyTue Sep 28, 2010 11:41 am

DEMonte1997 wrote:
I had some QD contacts cleaner kicking around in my garage and figured I'd give it a shot. Getting a spare alt from Ed tomorrow anyway. Sprayed it sparingly inside the alt, let it dry and then ran the car. The damn thing stfu... lol. Not sure how long that will last but for now I have a quiet car again.

too bad the alt bearing is such a pain to replace. Replace that and the brushes - those are about all that goes if you catch them early enough.

Albert
Back to top Go down
Abaddon
Expert
Abaddon

PostSubject: Re: Belt/Pulley Noise   Belt/Pulley Noise - Page 2 EmptyTue Sep 28, 2010 11:50 am

DEMonte1997 wrote:

wink lmao
Back to top Go down
DEMonte1997
Aficionado
DEMonte1997

PostSubject: Re: Belt/Pulley Noise   Belt/Pulley Noise - Page 2 EmptyTue Sep 28, 2010 3:27 pm

Day two and still no noise. Have Ed's alt sitting in a box just in case.
Back to top Go down
deekster_caddy
Master

Name : Derek
Merit : 109

PostSubject: Re: Belt/Pulley Noise   Belt/Pulley Noise - Page 2 EmptyTue Sep 28, 2010 5:34 pm

It's just a matter of time though. There's no way to get lube back inside the sealed bearing.

Just consider it a planned replacement and find a comfortable time to do it. Then do it. It will fail if you leave it in.
Back to top Go down
DEMonte1997
Aficionado
DEMonte1997

PostSubject: Re: Belt/Pulley Noise   Belt/Pulley Noise - Page 2 EmptyWed Sep 29, 2010 4:36 pm

LOL... the alt I got from Ed squeaks worse than the one I have on the car. Just turning the pulley by hand it makes all kinds of racket. Awesome.... They list it as noise free so we'll see what they do about return.
Back to top Go down
Abaddon
Expert
Abaddon

PostSubject: Re: Belt/Pulley Noise   Belt/Pulley Noise - Page 2 EmptyWed Sep 29, 2010 5:17 pm

Oh man, that sucks.
I'm curious as to how long your Alternator stays quiet.....
Back to top Go down
DEMonte1997
Aficionado
DEMonte1997

PostSubject: Re: Belt/Pulley Noise   Belt/Pulley Noise - Page 2 EmptyWed Sep 29, 2010 7:23 pm

Me too. I took the belt off today and sprayed more of that contact cleaner in there and spun the pulley by hand. When it made the noise at the end of last week, there was a spot where the pulley was hitting a "slow spot". Almost like it was catching on something. That's the exact point where it make the squeaking sound. I liken it to the sound of a bad wheel on a shopping cart. Since putting that cleaner in there, it's been surprisingly quiet. *keeps fingers crossed*

Erik wrote me back from MPC and said all the alts make noise occasionally spinning them by hand but once you put belt tension on them, they shut up. Never had an alt do that before. Oh well.
Back to top Go down
AA
Administrator
AA

Name : Aaron
Merit : 252

PostSubject: Re: Belt/Pulley Noise   Belt/Pulley Noise - Page 2 EmptyWed Sep 29, 2010 8:37 pm

Since you've tried two alternators, and from your comment about the "slow spot", have you considered the tensioner could be making the noise? I had a chirping sound for a while that came and went - replacing the tensioner fixed it. You can test the tensioner by carefully applying tension with a ratchet with engine running.

'05 GTO 6.0L • 6-spd • 95k miles • 0-60: 4.8s • 16.9 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:26

'95 Celica GT 2.2L • 5-spd • 165k miles • 0-60: yes

'98 SC Riviera • 281k miles • 298 HP/370 TQ • 0-60: 5.79s • ET: 13.97 @ 99.28 • 4087 lb • 20.1 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:30
3.4" pulley • AL104 plugs • 180º t-stat • FWI w/K&N • 1.9:1 rockers • OR pushrods • LS6 valve springs • SLP headers • ZZP fuel rails
KYB GR2 struts • MaxAir shocks • Addco sway bars • UMI bushings • GM STB • Enkei 18" EV5s w/ Dunlop DZ101s • F-body calipers
EBC bluestuff/Hawk HP plus • SS lines • Brembo slotted discs • DHP tuned • Aeroforce • Hidden Hitch

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown

'70 Ninety-Eight Holiday Coupe 455cid • 116k miles
^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/657082/4
Abaddon
Expert
Abaddon

PostSubject: Re: Belt/Pulley Noise   Belt/Pulley Noise - Page 2 EmptyWed Sep 29, 2010 9:10 pm

DEMonte1997 wrote:
Me too. I took the belt off today and sprayed more of that contact cleaner in there and spun the pulley by hand. When it made the noise at the end of last week, there was a spot where the pulley was hitting a "slow spot". Almost like it was catching on something. That's the exact point where it make the squeaking sound. I liken it to the sound of a bad wheel on a shopping cart. Since putting that cleaner in there, it's been surprisingly quiet. *keeps fingers crossed*

Makes total sense. Some dirt or something was stuck to it. Whenever my RC motors started "whining" they'd get a good cleaning. Stayed quiet until they got dirty again.
Back to top Go down
Eldo
Expert
Eldo

PostSubject: Re: Belt/Pulley Noise   Belt/Pulley Noise - Page 2 EmptyWed Sep 29, 2010 11:20 pm

DEMonte1997 wrote:
Me too. I took the belt off today and sprayed more of that contact cleaner in there and spun the pulley by hand. When it made the noise at the end of last week, there was a spot where the pulley was hitting a "slow spot". Almost like it was catching on something....
Since putting that cleaner in there, it's been surprisingly quiet. *keeps fingers crossed*

I suppose it's possible that the bearing isn't the problem, but rather oil/dust/dirt gathered in between the rotor & the stator, and the "Freon" electrical cleaner is clearing out the blockage... dunno
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Belt/Pulley Noise   Belt/Pulley Noise - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Belt/Pulley Noise
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2