Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

Tune up TIme!!!

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Wolfmaster579
Fanatic
Wolfmaster579

Name : Ryan
Merit : 2

Tune up TIme!!! Empty
PostSubject: Tune up TIme!!!   Tune up TIme!!! EmptySun Sep 12, 2010 8:42 pm

The long awaited tune up time is here. after waiting the appropriate time to get my loan, i now have all the parts i need and i will start working on my riviera this week!! Here is a list of what work im putting into it:

PCV valve
Oxygen Sensor
K&N air filter
Oil pan gasket
Oil change with Mobil 1 Clean 5000 and 1 can of V6 engine restore
K&N oil filter
Cooling system Flush and Fill
50/50 Pre-diluted PEAK antifreeze
1 bottle of Wetter Then Water
Fuel filter
Front and Rear brake pads
Front shocks and rear air struts
catalytic converter
tailpipe and rubber hanger
4 tire alignment
wire brush cleaning the spark plugs
and lastly its getting the hand wash and detailing of a lifetime

I still havent spent half of my current loan after getting all the parts. And the labor for the exhaust, front shocks and alignment isnt much. I might consider getting the emergency brake done. If that isnt much, im shootin for the windsheild replacement as well. I'm tired of being blinded from all the knicks and scratches when light shines on it. Im also waitin to get ahold of those pesky door jamb switches. Autozone's vendor doesnt have in the stock even after three months. Ill keep waitin on them if i have to. Oh well, who needs light to get in and out of their car anyways, haha. Well, thats about it. I cant wait to see how much better the ride will be. Hope my gas mileage will go up as well. Feel free to comment. Any suggestions as to some other simple tune up stuff i can do let me know. I have a few extra hundred to play with.
Back to top Go down
robotennis61
Guru
robotennis61

Name : robotennis
Merit : 143

Tune up TIme!!! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tune up TIme!!!   Tune up TIme!!! EmptySun Sep 12, 2010 9:54 pm

dont forget to check and clean/replace your idle air control valve. Good luck.
Back to top Go down
Wolfmaster579
Fanatic
Wolfmaster579

Tune up TIme!!! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tune up TIme!!!   Tune up TIme!!! EmptySun Sep 12, 2010 10:24 pm

never would of thought of that. $63 well spent there i suppose. i just have to make sure i can find it. time to break out the haynes manual.
Back to top Go down
robotennis61
Guru
robotennis61

Name : robotennis
Merit : 143

Tune up TIme!!! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tune up TIme!!!   Tune up TIme!!! EmptySun Sep 12, 2010 10:47 pm

yeah. they get really grimy. after you find it,don't use anything but ,electronic cleaner.I've used brake cleaner and throttle cleaner but it can damage the electrical connections.
Back to top Go down
Rickw
Guru

Name : Rick
Merit : 119

Tune up TIme!!! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tune up TIme!!!   Tune up TIme!!! EmptySun Sep 12, 2010 11:06 pm

For preventive maintenance during a tune up, actually annually I do this along with other things, But I would remove all the coils and wire brush the underside of them and apply a thin coat of dielectric grease (small tube at the auto parts store)
Also while you are there, remove the electrical connector to your Ignition Control Unit and remove the ICU and wire brush the top and bottom surfaces and apply some of the same ignition grease.

NOTE: Before trying to remove the Ignition Control, the plate under the coils, make sure you find the small black ground wire that is coming out of the unit and is bolted to one of the mounting studs that holds the tensioner it is mounted on.
Remove that connector first before breaking the wire.
Clean all these ground connections and apply some dielectric to prevent corrosion.
Back to top Go down
Wolfmaster579
Fanatic
Wolfmaster579

Tune up TIme!!! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tune up TIme!!!   Tune up TIme!!! EmptyMon Sep 13, 2010 7:59 pm

i think i am going to just clean it. my riv idles fine and i havent had anything wrong with it. ill use some rubbing alcohol. i typically use that to clean my electronics.
Back to top Go down
Rickw
Guru

Name : Rick
Merit : 119

Tune up TIme!!! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tune up TIme!!!   Tune up TIme!!! EmptyMon Sep 13, 2010 8:49 pm

Sorry, I was thinking of the 3800 and how the coil packs are installed.
I do not know how the 1988 is set up. I mis-posted on that one.
Back to top Go down
Wolfmaster579
Fanatic
Wolfmaster579

Tune up TIme!!! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tune up TIme!!!   Tune up TIme!!! EmptyMon Sep 13, 2010 9:06 pm

my 88 has a 3800 V6. bu i cant clean the coil pack. it is a completely sealed coil pack for all six plug wires. i tend not to touch the coil pack and igniton module if i am not having trouble with them.
Back to top Go down
Wolfmaster579
Fanatic
Wolfmaster579

Tune up TIme!!! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tune up TIme!!!   Tune up TIme!!! EmptySun Sep 26, 2010 7:27 pm

good news on the car front. took three days in the shop. the rear struts were a bust for my neighbors and i so we had the shop do it. it took them a whole day to get them removed and the new ones installed. course if they would have listened to me when i told them what needed done to remove them faster they would of had it done quicker. stupid mechanics. the car sounds nice now with the exhaust done and rides severely smooth with the new struts and shocks. im almost done with the car. just have to change the oil pan gasket, oil and oil filter. then she gets detailed and washed. cant wait.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Tune up TIme!!! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tune up TIme!!!   Tune up TIme!!! Empty

Back to top Go down

Tune up TIme!!!
Page 1 of 1