Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

Headlight and Interior light Issues

Go down 
+8
BMD
Rickw
AA
Eldo
Abaddon
albertj
robotennis61
Rodman
12 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
AuthorMessage
BMD
Aficionado
BMD

Name : BMD
Merit : 36

Headlight and Interior light Issues - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Headlight and Interior light Issues   Headlight and Interior light Issues - Page 3 EmptyMon Oct 11, 2010 6:47 pm

So that solved your problem Matt? My headlights and interior lights work, its my dash lights and perimeter lights that won't come on. Did you have to use one out of a 96 Riv or did you pull one out of another Buick?
Back to top Go down
L67
Aficionado

Name : Matt
Merit : 37

PostSubject: Re: Headlight and Interior light Issues   Headlight and Interior light Issues - Page 3 EmptyMon Oct 11, 2010 7:08 pm

BMD wrote:
So that solved your problem Matt? My headlights and interior lights work, its my dash lights and perimeter lights that won't come on. Did you have to use one out of a 96 Riv or did you pull one out of another Buick?

My problem wasn't exactly like yours but there are some overlaps between our issues. It did indeed solve my problem, and I got mine from another 1996 Riviera. I believe the module is sensitive to certain model years (i.e. due DRL's appearing in 97-99 among other changes), and I do not believe it is interchangeable with other Buick models. Might be worth running the part number however.
Back to top Go down
BMD
Aficionado
BMD

PostSubject: Re: Headlight and Interior light Issues   Headlight and Interior light Issues - Page 3 EmptyMon Oct 11, 2010 7:11 pm

I wonder if the LCM from other model year Rivs' will work for me because in Canada, DRLs have been standard for many years. I think it was standard on my Riv.
Back to top Go down
L67
Aficionado

PostSubject: Re: Headlight and Interior light Issues   Headlight and Interior light Issues - Page 3 EmptyMon Oct 11, 2010 7:25 pm

BMD wrote:
I wonder if the LCM from other model year Rivs' will work for me because in Canada, DRLs have been standard for many years. I think it was standard on my Riv.

It may very well work, but that was the only change that I know of for sure. There may be other lesser-known internal changes that could cause problems. Like I said the only way to know is to obtain the part number confused
Back to top Go down
Eldo
Expert
Eldo

Name : Mark
Merit : 104

PostSubject: Re: Headlight and Interior light Issues   Headlight and Interior light Issues - Page 3 EmptyTue Oct 12, 2010 1:01 am

BMD wrote:

NO!! (Perhaps we should have a different color for owners of Canadian cars... smile )

BMD, even though it seems we were just talking "aboot" this tongue on another thread only a few days ago, because the Search function on this host is such a picky little shit, I can't find it...

However, we found that the Canadian Rivieras had the same schematic as the American Auroras... They used the low-beam-thru-a-resistor design, instead of the hi-beams-running-in-series-like-the-cooling-fans design.

HEY SCOTT!!! Can you find that damned thread? (He confirmed that it was the same schematic, and wiring colors, and LCM, etc...) Regardless, if you check the Olds side of your FSM you may find that an Aurora can provide a donor module.
Back to top Go down
BMD
Aficionado
BMD

PostSubject: Re: Headlight and Interior light Issues   Headlight and Interior light Issues - Page 3 EmptyTue Oct 12, 2010 1:19 am

Unfortunately, I am not quite as learned as some of you when it comes to studying the FSM, wether it written in English or Canadian lol . Can you guys confirm if the LCM from an Aurora will work because there is no Riv at my nearest pick and pull but there are a couple of Auroras!
Back to top Go down
Eldo
Expert
Eldo

PostSubject: Re: Headlight and Interior light Issues   Headlight and Interior light Issues - Page 3 EmptyTue Oct 12, 2010 1:24 am

Until AA or Abaddon come to the rescue, you could always pull your LCM and take it with you to the wrecking yard...

PS - Is your FSM Amurican or Canadien? wink
Back to top Go down
BMD
Aficionado
BMD

PostSubject: Re: Headlight and Interior light Issues   Headlight and Interior light Issues - Page 3 EmptyTue Oct 12, 2010 1:44 am

Hmmmm, don't have it handy, I assumed the pinkish beige two book FSM was all there was for 96. study
Back to top Go down
Eldo
Expert
Eldo

PostSubject: Re: Headlight and Interior light Issues   Headlight and Interior light Issues - Page 3 EmptyTue Oct 12, 2010 1:51 am

BMD wrote:
Hmmmm, don't have it handy, I assumed the pinkish beige two book FSM was all there was for 96. study

I honestly didn't know, but from what you describe it does sound like the U.S. version...
However, if you look at your resistor and headlight wires, I think you'll find that they match the Aurora schematic.
Back to top Go down
BMD
Aficionado
BMD

PostSubject: temp   Headlight and Interior light Issues - Page 3 EmptyTue Oct 12, 2010 2:03 pm

Thanks for your responses Mark. Do you know if I will I still have the use of the headlights, signal and brake lights if I remove the LCM to bring with me to the salvage yard for comparison?
Back to top Go down
L67
Aficionado

PostSubject: Re: Headlight and Interior light Issues   Headlight and Interior light Issues - Page 3 EmptyTue Oct 12, 2010 2:18 pm

BMD wrote:
Thanks for your responses Mark. Do you know if I will I still have the use of the headlights, signal and brake lights if I remove the LCM to bring with me to the salvage yard for comparison?

I believe the brake and signal lights will still work as I recall driving to the junkyard with the module already uninstalled. Just don't go at night! Can you receive a ticket in Canada for driving without DRLs?
Back to top Go down
BMD
Aficionado
BMD

PostSubject: Re: Headlight and Interior light Issues   Headlight and Interior light Issues - Page 3 EmptyTue Oct 12, 2010 2:20 pm

You bet!!!
Back to top Go down
L67
Aficionado

PostSubject: Re: Headlight and Interior light Issues   Headlight and Interior light Issues - Page 3 EmptyTue Oct 12, 2010 2:21 pm

BMD wrote:
You bet!!!

Maybe the brights will still work lol Thats what I had to do when my LCM initially failed and I was driving home from work at 10 pm...
Back to top Go down
BMD
Aficionado
BMD

PostSubject: Re: Headlight and Interior light Issues   Headlight and Interior light Issues - Page 3 EmptyTue Oct 12, 2010 10:08 pm

Which one is the LCM, the one on the inside of the white plastic ( closest to the brake pedal) or outside, closest to the Fender?
Headlight and Interior light Issues - Page 3 BothBoxes
This is the number on the box closest to the inside!
Headlight and Interior light Issues - Page 3 LCM
Back to top Go down
L67
Aficionado

PostSubject: Re: Headlight and Interior light Issues   Headlight and Interior light Issues - Page 3 EmptyTue Oct 12, 2010 11:40 pm

BMD wrote:
Which one is the LCM, the one on the inside of the white plastic ( closest to the brake pedal) or outside, closest to the Fender?
Headlight and Interior light Issues - Page 3 BothBoxes
This is the number on the box closest to the inside!

It's the inside one. That part number shows up for Auroras too FYI.
Back to top Go down
BMD
Aficionado
BMD

PostSubject: Re: Headlight and Interior light Issues   Headlight and Interior light Issues - Page 3 EmptyWed Oct 13, 2010 12:32 am

Hmmmm, this pic in the FSM looks like its the outside box,
Headlight and Interior light Issues - Page 3 LCMDiagram
but you've done this before so I'll take your word for it happy ! I hope your right about the P/N, because I called five salvage yards around here aswell as Morads, and none have an LCM for a 96 Riv. So I will go pick up one from an Aurora and hope it does the trick!
Back to top Go down
L67
Aficionado

PostSubject: Re: Headlight and Interior light Issues   Headlight and Interior light Issues - Page 3 EmptyWed Oct 13, 2010 1:10 am

BMD wrote:
Hmmmm, this pic in the FSM looks like its the outside box,
Headlight and Interior light Issues - Page 3 LCMDiagram
but you've done this before so I'll take your word for it happy ! I hope your right about the P/N, because I called five salvage yards around here aswell as Morads, and none have an LCM for a 96 Riv. So I will go pick up one from an Aurora and hope it does the trick!

Well I cannot exactly remember which one it is from doing the removal myself (I actually stripped the BCM and LCM from the salvage Riv) so I am kind of mixed up, however when I ran that part number on this site it showed up as the lamp module... http://www.gmpartshouseusa.com/

Mechanical Catalog
Item Number MSRP Core Price Price
25638307 $344.67 $0.00 $255.40
Electrical - Chassis electrical - Headlamps - Sentinel module
Sentinel module, aurora 1996
Add to Cart Contact Us

I really cant remember which side it is though, I do remember studying that picture though.
Back to top Go down
BMD
Aficionado
BMD

PostSubject: Re: Headlight and Interior light Issues   Headlight and Interior light Issues - Page 3 EmptyWed Oct 13, 2010 1:14 am

OK Matt, thanks for all you help, I'll check it out tommorrow!
Back to top Go down
L67
Aficionado

PostSubject: Re: Headlight and Interior light Issues   Headlight and Interior light Issues - Page 3 EmptyWed Oct 13, 2010 1:24 am

I've got it! From the Service Manual....
Headlight and Interior light Issues - Page 3 Lcmp

1. C202
2. Lamp Control Module (LCM)
3. Body Control Module (MALL)
4. Starter Enable Relay

Looks like it is the inside one.

Last edited by L67 on Wed Oct 13, 2010 1:32 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
BMD
Aficionado
BMD

PostSubject: Re: Headlight and Interior light Issues   Headlight and Interior light Issues - Page 3 EmptyWed Oct 13, 2010 1:31 am

What page is that on, I must have missed it?!

Edit: I see its from a 98 FSM!

Last edited by BMD on Wed Oct 13, 2010 1:33 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
L67
Aficionado

PostSubject: Re: Headlight and Interior light Issues   Headlight and Interior light Issues - Page 3 EmptyWed Oct 13, 2010 1:32 am

BMD wrote:

I am not sure I am getting it from online, however it is identical to the picture you posted on the previous page. That picture is taken from the 1998 FSM however but I dont know why they would have switched sides between 1996 and 1998? Sorry I can't get a concrete image for 1996, the LCM repair wont show up when i look up that year.
Back to top Go down
L67
Aficionado

PostSubject: Re: Headlight and Interior light Issues   Headlight and Interior light Issues - Page 3 EmptyWed Oct 13, 2010 1:38 am

BMD wrote:

Edit: I see its from a 98 FSM!

Although its from 1998, it is the same picture you posted before

This came from a 1996 FSM correct?
Back to top Go down
BMD
Aficionado
BMD

PostSubject: Re: Headlight and Interior light Issues   Headlight and Interior light Issues - Page 3 EmptyWed Oct 13, 2010 1:42 am

The pic I posted is from the 96 FSM, but the pic you posted looks like what I see under the dash? confused
Back to top Go down
L67
Aficionado

PostSubject: Re: Headlight and Interior light Issues   Headlight and Interior light Issues - Page 3 EmptyWed Oct 13, 2010 1:44 am

From what I can tell the two FSM pictures we posted are identical (save for labeling style) and indicate that the LCM lies on the inner face of the bracket. When referring to your picture I am talking about the one with yellow highlighting.
Back to top Go down
BMD
Aficionado
BMD

PostSubject: Re: Headlight and Interior light Issues   Headlight and Interior light Issues - Page 3 EmptyWed Oct 13, 2010 1:48 am

The same box labelled LCM in my pic is labelled BCM in your pic.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Headlight and Interior light Issues   Headlight and Interior light Issues - Page 3 Empty

Back to top Go down

Headlight and Interior light Issues
Page 3 of 5Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next