Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

strange road noise

Go down 
+7
Abaddon
Rickw
Hometown Hero
albertj
97 park ave
robotennis61
riv96
11 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Jamax
Enthusiast

Name : Jim Fleck
Merit : 8

strange road noise - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: strange road noise   strange road noise - Page 2 EmptyTue Oct 05, 2010 10:22 pm

Abaddon wrote:
Not sure if this has been mentioned yet, but if you don't rotate your tires regularly, the rears become chopped on the edges because of the toe-in of the rear wheels. The second you rotate them to the front, they hum. Also, the toe-in on the front may be excessive, causing the chopping.

So you're damned if you do and damned if you don't?
Could you get around this by maybe just switching your rear tires from side to side?
Or am I just missing something? (Wouldn't be the first time). strange road noise - Page 2 Noknow
Back to top Go down
robotennis61
Guru
robotennis61

Name : robotennis
Merit : 143

PostSubject: Re: strange road noise   strange road noise - Page 2 EmptyTue Oct 05, 2010 10:26 pm

you can run 0 toe.
Back to top Go down
Eldo
Expert
Eldo

Name : Mark
Merit : 104

PostSubject: Re: strange road noise   strange road noise - Page 2 EmptyTue Oct 05, 2010 11:31 pm

robotennis61 wrote:
you can run 0 toe.

I agree... The '98 spec is 0* +/- 0.2*...
Back to top Go down
Abaddon
Expert
Abaddon

Name : Scott
Merit : 185

PostSubject: Re: strange road noise   strange road noise - Page 2 EmptyTue Oct 05, 2010 11:54 pm

Jamax wrote:
So you're damned if you do and damned if you don't?
Could you get around this by maybe just switching your rear tires from side to side?
Or am I just missing something? (Wouldn't be the first time). strange road noise - Page 2 Noknow

No, I'm saying rotate your tires properly at about 6,000-8,000 mile intervals and that problem won't arise.

OR, get your car a 4 wheel alignment. The proper Alignment specs for the Riv are as follows....

Front Toe 0* +/- .2* (range of -.2 to .2)
Rear Toe .2* +/- .2* (range of 0 to .4)
Front Camber -.2* +/- .5* (range of -.7 to .3)
Rear Camber -.3* +/- .5* (range of -.8 to .2)

If you understand this, you can see that the rear wheels are cambered in farther at the top, and the front of the wheel is pointing towards the center of the car (toe in, or -). This creates a "dragging" effect on the inner edges of the tire. Over time, if not rotated, the rear tires will get a rippled effect on those inner edges. You won't notice this until you rotate them to the front, where the toe-in and camber are less. This now puts those rippled edges on the ground more, hence the "rumbling" or "growling" that arises from the wear.

Now, given that you rotate your tires regularly, this won't happen, as the tires wear evenly. Each tire should see all 4 corners of the car within 24,000 to 32,000 miles (unless you have directional tires). Although, directional tires, IMO, are useless unless you have posi-traction. Almost all cars have a dominant drive wheel. I've seen a hundred FWD cars with directional tires where one side's tire tread depth becomes as far as 4/32" deeper or shallower than the other. You can't rotate side to side, only front to back, unless you want to have the tires dismounted every 10,000 miles and have them "flipped".

If your alignment is off, which is common, especially on the rears, this "normal" tire wear becomes premature. The rear control arm bushings wear out, springs settle, tie rods wear, etc etc. All of these contribute to making the alignment specs more negative (more toe in and - camber). Getting the car aligned can compensate for aging parts, and help save your tires.
Back to top Go down
AA
Administrator
AA

Name : Aaron
Merit : 252

PostSubject: Re: strange road noise   strange road noise - Page 2 EmptyWed Oct 06, 2010 12:48 am

Quote :
Although, directional tires, IMO, are useless unless you have posi-traction. Almost all cars have a dominant drive wheel. I've seen a hundred FWD cars with directional tires where one side's tire tread depth becomes as far as 4/32" deeper or shallower than the other. You can't rotate side to side, only front to back, unless you want to have the tires dismounted every 10,000 miles and have them "flipped".
Not a tire expert, but I've ran 5 sets of directional tires on this car; they are awesome against hydroplaning. Also, most of the better handling (max/ultra performance) tires are directional, so in order to get the high levels of cornering grip, traction, and wet weather performance, I run directionals with good results.

I usually get 35-40k miles out of each set, rotating front to rear (same sides) every 8-10k. Halfway through the life of the set, I have all tires removed from the wheels, and remounted (flipped) to the opposite side of the car. This gives a fresh outside edge all around for the remainder of the set. Tread wear is even all the way out to 40k. As a returning customer, I have never been charged for flipping the tires from one side to the other.

'05 GTO 6.0L • 6-spd • 95k miles • 0-60: 4.8s • 16.9 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:26

'95 Celica GT 2.2L • 5-spd • 165k miles • 0-60: yes

'98 SC Riviera • 281k miles • 298 HP/370 TQ • 0-60: 5.79s • ET: 13.97 @ 99.28 • 4087 lb • 20.1 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:30
3.4" pulley • AL104 plugs • 180º t-stat • FWI w/K&N • 1.9:1 rockers • OR pushrods • LS6 valve springs • SLP headers • ZZP fuel rails
KYB GR2 struts • MaxAir shocks • Addco sway bars • UMI bushings • GM STB • Enkei 18" EV5s w/ Dunlop DZ101s • F-body calipers
EBC bluestuff/Hawk HP plus • SS lines • Brembo slotted discs • DHP tuned • Aeroforce • Hidden Hitch

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown

'70 Ninety-Eight Holiday Coupe 455cid • 116k miles
^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/657082/4
Abaddon
Expert
Abaddon

PostSubject: Re: strange road noise   strange road noise - Page 2 EmptyWed Oct 06, 2010 1:07 am

Directionals are absolutely superior in overall handling. 99% of people FA!L to maintain them the right way. Most buy them because the salesman recommended them.

You, my friend, are a rare breed strange road noise - Page 2 Icon_win
Back to top Go down
riv96
Amateur
riv96

Name : Timm Hoffman
Merit : 0

PostSubject: Re: strange road noise   strange road noise - Page 2 EmptyWed Oct 06, 2010 3:23 pm

Abaddon wrote:
Not sure if this has been mentioned yet, but if you don't rotate your tires regularly, the rears become chopped on the edges because of the toe-in of the rear wheels. The second you rotate them to the front, they hum. Also, the toe-in on the front may be excessive, causing the chopping.
that is exactly what happened i think. when i bought the car the first thing i noticed is that the tires look like they havent ever been rotated. about the second day i bought it i pulled the car into work after hours and did a rotate and balance! i didnt even think to mention it earlier but i bet it has a lot to do with the noise as well.
Back to top Go down
Abaddon
Expert
Abaddon

PostSubject: Re: strange road noise   strange road noise - Page 2 EmptyWed Oct 06, 2010 3:26 pm

That's probably exactly where the noise started. When you run your hand along the inner edge of the tread, does it feel like it's "lumpy"? If it is, lack of rotation or alignment issues is where the uneven wear came from, and that's the source of the noise.
Back to top Go down
riv96
Amateur
riv96

Name : Timm Hoffman
Merit : 0

PostSubject: Re: strange road noise   strange road noise - Page 2 EmptyWed Oct 06, 2010 3:49 pm

Abaddon wrote:
That's probably exactly where the noise started. When you run your hand along the inner edge of the tread, does it feel like it's "lumpy"? If it is, lack of rotation or alignment issues is where the uneven wear came from, and that's the source of the noise.
just went out to my car and checked. that seems to be the case. when i have the money i will be buying some new tires
Back to top Go down
Abaddon
Expert
Abaddon

PostSubject: Re: strange road noise   strange road noise - Page 2 EmptyWed Oct 06, 2010 3:54 pm

Eh, it's more annoying than anything. I put 4 tires that were severly chopped on my car. I got them for free. offtopic In order to certify used cars, the tires had to match, and be "chop free". Tons of lease turn-ins never had the tires rotated. So when I had to replace 'em, I'd keep the "like new" tires from the rear and just dealt with the noise. Eventually it will go away. They just need to "break in" to the front end. It really has no adverse effects except for the noise.....
Back to top Go down
VJD2
Fanatic
VJD2

Name : Vinny
Merit : 5

PostSubject: Re: strange road noise   strange road noise - Page 2 EmptyFri Oct 08, 2010 12:50 am

I just replaced my drivers side front wheel bearing and the same shit is happening to me! I bought a brand new Timken and installed it today.

Went for a ride and the damn thing sounds louder than the old one! I'm hoping its the tires/alignment like suggested here. I also installed Eibachs and new struts today. The noise will go away around 50mph.

Doing the work and having it sound worse grinds my gears!
Back to top Go down
AA
Administrator
AA

Name : Aaron
Merit : 252

PostSubject: Re: strange road noise   strange road noise - Page 2 EmptyFri Oct 08, 2010 9:19 am

Get a front/rear alignment ASAP!

'05 GTO 6.0L • 6-spd • 95k miles • 0-60: 4.8s • 16.9 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:26

'95 Celica GT 2.2L • 5-spd • 165k miles • 0-60: yes

'98 SC Riviera • 281k miles • 298 HP/370 TQ • 0-60: 5.79s • ET: 13.97 @ 99.28 • 4087 lb • 20.1 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:30
3.4" pulley • AL104 plugs • 180º t-stat • FWI w/K&N • 1.9:1 rockers • OR pushrods • LS6 valve springs • SLP headers • ZZP fuel rails
KYB GR2 struts • MaxAir shocks • Addco sway bars • UMI bushings • GM STB • Enkei 18" EV5s w/ Dunlop DZ101s • F-body calipers
EBC bluestuff/Hawk HP plus • SS lines • Brembo slotted discs • DHP tuned • Aeroforce • Hidden Hitch

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown

'70 Ninety-Eight Holiday Coupe 455cid • 116k miles
^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/657082/4
VJD2
Fanatic
VJD2

PostSubject: Re: strange road noise   strange road noise - Page 2 EmptyFri Oct 08, 2010 12:23 pm

Ya I know, I've got it scheduled for tomorrow!
Back to top Go down
97 park ave
Addict
97 park ave

Name : Tyler
Merit : 21

PostSubject: Re: strange road noise   strange road noise - Page 2 EmptyFri Oct 08, 2010 11:44 pm

VJD2 wrote:
I also installed Eibachs and new struts today.

lets see it! twisted
Back to top Go down
VJD2
Fanatic
VJD2

PostSubject: Re: strange road noise   strange road noise - Page 2 EmptySat Oct 09, 2010 9:54 am

If I get home before it gets dark tonight I'll snap some pictures. Plus she is a little dirty right now so I'd be embarrassed at her appearance.

I'll get some up soon though. Install went sooo smooth!
Back to top Go down
Eldo
Expert
Eldo

Name : Mark
Merit : 104

PostSubject: Re: strange road noise   strange road noise - Page 2 EmptySat Oct 09, 2010 3:36 pm

VJD2 wrote:

Doing the work and having it sound worse grinds my gears!

Not to mention your bearings... lmfao

(I'm so bad....)
Back to top Go down
97 park ave
Addict
97 park ave

Name : Tyler
Merit : 21

PostSubject: Re: strange road noise   strange road noise - Page 2 EmptySat Oct 09, 2010 6:43 pm

VJD2 wrote:
If I get home before it gets dark tonight I'll snap some pictures. Plus she is a little dirty right now so I'd be embarrassed at her appearance.

I'll get some up soon though. Install went sooo smooth!

do you have before and after pics? im really considering these springs cause i just got paid and i think your car might make me want to get them even more.

EDIT: what struts did you end up going with VJD2?
Back to top Go down
Jamax
Enthusiast

Name : Jim Fleck
Merit : 8

PostSubject: Reply to Scott   strange road noise - Page 2 EmptyWed Oct 13, 2010 12:50 pm

Thanks, Scott, that's the sort of information I need. After 22 years of tooling around in a 1983 S-10 (light weight, low powered [2.8], neutral steering) I haven't given much thought to this situation because it wasn't necessary. Tire wear isn't a problem even though I don't bother rotating the tires. And my Riv, on which I've put 6 miles in the 5 months I've owned it, is still in the process of being rebuilt. But it'll get a good set of tires on the original rims. I'm still not sure, but I'm thinking Goodyears and, now that I've seen Aaron's comments and your answer to him, probably directionals. Last time I was seriously concerned about it was when I had my '53 Buick Special V-8. Considering what I did with that car, if I hadn't put firstrate tires on it, and devoted myself to taking care of them, I almost certainly wouldn't be here now.
Incidentally, I apologize for not acknowledging your kind answer until now. I've been out of town sans computer for over a week.
Back to top Go down
Abaddon
Expert
Abaddon

PostSubject: Re: strange road noise   strange road noise - Page 2 EmptyThu Oct 14, 2010 3:29 pm

Jamax wrote:
Thanks, Scott, that's the sort of information I need. After 22 years of tooling around in a 1983 S-10 (light weight, low powered [2.8], neutral steering) I haven't given much thought to this situation because it wasn't necessary. Tire wear isn't a problem even though I don't bother rotating the tires. And my Riv, on which I've put 6 miles in the 5 months I've owned it, is still in the process of being rebuilt. But it'll get a good set of tires on the original rims. I'm still not sure, but I'm thinking Goodyears and, now that I've seen Aaron's comments and your answer to him, probably directionals. Last time I was seriously concerned about it was when I had my '53 Buick Special V-8. Considering what I did with that car, if I hadn't put firstrate tires on it, and devoted myself to taking care of them, I almost certainly wouldn't be here now.
Incidentally, I apologize for not acknowledging your kind answer until now. I've been out of town sans computer for over a week.

thumbsup No prob man. Wish I could go out of town frown
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: strange road noise   strange road noise - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

strange road noise
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2