Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

stock 1998 buick riviera trunk photos?

Go down 
+6
robotennis61
99Rivman
albertj
krazyfish
Abaddon
VegasScott
10 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
VegasScott
Enthusiast
VegasScott

Name : Scott
Merit : 8

stock 1998 buick riviera trunk photos? Empty
PostSubject: stock 1998 buick riviera trunk photos?   stock 1998 buick riviera trunk photos? EmptySat Dec 25, 2010 7:16 pm

Does anybody have a photo or two of what the stock trunk should look like on a 1998 Riviera?

My new (old) car has all the trunk carpet and spare tire, but there are some studs sticking up on the left side of the trunk and there was obviously something there from the factory, but I'm not sure what. Do any of you have a photo of what is supposed to be there?

Thanks!
VegasScott
Back to top Go down
http://www.german-pride.com
Abaddon
Expert
Abaddon

Merit : 185

PostSubject: Re: stock 1998 buick riviera trunk photos?   stock 1998 buick riviera trunk photos? EmptySat Dec 25, 2010 9:41 pm

Hmmmm. If all the carpet and what-not is in place, the studs are sticking through the carpet?? If this is the case, it's not factory and it doesn't belong.
Back to top Go down
krazyfish
Enthusiast

Name : Jerred
Merit : 4

PostSubject: Re: stock 1998 buick riviera trunk photos?   stock 1998 buick riviera trunk photos? EmptySat Dec 25, 2010 10:42 pm

Unless it is the place where Nuts holding the carpet go, the plastic ones with the little hooks for the cargo net. That is my guess
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :
Merit : 181

PostSubject: Re: stock 1998 buick riviera trunk photos?   stock 1998 buick riviera trunk photos? EmptySat Dec 25, 2010 11:21 pm

VegasScott wrote:
Does anybody have a photo or two of what the stock trunk should look like on a 1998 Riviera?

My new (old) car has all the trunk carpet and spare tire, but there are some studs sticking up on the left side of the trunk and there was obviously something there from the factory, but I'm not sure what. Do any of you have a photo of what is supposed to be there?

Thanks!
VegasScott

There are small studs on left and on right, on the floor, over which plastic cap with plastic hooks for the cargo net go, they screw on.

There are identical plastic caps used to hold the tail light assembly on, on the outer ends of it, on right and left. Under the carpet and trunk lip guard (the gray plastic sill on the back) the taillight is affixed with four screw caps.

They really should not be missing, but some folks (body shop help, some mechanics) think it is blood sport to see how many of those things they can keep when they R&R a trunk liner or whatever. As it is, they are used in a lot of GM cars and what you can do is go to a nearby pick - n - pull and raid the various GM cars of similar vintage (late 90s) for the caps and cap-hooks. I think they are also still available from the dealer. The dealer's parts department will also be able to print an 'explosion' (s diagram) that shows the caps and cap-hooks and where they go in the trunk, if you decide to go there to get some.

While you have the trunkliner out, consider installing some sound deadening on the drummy areas in the trunk pan, like the bottom of the spare tire well and the flats over the rear axle, the wheel housings, and behind rear wheels.

Albertj

Last edited by albertj on Sun Dec 26, 2010 8:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
99Rivman
Aficionado
99Rivman

Name : Randall
Merit : 90

PostSubject: Re: stock 1998 buick riviera trunk photos?   stock 1998 buick riviera trunk photos? EmptySun Dec 26, 2010 8:05 pm

It took a couple of days but here are the pictures you requested.

This is a ’95 trunk but I believe the only differences from this to the ‘98&’99 is that the spare tire cover screws down on this one. I don’t know exactly when the change was made but I am pretty sure everything about the trunk is the same from ’95-’99 except the cover. Wherever the hooks are there is a stud sticking through the carpet.

Looking forward:

stock 1998 buick riviera trunk photos? 18110

Left front corner:

stock 1998 buick riviera trunk photos? 17910

Right front corner:

stock 1998 buick riviera trunk photos? 18010

Left rear corner:

stock 1998 buick riviera trunk photos? 18210

Right rear corner:

stock 1998 buick riviera trunk photos? 18310

Close ups of the hooks for the cargo net:

stock 1998 buick riviera trunk photos? 18410

stock 1998 buick riviera trunk photos? 18510

stock 1998 buick riviera trunk photos? 18810

Hope this is what you were looking for
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/id/99Rivman
robotennis61
Guru
robotennis61

Name : robotennis
Merit : 143

PostSubject: Re: stock 1998 buick riviera trunk photos?   stock 1998 buick riviera trunk photos? EmptySun Dec 26, 2010 8:22 pm

you're just too nice Randall
Back to top Go down
VegasScott
Enthusiast
VegasScott

PostSubject: Re: stock 1998 buick riviera trunk photos?   stock 1998 buick riviera trunk photos? EmptyMon Dec 27, 2010 2:05 am

Thank you very much Randall! That is EXACTLY what I was looking for.

So is the jack stored in the spare tire well, in addition to the spare tire?

Sincerest Thanks!
VegasScott
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :
Merit : 181

PostSubject: Re: stock 1998 buick riviera trunk photos?   stock 1998 buick riviera trunk photos? EmptyMon Dec 27, 2010 10:00 am

VegasScott wrote:
Thank you very much Randall! That is EXACTLY what I was looking for.

So is the jack stored in the spare tire well, in addition to the spare tire?

Sincerest Thanks!
VegasScott

yes the jack goes in the spare well; there may be a decal on the underside of the spare tire cover that shows how it goes in. If the spare tire cover was replaced odds are that decal is missing, along with the "build" decal that shows what the car's options are (this can become a problem).

A very easy way to fix this is to go to a "full service" junk yard (not a pick and pull) and ask them to sell you the parts to equip the well. The arrangement in the Riv (a plastic bucket, collapsing lug wrench, etc.) was used in several BOC (Buick Olds Cadillac) models. Odds are that one of the yard hands (the people that actually pull the parts) can take a glance and get the parts you need, and odds are they won't charge you more than $20 cash or so for all of it (remember, virtually every car comes with the jack and spare equipment, there are not many reasons for it to be gone and the f/s junkyards have lots of the things; pick and pulls tend not to for various reasons).

What do you have in the spare tire well?

Albertj
Back to top Go down
VegasScott
Enthusiast
VegasScott

PostSubject: Re: stock 1998 buick riviera trunk photos?   stock 1998 buick riviera trunk photos? EmptyMon Dec 27, 2010 8:35 pm

To be perfectly honest, I haven't really looked that closely at it. When I went to buy the car, I checked to see if the car had a spare and if it was in decent condition. I've had my nose burried in the front end of the car to do maintenance. I'll attack the rear this coming weekend.

Thanks guys!

VegasScott
Back to top Go down
Eldo
Expert
Eldo

Name : Mark
Merit : 104

PostSubject: Re: stock 1998 buick riviera trunk photos?   stock 1998 buick riviera trunk photos? EmptyMon Dec 27, 2010 10:49 pm

Here's the plastic bucket that Albert referred to.

Ignore the jumper cables wrapped around the spare, as well as the 'extra' socket wrench I have in there for my locking lug nuts...
(I was working in dim light, and could barely get one flash out of the batteries left in the camera confused )

Oh, it does also show where the factory stowage stickers should be...

stock 1998 buick riviera trunk photos? 5298481811_db33855eec_b
Back to top Go down
VegasScott
Enthusiast
VegasScott

PostSubject: Re: stock 1998 buick riviera trunk photos?   stock 1998 buick riviera trunk photos? EmptyTue Dec 28, 2010 1:09 am

Wow! That thing looks pretty slick! I'm definitely going to hunt the local yards for that set up! Its nice and compact and organized. I can't wait to get back to vegas to work on my car! I love spending time with family, but the constant overcast, wet, cold, dreary weather of oregon is killing me! happy

Thanks for posting up the picture!

VegasScott
Back to top Go down
Eldo
Expert
Eldo

PostSubject: Re: stock 1998 buick riviera trunk photos?   stock 1998 buick riviera trunk photos? EmptyTue Dec 28, 2010 2:41 am

You're welcome. And the constant overcast, wet, cold, dreary weather of California is just as bad as Oregon this season... sad
Back to top Go down
Sweepspear
Fanatic
Sweepspear

Name : Dale
Merit : 11

PostSubject: Re: stock 1998 buick riviera trunk photos?   stock 1998 buick riviera trunk photos? EmptyTue Dec 28, 2010 1:15 pm

Eldo wrote:
Ignore the jumper cables wrapped around the spare

I gave you props thumbsup for carrying jumper cables even though you live in a warm climate!
(Well, warmer than it is here this time of year.) sunny

hi
Back to top Go down
Eldo
Expert
Eldo

PostSubject: Re: stock 1998 buick riviera trunk photos?   stock 1998 buick riviera trunk photos? EmptyTue Dec 28, 2010 3:36 pm

Thank you, Dale - would you believe I was never even a Boy Scout? jump
Back to top Go down
Jack the R
Master
Jack the R

Merit : 105

PostSubject: Re: stock 1998 buick riviera trunk photos?   stock 1998 buick riviera trunk photos? EmptyTue Dec 28, 2010 3:38 pm

albertj wrote:

They really should not be missing, but some folks (body shop help, some mechanics) think it is blood sport to see how many of those things they can keep when they R&R a trunk liner or whatever.

I'd ask if you're joking but that's so stupid it has to be true.
Back to top Go down
sburch23
Addict
sburch23

Merit : 14

PostSubject: Re: stock 1998 buick riviera trunk photos?   stock 1998 buick riviera trunk photos? EmptyTue Dec 28, 2010 8:08 pm

It is also a good idea to keep Fix-A-Flat or something like in there as well.
Back to top Go down
Eldo
Expert
Eldo

PostSubject: Re: stock 1998 buick riviera trunk photos?   stock 1998 buick riviera trunk photos? EmptyTue Dec 28, 2010 8:11 pm

Excellent point! Who wants to actually USE the spare tire, it's too much pain...
( And it wears the nubbies off lmao )
Back to top Go down
robotennis61
Guru
robotennis61

PostSubject: Re: stock 1998 buick riviera trunk photos?   stock 1998 buick riviera trunk photos? EmptyTue Dec 28, 2010 8:16 pm

Eldo wrote:
Excellent point! Who wants to actually USE the spare tire, it's too much pain...

that's pretty interesting! I've often thought to myself "man,i hope i don't have to use my spare,the factory nubs will wear off and i kinda like em" I'm being totally serious!
Back to top Go down
Eldo
Expert
Eldo

PostSubject: Re: stock 1998 buick riviera trunk photos?   stock 1998 buick riviera trunk photos? EmptyTue Dec 28, 2010 8:23 pm

robotennis61 wrote:
Eldo wrote:

that's pretty interesting! I've often thought to myself "man,i hope i don't have to use my spare,the factory nubs will wear off and i kinda like em" I'm being totally serious!

rotf So was I!
Hey, you've seen my interior and under my hood... Can you say "anal retentive"?
Back to top Go down
VegasScott
Enthusiast
VegasScott

PostSubject: Re: stock 1998 buick riviera trunk photos?   stock 1998 buick riviera trunk photos? EmptyTue Dec 28, 2010 9:54 pm

I don't recommend fix a flat or that slime type product. As someone who has restored or revived many old cars, I hate that stuff! Take a look at how bad that stuff attacks aluminum wheels. Its a freakin mess! I'm sure we'd all use it in a pinch, but Id rather carry my flat tire to the nearest tire center than put that crap inside. Now on the long strip to and from LA to Vegas on the 15, that's just not possible. So, id use it then and pump up the tire and move along.

Some of you guys are rolling on rims that are probably worth more than your car. Do yourself a favor and don't put this stuff in there!

Since this thread is turning into a "what do you carry in your trunk for emergencies?" type post, I'll share my newest fun tool. I bought an awesome tool at costco for only $65. Its a battery jumper, tester, work light, and air compressor all in one! It's all in one neat little package and stowes nicely to to the side of the trunk. I'm on my phone, or else id post a link to it on costco.com.

VegasScott
Back to top Go down
Eldo
Expert
Eldo

PostSubject: Re: stock 1998 buick riviera trunk photos?   stock 1998 buick riviera trunk photos? EmptyTue Dec 28, 2010 10:09 pm

Oh... I didn't know that the fix-a-flat stuff hurt the wheels.
Come to think of it, I used it on the aluminum wheels on my Eldorado - but admittedly I didn't just keep running on it... I replaced or repaired the tire as soon as possible.

And if the thread is turning as you say, I'll point out to others that I put baggies over the ends of the jumper cables to prevent staining of anything... lol
Back to top Go down
robotennis61
Guru
robotennis61

PostSubject: Re: stock 1998 buick riviera trunk photos?   stock 1998 buick riviera trunk photos? EmptyTue Dec 28, 2010 10:21 pm

Eldo wrote: "And if the thread is turning as you say, I'll point out to others that I put baggies over the ends of the jumper cables to prevent staining of anything..."

thats just going too far.... twak
Back to top Go down
Sweepspear
Fanatic
Sweepspear

Name : Dale
Merit : 11

PostSubject: Re: stock 1998 buick riviera trunk photos?   stock 1998 buick riviera trunk photos? EmptyWed Dec 29, 2010 10:01 am

Eldo wrote:
Thank you, Dale - would you believe I was never even a Boy Scout? jump

Neither was I.

I have always put a pair in all my cars over the years. Used to carry a can of starting fluid too during the winter months back in the day.
I can't say I have used them more than just a few times to start my own cars, but have come to the rescue of many, many others.
Back to top Go down
VegasScott
Enthusiast
VegasScott

PostSubject: Re: stock 1998 buick riviera trunk photos?   stock 1998 buick riviera trunk photos? EmptyWed Dec 29, 2010 1:27 pm

Spoken like a fellow carbureated man. I've done a lot of that myself!

VegasScott
Back to top Go down
99Rivman
Aficionado
99Rivman

Name : Randall
Merit : 90

PostSubject: Re: stock 1998 buick riviera trunk photos?   stock 1998 buick riviera trunk photos? EmptyWed Dec 29, 2010 6:31 pm

I thought I would mention … be sure to get the proper equipment that fits into your plastic tub, I know for a fact that the jack and accessories from a ’95 will NOT fit into the tub in a ’96. I’m not sure what the differences are from year to year but if you want it all to fit properly be sure you either get the right stuff or can exchange it if it doesn’t fit.
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/id/99Rivman
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: stock 1998 buick riviera trunk photos?   stock 1998 buick riviera trunk photos? Empty

Back to top Go down

stock 1998 buick riviera trunk photos?
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Riv Performance ::   General Tech :: Interior-
Jump to: