Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

another project

Go down 
+11
stan
albertj
BMD
Hometown Hero
IBx1
robotennis61
turtleman
AA
Jack the R
crlombardi69
sqrivi
15 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
sqrivi
Fanatic

Name : scott
Merit : 52

another project Empty
PostSubject: another project   another project EmptySun Jan 23, 2011 3:59 pm

Here is a project that has been taking up most of my extra time. This speaker has had several revisions, but this is the final design. This is a very high-end open baffle "hybrid" two-way design. Open baffle part is an 8" fullrange driver, there is also a 12" sub in a sealed down firing cabinet. The sonic characteristics of this design, after alot of experimenting and modeling, is incredible. The sound stage is massive. Much wider and deeper than the speakers are placed. The stage is also very focused and dimensional. It has layered depth like very few systems I have ever heard. These speakers make the room itself disappear. I have heard many people describe a speakers sound by saying "it brings the performance into your room". The difference with these speakers is it sounds more like taking you to the performance. If the venue is huge then the room sounds huge. If the recording is in a small studio, then the room sounds small. Also if you close your eyes you couldn't point out the speakers locations if you had to. After all that is the point, for all the gear to disappear and leave only the music.

I'm sorry to ramble on, but I am extremely excited about this project.

Here is a 3D model of the finished product.

another project Bossetowerlineand3d

Onto the construction.

A pile of CNC cut parts to be assembled.
another project Photo

First the sub. It is made up of 3/4"MDF layers. The wall thickness of the cabinet ranges from 1"-3 1/2" thick. Very STOUT.

Now for gluing, stacking, and clamping......

another project Photo-1

another project Photo-4

Here is the sub cabinet.....minus the two layers that will make up the top.

another project Photo-3

Same process for the tower.

another project Photo-2

Here is one sub and one tower glued together and ready for sanding then fiberglass.

another project Photo-5

Here with the insert in place. The insert will eventually have an exotic veneer applied.

another project Photo-12

Now for the sanding......

another project Photo-7

another project Photo-8

And some fiberglass.

another project Photo-14

another project Photo-19

another project Photo-10

Next is some filler to make sure these are smoooooooth. After all they are going to be painted a high gloss black.

another project IMG_0537

Starting to get a flat surface.

another project Photo-11

Here is the fit on the insert.

another project Photo-15

another project Photo-17

And the sub insert.

Here is a close-up shot of the Bosse veneers grain.

another project PA090201

Applying the veneer.

tower.....

another project Photo-9

sub......

another project Photo-13

Here are the pieces trimmed and ready for a lot of clear to get a mirror finish.

another project IMG_0543

another project IMG_0545

another project Photo-18

Finally attached the base for the tower.

another project IMG_0535

another project IMG_0536

Here is the base for the sub cabinet. It has an extra "ring" to allow more room for the sub to load on the floor. Both the sub and the tower have spikes as well.

another project Photo-16

Here is one sub/tower ready for paint. The other soon to follow.

another project IMG_0538

Notice the sub doesn't contact the tower anywhere. This is to prevent any vibration that the sub cabinet might have from being transmitted to the tower.

another project IMG_0539

another project IMG_0540

Back to top Go down
crlombardi69
Enthusiast

Name : Chris L
Merit : 5

another project Empty
PostSubject: Re: another project   another project EmptySun Jan 23, 2011 4:24 pm

That is some serious audio design and manufacturing there. I'm very intrigued by the design and construction of those units. Are you an employee or owner of this company? Either way I'm blown away by them!
Back to top Go down
http://crlombardi69@yahoo.com
Jack the R
Master
Jack the R

Merit : 105

another project Empty
PostSubject: Re: another project   another project EmptySun Jan 23, 2011 4:29 pm

Daaaaamn dude!

Where are you going with this? Trying to get it manufactured? Not sure posting it on the internet is a good idea. I'm on an RC forum, and there's been a couple times where a guy has come up with a cool new idea, only to see the Chinese nab it and have it in production a few months later. Bad people are watching.
Back to top Go down
sqrivi
Fanatic

another project Empty
PostSubject: Re: another project   another project EmptySun Jan 23, 2011 5:04 pm

It would be difficult to copy. Angles, dimensions, driver mods, x-over design and components are all critical with this design. You can't just slap any fullrange with any sub using whatever xover is laying around and get positive results. We are already on the path of production though. This is just the first "finished" proof of concept and finish sample.
Once everything is in place I will spill the beans on the details.
Back to top Go down
AA
Administrator
AA

Name : Aaron
Merit : 251

another project Empty
PostSubject: Re: another project   another project EmptySun Jan 23, 2011 9:45 pm

Nice work. Crossover ~220Hz?

'05 GTO 6.0L • 6-spd • 95k miles • 0-60: 4.8s • 16.9 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:26

'95 Celica GT 2.2L • 5-spd • 165k miles • 0-60: yes

'98 SC Riviera • 281k miles • 298 HP/370 TQ • 0-60: 5.79s • ET: 13.97 @ 99.28 • 4087 lb • 20.1 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:30
3.4" pulley • AL104 plugs • 180º t-stat • FWI w/K&N • 1.9:1 rockers • OR pushrods • LS6 valve springs • SLP headers • ZZP fuel rails
KYB GR2 struts • MaxAir shocks • Addco sway bars • UMI bushings • GM STB • Enkei 18" EV5s w/ Dunlop DZ101s • F-body calipers
EBC bluestuff/Hawk HP plus • SS lines • Brembo slotted discs • DHP tuned • Aeroforce • Hidden Hitch

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown

'70 Ninety-Eight Holiday Coupe 455cid • 116k miles
^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/657082/4
turtleman
Expert
turtleman

Name : Codith
Merit : 140

another project Empty
PostSubject: Re: another project   another project EmptySun Jan 23, 2011 10:33 pm

This is f**king awesome - wow
Back to top Go down
robotennis61
Guru
robotennis61

Name : robotennis
Merit : 143

another project Empty
PostSubject: Re: another project   another project EmptySun Jan 23, 2011 11:53 pm

Wow! I am speechless. the amount of work that i see is mind bending.I hope you have a bunch of little helpers...
Back to top Go down
IBx1
Expert
IBx1

Name : ILAN
Merit : 69

another project Empty
PostSubject: Re: another project   another project EmptyMon Jan 24, 2011 7:19 am

Holy shit dude, you must be a sound engineer or something! From your description of the performance, these look as good as they sound!
Back to top Go down
Hometown Hero
Junkie
Hometown Hero

Name : Klix
Merit : 16

another project Empty
PostSubject: Re: another project   another project EmptyMon Jan 24, 2011 2:22 pm

I think I just came! clap
Back to top Go down
BMD
Aficionado
BMD

Name : BMD
Merit : 36

another project Empty
PostSubject: Re: another project   another project EmptyMon Jan 24, 2011 3:55 pm

Fantastic work scott, you are obviously a very talented guy. Your creations are beautiful, can't wait to see the interior of the Riv!
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :
Merit : 180

another project Empty
PostSubject: Re: another project   another project EmptyMon Jan 24, 2011 4:49 pm

Very nice

May I ask how you did the math modeling of the speaker performance, how you decided how tall to make the tubes, and how you decided on MDF versus say a hybrid stack of alternatign MDF/homasote layers?

Thanks

Albertj
Back to top Go down
sqrivi
Fanatic

another project Empty
PostSubject: Re: another project   another project EmptySun Jan 30, 2011 11:37 am

Here is one of the speaker mods I don't mind showing, simply because it will be visible in the finished product.

This is a "guide" if you will, for the rear of the speaker to help stabilize the energy emitting from the back of the cone. In this type of design the sound coming from the back of the speaker is just as important as the sound coming from the front. This will help reduce distortion especially in higher frequencies and in turn gain clarity, accuracy, and transparency.

This is just roughed in. It will be painted along with the rest of the speaker. Once in production this piece will be made of aluminum.

another project Photo-21

another project Photo-23

another project Photo-20

another project Photo-24

another project Photo-22

Back to top Go down
stan
Expert

Merit : 12

another project Empty
PostSubject: Re: another project   another project EmptySun Jan 30, 2011 3:47 pm

,,,and this is how everything on this planet should be designed.With lots of thought and passion.
Well done.
Back to top Go down
sqrivi
Fanatic

another project Empty
PostSubject: Re: another project   another project EmptySun Nov 06, 2011 11:06 am

well, it's been a while but I will be delivering these to the painter this week. We are going to do some samples first to make sure of the colors and finish. I think I have decided to go mirror high gloss finish on the wood inserts and black with a satin finish on everything else. I will post more pics as things progress.
Back to top Go down
robotennis61
Guru
robotennis61

another project Empty
PostSubject: Re: another project   another project EmptySun Nov 06, 2011 11:32 am

beautiful work.
Back to top Go down
stan
Expert

Merit : 12

another project Empty
PostSubject: Re: another project   another project EmptySun Nov 06, 2011 2:53 pm

scott,that's it,i am sending you tomorrow my dash to fiberglass it and look just like that picture,like a piano.I love it.Seriously bro,if a dashboard gets a few layers of fiberglass probably will stay and look pro.
Awesome work!
Back to top Go down
sburch23
Addict
sburch23

Name : Scott
Merit : 14

another project Empty
PostSubject: Re: another project   another project EmptyWed Nov 16, 2011 8:36 pm

I would think that the "open" design of the full range would make it very efficient compared to a sealed box. Is that correct.
Back to top Go down
sqrivi
Fanatic

another project Empty
PostSubject: Re: another project   another project EmptySun Nov 20, 2011 9:17 am

Yes. This set up is very efficient and dynamic. Most or our testing was done on a 25 watt per channel amplifier and that was plenty of power to make it uncomfortably loud.
Back to top Go down
sqrivi
Fanatic

another project Empty
PostSubject: Re: another project   another project EmptyThu Nov 24, 2011 10:32 am

I decided to take things a step further. While the speakers are getting painted I will be building an amplifier for them. I bought a "class D audio" amp kit a while back and have never put it together. figured this would be the perfect application for it. The chassis will be made of aluminum. Here are a couple of pics of the wood mockup I made first in order to get the look and dimensions right.......plus wood is cheaper to experiment with than aluminum. There will be two amplifiers, one for each speaker.

another project IMG_0350

another project IMG_0349

another project IMG_0351

Back to top Go down
robotennis61
Guru
robotennis61

another project Empty
PostSubject: Re: another project   another project EmptyThu Nov 24, 2011 11:59 am

Sqrivi my man,you got some interesting stuff going on over there!
Back to top Go down
sqrivi
Fanatic

another project Empty
PostSubject: Re: another project   another project EmptyFri Apr 06, 2012 7:02 pm

I know its been a bit, but the parts are finally being painted. I should have them back in a week or two. I'll post pics of the paint progress.
Back to top Go down
ghpcnm
Aficionado
ghpcnm

Name : Dave
Merit : 23

another project Empty
PostSubject: Re: another project   another project EmptyFri Apr 06, 2012 8:26 pm

sqrivi wrote:
I know its been a bit, but the parts are finally being painted. I should have them back in a week or two. I'll post pics of the paint progress.
You mean to tell me you don't paint ?!?!? Damn, I thought you could do might near anything !!! smile
Back to top Go down
http://www.americantorque.com/page/0/1189/
sqrivi
Fanatic

another project Empty
PostSubject: Re: another project   another project EmptySun Apr 15, 2012 11:49 am

outboard xovers.

another project Xover003

another project Xover002
Back to top Go down
sqrivi
Fanatic

another project Empty
PostSubject: Re: another project   another project EmptyTue Apr 17, 2012 1:34 pm

First coat of filler primer. They are looking very smooth. Now for some blocking, another coat of primer, then some paint.

another project IMG_0554

another project IMG_0555

another project IMG_0556
Back to top Go down
AA
Administrator
AA

Name : Aaron
Merit : 251

another project Empty
PostSubject: Re: another project   another project EmptyTue Apr 17, 2012 2:02 pm

Those caps and coils are purdy. Surprised you're not using active filtering and separate channels for each driver.

'05 GTO 6.0L • 6-spd • 95k miles • 0-60: 4.8s • 16.9 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:26

'95 Celica GT 2.2L • 5-spd • 165k miles • 0-60: yes

'98 SC Riviera • 281k miles • 298 HP/370 TQ • 0-60: 5.79s • ET: 13.97 @ 99.28 • 4087 lb • 20.1 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:30
3.4" pulley • AL104 plugs • 180º t-stat • FWI w/K&N • 1.9:1 rockers • OR pushrods • LS6 valve springs • SLP headers • ZZP fuel rails
KYB GR2 struts • MaxAir shocks • Addco sway bars • UMI bushings • GM STB • Enkei 18" EV5s w/ Dunlop DZ101s • F-body calipers
EBC bluestuff/Hawk HP plus • SS lines • Brembo slotted discs • DHP tuned • Aeroforce • Hidden Hitch

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown

'70 Ninety-Eight Holiday Coupe 455cid • 116k miles
^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/657082/4
Sponsored content

another project Empty
PostSubject: Re: another project   another project Empty

Back to top Go down

another project
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next