Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

Aftermarket trim with underlighting?

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
wee-one
wee-one

Name : Randy
Merit : 3

Aftermarket trim with underlighting? Empty
PostSubject: Aftermarket trim with underlighting?   Aftermarket trim with underlighting? EmptyThu Mar 17, 2011 12:59 am

So... I was browsing on eBay and found a Guy selling those sticky replacement panels for the dash. Shifter. Stereo.and doors.... u know what I mean... basically to replace every trim piece or rather stick onto...

Well.... I have red interior and Pearl white paint and was thinking..... how cool would it be if I got the white ones and stuck some red led light strips under it!

I mean... it says the backing on the trim kit is red mounting tape... and I know the stuff is pretty thick... if not I could buy it and double the thickness and stick the light along the edges on the larger pieces right under it...? I don't know.. just an idea. Anybody ever done this or see it done... I'm thinking it would use minimal wires since the pieces are so close and I could stash the wires in the cig lighter adapter deal and keep the door to it closed... they even have one with an on.off switch....

I think it would look bitchin.. like its out of TRON or something.... just don't know about the green gauges display....
Back to top Go down
robotennis61
Guru
robotennis61

Name : robotennis
Merit : 143

PostSubject: Re: Aftermarket trim with underlighting?   Aftermarket trim with underlighting? EmptyThu Mar 17, 2011 1:07 am

Randy,it would look so GAY !
Back to top Go down
wee-one
wee-one

Name : Randy
Merit : 3

PostSubject: Re: Aftermarket trim with underlighting?   Aftermarket trim with underlighting? EmptyThu Mar 17, 2011 1:25 am

Ya... i don't know... I watched TRON last night... LOL... guess that's where the idea come from.. I don't want the plastic to glow thru... just the edges.. I little bit of light to seep out the edges fronunderneath... guess it night be better on a little tuner rice burner... LOL...

I wanna do some kind of red LEDs somewhere customer the interior is that dark red.. almost brown and want it to be RED but not like a repainted red... plus I'm kindof into that TRON lighting effect they did on the clothes and vehicles... I wish I was better with Photoshop and could test out a pic... frown
Back to top Go down
robotennis61
Guru
robotennis61

Name : robotennis
Merit : 143

PostSubject: Re: Aftermarket trim with underlighting?   Aftermarket trim with underlighting? EmptyThu Mar 17, 2011 1:29 am

Honestly,its amazing how bad Rice stuff looks on the Riv.The Rivs body lines are too sophisticated for all that crap.
Look up the word ,Pimp,and then look the other way.
Back to top Go down
Abaddon
Expert
Abaddon

Name : Scott
Merit : 185

PostSubject: Re: Aftermarket trim with underlighting?   Aftermarket trim with underlighting? EmptyThu Mar 17, 2011 8:51 am

robotennis61 wrote:
Honestly,its amazing how bad Rice stuff looks on the Riv.The Rivs body lines are too sophisticated for all that crap.
Look up the word ,Pimp,and then look the other way.

agree

rice rockets
Back to top Go down
Derek
Fanatic

Name : Derek
Merit : 10

PostSubject: Re: Aftermarket trim with underlighting?   Aftermarket trim with underlighting? EmptyThu Mar 17, 2011 11:52 am

I don't like the idea but I'm willing to discuss it. The problem I see with your idea is that the 'sticky replacement panels' are simply giant stickers, maybe made of vinyl but stickers just the same. They are pre cut but not molded like the factory pieces. If you try to mount a light underneath the sticker it will simply bubble around the light, it will not keep its shape. So in my opinion your lights would be very visible cause they would leave a bump in the sticker anywhere you put them. If the pieces were pre molded plastic or something similar it *might* work but you'd have weird gaps were every edge stopped, that's where your light would shine out from. Also I would think the backing on those pieces would be more glue-like than strips of double sided tape, otherwise it wouldn't secure evenly, tho I could be wrong about that. If you're looking for accent lighting you could try mounting red led lights under the bottom of the dashboard, I mean down where your feet go, not the upper dashpad itsself. That would give you a glow similar to what you're looking for I think. If you go that route definitely wire them onto a switch cause you can get a ticket for things like that.
Back to top Go down
BMD
Aficionado
BMD

Name : BMD
Merit : 36

PostSubject: Re: Aftermarket trim with underlighting?   Aftermarket trim with underlighting? EmptyThu Mar 17, 2011 1:09 pm

robotennis61 wrote:
The Rivs body lines are too sophisticated for all that crap.

werd
Back to top Go down
Derek
Fanatic

Name : Derek
Merit : 10

PostSubject: Re: Aftermarket trim with underlighting?   Aftermarket trim with underlighting? EmptyThu Mar 17, 2011 1:15 pm

Hey I didn't say I LIKED the idea, I was just throwing it out there lol
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Aftermarket trim with underlighting?   Aftermarket trim with underlighting? Empty

Back to top Go down

Aftermarket trim with underlighting?
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Riv Performance ::   General Tech :: Interior-
Jump to: