Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

Troy's puller diaries...(good info 4 pulling/rebuilding s/c)

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
NO 4 EVR
Addict
NO 4 EVR

Name : Troy
Merit : 1

Troy's puller diaries...(good info 4 pulling/rebuilding s/c) Empty
PostSubject: Troy's puller diaries...(good info 4 pulling/rebuilding s/c)   Troy's puller diaries...(good info 4 pulling/rebuilding s/c) EmptyThu May 03, 2007 6:33 pm

So I ordered a new threaded rod from zzp as I was informed by Jason. The pulling went fine but the threaded rod from zzp is different from the original. It has a big 15/16 nut welded on the end. Now I can't slide the pulley and off or get the seal in there OR get it parts on reverse for install!!!! I can probably put it back on but then what? It seems like it will be hard to get this thing off the shaft.

Last edited by on Fri May 04, 2007 3:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
NO 4 EVR
Addict
NO 4 EVR

PostSubject: Re: Troy's puller diaries...(good info 4 pulling/rebuilding s/c)   Troy's puller diaries...(good info 4 pulling/rebuilding s/c) EmptyThu May 03, 2007 7:20 pm

I guess the new rod is part of the Gen II puller system by ZZP. I called them and some girl who had no idea what I was talking about asked someone there and they said to just take it off. Like its that easy.....

Here is what I mean w/ pics:

Original shaft:
Troy's puller diaries...(good info 4 pulling/rebuilding s/c) DSC00370
Notice the squared end that allowed things to slide off for seal install, and reversal for pulley INSTALL

Now this is the new 5/8 rod with a big nut welded on the end:
Troy's puller diaries...(good info 4 pulling/rebuilding s/c) DSC00369
Nothing can slide past it.

And this is where the problem lies:
Troy's puller diaries...(good info 4 pulling/rebuilding s/c) DSC00371
How do I get this rod off my s/c shaft. The girl on the phone was just like "take it off" I'm like "how????" I can take the snout off I guess and work from that angle, but I don't want to do that. Or I could install the pulley without putting my seal on and hope to get that 5/8 rod to come out then.

Please someone help.
Back to top Go down
NO 4 EVR
Addict
NO 4 EVR

PostSubject: Re: Troy's puller diaries...(good info 4 pulling/rebuilding s/c)   Troy's puller diaries...(good info 4 pulling/rebuilding s/c) EmptyThu May 03, 2007 8:03 pm

Ok well I see what she meant about pulling it out... I hadn't noticed that zzp included one m8 shaft in which half of it is not threaded:
Troy's puller diaries...(good info 4 pulling/rebuilding s/c) DSC00372

I am not sure why I only get one of them tho, but it would make the situation I'm in a little easier. I hope I can just get the pulley back on and put the belt on then just take the rod out and install again.

Anyone have reccomendations on getting this rod off now?
Back to top Go down
NO 4 EVR
Addict
NO 4 EVR

PostSubject: Re: Troy's puller diaries...(good info 4 pulling/rebuilding s/c)   Troy's puller diaries...(good info 4 pulling/rebuilding s/c) EmptyThu May 03, 2007 9:40 pm

Ok, got it. Just had to put the pulley back on and have my roommate wedge a wrench on the pulley and I was able to back it out. Now I just have to find my seal!
Back to top Go down
NO 4 EVR
Addict
NO 4 EVR

PostSubject: Re: Troy's puller diaries...(good info 4 pulling/rebuilding s/c)   Troy's puller diaries...(good info 4 pulling/rebuilding s/c) EmptyFri May 04, 2007 4:20 am

Wow, ok what a day. Everything seems to be installed well and ready to go. Few test drives and everything is good.

So besides my above dilema, everything went good. I had to go back to my parents house 20min north to get my s/c snout seal I forgot there. When I came back I continued to work in the dark w/ my roommate.

I took pics in order to do a write up but for some reason my camera felt it did not need to save any pics frown so no pics for a write up unless I borrow someone elses.

We took the seal out and it was all mangled. There was a rubber piece and a seperate metal piece, but the seal is only one piece, so you can guess it was pretty messed up. We installed the one piece seal and put the pulley back on.

The install went well at first, but then at the end the stud broke off, half in the s/c rod, half in the threaded rod. I really don't see how this can be avoided. Maybe someone can chime in but it seems unless you have psychic powers, once you reach the end of the line that stud is gonna snap. Is it designed like that?

Because removing the two snapped pieces was a breeze. One was sticking out about a quarter inch and we just used pliars to back it out of the s/c rod. The other part stuck completely inside the 5/8 threaded rod and it was the end with the hex key hole so we used the same needle nose pliars and backed that half out. Again this took all of 10 seconds or less. The pulley should be on right, if not its off about a milimeter or so, nothing I'm worried about. But I don't feel like snapping another stud to try and get it on better (it may be on perfect already). If that stud snaps in a less desirable place then I don't feel like busting out the drill and getting it out.

But thats about it for my puller diaries. It was a fun learning experience that I hope not to do again but probably will... I can maybe try a write up. Seems the ones I found around the internet are lacking. I like to have a step by step tut that leaves no room for error or question. I didnt have that so I made this process about 10x harder than it needed to be. If anyone has questions feel free to ask
Back to top Go down
Jason
Aficionado
Jason

Name : Jason
Merit : 66

PostSubject: Re: Troy's puller diaries...(good info 4 pulling/rebuilding s/c)   Troy's puller diaries...(good info 4 pulling/rebuilding s/c) EmptyFri May 04, 2007 2:40 pm

the hexhead stud snapped in the SC snout during my install too. Except When I asked the mechanic to remove it by welding on a nut on the part that was sticking out he tried to drill it out and use an easy-out (on grade 8 steel...riiiiight). Anyhow, the threads in my snout are now ruined.

glad the install went ok
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/id/Doctor_Meltdown
NO 4 EVR
Addict
NO 4 EVR

PostSubject: Re: Troy's puller diaries...(good info 4 pulling/rebuilding s/c)   Troy's puller diaries...(good info 4 pulling/rebuilding s/c) EmptyFri May 04, 2007 3:53 pm

Oh, I was wondering why you couldnt get it out. What a dbag ruining your threads like that! Well I ordered you the new threaded rod but this one is different than yours. If you didnt know already for the pull you need to use a stud that is only half threaded. For the install you need to use a threaded stud (which will break). Thanks for letting me use it.

I was going to use your rod, but there was two problems, One the threads were galled in the one spot. The other is the stud was stuck in the 5/8 rod.

Question tho jason. you know the little studs which have an allen key hole in one side? Which side goes into what? If you install it where the allen key hole side goes into the s/c shaft I could see how it would break off in the s/c shaft. But my roommate installed it backwards of how I said to and it worked out well when it snapped
Back to top Go down
Jason
Aficionado
Jason

PostSubject: Re: Troy's puller diaries...(good info 4 pulling/rebuilding s/c)   Troy's puller diaries...(good info 4 pulling/rebuilding s/c) EmptySat May 05, 2007 11:22 am

i put the hexhead into the threaded rod. If it snaps, it's easy to get out of the rod, at least.

you'd better have gone for a smaller pulley *glower*
Back to top Go down
NO 4 EVR
Addict
NO 4 EVR

PostSubject: Re: Troy's puller diaries...(good info 4 pulling/rebuilding s/c)   Troy's puller diaries...(good info 4 pulling/rebuilding s/c) EmptySat May 05, 2007 5:25 pm

Nope. I really didnt have the time to order one and wait for it. My snout was leaking like a siv soaking my belts and making them slip. I will if you let me borrow it longer.......
Back to top Go down
Jason
Aficionado
Jason

PostSubject: Re: Troy's puller diaries...(good info 4 pulling/rebuilding s/c)   Troy's puller diaries...(good info 4 pulling/rebuilding s/c) EmptySat May 05, 2007 5:40 pm

yeah go ahead, I don't need it anytime soon. I have a perma-3.4 now.
Back to top Go down
NO 4 EVR
Addict
NO 4 EVR

PostSubject: Re: Troy's puller diaries...(good info 4 pulling/rebuilding s/c)   Troy's puller diaries...(good info 4 pulling/rebuilding s/c) EmptySat May 05, 2007 6:00 pm

lol. perma? can't you just take off the snout and bring it to a shop with a press? It would be quite a bit more work then using a puller. Speaking of if you want to sell this to me since you can't really use it that would be cool too. No pressure. I can send it back whenever you want smile
Back to top Go down
Jason
Aficionado
Jason

PostSubject: Re: Troy's puller diaries...(good info 4 pulling/rebuilding s/c)   Troy's puller diaries...(good info 4 pulling/rebuilding s/c) EmptySat May 05, 2007 6:44 pm

yeah I COULD take everything apart, but I can only run 91 here, so it will be staying there until I can scan. I'd rather keep the puller as I will probably use it again someday on my GF's regal GS or my father's 97 GTP, but go ahead and keep it for the duration of a 3.4 install.
Back to top Go down
NO 4 EVR
Addict
NO 4 EVR

PostSubject: Re: Troy's puller diaries...(good info 4 pulling/rebuilding s/c)   Troy's puller diaries...(good info 4 pulling/rebuilding s/c) EmptySat May 05, 2007 6:56 pm

OK cool. I see you do have even more of a use for it than I, two cars.

But WOW, you and your dad both have s/c 3800s, thats awesome, but your g/f!!! You're planning on marrying this one right?
Back to top Go down
Jason
Aficionado
Jason

PostSubject: Re: Troy's puller diaries...(good info 4 pulling/rebuilding s/c)   Troy's puller diaries...(good info 4 pulling/rebuilding s/c) EmptySat May 05, 2007 8:14 pm

been with her 5 awesome years now...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Troy's puller diaries...(good info 4 pulling/rebuilding s/c)   Troy's puller diaries...(good info 4 pulling/rebuilding s/c) Empty

Back to top Go down

Troy's puller diaries...(good info 4 pulling/rebuilding s/c)
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Riv Performance ::   Supercharged 3800 Tech :: Series II Engine & Transmission-
Jump to: