Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

Lubing Sunroof Track

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
BigRay1125
Enthusiast
BigRay1125

Name : Ray
Merit : 5

sunroof - Lubing Sunroof Track Empty
PostSubject: Lubing Sunroof Track   sunroof - Lubing Sunroof Track EmptyTue Mar 29, 2011 8:28 pm

IS THERE A SPECIAL WAY TO LUBE THE SUNROOF TRACK I BOUGHT A NEW SUNROOF MOTOR & ITS DOING THE SAME THING MOVING VERY SLOW THEN STOP BUT WITH SOME HELP IT WILL OPEN & CLOSE
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2687212/1995-buick-riviera
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :
Merit : 180

PostSubject: Re: Lubing Sunroof Track   sunroof - Lubing Sunroof Track EmptyTue Mar 29, 2011 9:33 pm

If I did not mention to clean and lubricate the sunroof track before you replaced the motor I apologize. Although I kinda doubt this is your issue. I suspect part of your cloth roof is caught up in the guides or something. I mean, it's just a guess I really have no idea. Just a hunch. And oh, the sunroof does not move but so fast by the way.

You will need some rags and some WD-40 or other light oil *for cleaning* and some somewhat heavier lube like tune up greas or lithium grease.

First tilt the sunroof forward and make sure there's nothing stuck back up in the guides. Also make sure that your custom roof has not come loose and jammed fabric in the guides somehow.

Spray part of one of those rags with wd40 and use that rag to wipe off old grease from the guides, being careful to keep the wd40 or whatever *OFF* the headliner et cetera. Just use it to clean those guides, at least the parts of the guides you can see.

Next close the sunroof from the tilt position and slide it open. Now you can reach the rest of the guides and clean them off.

When the guides are cleaned close the sunroof again. If it seems to bind somewhat then use the tune up grease or lithium grease to lube the guides.

Once you clean and lightly lube the guides and it's working OK you probably won't have to do it for a while (years).

Back to top Go down
BigRay1125
Enthusiast
BigRay1125

PostSubject: Re: Lubing Sunroof Track   sunroof - Lubing Sunroof Track EmptyWed Mar 30, 2011 8:07 am

THANX I`LL GET ON IT RIGHT AFTER WORK ......I`LL KEEP YOU POSTED
Back to top Go down
99Rivman
Aficionado
99Rivman

Name : Randall
Merit : 89

PostSubject: Re: Lubing Sunroof Track   sunroof - Lubing Sunroof Track EmptyWed Mar 30, 2011 6:40 pm

Here are the “Sunroof Diagnosis” pages from the ’95 Service Manual; I believe for most, if not all years, the diagnosis should be pretty close to the same.
It does mention some of the same conditions you are having, maybe look at these pages and see if something listed helps cure your problem?

sunroof - Lubing Sunroof Track 8-5-2010

sunroof - Lubing Sunroof Track 8-5-2110

If you want to look at all of the pages from the ’95 SM pertaining to the sunroof you could go to this link:

https://rivperformance.editboard.com/t7269-write-up-sunroof-diagnosis-and-repair?highlight=sunroof

I do know the ’99 SM is different but haven’t looked at all of the years to see exactly what the differences are. I do have manuals for several years so if there is something specific you need to know that isn’t covered in my other write up let me know and I’ll see what I can do.
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/id/99Rivman
BigRay1125
Enthusiast
BigRay1125

PostSubject: Re: Lubing Sunroof Track   sunroof - Lubing Sunroof Track EmptyWed Mar 30, 2011 8:05 pm

albertj ........Your The Man That Did The Trick Its Sliding Like New I Wiped The whole Track With WD-40 Then Sprayed Litium Grease Along The Track & Everything Was Good

99Rivman Thanx I printed That Whole Sunroof write up

THANX again
Ray P
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :

PostSubject: Re: Lubing Sunroof Track   sunroof - Lubing Sunroof Track EmptyWed Mar 30, 2011 9:27 pm

Hi Ray and you are welcome. You are giving me too much credit though - I thought it was something else.

peace out and as the Esso ads used to say, happy motoring...
Back to top Go down
DEMonte1997
Aficionado
DEMonte1997

Name : Rick
Merit : 37

PostSubject: Re: Lubing Sunroof Track   sunroof - Lubing Sunroof Track EmptyWed Mar 30, 2011 11:58 pm

lol

Where is the "Sunroof makes popping sound and binds when you press button to open it" condition? That's the only thing about my car that pisses me off. mad
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :

PostSubject: Re: Lubing Sunroof Track   sunroof - Lubing Sunroof Track EmptyThu Mar 31, 2011 1:16 pm

DEMonte1997 wrote:
lol

Where is the "Sunroof makes popping sound and binds when you press button to open it" condition? That's the only thing about my car that pisses me off. mad

...try cleaning the sunroof weatherstrip and the jamb (hole) it closes into with murphy's oil soap or another gentle cleaner (castile or glycerin bar soap even) then dry it and lubricate it with tuneup grease (at the auto parts store in little packs for like a buck, usually at the counter) or DOT-5 brake fluid (only straight DOT-5, it is a silicone liquid, primarily dimethylpolysiloxane). Or maybe with the sprayon silicone (the problem is the volatile carrier's not so great for the rubber) by wetting a rag with teh stuff and wiping it on.

Key thing is to get it clean, clean, clean then lubricate.

Check the leading edge carefully when oening and closing, you may need to/want to adjust the sunroof but you will need the service manual for your year Riv for that.

(end)
Back to top Go down
DEMonte1997
Aficionado
DEMonte1997

Name : Rick
Merit : 37

PostSubject: Re: Lubing Sunroof Track   sunroof - Lubing Sunroof Track EmptyThu Mar 31, 2011 2:54 pm

Thanks Albert. smile I'll give that a shot.
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :

PostSubject: Re: Lubing Sunroof Track   sunroof - Lubing Sunroof Track EmptyThu Mar 31, 2011 8:04 pm

...my guess is you're gonna end up loosening some screws and realigning the panel. You have the service manual with a cutaway drawing of the SR and its opening?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Lubing Sunroof Track   sunroof - Lubing Sunroof Track Empty

Back to top Go down

Lubing Sunroof Track
Page 1 of 1