Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

Bad balance shaft/bearings?

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
97 park ave
Addict
97 park ave

Name : Tyler
Merit : 21

Bad balance shaft/bearings? Empty
PostSubject: Bad balance shaft/bearings?   Bad balance shaft/bearings? EmptySat Sep 03, 2011 5:52 pm

Hey guys i got an L36 that had a knock from my work for dirt cheap. I want to use the block if its good, the tech that pulled it out said it sounded like it was coming from up top. All of the rockers are tight, i havent checked the torque yet but when i grabbed hold of the balance shaft i found this:
https://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b198/x7413I2x/431b0688.mp4

Is that most likely the knocking?
Back to top Go down
flyineagle96
Junkie
flyineagle96

Name : James E
Merit : 23

PostSubject: Re: Bad balance shaft/bearings?   Bad balance shaft/bearings? EmptySat Sep 03, 2011 8:24 pm

I'd say yes
Back to top Go down
RidzRiv
Addict
RidzRiv

Name : Greg
Merit : 17

PostSubject: Re: Bad balance shaft/bearings?   Bad balance shaft/bearings? EmptySat Sep 03, 2011 8:28 pm

I'd agree, there is no way that the balance shaft isn't making any noise while the engine runs if it makes that much noise as you just touch it.
Back to top Go down
97 park ave
Addict
97 park ave

PostSubject: Re: Bad balance shaft/bearings?   Bad balance shaft/bearings? EmptySun Sep 04, 2011 12:05 pm

Thats what i was thinking, but according to a few people on MNCGP thats normal and i should be checking for a collapsed lifter or broken valve spring, wouldnt the pushrods have play with a collapsed lifter?
Anyone know any tricks to getting the crank bolt out with the engine sitting on my garage floor? Lol...
Back to top Go down
deekster_caddy
Master

Name : Derek
Merit : 109

PostSubject: Re: Bad balance shaft/bearings?   Bad balance shaft/bearings? EmptySun Sep 04, 2011 2:22 pm

It's hard to tell from that video exactly where the sound is coming from. If you are rotating the shaft back and forth the noise you hear is timing chain play and not a big deal. End to end play is also not a big deal and shouldn't cause knock.

You can wedge a screwdriver through the flywheel and have someone hold the engine upright, or use an impact gun to get that bolt out.
Back to top Go down
97 park ave
Addict
97 park ave

PostSubject: Re: Bad balance shaft/bearings?   Bad balance shaft/bearings? EmptySun Sep 04, 2011 2:32 pm

Impact wont budge it, the girlfriends regals crank bolt came out like nothin with the impact. Flywheel is off and i dont have the bolts for it, i guess ill have to wait until tuesday to see if the bolts are still at work.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Bad balance shaft/bearings?   Bad balance shaft/bearings? Empty

Back to top Go down

Bad balance shaft/bearings?
Page 1 of 1