Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

Losing coolant but not overheating

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Nordo
Special

Name : Jarrod
Merit : 0

Losing coolant but not overheating Empty
PostSubject: Losing coolant but not overheating   Losing coolant but not overheating EmptySat Sep 10, 2011 7:06 pm

I apologize if this has been covered somewhere, I searched but could not find an answer to my current issue.

I have a 97 SC that I drive alot....I bought it about 16 months ago and have put almost 40,000 miles on it since then, it has about 125,000 on it now. I travel back and forth from Tn to Ga every weekend, two weekends ago my low coolant light came on but went back out about 2 - 3 minutes later, did it once again on the trip, came on and then went back out. This past weekend my wife drove the car from Tn to Ga, before she left, I looked and found the coolant recovery tank was empty. I added water to it and sent her on her way. The car did fine, light never came on.....perfect trip. Yesterday she stopped at a gas station and noticed that a small puddle of coolant was leaking from under the car. She got the car home and after inspection, I noticed the tank was empty again and the radiator was slightly low. I topped the radiator up with 50/50 and the tank with water, I have now driven the car on short trips with no issues, no overheating and no indications of the engine getting any hotter than normal. I do however see a small spot, about 6 inch diameter, on the driveway, doesn't smell like coolant, it seems to be clear but is oily feeling.

I had the LIM gaskets replaced about 6 - 8 months ago, so I don't believe that this is an issue....and also do not see substantially wet areas under the hood, on the hoses or around the radiatior.

Can anyone give me some advice on what they think the issue might be. I am supposed to leave GA tomorrow and head back to TN, if I watch my levels closely does anyone see an issue with driving it? I have a mechanic in TN that I really trust and would like to get it to him, but obviously can't take a chance on overheating and causing serious damage.

Back to top Go down
96riv
Fanatic
96riv

Name : Dennis
Merit : 8

PostSubject: Re: Losing coolant but not overheating   Losing coolant but not overheating EmptySat Sep 10, 2011 7:26 pm

I would bet a tiny hole in the plastic end tanks. Mine did it for a long time before I found it.
Back to top Go down
http://www.arizonagn.com
AA
Administrator
AA

Name : Aaron
Merit : 252

PostSubject: Re: Losing coolant but not overheating   Losing coolant but not overheating EmptySun Sep 11, 2011 12:29 pm

I've had the same problem for most of this year. Have been adding water in small amounts all summer. Mine is seeping near the top of the radiator, and I've noticed once the level drops below the hole, it no longer leaks. Until it gets worse, I'm living with it. Probably will get me through the winter, then replace in spring.

PS - my leak is on the driver side, very close to the upper coolant hose. Absolutely no overheating problems so far.

'05 GTO 6.0L • 6-spd • 95k miles • 0-60: 4.8s • 16.9 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:26

'95 Celica GT 2.2L • 5-spd • 165k miles • 0-60: yes

'98 SC Riviera • 281k miles • 298 HP/370 TQ • 0-60: 5.79s • ET: 13.97 @ 99.28 • 4087 lb • 20.1 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:30
3.4" pulley • AL104 plugs • 180º t-stat • FWI w/K&N • 1.9:1 rockers • OR pushrods • LS6 valve springs • SLP headers • ZZP fuel rails
KYB GR2 struts • MaxAir shocks • Addco sway bars • UMI bushings • GM STB • Enkei 18" EV5s w/ Dunlop DZ101s • F-body calipers
EBC bluestuff/Hawk HP plus • SS lines • Brembo slotted discs • DHP tuned • Aeroforce • Hidden Hitch

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown

'70 Ninety-Eight Holiday Coupe 455cid • 116k miles
^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/657082/4
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :
Merit : 180

PostSubject: Re: Losing coolant but not overheating   Losing coolant but not overheating EmptySun Sep 11, 2011 5:53 pm

...just repair or replace the radiator. However if you want to know where the leak is first, you can get a bottle of dye at larger parts stores, add it to the rad when cold, you can then find the leak with a UV light believe me you'll have No Problem spotting it.

My UV "telltale" light is a cheapie "blacklight" fluorescent "twist" bulb I got from Home Depot, you could get one most any hardware or larger department store. The incandescent black lights stink but the fluorescent ones work fine for this. So I keep it on the shelf and when I need it I remove the regular trouble light's bulb and put the 'blacklight' twistie in its place.

Albertj

Back to top Go down
deekster_caddy
Master

Name : Derek
Merit : 109

PostSubject: Re: Losing coolant but not overheating   Losing coolant but not overheating EmptySun Sep 11, 2011 7:13 pm

AA let me know when you are ready - I still have that brand new Delco radiator!
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :
Merit : 180

PostSubject: Re: Losing coolant but not overheating   Losing coolant but not overheating EmptySun Sep 11, 2011 7:41 pm

deekster_caddy wrote:
AA let me know when you are ready - I still have that brand new Delco radiator!

Such A Deal!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Losing coolant but not overheating   Losing coolant but not overheating Empty

Back to top Go down

Losing coolant but not overheating
Page 1 of 1