Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

Rough idle in drive, bogging at lower speeds

Go down 
+2
AA
themanwithsauce
6 posters
AuthorMessage
themanwithsauce
Enthusiast
themanwithsauce

Name : Chris
Merit : 8

Rough idle in drive, bogging at lower speeds Empty
PostSubject: Rough idle in drive, bogging at lower speeds   Rough idle in drive, bogging at lower speeds EmptyThu Oct 20, 2011 4:34 pm

When it rains, it pours for me. After the fuel pump fiasco, I got a whole 2 days of trouble free motoring before everything went to hell again. It's been raining a lot this week and on my way home yesterday I noticed I had really bad idle issues when I was at stoplights. It was to the point my car had issues going again. But once at speed, things seemed to improve. My dad told me to look at my coils and see how the grease had held up. I asked him back what grease? His diagnosis was a coil pack shorting out in the rain. I tried to tell him it sounds like fuel delivery but 60$ later with 3 brand new coils I still have the idle of a model T

Here's the list of recent work
-New MAF sensor ~3 months ago
-New CORRECT fuel pump a few days ago, has worked fine
-New coils w/ dielectric grease on the seals to keep out the rain
-New plugs/wires 4 months ago or so

Here are the symptoms
-Rough idle when in drive (~700 rpm)
-Bogging heavily off the line
-Steady cruising, no issues
-Gets worse as the car heats up
-Semi-rough shifting from 1-2
-Electrics flicker when the bogging happens. Nothing dies but my lights seem to flicker a little bit to where its noticeable. However, the battery and accessory wiring seem fine when the engine is off so I'm pretty sure it's not that.

I'm unsure if the shifting is related as it's pretty random on my car and only happens if I go slow. Holding a speed the car will do all shits just fine.

So what's next for me to try?
Back to top Go down
AA
Administrator
AA

Name : Aaron
Merit : 252

PostSubject: Re: Rough idle in drive, bogging at lower speeds   Rough idle in drive, bogging at lower speeds EmptyThu Oct 20, 2011 4:46 pm

Not sure yet what you're problem is, but keep a hold of the OEM coils you replaced. Three new ones for $60 is a great deal if you found OEMs, but in case you bought an off brand, I imagine your originals are more reliable.

'05 GTO 6.0L • 6-spd • 95k miles • 0-60: 4.8s • 16.9 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:26

'95 Celica GT 2.2L • 5-spd • 165k miles • 0-60: yes

'98 SC Riviera • 281k miles • 298 HP/370 TQ • 0-60: 5.79s • ET: 13.97 @ 99.28 • 4087 lb • 20.1 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:30
3.4" pulley • AL104 plugs • 180º t-stat • FWI w/K&N • 1.9:1 rockers • OR pushrods • LS6 valve springs • SLP headers • ZZP fuel rails
KYB GR2 struts • MaxAir shocks • Addco sway bars • UMI bushings • GM STB • Enkei 18" EV5s w/ Dunlop DZ101s • F-body calipers
EBC bluestuff/Hawk HP plus • SS lines • Brembo slotted discs • DHP tuned • Aeroforce • Hidden Hitch

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown

'70 Ninety-Eight Holiday Coupe 455cid • 116k miles
^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/657082/4
themanwithsauce
Enthusiast
themanwithsauce

PostSubject: Re: Rough idle in drive, bogging at lower speeds   Rough idle in drive, bogging at lower speeds EmptyThu Oct 20, 2011 4:53 pm

They were NAPA's off brand but in all regards they look and feel identical to GM's OEM stuff. In fact I think their electrical connector has a bit of a better design, much tighter fitting to help keep out water. Or mine were that worn. Either way, one of the coils had a corroded connector to the ICM and was giving me a really weird spark when I checked it but it was not "dead" just "dying". All the salty michigan slush in the winter probably would've killed it soon anyways.
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :
Merit : 181

PostSubject: Re: Rough idle in drive, bogging at lower speeds   Rough idle in drive, bogging at lower speeds EmptyThu Oct 20, 2011 5:25 pm

themanwithsauce wrote:
When it rains, it pours for me. After the fuel pump fiasco, I got a whole 2 days of trouble free motoring before everything went to hell again. It's been raining a lot this week and on my way home yesterday I noticed I had really bad idle issues when I was at stoplights. It was to the point my car had issues going again. But once at speed, things seemed to improve. My dad told me to look at my coils and see how the grease had held up. I asked him back what grease? His diagnosis was a coil pack shorting out in the rain. I tried to tell him it sounds like fuel delivery but 60$ later with 3 brand new coils I still have the idle of a model T

Here's the list of recent work
-New MAF sensor ~3 months ago
-New CORRECT fuel pump a few days ago, has worked fine
-New coils w/ dielectric grease on the seals to keep out the rain
-New plugs/wires 4 months ago or so

Here are the symptoms
-Rough idle when in drive (~700 rpm)
-Bogging heavily off the line
-Steady cruising, no issues
-Gets worse as the car heats up
-Semi-rough shifting from 1-2
-Electrics flicker when the bogging happens. Nothing dies but my lights seem to flicker a little bit to where its noticeable. However, the battery and accessory wiring seem fine when the engine is off so I'm pretty sure it's not that.

I'm unsure if the shifting is related as it's pretty random on my car and only happens if I go slow. Holding a speed the car will do all shits just fine.

So what's next for me to try?

When was the last time you removed the throttle body and cleaned the IAC and EGR air passages? As well as the backside of the TB?
Back to top Go down
themanwithsauce
Enthusiast
themanwithsauce

PostSubject: Re: Rough idle in drive, bogging at lower speeds   Rough idle in drive, bogging at lower speeds EmptyThu Oct 20, 2011 7:16 pm

FOund the culprit, my battery terminals had corroded because water seeped in through a hole in my fender well. Cleaned the terminals and the car is back to the way it was. Still needs work but now it's back on track. Although the coil terminals were also quite corroded so in a way I'm glad I had that area cleaned up. I'm still amazed that it never threw a code. Jessica is an absolute tank. Refuses to admit that anything is wrong.....or maybe that just means she's a woman razz
Back to top Go down
pbrktrt
Enthusiast

Name : patrick gervais
Merit : 5

PostSubject: Re: Rough idle in drive, bogging at lower speeds   Rough idle in drive, bogging at lower speeds EmptyThu Oct 20, 2011 7:23 pm

Which makes me think of my issue I posted earlier. Any chance your filler neck has a rust hole you are unaware of? Lose any fuel when you really fill it up? Never mind, you found the issue as I was posting. Carry on.
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :
Merit : 181

PostSubject: Re: Rough idle in drive, bogging at lower speeds   Rough idle in drive, bogging at lower speeds EmptyFri Oct 21, 2011 12:01 am

themanwithsauce wrote:
FOund the culprit, my battery terminals had corroded because water seeped in through a hole in my fender well. Cleaned the terminals and the car is back to the way it was. Still needs work but now it's back on track. Although the coil terminals were also quite corroded so in a way I'm glad I had that area cleaned up. I'm still amazed that it never threw a code. Jessica is an absolute tank. Refuses to admit that anything is wrong.....or maybe that just means she's a woman razz

That's a new one on me.

Might want to check the subframe and its mounts, and the rear suspension links.

Albertj
Back to top Go down
themanwithsauce
Enthusiast
themanwithsauce

PostSubject: Re: Rough idle in drive, bogging at lower speeds   Rough idle in drive, bogging at lower speeds EmptyMon Nov 07, 2011 11:25 pm

The problem area lies in the rear fender wells. The metal has started rusting away and has allowed water to seep into certain cracks and ridges in the frame and body work. Aside from replacing the fenderwell liner, I also have to get the fiberglass sealant out and patch/repair it from the trunk.
Back to top Go down
adri
Amateur

Name : adri(95S1SC)
Merit : 1

PostSubject: Re: Rough idle in drive, bogging at lower speeds   Rough idle in drive, bogging at lower speeds EmptyTue Nov 08, 2011 12:14 pm

themanwithsauce i have a very similar problem. my car sounds and feels like its missing, bad. the lights have a slight flicker when it idles and when i accelerate to lets say over 35 its starts bogging and almost sputtering. it cuts acceleration drastically. i have changed the coil pack, messed with the plug wires but none of that seems to calm the roughness of the engine. is it maybe a fuel pump problem??
Back to top Go down
deekster_caddy
Master

Name : Derek
Merit : 109

PostSubject: Re: Rough idle in drive, bogging at lower speeds   Rough idle in drive, bogging at lower speeds EmptyTue Nov 08, 2011 1:04 pm

adri wrote:
themanwithsauce i have a very similar problem. my car sounds and feels like its missing, bad. the lights have a slight flicker when it idles and when i accelerate to lets say over 35 its starts bogging and almost sputtering. it cuts acceleration drastically. i have changed the coil pack, messed with the plug wires but none of that seems to calm the roughness of the engine. is it maybe a fuel pump problem??

1st instinct says this sounds like bad plug wires or plugs. Possible a nearly clogged fuel filter. What does "messed with the plug wires" mean?
Back to top Go down
adri
Amateur

PostSubject: temp   Rough idle in drive, bogging at lower speeds EmptySat Nov 12, 2011 8:40 am

well, one of the plug wires is damaged but we did some temporary repairs to it in order to save some money. it may sound like that may be the problem however after driving the car after we did that it didnt miss at all, but after a while it began to miss again terribly. so now we are thinking that it is a bad fuel injector. but idk neutral
Back to top Go down
AA
Administrator
AA

Name : Aaron
Merit : 252

PostSubject: Re: Rough idle in drive, bogging at lower speeds   Rough idle in drive, bogging at lower speeds EmptySat Nov 12, 2011 1:13 pm

adri, you need to change all the plug wires before you do anything else.

'05 GTO 6.0L • 6-spd • 95k miles • 0-60: 4.8s • 16.9 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:26

'95 Celica GT 2.2L • 5-spd • 165k miles • 0-60: yes

'98 SC Riviera • 281k miles • 298 HP/370 TQ • 0-60: 5.79s • ET: 13.97 @ 99.28 • 4087 lb • 20.1 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:30
3.4" pulley • AL104 plugs • 180º t-stat • FWI w/K&N • 1.9:1 rockers • OR pushrods • LS6 valve springs • SLP headers • ZZP fuel rails
KYB GR2 struts • MaxAir shocks • Addco sway bars • UMI bushings • GM STB • Enkei 18" EV5s w/ Dunlop DZ101s • F-body calipers
EBC bluestuff/Hawk HP plus • SS lines • Brembo slotted discs • DHP tuned • Aeroforce • Hidden Hitch

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown

'70 Ninety-Eight Holiday Coupe 455cid • 116k miles
^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/657082/4
adri
Amateur

PostSubject: temp   Rough idle in drive, bogging at lower speeds EmptySat Nov 12, 2011 3:35 pm

ok, ill do that, cause after all it really could be the plug wires. Thanks!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Rough idle in drive, bogging at lower speeds   Rough idle in drive, bogging at lower speeds Empty

Back to top Go down

Rough idle in drive, bogging at lower speeds
Page 1 of 1