Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

Key Lock cylinder replacement / new door opener installation

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
upstatedon
Special
upstatedon

Name : Don
Merit : 0

Key Lock cylinder replacement / new door opener installation Empty
PostSubject: Key Lock cylinder replacement / new door opener installation   Key Lock cylinder replacement / new door opener installation EmptyWed Oct 26, 2011 3:06 pm

Good day,

Purchased a replacent Door Opener, as mine has the standard broken tab, was wondering if anyone has replaced the key lock/unlock cylinder.
I have removed the wire retainer from the old door opener, but not sure if there is another step to remove the lock, as I want to re-install in the new opener.

Thank in advance for your help
Don
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :
Merit : 180

PostSubject: Re: Key Lock cylinder replacement / new door opener installation   Key Lock cylinder replacement / new door opener installation EmptyThu Oct 27, 2011 12:15 am

suggest you have a locksmith rekey the cylinder in the replacement door handle to match your key. since you have the handle out it won't cost much.
Back to top Go down
upstatedon
Special
upstatedon

PostSubject: Re: Key Lock cylinder replacement / new door opener installation   Key Lock cylinder replacement / new door opener installation EmptyThu Oct 27, 2011 11:17 am

Actually the lock and key work fine, I just can't seem to remove the lock from the old door handle assembly and install in the new door handle assembly
The retainer clip is removed, not sure what else holds the lock in there.
Back to top Go down
Abaddon
Expert
Abaddon

Name : Scott
Merit : 185

PostSubject: Re: Key Lock cylinder replacement / new door opener installation   Key Lock cylinder replacement / new door opener installation EmptyThu Oct 27, 2011 11:27 am

A lot of times, the door lock has a spring lock button on it as well as that retainer...just like the "push lock" on an Ignition cylinder. Look at it closely and see if there's a hole in the handle for such a "lock". I replaced my door handle a while back, but I can't recall exactly what I did. Worst case scenario, you break the hell outta the old door handle to get the lock out....

AND, be very, very careful putting in the new handle. The edges of the sheet metal around that handle is quite flimsy. The handle may require a little bit of extra effort to get it to snap into place, resulting in a dented/warped door skin. Just saying....be careful.
Back to top Go down
upstatedon
Special
upstatedon

PostSubject: Re: Key Lock cylinder replacement / new door opener installation   Key Lock cylinder replacement / new door opener installation EmptyThu Oct 27, 2011 11:34 am

Thanks Scott,

I had the handle out once, JB welded and put back in.. Did not last 4 pulls.
I know how hard it is to get back in, such a pain!!!
But I will tape off the area, and take my time, no getting frustrated again!!

Will also look harder for the "push lock" deal.

Best to you!
Back to top Go down
99Rivman
Aficionado
99Rivman

Name : Randall
Merit : 89

PostSubject: Re: Key Lock cylinder replacement / new door opener installation   Key Lock cylinder replacement / new door opener installation EmptyThu Oct 27, 2011 6:57 pm

I had mine apart when I painted my '95, if I remember correctly once the clip is removed the lock cylinder just pushed out. Perhaps yours is stuck more than mine was but I don't remember it being that difficult?
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/id/99Rivman
upstatedon
Special
upstatedon

PostSubject: Re: Key Lock cylinder replacement / new door opener installation   Key Lock cylinder replacement / new door opener installation EmptyFri Oct 28, 2011 3:21 pm

Thank Randall,

I might bring it into work, they have a press out back, and give it a shot.

Let ya know how it goes

Don
Back to top Go down
upstatedon
Special
upstatedon

PostSubject: Re: Key Lock cylinder replacement / new door opener installation   Key Lock cylinder replacement / new door opener installation EmptyTue Nov 01, 2011 2:19 pm

Took the unit to work and was able to tap the lock out with a small section on tubing, nothing other than the retainer clip was holding it in!!!

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Key Lock cylinder replacement / new door opener installation   Key Lock cylinder replacement / new door opener installation Empty

Back to top Go down

Key Lock cylinder replacement / new door opener installation
Page 1 of 1