Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

Weight Reduction

Go down 
+17
matt270avian
th3fr4nchi5e
69GSColorado
stan
bigdave
deekster_caddy
Mr.Riviera
pbrktrt
Jamax
flyineagle96
Rivillac
albertj
AA
robotennis61
charlieRobinson
21 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
AuthorMessage
Sir Psycho Sexy
Junkie
Sir Psycho Sexy

Name : Tyler
Merit : 20

Weight Reduction - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Weight Reduction   Weight Reduction - Page 4 EmptyTue Jul 15, 2014 6:05 pm

Weight Reduction - Page 4 IMAG0248_zps3p7ibixy

Craigslist find. 150 for both with rails. Holding up really well and super comfortable. The stock drivers seat weights more than the passenger. I'd guess that I saved around 70-80 pounds since I had to use the factory rails.
Back to top Go down
Birdawgxx
Amateur

Name : Tenn Jeff
Merit : 3

PostSubject: Re: Weight Reduction   Weight Reduction - Page 4 EmptyWed Jul 16, 2014 8:29 pm

Those don't match at all, and yet don't look bad at all either! What model and year vehicle are those seats out of? You must be smiling knowing that you're not putting excessive wear and tear on your stockers. $150.00 is cheap for some temporary use seats vs. having the originals re-done.
Back to top Go down
Sir Psycho Sexy
Junkie
Sir Psycho Sexy

PostSubject: Re: Weight Reduction   Weight Reduction - Page 4 EmptyWed Jul 16, 2014 8:36 pm

These are just generic "racing" seats. I mean, they're not bride or recaro, but I like them. I'm going for a black and tan look. It looks more uniform with my black floor mats in, but I had them out for some reason at the time haha
Back to top Go down
robotennis61
Guru
robotennis61

Name : robotennis
Merit : 143

PostSubject: Re: Weight Reduction   Weight Reduction - Page 4 EmptyWed Jul 16, 2014 9:12 pm

Really nice.They look a little low.Are you really tall?
Back to top Go down
Sir Psycho Sexy
Junkie
Sir Psycho Sexy

PostSubject: Re: Weight Reduction   Weight Reduction - Page 4 EmptyWed Jul 16, 2014 9:17 pm

I'm fairly average. Right around 5'11"... I kind of like sitting low though. Feels like a go cart lol
Back to top Go down
robotennis61
Guru
robotennis61

PostSubject: Re: Weight Reduction   Weight Reduction - Page 4 EmptyWed Jul 16, 2014 11:56 pm

Pretty good mod tho.Did you take pics of the OEM bracket mod?
Back to top Go down
turtleman
Expert
turtleman

Name : Codith
Merit : 140

PostSubject: Re: Weight Reduction   Weight Reduction - Page 4 EmptySat Jul 19, 2014 3:46 pm

robotennis61 wrote:
Pretty good mod tho.Did you take pics of the OEM bracket  mod?
X2

cool to see someone did this finally! I kinda want to myself cause I hate the severe lack of side support on the factory seats but there's about 200 other things higher on my list I guess
Back to top Go down
Sir Psycho Sexy
Junkie
Sir Psycho Sexy

PostSubject: Re: Weight Reduction   Weight Reduction - Page 4 EmptySat Jul 19, 2014 5:15 pm

I didn't, but I should have. It's just a plate with holes drilled in it welded to the top of the stock rails, then the rails from these seats bolted to that plate. The stock rails are cast, but a good friend of mine is a phenomenal welder and he made it work.
Back to top Go down
charlieRobinson
Expert
charlieRobinson

Name : Charlie
Merit : 31

PostSubject: Re: Weight Reduction   Weight Reduction - Page 4 EmptySun Jul 20, 2014 12:10 am

turtleman wrote:

robotennis61 wrote:

X2

cool to see someone did this finally! I kinda want to myself cause I hate the severe lack of side support on the factory seats but there's about 200 other things higher on my list I guess

I am shocked to read you still have factory seats.  dunce
Back to top Go down
stan
Expert

Merit : 12

PostSubject: Re: Weight Reduction   Weight Reduction - Page 4 EmptySun Jul 20, 2014 12:22 am

hey???!!!!.........
Back to top Go down
robotennis61
Guru
robotennis61

PostSubject: Re: Weight Reduction   Weight Reduction - Page 4 EmptySun Jul 20, 2014 12:30 am

charlieRobinson wrote:

turtleman wrote:

robotennis61 wrote:

X2

I am shocked to read you still have factory seats.  dunce

I know.Lots of ideas but nothing quite put together
Back to top Go down
urbsnspices
Fanatic
urbsnspices

Merit : 4

PostSubject: Re: Weight Reduction   Weight Reduction - Page 4 EmptyMon Aug 18, 2014 6:03 pm

Apologies if I missed these in this thread:

Sound deadening in the trunk.  There is about 8-10 square feet of really good sound deadening material in the trunk.  One of the reasons the Riv is like a church in side when stock.  This stuff layered felt/tar/felt.  And there is quite a bit in the trunk. You can replace the thin trunk carpet then and it will look pretty stock.  I wouldnt do it on a daily driver.  

Cross Braces on the rear of the back seat.  There are strips of steel that re-enforce the rear of the back seat.  These could be cut out for a bit of weight savings.  Replace with 2 feet of steel wire.  Savings of 1 square foot of .015 steel.  Worth it?  Prolly not.  Legit excuse to preclude fat chicks from riding in the back.  

Double wall on trunk lid.  Cut out center braces and most of inner wall.  Leave innerwall along the 4 sides.  Savings of dense sound deadening foam and most of the stamped steel inner wall. Worth it? Prolly not. Legit excuse to preclude fat chicks from leaning on trunk lit.
Back to top Go down
AA
Administrator
AA

Name : Aaron
Merit : 252

PostSubject: Re: Weight Reduction   Weight Reduction - Page 4 EmptyMon Aug 18, 2014 7:04 pm

Quote :
Cross Braces on the rear of the back seat. There are strips of steel that re-enforce the rear of the back seat. These could be cut out for a bit of weight savings.

shocked  I'd expect the chassis to flex in the corners. Probably okay for a drag racer, though.

'05 GTO 6.0L • 6-spd • 95k miles • 0-60: 4.8s • 16.9 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:26

'95 Celica GT 2.2L • 5-spd • 165k miles • 0-60: yes

'98 SC Riviera • 281k miles • 298 HP/370 TQ • 0-60: 5.79s • ET: 13.97 @ 99.28 • 4087 lb • 20.1 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:30
3.4" pulley • AL104 plugs • 180º t-stat • FWI w/K&N • 1.9:1 rockers • OR pushrods • LS6 valve springs • SLP headers • ZZP fuel rails
KYB GR2 struts • MaxAir shocks • Addco sway bars • UMI bushings • GM STB • Enkei 18" EV5s w/ Dunlop DZ101s • F-body calipers
EBC bluestuff/Hawk HP plus • SS lines • Brembo slotted discs • DHP tuned • Aeroforce • Hidden Hitch

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown

'70 Ninety-Eight Holiday Coupe 455cid • 116k miles
^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/657082/4
urbsnspices
Fanatic
urbsnspices

Merit : 4

PostSubject: Re: Weight Reduction   Weight Reduction - Page 4 EmptyMon Aug 18, 2014 7:14 pm

AA wrote:

Quote :
Cross Braces on the rear of the back seat.  There are strips of steel that re-enforce the rear of the back seat.  These could be cut out for a bit of weight savings.

shocked  I'd expect the chassis to flex in the corners. Probably okay for a drag racer, though.

No these braces are not structural.  They are only held in place with a twisted tab. (if I remember right) They are behind the upholstery of the rear seat backs in lieu of what you would find on the back of a couch.  (Couch on wheels and all that  tongue )
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Weight Reduction   Weight Reduction - Page 4 Empty

Back to top Go down

Weight Reduction
Page 4 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4