Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

Check Oil Level Light/Sensor

Go down 
+5
J. Chris Davis
Rickw
Eldo
Abaddon
LaFlare
9 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
LaFlare

Name : G
Merit : 2

Check Oil Level Light/Sensor Empty
PostSubject: Check Oil Level Light/Sensor   Check Oil Level Light/Sensor EmptyMon Sep 13, 2010 4:23 pm

didn't realize where i was originally posting for this topic in that other thread was the section for '95 Rivs. decided to just make a thread over here, but mods just tell me whats best i guess.

anyways,
so i decided to finally go under my car and check up on this sensor. but i have a question because i noticed something. i saw this hole with a black piece of rubber hanging, i barely touched it and it came off.

Check Oil Level Light/Sensor 332wbjd

Check Oil Level Light/Sensor 1py0wl

what is this exactly and what was supposed to be there? also that big knob is where the sensor is located? or is it both?
Back to top Go down
Abaddon
Expert
Abaddon

Name : Scott
Merit : 185

PostSubject: Re: Check Oil Level Light/Sensor   Check Oil Level Light/Sensor EmptyMon Sep 13, 2010 4:57 pm

That hole with the rubber is just the vent/drain for the Starter Motor. I wouldn't worry about that rubber being gone, it won't affect anything.

The oil level sensor is mounted in the front of the oil pan. That big plastic "knob" appears to be it. The photo is a lil blurry, but it looks like that's it.

Last edited by Abaddon on Mon Sep 13, 2010 5:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Eldo
Expert
Eldo

Name : Mark
Merit : 104

PostSubject: Re: Check Oil Level Light/Sensor   Check Oil Level Light/Sensor EmptyMon Sep 13, 2010 5:38 pm

I agree with Scott on both counts, but I have 2 questions for you:

- Regarding the starter, do you still normally have the splash shield/air dam in place?
- Regarding the big, beige hex-head, was there a pair of wires connected to it before you took the picture?
Back to top Go down
LaFlare

PostSubject: Re: Check Oil Level Light/Sensor   Check Oil Level Light/Sensor EmptyMon Sep 13, 2010 6:06 pm

^
i really don't even know what you mean by that. i know little to none when it comes to working on cars; even the simplest terms, which i assume that is. oops
and
when i took the picture everything was like that as-is. there was no wires or anything.

....i must be missing some stuff?shocked

if anyone is bored lol or has the time, do you mind snaggin a quick pic of what it's supposed to look like down there?
Back to top Go down
Abaddon
Expert
Abaddon

PostSubject: Re: Check Oil Level Light/Sensor   Check Oil Level Light/Sensor EmptyMon Sep 13, 2010 6:37 pm

Ok. That "knob" that you refer to is where the Oil Level Sender should be. There was, at one point, a 2 wire connector on that "knob". So, yes, you're probably missing somethin that should be there.
Back to top Go down
Eldo
Expert
Eldo

PostSubject: Re: Check Oil Level Light/Sensor   Check Oil Level Light/Sensor EmptyMon Sep 13, 2010 6:47 pm

Well, I just tried to get a photo for you, but with the car on the ground I was shooting blind and just kept getting pics of the starter & solenoid...

Suffice it to say that the beige hex thingy has a 2-terminal electrical connector on the end of it and you need to find the wiring that plugs into it:

Check Oil Level Light/Sensor Repb314801
Back to top Go down
LaFlare

PostSubject: Re: Check Oil Level Light/Sensor   Check Oil Level Light/Sensor EmptyMon Sep 13, 2010 7:08 pm

ahh okay thanks. damn a picture would definitely be helpful for me, just because. also just wanna see what that vent/drain is supposed to look like. if anyone can do that still it would be appreciated. but yeah there was no wires attached. if i were to just buy a replacement, would it come with these said wires? because i have no idea where they are and i am pretty sure they just fell off and are long gone.

i am going to a family-friend's shop tomorrow to get my front pads and rotors replaced, is there a general universal sensor that most places would carry? or u think they wouldn't have it and would just have to order one? if so i should just order it from here? http://www.autopartswarehouse.com/sku/Buick/Riviera/Replacement/Oil_Level_Sensor/1998/Base/6_Cyl_3-dot-8L/REPB314801.html?tlc=Engine+%26+Drivetrain#desc

and what was meant by this?
Eldo wrote:

- Regarding the starter, do you still normally have the splash shield/air dam in place?
if it is what i think, then yeah it is in place always...
Back to top Go down
Abaddon
Expert
Abaddon

PostSubject: Re: Check Oil Level Light/Sensor   Check Oil Level Light/Sensor EmptyMon Sep 13, 2010 7:14 pm

A new sensor will not come with wires. The plug that connects to the sensor is part of the main Engine Harness. I hope those wires didn't get ripped off somehow.
Back to top Go down
LaFlare

PostSubject: Re: Check Oil Level Light/Sensor   Check Oil Level Light/Sensor EmptyMon Sep 13, 2010 7:19 pm

shocked

hmm, i might have to double check, but i didn't see any wires anywhere......
Back to top Go down
Eldo
Expert
Eldo

PostSubject: Re: Check Oil Level Light/Sensor   Check Oil Level Light/Sensor EmptyMon Sep 13, 2010 8:08 pm

LaFlare wrote:
shocked
hmm, i might have to double check, but i didn't see any wires anywhere......

Definitely - get a good light and go poking around from the top and the bottom.
With that photo of the part I posted, you know you're looking for an oval, 2-pin connector
with a 'tang' that snaps into that rectangular slot...
Back to top Go down
Abaddon
Expert
Abaddon

PostSubject: Re: Check Oil Level Light/Sensor   Check Oil Level Light/Sensor EmptyMon Sep 13, 2010 8:58 pm

Eldo wrote:
you know you're looking for an oval, 2-pin connector
with a 'tang' that snaps into that rectangular slot...

with one Brown and one Black wire wink
Back to top Go down
Eldo
Expert
Eldo

PostSubject: Re: Check Oil Level Light/Sensor   Check Oil Level Light/Sensor EmptyTue Sep 14, 2010 2:53 am

Once you get your wires reconnected, I just found some research I did in another thread...

The computer can 'see' the level sensor at all times - at about a half-quart down my scanner can see it switch from OK to LOW after startup, because of the pump-up and the windage. However, just like with the OBD Readiness Tests, there is a set of parameters that must be met before the light is actually turned on... Before & after coolant temps and/or time between ignitions cycles is used to make sure the oil is drained back to the pan before taking the measurement.

If the low reading is valid, the light will stay on up to 7 minutes after the computer makes its decision.
Back to top Go down
Rickw
Guru

Name : Rick
Merit : 119

PostSubject: Re: Check Oil Level Light/Sensor   Check Oil Level Light/Sensor EmptyTue Sep 14, 2010 3:19 am

I thought those things worked without wires and the computer just knew when something was wrong.

Sorry, couldn't help myself. Check Oil Level Light/Sensor Icon_smi

Seriously though, If your bringing it to a shop for other work, have them look for where the harness may be hiding or where it may have been cut off and you can then get the wiring pigtail from an Auto Parts store or the dealer and have the wires spliced back in by soldering and applying heat shrink to protect them from any future corrosion.

Last edited by Rickw on Tue Sep 14, 2010 3:30 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Eldo
Expert
Eldo

PostSubject: Re: Check Oil Level Light/Sensor   Check Oil Level Light/Sensor EmptyTue Sep 14, 2010 3:26 am

Rickw wrote:
I thought those things worked without wires and the computer just knew when something was wrong.
Sorry, couldn't help myself. Check Oil Level Light/Sensor Icon_smi

Oh you Kid! popcorn
Back to top Go down
LaFlare

PostSubject: Re: Check Oil Level Light/Sensor   Check Oil Level Light/Sensor EmptyTue Sep 14, 2010 1:50 pm

couldn't check back last night, too dark. just got done checking this morning, found em! they were reaching for the stars lol, idk the wires were making their way up. got em pulled em down and connected.

thanks for all the help
Back to top Go down
Abaddon
Expert
Abaddon

PostSubject: Re: Check Oil Level Light/Sensor   Check Oil Level Light/Sensor EmptyTue Sep 14, 2010 2:37 pm

Glad to hear you found them!
Back to top Go down
J. Chris Davis
Aficionado
J. Chris Davis

Name : Chris Davis
Merit : 19

PostSubject: Re: Check Oil Level Light/Sensor   Check Oil Level Light/Sensor EmptyTue Sep 28, 2010 10:22 am

I have an Autometer electric oil pressure gauge and sensor. Would this level sensor be the one to replace when installing an electric oil pressure sensor? Or is there another location you can put a oil pressure sensor?
Back to top Go down
Abaddon
Expert
Abaddon

PostSubject: Re: Check Oil Level Light/Sensor   Check Oil Level Light/Sensor EmptyTue Sep 28, 2010 10:59 am

Not quite sure where exactly on the Riv to put the new pressure sensor, but usually they get mounted somewhere on the oil filter adapter. There is usually an adapter to mount inline with one of the oil cooler lines, which has a mounting space for the new sensor and electrical connector.
Simply putting that sensor where the level sensor should be isn't going to turn the "low oil" light off. The PCM still needs to see that sensor......
Back to top Go down
J. Chris Davis
Aficionado
J. Chris Davis

PostSubject: Re: Check Oil Level Light/Sensor   Check Oil Level Light/Sensor EmptyTue Sep 28, 2010 1:10 pm

Ok, thanks. This gives me some info I was not thinking about or aware of.
Back to top Go down
Abaddon
Expert
Abaddon

PostSubject: Re: Check Oil Level Light/Sensor   Check Oil Level Light/Sensor EmptyTue Sep 28, 2010 1:19 pm

Here is a picture just for reference. This IS NOT for the Riv, just a reference as to how an aftermarket unit is generally installed. The wire(s) at the bottom of the unit would go to the new gauge.

Check Oil Level Light/Sensor Gauge_oil_send1
Back to top Go down
J. Chris Davis
Aficionado
J. Chris Davis

PostSubject: Re: Check Oil Level Light/Sensor   Check Oil Level Light/Sensor EmptyTue Sep 28, 2010 1:28 pm

I have hooked up these sending units before, but never on a 3800 Series II. Usually been a Chevy V8, lol. I guess with the pcm needing that sensor I'm not entirely sure where to hook this new sending unit up at.
Back to top Go down
Abaddon
Expert
Abaddon

PostSubject: Re: Check Oil Level Light/Sensor   Check Oil Level Light/Sensor EmptyTue Sep 28, 2010 2:09 pm

Well, the PCM only needs the Level Sensor input. That aftermarket gauge you bought has nothing to do with the PCM. It simply needs power and the gauge. Just find the proper place to mount the sensor, that's all. I'm due for an oil change in the next couple of days. I'll look at it and check for ya.
Back to top Go down
J. Chris Davis
Aficionado
J. Chris Davis

PostSubject: Re: Check Oil Level Light/Sensor   Check Oil Level Light/Sensor EmptyTue Sep 28, 2010 2:15 pm

That's what I had meant. Just needing to find a place to add this sending unit. Also thanks again.
Back to top Go down
dpmeeks
Rookie

Name : Phil
Merit : 1

PostSubject: check oil level light   Check Oil Level Light/Sensor EmptySat Jan 21, 2012 8:51 am

I just purchased this 96 SC Rivie, it has 165k. Ive noticed after its been sitting, and i go and start the "check engine oil level" light stays on for about 30sec. then goes out.

The PO i purchased from said he changed the oil about 500mi ago. Is there a reset or is there a actual problem ? I started it this morning after sitting all night and the light came on and i could hear a rattle sound but not in the motor but more in the air filter box ( i guess its resonating ) and after about the same time the oil light went out the noise went away. The engine sounds very quiet no obvious rattles, knocks, or anything.

Im VERY new to the Rivies so any help would be appreciated ..
Back to top Go down
whit2285
Enthusiast
whit2285

Name : Mike
Merit : 3

PostSubject: Re: Check Oil Level Light/Sensor   Check Oil Level Light/Sensor EmptySat Jan 21, 2012 10:07 am

my 96 does this ,i never really tried to track it down, as my oil level is fine. could be a bad level sensor or connection to the sensor. i don't think they are that expensive and relatively easy to replace. Next time you do the oil do the sensor
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Check Oil Level Light/Sensor   Check Oil Level Light/Sensor Empty

Back to top Go down

Check Oil Level Light/Sensor
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Riv Performance ::   General Tech :: Care & Maintenance-
Jump to: