Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

Voltage Drop

Go down 
+2
LARRY70GS
rivparadise
6 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :
Merit : 180

Voltage Drop - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Voltage Drop   Voltage Drop - Page 2 EmptyFri Feb 24, 2012 12:28 pm

rivparadise wrote:
Exactly where is this thermistor? Looked yesterday, dont know what im lookin for!

On the positive battery cable, can't miss it.
Back to top Go down
rivparadise
Fanatic
rivparadise

Name : Samuel
Merit : 11

PostSubject: Re: Voltage Drop   Voltage Drop - Page 2 EmptyMon Feb 27, 2012 3:01 pm

They swapped alternators and still having voltage drop. Dropped off a new PCM today. Hopefully this will get us closer!
Back to top Go down
http://myspace.com/theacetomato
AA
Administrator
AA

Name : Aaron
Merit : 252

PostSubject: Re: Voltage Drop   Voltage Drop - Page 2 EmptyMon Feb 27, 2012 3:32 pm

They are not charging you for all of these parts are they? It seems they are approaching your situation using a technique we say at work: "throwing shit against the wall to see if it sticks".

'05 GTO 6.0L • 6-spd • 95k miles • 0-60: 4.8s • 16.9 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:26

'95 Celica GT 2.2L • 5-spd • 165k miles • 0-60: yes

'98 SC Riviera • 281k miles • 298 HP/370 TQ • 0-60: 5.79s • ET: 13.97 @ 99.28 • 4087 lb • 20.1 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:30
3.4" pulley • AL104 plugs • 180º t-stat • FWI w/K&N • 1.9:1 rockers • OR pushrods • LS6 valve springs • SLP headers • ZZP fuel rails
KYB GR2 struts • MaxAir shocks • Addco sway bars • UMI bushings • GM STB • Enkei 18" EV5s w/ Dunlop DZ101s • F-body calipers
EBC bluestuff/Hawk HP plus • SS lines • Brembo slotted discs • DHP tuned • Aeroforce • Hidden Hitch

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown

'70 Ninety-Eight Holiday Coupe 455cid • 116k miles
^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/657082/4
deekster_caddy
Master

Name : Derek
Merit : 109

PostSubject: Re: Voltage Drop   Voltage Drop - Page 2 EmptyMon Feb 27, 2012 3:36 pm

I don't think the problem is the charging system or PCM. The PCM can command the alternator to stop charging below a certain RPM. You are saying how the engine is stumbling to low RPM, this tells me the alternator is doing exactly what it's told.

I am more suspicious of a broken wire somewhere near the firewall connector of the engine harness. If, for example, it were the fuel injector signal wire, you would suddenly have the injectors pulsing wildly. Or, if it were the crank sensor wire, it would stumble or cut out completely. Then because of whatever electrical current jumping voodoo, the connection is reestablished and seems to work fine for a while.

Try wiggling the wire harness near the firewall connector, hard. Try spraying it with water. If either of those affects the engine running, you have located your problem.

(I bolded the crank sensor wire comment because why??)
Back to top Go down
rivparadise
Fanatic
rivparadise

PostSubject: Re: Voltage Drop   Voltage Drop - Page 2 EmptyMon Feb 27, 2012 4:39 pm

LOL! I checked and wiggled all harness' and nothing a few weeks ago. So far they have redone all the grounds which were in terrible shape.
They were getting it to cut out when they jiggled the harness in the back seat. Couldn't get it to do it at the firewall. These guys said it's not leaving until it's fixed. I know one mechanic in the shop is getting sick of it but the owner assured me of success!

This one is truly a stumper!
Back to top Go down
rivparadise
Fanatic
rivparadise

PostSubject: Re: Voltage Drop   Voltage Drop - Page 2 EmptyTue Feb 28, 2012 4:36 pm

So far so good! New computer to replace the one with corrosion and a screw loose, all grounds cleaned and or replaced and a few other little things they said were bad. Went for a three hour drive around town today and NO PROBLEMS! I was going to take it home tonight but getting tires put on in the morning so I left it at the shop. The way it worked out was amazing! My friend took care of the bill at the shop and I have to paint his kitchen! Same guy who drove the car to the shop! No more ticking, was low on oil. I get worried sometimes for nothing. Thank you everyone for being so kind online! Hopefully I can put a fork in this one and drive my sweet Jessica!
Back to top Go down
deekster_caddy
Master

PostSubject: Re: Voltage Drop   Voltage Drop - Page 2 EmptyTue Feb 28, 2012 5:03 pm

Glad it's working out for you! The PCM actually being bad is pretty rare.
Back to top Go down
rivparadise
Fanatic
rivparadise

PostSubject: Re: Voltage Drop   Voltage Drop - Page 2 EmptyTue Feb 28, 2012 9:53 pm

It was a replacement. The first time I fried the alternator it put the car in limp mode which caused me to take it to a tranny shop. The guy there knew nothing about this car or limp mode and blamed it on the PCM. Acting on his advise I replaced it. I wish I wouldn't have but Oh Well we all make mistakes! Its hard to know what's inside those things unless you open them up. Notice the nice corrosion! You would have to see it but there is no way this sucker wasn't under water!

Voltage Drop - Page 2 IMG_20120225_103359

Voltage Drop - Page 2 IMG_20120225_103325
Back to top Go down
deekster_caddy
Master

PostSubject: Re: Voltage Drop   Voltage Drop - Page 2 EmptyWed Feb 29, 2012 11:24 am

The '98 - '02 3800 PCMs were interchangable with a reflash. So that PCM might have come from another car where it lived under the air cleaner/exposed to the elements.
Back to top Go down
rivparadise
Fanatic
rivparadise

PostSubject: Re: Voltage Drop   Voltage Drop - Page 2 EmptyThu Mar 01, 2012 8:03 pm

Second day with NO PROBLEMS WHATSOEVER! Woo Hoo! happy
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Voltage Drop   Voltage Drop - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Voltage Drop
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2