Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

coolant in the oil after replacing the intake gasket

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
elh21566
Rookie

Name : Eric
Merit : 1

coolant in the oil after replacing the intake gasket  Empty
PostSubject: coolant in the oil after replacing the intake gasket    coolant in the oil after replacing the intake gasket  EmptyTue Feb 28, 2012 7:29 pm

Ok here is the story my 95 Rivera would shut down so I started looking around and found I had a fuel pump issue and the tabs were bad and I had oil leaking from the intake so I decided to repair the intake myself then get the gas tank taken care of so I replaced the gasket and changed the oil in the supercharger. After I put it back together I sent It out to Have a new fuel tank and pump installed. After they started it up coolant was rapidly filling the oil pan. My assumption is that I missed something I checked vacuum lines to make sure I did not hook something up wrong and it was good. So I pulled the supercharger off and did find 1 of the orings distorted. I think that was the cause but is there anything else I should check? I did drop the pan and clean it out and plan to run it with a qt of ATF until it warms up to clean it out there was a lot of residue in the pan but no metal in the filter. The mechanic that changed the tank said I should have used sealant on the bolts that hold the intake in place but it does not look like they could cause this.
Back to top Go down
robotennis61
Guru
robotennis61

Name : robotennis
Merit : 143

PostSubject: Re: coolant in the oil after replacing the intake gasket    coolant in the oil after replacing the intake gasket  EmptyTue Feb 28, 2012 7:50 pm

why would you run ATF in the engine? to clean it out? I never heard of that?maybe I have but Didnt think it a good idea at the time..I still dont.ATF has friction additives in it.engines dont like/want friction.

Back to top Go down
elh21566
Rookie

PostSubject: Re: coolant in the oil after replacing the intake gasket    coolant in the oil after replacing the intake gasket  EmptyTue Feb 28, 2012 8:02 pm

The 2 sugestions I had was to run either 25% to 50% ATF or diesel until the engine warmed up and I had spare ATF so I figured I would use it
Back to top Go down
robotennis61
Guru
robotennis61

Name : robotennis
Merit : 143

PostSubject: Re: coolant in the oil after replacing the intake gasket    coolant in the oil after replacing the intake gasket  EmptyTue Feb 28, 2012 9:13 pm

oh...dont.if you have to use a cleaner,use Gunk engine flush.if youve allready used the ATF,let us know how it went
Back to top Go down
deekster_caddy
Master

Name : Derek
Merit : 109

PostSubject: Re: coolant in the oil after replacing the intake gasket    coolant in the oil after replacing the intake gasket  EmptyTue Feb 28, 2012 9:47 pm

The O-ring was most likely the problem. Just drain/change the oil like normal after. If you had a LOT of coolant in the oil you may need to change the oil more than once.
Back to top Go down
elh21566
Rookie

PostSubject: Re: coolant in the oil after replacing the intake gasket    coolant in the oil after replacing the intake gasket  EmptyThu Mar 01, 2012 6:33 pm

Ok the oring fixed the coolant in the oil and after changing the oil the second time that issue is taken care of. Now I have an electrical issue the fan is always running and the tach is not working I can’t find anything disconnected or blown fuses any Ideas?
Back to top Go down
LARRY70GS
Aficionado
LARRY70GS

Name : Larry
Merit : 149

PostSubject: Re: coolant in the oil after replacing the intake gasket    coolant in the oil after replacing the intake gasket  EmptyThu Mar 01, 2012 6:35 pm

Look for a ground you missed or broke.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UHCda-t_Jls
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sfT2tEO4XcU
Back to top Go down
manofmany
Addict

Name : manofmany
Merit : 5

PostSubject: Re: coolant in the oil after replacing the intake gasket    coolant in the oil after replacing the intake gasket  EmptyFri Mar 02, 2012 8:42 pm

robotennis61 wrote:
oh...dont.if you have to use a cleaner,use Gunk engine flush.if youve allready used the ATF,let us know how it went

ATF is fine. Gunk engine cleaner is basically kerosene. I personally flush my engines using a kerosene/oil mix.
Back to top Go down
elh21566
Rookie

PostSubject: Re: coolant in the oil after replacing the intake gasket    coolant in the oil after replacing the intake gasket  EmptyThu Mar 15, 2012 7:51 pm

Well here is the update the coolant in the oil was from the yellow oring under the supercharger there was a coolant leak coming from the coolant pipe on out of the intake new oring corrected that. I used the atf and ran it until warm then changed the oil nice and clean. The electrical short was from a wire in the driver’s door it was blowing a fuse.it was for the light I taped it up problem solved at some time I may go back and rerun the light. I am taking it out for a 100 mile round trip in the morning I put a can of seafoam in the fuel and I am going to change the oil when I get back.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: coolant in the oil after replacing the intake gasket    coolant in the oil after replacing the intake gasket  Empty

Back to top Go down

coolant in the oil after replacing the intake gasket
Page 1 of 1