Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

Write-Up: Front/Rear (Addco) Stabilizer/Sway Bar Installation

Go down 
+40
Johnny5
69GSColorado
al_roethlisberger
highwaywarrior
charlieRobinson
RidzRiv
Natesriv
pbrktrt
J. Chris Davis
flyineagle96
brutusk1
Jamax
97 park ave
ghpcnm
Ash
albertj
Abaddon
robotennis61
TonySmooth89
sdconcepts
Mr.Riviera
DEMonte1997
EatDirtFartDust
turtleman
napalmpt
Rickw
Buapo
deekster_caddy
Face
ewolfe0050
jax95riv
Jack the R
oldsman105
racinfan
1998 Riv
98riv
Jason
AA
44 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 14 ... 22  Next
AuthorMessage
deekster_caddy
Master

Name : Derek
Merit : 109

Write-Up: Front/Rear (Addco) Stabilizer/Sway Bar Installation - Page 6 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Front/Rear (Addco) Stabilizer/Sway Bar Installation   Write-Up: Front/Rear (Addco) Stabilizer/Sway Bar Installation - Page 6 EmptyTue May 20, 2008 10:23 pm

Caddy STS

update: 3rd time the charm. This time my Addco front bar went in as expected. Handling is greatly improved. Combined with the rear bar and STB, this car handles great! It's no corvette, but it's still very comfortable and stays very flat in the turns.

I'm very happy with it.

Last edited by deekster_caddy on Wed May 21, 2008 2:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
AA
Administrator
AA

Name : Aaron
Merit : 252

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Front/Rear (Addco) Stabilizer/Sway Bar Installation   Write-Up: Front/Rear (Addco) Stabilizer/Sway Bar Installation - Page 6 EmptyWed May 21, 2008 12:51 pm

I just got around to putting the rear bar on yesterday. I'm not blown away by it, bit I think there is significant improvement. The car seems to roll just a little less in a hard turn. Part of this, no doubt, is psychological, but a another part is based on the physics of the bar being so much heavier and robust.

I also used the set of hard rubber insulators that Addco fabbed for me. I'd say go ask John at Addco to make you a set, but they were just barely harder than stock. I don't think they really change anything, not worth waiting for, imo. I have a set of stock Cadillac insulators (thanks, Dave) here that I'll ship to anyone that needs them for the install.

Install was a breeze. Will post up pics soon.

'05 GTO 6.0L • 6-spd • 95k miles • 0-60: 4.8s • 16.9 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:26

'95 Celica GT 2.2L • 5-spd • 165k miles • 0-60: yes

'98 SC Riviera • 281k miles • 298 HP/370 TQ • 0-60: 5.79s • ET: 13.97 @ 99.28 • 4087 lb • 20.1 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:30
3.4" pulley • AL104 plugs • 180º t-stat • FWI w/K&N • 1.9:1 rockers • OR pushrods • LS6 valve springs • SLP headers • ZZP fuel rails
KYB GR2 struts • MaxAir shocks • Addco sway bars • UMI bushings • GM STB • Enkei 18" EV5s w/ Dunlop DZ101s • F-body calipers
EBC bluestuff/Hawk HP plus • SS lines • Brembo slotted discs • DHP tuned • Aeroforce • Hidden Hitch

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown

'70 Ninety-Eight Holiday Coupe 455cid • 116k miles
^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/657082/4
Buapo
Addict
Buapo

Name : Ben
Merit : 2

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Front/Rear (Addco) Stabilizer/Sway Bar Installation   Write-Up: Front/Rear (Addco) Stabilizer/Sway Bar Installation - Page 6 EmptyTue Jul 01, 2008 1:28 am

I was looking at the 5th post on page one of this thread - the links and bushings for the front.

Where can I get a nice set like Turtle used to replace his? Are those poly?

Also, the installation can be done without dropping anything, correct? I figure I'll just do these at the same time as the front struts.
Back to top Go down
Buapo
Addict
Buapo

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Front/Rear (Addco) Stabilizer/Sway Bar Installation   Write-Up: Front/Rear (Addco) Stabilizer/Sway Bar Installation - Page 6 EmptySun Aug 31, 2008 9:51 pm

I'm looking to do the rear stabilizer bar, is Addco still selling these?

Isn't it possible for me to use the rear stabilizer bar from some Cadillac instead of the addco?

And I'm guessing whatever poly bushings and links that Energy sells will be just fine.
Back to top Go down
Buapo
Addict
Buapo

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Front/Rear (Addco) Stabilizer/Sway Bar Installation   Write-Up: Front/Rear (Addco) Stabilizer/Sway Bar Installation - Page 6 EmptyMon Sep 01, 2008 12:31 pm

Okay, apparently Energy doesn't sell any bushings or links for our car.

I guess I'll have to keep looking.
Back to top Go down
1998 Riv
Expert
1998 Riv

Name : Dave
Merit : 44

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Front/Rear (Addco) Stabilizer/Sway Bar Installation   Write-Up: Front/Rear (Addco) Stabilizer/Sway Bar Installation - Page 6 EmptyTue Sep 02, 2008 12:43 am

We didn't buy the bars directly from Addco. It was a group buy thru... hmmm, I forget the name of the place. Search the forum for "Addco", it should turn up.
Back to top Go down
Buapo
Addict
Buapo

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Front/Rear (Addco) Stabilizer/Sway Bar Installation   Write-Up: Front/Rear (Addco) Stabilizer/Sway Bar Installation - Page 6 EmptyTue Sep 02, 2008 4:04 am

In that case, the Caddy STS rear stabilizer bar should do just fine.

I don't plan on upgrading the front bar (due to difficulty of installation and laziness) so I'm going to do the back as cheap as I can.
Back to top Go down
1998 Riv
Expert
1998 Riv

Name : Dave
Merit : 44

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Front/Rear (Addco) Stabilizer/Sway Bar Installation   Write-Up: Front/Rear (Addco) Stabilizer/Sway Bar Installation - Page 6 EmptyTue Sep 02, 2008 9:45 am

I was thinking about that rear Caddy bar also, since I resold my Addco front and rear bars. Don't really want to mess with the front bar installation, but also need to be wary of over stiffening the rear. Need to have balance...
Back to top Go down
Rickw
Guru

Name : Rick
Merit : 119

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Front/Rear (Addco) Stabilizer/Sway Bar Installation   Write-Up: Front/Rear (Addco) Stabilizer/Sway Bar Installation - Page 6 EmptyWed Sep 24, 2008 10:31 pm

I'm interested in ordering Addco sway bars for my car, but after reading the various threads regarding this subject I'm concerned about getting the proper bushings and end links for the oversize bars. It appears y'all did a group buy some time back direct from Addco with a few issues. I looked at their site and they don't sell direct but refer to other vendor's. The only one that lists the Riviera is Swaybars.com from what I could tell and they have have a disclaimer on the rear bar not coming with all necessary hardware to install, which i interpret to mean the bushings and links are not part of the purchase. I could be wrong. Does anyone have any experience buying sway bars from this company? Do I have to buy the bushings and links for the oversize rear elsewhere? I would like to order these and install soon before the weather gets too cold! Winter is coming in these parts. If anyone has any info or advise from experience I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks
Back to top Go down
AA
Administrator
AA

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Front/Rear (Addco) Stabilizer/Sway Bar Installation   Write-Up: Front/Rear (Addco) Stabilizer/Sway Bar Installation - Page 6 EmptyThu Sep 25, 2008 9:14 am

Rick, try calling Brad (info above) and see if he can still get the bar from Addco. The front poly bushings were wrong at first, but they fixed the problem with a spacer and new brackets. You can also use stock rubber bushings for the front.

The rear bar uses a Cadillac STS rubber bushing. I have two that I can send you if you find yourself in a bind.

'05 GTO 6.0L • 6-spd • 95k miles • 0-60: 4.8s • 16.9 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:26

'98 SC Riviera • 281k miles • 298 HP/370 TQ • 0-60: 5.79s • ET: 13.97 @ 99.28 • 4087 lb • 20.1 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:30
3.4" pulley • AL104 plugs • 180º t-stat • FWI w/K&N • 1.9:1 rockers • OR pushrods • LS6 valve springs • SLP headers • ZZP fuel rails
KYB GR2 struts • MaxAir shocks • Addco sway bars • UMI bushings • GM STB • Enkei 18" EV5s w/ Dunlop DZ101s • F-body calipers
EBC bluestuff/Hawk HP plus • SS lines • Brembo slotted discs • DHP tuned • Aeroforce • Hidden Hitch

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown
Back to top Go down
Rickw
Guru

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Front/Rear (Addco) Stabilizer/Sway Bar Installation   Write-Up: Front/Rear (Addco) Stabilizer/Sway Bar Installation - Page 6 EmptyThu Sep 25, 2008 9:53 am

Thanks,
I appreciate the info. I'll let you know how it all turns out for anyone else considering doing this mod.
Back to top Go down
deekster_caddy
Master

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Front/Rear (Addco) Stabilizer/Sway Bar Installation   Write-Up: Front/Rear (Addco) Stabilizer/Sway Bar Installation - Page 6 EmptyThu Sep 25, 2008 11:49 am

AA wrote:
Rick, try calling Brad (info above) and see if he can still get the bar from Addco. The front poly bushings were wrong at first, but they fixed the problem with a spacer and new brackets. You can also use stock rubber bushings for the front.

The rear bar uses a Cadillac STS rubber bushing. I have two that I can send you if you find yourself in a bind.

Just FYI when I did my front and rear bars in January the rears did come with the right sized bushings (rubber though). The fronts did come with the correct brackets and spacer plates needed as well.
Back to top Go down
Rickw
Guru

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Front/Rear (Addco) Stabilizer/Sway Bar Installation   Write-Up: Front/Rear (Addco) Stabilizer/Sway Bar Installation - Page 6 EmptyThu Sep 25, 2008 3:37 pm

Haven't contacted Brad yet, but FYI, the cost of sway bar kits from Swaybars.com is:
Front Kit = $260.20
Rear = $185.80
Total with shipping = $457.80
Are these prices in line with what you all paid from Brad?
Could someone take a look at this site (Swaybars.com) and tell me what you think. P/N's listed for 97-01 Riviera are K2-018-OU and K2-015-OU.
Confused about 2001 Riv.
Thanks
Back to top Go down
deekster_caddy
Master

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Front/Rear (Addco) Stabilizer/Sway Bar Installation   Write-Up: Front/Rear (Addco) Stabilizer/Sway Bar Installation - Page 6 EmptyThu Sep 25, 2008 3:57 pm

That's a steep markup, and the swaybar PNs don't match what I recall from Addco. Maybe they are not Addco swaybars? I think I paid $250 for the pair of sway bars. I do recall Brad telling me that Addco was raising prices for '08, but not that much!

Call brad!
Back to top Go down
deekster_caddy
Master

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Front/Rear (Addco) Stabilizer/Sway Bar Installation   Write-Up: Front/Rear (Addco) Stabilizer/Sway Bar Installation - Page 6 EmptyThu Sep 25, 2008 3:59 pm

Quote :
REAR 7/8" SWAY BAR FOR A 1996-2003 BUICK ELECTRA, PARK AVENUE (FWD); 1997-2001 RIVIERA, WILDCAT

I'm not sure I'd buy anything from this site if that's their description of the Riviera sway bars...
Back to top Go down
Rickw
Guru

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Front/Rear (Addco) Stabilizer/Sway Bar Installation   Write-Up: Front/Rear (Addco) Stabilizer/Sway Bar Installation - Page 6 EmptyThu Sep 25, 2008 4:10 pm

I will contact Brad, Thanks.
BTW, I clicked Contact Us on that site and it says they are Addco Industries/SwayBars.com
Back to top Go down
Rickw
Guru

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Front/Rear (Addco) Stabilizer/Sway Bar Installation   Write-Up: Front/Rear (Addco) Stabilizer/Sway Bar Installation - Page 6 EmptyThu Sep 25, 2008 6:01 pm

I recieved a return e-mail from Brad ( very prompt) regarding the sway bars.
Qutote: " I don't know if the bushing issue for the Riv's was ever sorted out. I don't believe Addco is sending bushings with the bars anymore for that Kit. " end Quote
Can order the bars for $320.00 including shipping though.
I'll probably order them soon and see what I get and sort throught the bushing and end link situation after.
Back to top Go down
ewolfe0050
Aficionado
ewolfe0050

Name : Eric
Merit : 27

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Front/Rear (Addco) Stabilizer/Sway Bar Installation   Write-Up: Front/Rear (Addco) Stabilizer/Sway Bar Installation - Page 6 EmptyThu Sep 25, 2008 8:31 pm

Rick- you can get Energy Suspension bushings for the front and make a very simple back bracket too. It the bushings are fairly cheap from ES and the back bracket is pennies and very simple to do. I'll try to track down the part number for the fronts.

Got the email and will respond this weekend when I have a little time.
Back to top Go down
Rickw
Guru

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Front/Rear (Addco) Stabilizer/Sway Bar Installation   Write-Up: Front/Rear (Addco) Stabilizer/Sway Bar Installation - Page 6 EmptyThu Sep 25, 2008 10:04 pm

Thanks Eric,
I think I've read through most of the threads on the sway bars and relived all the shit everyone has gone through. I might of missed a few things though! I made a note from an earlier entry, that I think you made, P/N for Energy Suspensin front greasable bushing 9.5165.
Haven't researched thier site yet.
Did see photo of someone's install and the spacer or shim looked like nothing more than a piece of steel that fits under bushing, easy to make, yes? How thick?
Thanks again.
Rick
Back to top Go down
ewolfe0050
Aficionado
ewolfe0050

Name : Eric
Merit : 27

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Front/Rear (Addco) Stabilizer/Sway Bar Installation   Write-Up: Front/Rear (Addco) Stabilizer/Sway Bar Installation - Page 6 EmptyThu Sep 25, 2008 10:20 pm

Quote :
greasable bushing 9.5165
That's the one for the front bushings.

As far as the backing plate- go to a local hardware shop and most all have long thin (approx 1.5") strips of sheet metal. 1/8" is plenty good for thickness. Use the ES bushing as a template to cut to length and locations of the bolt holes.
Back to top Go down
deekster_caddy
Master

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Front/Rear (Addco) Stabilizer/Sway Bar Installation   Write-Up: Front/Rear (Addco) Stabilizer/Sway Bar Installation - Page 6 EmptyThu Sep 25, 2008 11:35 pm

That front bushing and plate come with the addco sway bar. I actually have two sets if anyone need them PM me. It took 3 shipments to get me a front sway bar that fit, and they didn't have me return any of them, just told me to throw them out. Anyway, I have two more sets of front bushings from Addco. They are poly and have the plates that go underneath. They are too large a diameter for a stock bar, but if you have an addco bar and need the right front bushings let me know.

-Derek
Back to top Go down
Rickw
Guru

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Front/Rear (Addco) Stabilizer/Sway Bar Installation   Write-Up: Front/Rear (Addco) Stabilizer/Sway Bar Installation - Page 6 EmptyFri Sep 26, 2008 5:40 am

Thanks Derik,
I 'll probably need a pair. I'll see what comes with the Bars and let you know.
THANKS,
Rick
Back to top Go down
Rickw
Guru

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Front/Rear (Addco) Stabilizer/Sway Bar Installation   Write-Up: Front/Rear (Addco) Stabilizer/Sway Bar Installation - Page 6 EmptyFri Sep 26, 2008 7:09 am

I still could use some help with finding Quality Bar End Links, if anybody could tell me a source I would appreciate it very much.
And am I correct in assuming you all are satisfied with the rear GM bushings P/N 25666235?
Back to top Go down
AA
Administrator
AA

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Front/Rear (Addco) Stabilizer/Sway Bar Installation   Write-Up: Front/Rear (Addco) Stabilizer/Sway Bar Installation - Page 6 EmptyFri Sep 26, 2008 8:24 am

Quote :
And am I correct in assuming you all are satisfied with the rear GM bushings P/N 25666235?

I wasn't. I wanted poly. Addco worked with me to create some 'harder' versions from Ford bushings. I used them, but I they weren't as hard as I wanted. I offered to work with a molding service to knock out some poly casts for $12, both not enough interest to pursue.

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown
Back to top Go down
Rickw
Guru

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Front/Rear (Addco) Stabilizer/Sway Bar Installation   Write-Up: Front/Rear (Addco) Stabilizer/Sway Bar Installation - Page 6 EmptyFri Sep 26, 2008 8:29 am

So, if the new swaybars don't come with bushings should i just use the GM ones I mentioned.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Front/Rear (Addco) Stabilizer/Sway Bar Installation   Write-Up: Front/Rear (Addco) Stabilizer/Sway Bar Installation - Page 6 Empty

Back to top Go down

Write-Up: Front/Rear (Addco) Stabilizer/Sway Bar Installation
Page 6 of 22Go to page : Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 14 ... 22  Next