Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

Write-Up: Front/Rear (Addco) Stabilizer/Sway Bar Installation

Go down 
+40
Johnny5
69GSColorado
al_roethlisberger
highwaywarrior
charlieRobinson
RidzRiv
Natesriv
pbrktrt
J. Chris Davis
flyineagle96
brutusk1
Jamax
97 park ave
ghpcnm
Ash
albertj
Abaddon
robotennis61
TonySmooth89
sdconcepts
Mr.Riviera
DEMonte1997
EatDirtFartDust
turtleman
napalmpt
Rickw
Buapo
deekster_caddy
Face
ewolfe0050
jax95riv
Jack the R
oldsman105
racinfan
1998 Riv
98riv
Jason
AA
44 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 13 ... 22  Next
AuthorMessage
AA
Administrator
AA

Name : Aaron
Merit : 252

sway - Write-Up: Front/Rear (Addco) Stabilizer/Sway Bar Installation - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Front/Rear (Addco) Stabilizer/Sway Bar Installation   sway - Write-Up: Front/Rear (Addco) Stabilizer/Sway Bar Installation - Page 4 EmptySun Sep 02, 2007 4:29 pm

Regarding the stabilizer bushings, I called John. He seems to very helpful so far. He's sending out front bushings now, and rears as soon as he can determine which ones. You were right, Jason. Good service from Addco.

'05 GTO 6.0L • 6-spd • 95k miles • 0-60: 4.8s • 16.9 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:26

'95 Celica GT 2.2L • 5-spd • 165k miles • 0-60: yes

'98 SC Riviera • 281k miles • 298 HP/370 TQ • 0-60: 5.79s • ET: 13.97 @ 99.28 • 4087 lb • 20.1 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:30
3.4" pulley • AL104 plugs • 180º t-stat • FWI w/K&N • 1.9:1 rockers • OR pushrods • LS6 valve springs • SLP headers • ZZP fuel rails
KYB GR2 struts • MaxAir shocks • Addco sway bars • UMI bushings • GM STB • Enkei 18" EV5s w/ Dunlop DZ101s • F-body calipers
EBC bluestuff/Hawk HP plus • SS lines • Brembo slotted discs • DHP tuned • Aeroforce • Hidden Hitch

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown

'70 Ninety-Eight Holiday Coupe 455cid • 116k miles
^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/657082/4
Jason
Aficionado
Jason

Name : Jason
Merit : 65

sway - Write-Up: Front/Rear (Addco) Stabilizer/Sway Bar Installation - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Front/Rear (Addco) Stabilizer/Sway Bar Installation   sway - Write-Up: Front/Rear (Addco) Stabilizer/Sway Bar Installation - Page 4 EmptySun Sep 02, 2007 5:55 pm

rear bushings are gm # 25666235
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/id/Doctor_Meltdown
AA
Administrator
AA

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Front/Rear (Addco) Stabilizer/Sway Bar Installation   sway - Write-Up: Front/Rear (Addco) Stabilizer/Sway Bar Installation - Page 4 EmptySun Sep 02, 2007 6:59 pm

Yes, I have a pair of those (thanks, Dave). John is going to work with me to find a harder rear bushing like on the fronts.

I was going to use the softer 25666235s because I have stock rubber ones on the front right now. But since John is sending me harder ones for the front, it doesn't make sense to use the soft ones on the back, right?

'05 GTO 6.0L • 6-spd • 95k miles • 0-60: 4.8s • 16.9 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:26

'98 SC Riviera • 281k miles • 298 HP/370 TQ • 0-60: 5.79s • ET: 13.97 @ 99.28 • 4087 lb • 20.1 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:30
3.4" pulley • AL104 plugs • 180º t-stat • FWI w/K&N • 1.9:1 rockers • OR pushrods • LS6 valve springs • SLP headers • ZZP fuel rails
KYB GR2 struts • MaxAir shocks • Addco sway bars • UMI bushings • GM STB • Enkei 18" EV5s w/ Dunlop DZ101s • F-body calipers
EBC bluestuff/Hawk HP plus • SS lines • Brembo slotted discs • DHP tuned • Aeroforce • Hidden Hitch

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown
Back to top Go down
1998 Riv
Expert
1998 Riv

Name : Dave
Merit : 44

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Front/Rear (Addco) Stabilizer/Sway Bar Installation   sway - Write-Up: Front/Rear (Addco) Stabilizer/Sway Bar Installation - Page 4 EmptySun Sep 02, 2007 8:13 pm

So I wonder why he's ignored my 2 faxed requests, directed to him specifically? Good service from Addco would be if they'd done this for all of us as soon as they had Jason's deal all figured out for the front. We should not each have to ask for this individually. IN FACT, Never Enough Auto should be taking care of this, not us.
Back to top Go down
AA
Administrator
AA

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Front/Rear (Addco) Stabilizer/Sway Bar Installation   sway - Write-Up: Front/Rear (Addco) Stabilizer/Sway Bar Installation - Page 4 EmptyMon Sep 03, 2007 5:50 am

Agree, but Never Enough isn't taking care of this, and someone should be. I left a voice mail for John on Thursday afternoon, and Friday morning he called me back. With those faxes, you never know what might've happened there. But I'm going to work with him while I have the chance. If any one else needs anything from Addco, speak now. Maybe we can help you out. John seems legit from talking over the phone.

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown
Back to top Go down
Jason
Aficionado
Jason

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Front/Rear (Addco) Stabilizer/Sway Bar Installation   sway - Write-Up: Front/Rear (Addco) Stabilizer/Sway Bar Installation - Page 4 EmptyMon Sep 03, 2007 10:03 am

the orange bushings are a much higher durometer than the stock green ones. I like rubber bushings myself as they don't squeek.

Due to the design of the bracket, I think the orange bushings are more than adequate. The bracket that holds the rear bushings is only held on by a single bolt. Unless you use a different bracket (shaped like U, with 2 bolts) you're still going to get a little bit of give, even with very hard bushings.
Back to top Go down
AA
Administrator
AA

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Front/Rear (Addco) Stabilizer/Sway Bar Installation   sway - Write-Up: Front/Rear (Addco) Stabilizer/Sway Bar Installation - Page 4 EmptyMon Sep 03, 2007 12:02 pm

I'm holding an orange bushing in one hand, and green in the other. They seem to be made of the exact same black rubber. When I put them in both in a C-clamp, they compress at the same rate. Only difference is, orange fits a bigger bar with the same bracket, so there's a little less material to move. That means less travel for the bar, but only in the amount of a few millimeters difference.

John recommends harder bushings for the font and back, which makes sense. I've stock rubber bushings up front right now, and John says they need to go. It only makes sense to do the same to the rears, imo.

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown
Back to top Go down
Jack the R
Master
Jack the R

Merit : 105

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Front/Rear (Addco) Stabilizer/Sway Bar Installation   sway - Write-Up: Front/Rear (Addco) Stabilizer/Sway Bar Installation - Page 4 EmptyMon Sep 03, 2007 1:22 pm

Jason wrote:

Due to the design of the bracket, I think the orange bushings are more than adequate. The bracket that holds the rear bushings is only held on by a single bolt. Unless you use a different bracket (shaped like U, with 2 bolts) you're still going to get a little bit of give, even with very hard bushings.

Camlifter said his nylon bushings, with the stock sway bars, were a bigger improvement than the Rancho shocks. Putting Aaron's comments, Camlifter's comments, and my experience with Rancho handling together suggests the nylon bushing mod does as much if not more to improve handling than the Addco bars. I'd defnitely get harder bushings in there.
Back to top Go down
Jason
Aficionado
Jason

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Front/Rear (Addco) Stabilizer/Sway Bar Installation   sway - Write-Up: Front/Rear (Addco) Stabilizer/Sway Bar Installation - Page 4 EmptyMon Sep 03, 2007 1:50 pm

maybe it's because the orange ones were new, but they felt harder to me. Perhaps they are made of the same material.

I know a firmer bushing is ideal, but keep in mind non-greasable poly bushings will sqeak and it will drive you berzerk. I used energy suspension greasable poly bushings for the front and I am aware that they are there. If ever you find a firmer bushing for the back, let me know.

Also, I don't think you can combine three subjective opinions to come to such a conclusion. We'd have to drive a car with stock swaybars and nylon bushings back to back with a car setup with the upg swaybars to see.
Back to top Go down
Jack the R
Master
Jack the R

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Front/Rear (Addco) Stabilizer/Sway Bar Installation   sway - Write-Up: Front/Rear (Addco) Stabilizer/Sway Bar Installation - Page 4 EmptyMon Sep 03, 2007 9:16 pm

Sometimes you've got to do the best you can. I could visit my grandparents in Dayton and compare rides with Aaron, but we've got different tire and shock setups.
Back to top Go down
jax95riv
Aficionado
jax95riv

Name : Jack
Merit : 6

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Front/Rear (Addco) Stabilizer/Sway Bar Installation   sway - Write-Up: Front/Rear (Addco) Stabilizer/Sway Bar Installation - Page 4 EmptyTue Sep 04, 2007 6:21 pm

AA wrote:
Agree, but Never Enough isn't taking care of this, and someone should be. I left a voice mail for John on Thursday afternoon, and Friday morning he called me back. With those faxes, you never know what might've happened there. But I'm going to work with him while I have the chance. If any one else needs anything from Addco, speak now. Maybe we can help you out. John seems legit from talking over the phone.

Hey Aaron, I still need the front bushings. Any help is greatly appreciated!
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/468780
ewolfe0050
Aficionado
ewolfe0050

Name : Eric
Merit : 27

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Front/Rear (Addco) Stabilizer/Sway Bar Installation   sway - Write-Up: Front/Rear (Addco) Stabilizer/Sway Bar Installation - Page 4 EmptyTue Sep 04, 2007 8:16 pm

I had the same problem. Best just to spend the 23$ on Energy Suspensions grease-able (part9.5165) and avoid the headache.
Back to top Go down
Jason
Aficionado
Jason

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Front/Rear (Addco) Stabilizer/Sway Bar Installation   sway - Write-Up: Front/Rear (Addco) Stabilizer/Sway Bar Installation - Page 4 EmptyWed Sep 05, 2007 10:24 am

that's what I used for the front, but you need a mounting plate (or a spacer plate) or the bottom of the bushing will "float" in the recess in the subframe. I used the plate addco sends you with their poly bushings & bracket because it won't rust.

I originally had planned to mount a pair of energy 9.5158 greasable 22mm in the back, it is lower on my priority list than doing my headers & exhaust on the riviera. Then I have to get the old winter beater (roadmaster) ready by swapping in some 3.42s, 2800 stall and some RRs smile

The problem is there is only one bolt hole in the riv.
Back to top Go down
AA
Administrator
AA

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Front/Rear (Addco) Stabilizer/Sway Bar Installation   sway - Write-Up: Front/Rear (Addco) Stabilizer/Sway Bar Installation - Page 4 EmptyWed Sep 12, 2007 11:21 am

Received my urethane bushings, plates, and brackets from Addco a couple days ago. Installed the passenger side without needing to jack up the car (due to rain, need to do the driver side soon!). Just cranked the wheel and pulled back the fender well cover to gain access to the bushing. Everything fits, but needed to grind out the supplied bracket holes to accept the OEM bolts. Other than that, it went well.

I was surprised at how the new bracket and spacer were sized so that the bar's original geometry in relation to the frame is preserved almost perfectly, sharing the same axis as with the stock bushing. In other words, after I removed my OEM bracket and bushing, the spacer slid right in (had to jack up the bar a few mm) and clamped the bracket down without any alignment problems.

Here are the brackets + bushings:

sway - Write-Up: Front/Rear (Addco) Stabilizer/Sway Bar Installation - Page 4 BushBRACK1

Here is one side installed:

sway - Write-Up: Front/Rear (Addco) Stabilizer/Sway Bar Installation - Page 4 BushBRACK2

John at Addco has located a hard bushing that will fit the rear. Still waiting on these to come in. John has been very helpful thus far in finding/distributing the parts we need.

Jack (jax95), I've mentioned your needs to John; you should be receiving parts shortly. I have an extra set of bushings that I can send you. I'll have John send you the brackets to fit them. If I can get them, did you need the rears as well?

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown
Back to top Go down
Jason
Aficionado
Jason

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Front/Rear (Addco) Stabilizer/Sway Bar Installation   sway - Write-Up: Front/Rear (Addco) Stabilizer/Sway Bar Installation - Page 4 EmptyWed Sep 12, 2007 4:41 pm

is he aware of the special shape of the rear clamp (single bolt)? should I give him a call to get these bushings myself?
Back to top Go down
AA
Administrator
AA

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Front/Rear (Addco) Stabilizer/Sway Bar Installation   sway - Write-Up: Front/Rear (Addco) Stabilizer/Sway Bar Installation - Page 4 EmptyWed Sep 12, 2007 4:49 pm

Yes, I sent pictures of the clamp to John. He's found some Ford bushings that will work, but they need bored out. Not sure if we'll get new clamps/brackets or not. If you PM me your mailing address, I will request the parts be sent out to you.

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown
Back to top Go down
jax95riv
Aficionado
jax95riv

Name : Jack
Merit : 6

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Front/Rear (Addco) Stabilizer/Sway Bar Installation   sway - Write-Up: Front/Rear (Addco) Stabilizer/Sway Bar Installation - Page 4 EmptyWed Sep 12, 2007 5:11 pm

Quote :
Jack (jax95), I've mentioned your needs to John;
you should be receiving parts shortly. I have an extra set of bushings
that I can send you. I'll have John send you the brackets to fit them.
If I can get them, did you need the rears as well?

No sir, I just need the front. I appreciate the help!
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/468780
AA
Administrator
AA

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Front/Rear (Addco) Stabilizer/Sway Bar Installation   sway - Write-Up: Front/Rear (Addco) Stabilizer/Sway Bar Installation - Page 4 EmptyThu Sep 20, 2007 10:01 am

Jack, I'll be sending you a set of bushings by the weekend. John at Addco is sending you the brackets today.

John says the rear bushings are still being checked for fit, should be sending out soon.

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown
Back to top Go down
oldsman105
Junkie
oldsman105

Name : Enrique Patino
Merit : 10

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Front/Rear (Addco) Stabilizer/Sway Bar Installation   sway - Write-Up: Front/Rear (Addco) Stabilizer/Sway Bar Installation - Page 4 EmptyThu Sep 20, 2007 1:50 pm

Did you see a part# so incase others want to get these we wouldn't have to go threw Addco?
Back to top Go down
AA
Administrator
AA

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Front/Rear (Addco) Stabilizer/Sway Bar Installation   sway - Write-Up: Front/Rear (Addco) Stabilizer/Sway Bar Installation - Page 4 EmptyThu Sep 20, 2007 1:53 pm

These are Addco parts. When I said Ford bushings, I meant Addco bushings made for a Ford application. If you want Addco's part numbers, I can try and get that information for you.

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown
Back to top Go down
oldsman105
Junkie
oldsman105

Name : Enrique Patino
Merit : 10

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Front/Rear (Addco) Stabilizer/Sway Bar Installation   sway - Write-Up: Front/Rear (Addco) Stabilizer/Sway Bar Installation - Page 4 EmptyThu Sep 20, 2007 2:38 pm

I'd really appricate it. smile
Back to top Go down
AA
Administrator
AA

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Front/Rear (Addco) Stabilizer/Sway Bar Installation   sway - Write-Up: Front/Rear (Addco) Stabilizer/Sway Bar Installation - Page 4 EmptyWed Sep 26, 2007 10:08 am

Well, I've been driving with the new bushings on for over a week now, and I have to say they do make a noticeable difference with the front end. Being that our seats are so soft, it's really hard for me to tell how much of what I feel is actually roll, and how much is just me being moved around in the seat.

One thing that I can say is before the bar & bushings I remember my tires made a sound in the turns, not a squealing, but more like a scrubbing, rumbling sound that happened when I really put the car into a corner, probably due to deforming the tire walls, etc. This seems to have gone away, or it takes more speed/force to make it as loud.

Could be it's because my tires are worn down on the edges, so will know for sure when I pick up a new set. But it seems to feel more solid anyway. Appears the bar depends on the harder bushings to do its job.

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown
Back to top Go down
Jack the R
Master
Jack the R

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Front/Rear (Addco) Stabilizer/Sway Bar Installation   sway - Write-Up: Front/Rear (Addco) Stabilizer/Sway Bar Installation - Page 4 EmptyWed Sep 26, 2007 4:05 pm

Dunno about you but I felt like the Riv needed more supportive seats even when my shocks and struts were worn. It would really be hard to get in and out with big side bolsters, but I'm wondering what other seat could be fitted to the Riv.
Back to top Go down
AA
Administrator
AA

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Front/Rear (Addco) Stabilizer/Sway Bar Installation   sway - Write-Up: Front/Rear (Addco) Stabilizer/Sway Bar Installation - Page 4 EmptyFri Sep 28, 2007 8:23 am

I do like the comforts of the seat design, but you need a 5-point harness to keep you centered!

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown
Back to top Go down
Jack the R
Master
Jack the R

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Front/Rear (Addco) Stabilizer/Sway Bar Installation   sway - Write-Up: Front/Rear (Addco) Stabilizer/Sway Bar Installation - Page 4 EmptyFri Sep 28, 2007 11:39 pm

Yeah, it is comfortable up until you have to change directions. Then it's like, "What the hell can I brace myself against?!"
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Front/Rear (Addco) Stabilizer/Sway Bar Installation   sway - Write-Up: Front/Rear (Addco) Stabilizer/Sway Bar Installation - Page 4 Empty

Back to top Go down

Write-Up: Front/Rear (Addco) Stabilizer/Sway Bar Installation
Page 4 of 22Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 13 ... 22  Next