Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

New w/ Silver Arrow

Go down 
+5
stan
LARRY70GS
Ship
ghpcnm
John Briggs
9 posters
AuthorMessage
John Briggs
Special

Name : John Briggs
Merit : 0

New w/ Silver Arrow Empty
PostSubject: New w/ Silver Arrow   New w/ Silver Arrow EmptySat Mar 24, 2012 2:00 am

John Briggs from Geneva, Indiana here. As a concession to my advancing age... I am 60.... I recently sold my beloved '91 Corvette. I was looking to replace it with a two door luxury coupe. Something that would not beat me up like the rough riding 'Vette. Possibly an Eldo, Lincoln Mark... or at the top of my list... a Riviera Silver Arrow. I located a high mileage/low price one owner perfect CarFax '99 Silver Arrow in Lewisville, Texas a couple weeks ago so I Paypalled the dealer a $200 down payment, bought a one way Amtrak fare and off I went with thirty-six crisp Ben Franklins in my pocket to take delivery of my Riviera! I just returned home a few hours ago with my new prized possession. No problems that I noticed on the 900+ mile return trip from Texas. A really clean exterior, engine compartment, interior and trunk. Nice BOTH inside and out. Just a few minutes ago, I noticed a new lower mileage Silver Arrow listing show up on AutoTrader.com for right at $15,000!! I feel in spite of the 190 turns on my Silver Arrow, I still got it at a reasonable price and I am looking forward to spending many years with it! I am so glad to have found this forum! Best wishes to all!
Back to top Go down
ghpcnm
Aficionado
ghpcnm

Name : Dave
Merit : 23

PostSubject: Re: New w/ Silver Arrow   New w/ Silver Arrow EmptySat Mar 24, 2012 10:51 am

WELCOME, John !!!

Like you, I am 60 yrs. old almost (May 3rd). I prefer the softer luxury ride of the Riv and Reatta as well. My arthritis doesn't like the harsh ride of the older 'Vettes and I no longer have the need for speed that I once had, although I am planning to install a Series III Supercharged in the Reatta later this year as soon as my friends at Sinister can work me in their schedule.

Congratulations on your Silver Arrow find. POST SOME PICS when you get a chance.
Back to top Go down
http://www.americantorque.com/page/0/1189/
Ship
Fanatic
Ship

Merit : 37

PostSubject: Re: New w/ Silver Arrow   New w/ Silver Arrow EmptySat Mar 24, 2012 11:55 am

Both you guys should consider joining the Buick Club of America (if not already members) and especially the Riviera Owners Association (don't see your names on the most current member list). Great bunch of folks in both clubs.

Over the last couple of years, the ROA annual meets have had more last generation Rivs being showcased/peer judged than any other generation!
Back to top Go down
John Briggs
Special

PostSubject: Re: New w/ Silver Arrow   New w/ Silver Arrow EmptySat Mar 24, 2012 1:43 pm

Once I figure out the procedure, I'll try and post some pictures. Come to think of it, I do also own a '90 Light Blue Reatta. Picked it up for a song on eBay a few weeks back. $1,200 and some change. 140 clicks and it rides like a dream. I'll definitely check out those two Buick Owner's Clubs. Thanks for the recommendation.
It wasn't atrhritis that caused me to sell the '91 'Vette. Lately I've noticed .... like with a LOT of my clothes.... The 'Vette seemed to be SHRINKING! Can't have anything to do with my expanding waistline, can it?
Both the Reatta and Silver Arrow are essentially stock. I have no urgent need for speed so the most I'd consider in the way of engine mods would be things associated with enhanced mileage and durability. A lower restriction air filter? Maybe a cooler thermostat/mild performance chip? Not likely to consider any intake/exhaust porting, headers.... serious mods like that. Anyone reading this care to make any recommendations?
Crutchfield lists very limited options for upgrading the Silver Arrow's radio. I'm not sure I need to do anything as my portable Sirius Starmate 5 plays fine through a cassette adapter. There was a little buzzing in the front speakers. I think the rear deck takes a standard 6X9? Anyone have any info on speaker upgrades?
Back to top Go down
LARRY70GS
Aficionado
LARRY70GS

Name : Larry
Merit : 149

PostSubject: Re: New w/ Silver Arrow   New w/ Silver Arrow EmptySat Mar 24, 2012 3:32 pm

John Briggs wrote:
Once I figure out the procedure, I'll try and post some pictures. Come to think of it, I do also own a '90 Light Blue Reatta. Picked it up for a song on eBay a few weeks back. $1,200 and some change. 140 clicks and it rides like a dream. I'll definitely check out those two Buick Owner's Clubs. Thanks for the recommendation.
It wasn't atrhritis that caused me to sell the '91 'Vette. Lately I've noticed .... like with a LOT of my clothes.... The 'Vette seemed to be SHRINKING! Can't have anything to do with my expanding waistline, can it?
Both the Reatta and Silver Arrow are essentially stock. I have no urgent need for speed so the most I'd consider in the way of engine mods would be things associated with enhanced mileage and durability. A lower restriction air filter? Maybe a cooler thermostat/mild performance chip? Not likely to consider any intake/exhaust porting, headers.... serious mods like that. Anyone reading this care to make any recommendations?
Crutchfield lists very limited options for upgrading the Silver Arrow's radio. I'm not sure I need to do anything as my portable Sirius Starmate 5 plays fine through a cassette adapter. There was a little buzzing in the front speakers. I think the rear deck takes a standard 6X9? Anyone have any info on speaker upgrades?

Welcome John,
You may want to install a K&N filter, and remove the sound deadeners so that you can hear the supercharger whine, if you like that. In my humble opinion, Buick hit a home run with this engine. Modding the engine is unnecessary for me. If you do, read up on this board about modifications. Upping the boost makes detonation more likely, and that will kill any engine in short order, especially if that engine is turbo or supercharged. The PCM retards timing in an attempt to protect the engine. It's called KR, or knock retard. Any mods require you check KR with a scan tool or gauge, to keep it under control.

As far as the radio goes, if it still works fine, consider upgrading the speakers all around. That will make a big difference. The stock speakers are garbage.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UHCda-t_Jls
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sfT2tEO4XcU
Back to top Go down
stan
Expert

Merit : 12

PostSubject: Re: New w/ Silver Arrow   New w/ Silver Arrow EmptySat Mar 24, 2012 3:37 pm

welcome John,what number is your SA?
Back to top Go down
Ship
Fanatic
Ship

Merit : 37

PostSubject: Re: New w/ Silver Arrow   New w/ Silver Arrow EmptySat Mar 24, 2012 4:27 pm

John,
The Buick Club of America also has a Reatta Division that you might also consider joining. The BCA and the ROA both have their own websites and you can join online. You can also go to the AACA forum (forums.aaca.org, its free) where the most active sub-forum is the Buick Reatta group.

A bit of maintenance advice on your 90 Reatta...all Reattas 88-90 had the Teves braking system which requires very frequent due diligent maintence or you'll loose them. The 91's are Delco and don't have an accululator/pump type system.
Back to top Go down
99Rivman
Aficionado
99Rivman

Name : Randall
Merit : 89

PostSubject: Re: New w/ Silver Arrow   New w/ Silver Arrow EmptySun Mar 25, 2012 9:59 pm

Welcome to the Forum thumbsup
And, congratulations on your purchase! yay

I was thinking about going and looking at it a couple of weeks ago while I was in TX since it did look to be in pretty good condition, BUT I decided I wouldn’t since I definitely don’t need another Riviera right now!

It was listed in the "For Sale" section a couple of weeks ago, if it is the same Riv?
https://rivperformance.editboard.com/t9087-silver-arrow-high-mileage-un-numbered-in-tx

I have some information about Silver Arrows that might interest you. I’m not sure if you are aware or not but there is a man that is in the ROA and the BCA that is keeping a Silver Arrow Registry. As of his last report he has close to 60 of the 200 SAs listed in the registry. If you are interested PM me and I’ll send you his contact information. Also, the Riviera Owners Association IS a great bunch of people, if you are interested the web site is http://www.rivowners.org/.

Good luck with the new Riviera cheers
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/id/99Rivman
John Briggs
Special

PostSubject: Re: New w/ Silver Arrow   New w/ Silver Arrow EmptySun Mar 25, 2012 11:08 pm

The unmarked SA I recently purchased from John Wooley at the Automart of Dallas is definitely the one from Craigslist. The spot on the dash where the plate would have been looks clean as if a plate had never been attached. I have noticed this same thing on an eBay listed SA a few months back. I have the name of the one previous owner and I plan on writing him to find out more about the vehicle's history. I do have the leather cover for the manual, the Silver Arrow front mats... and the two exterior emblems. I certainly hope this turns out to be a genuine SA and not a dressed up base model!
Back to top Go down
grisolm1
Rookie

Name : Wally

PostSubject: Re: New w/ Silver Arrow   New w/ Silver Arrow EmptyMon Mar 26, 2012 9:28 pm

Congrats on the SA, I found this online just after I bought mine, looked real clean in the pics.

I'm resurrecting #44 I just brought up from Miami. Exterior not too bad but interior needs some serious cleaning. I'm about 20% through project, work keeps me from finishing as soon as I would like but I'll "Git Ir Done" Found Woolite Oxy Deep works magic on carpet and headliner.
Back to top Go down
denim
Junkie
denim

Name : Sean
Merit : 33

PostSubject: Re: New w/ Silver Arrow   New w/ Silver Arrow EmptyMon Mar 26, 2012 9:56 pm

John,
My age is am advancing a couple of years ahead of you. I'd speculate that your clothes are suffering from the dark closet syndrome. No matter the fabric or age, the dark closet will always shrink them smile
Ya know? smile
Please bring that Silver Arrow to life with some shots soon, eh?
Best.
Back to top Go down
Jack the R
Master
Jack the R

Merit : 105

PostSubject: Re: New w/ Silver Arrow   New w/ Silver Arrow EmptyTue Mar 27, 2012 12:51 am

John Briggs wrote:
As a concession to my advancing age... I am 60....

You're only seven years older than Madonna.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: New w/ Silver Arrow   New w/ Silver Arrow Empty

Back to top Go down

New w/ Silver Arrow
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Riv Performance ::   General :: Welcome!-
Jump to: