Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

Plastidip over Vinyl?

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
c0reyl
Addict
c0reyl

Name : Corey
Merit : 2

Plastidip over Vinyl? Empty
PostSubject: Plastidip over Vinyl?   Plastidip over Vinyl? EmptyTue Jun 26, 2012 1:44 pm

I've been trying to paint my vinyl matte black for a while now, and Iv'e tried dupicolor vinyl paint, and Kyrlon fusion where people say both works. I used alcohol to clean and prep, but it's flaking off still. would plasti dip work (I know it can be peeled off but would it flake off of soft vinyl?)

I would like to finally get my interior finished some day and if plasti dip wont work then I will literally pay to get my door panels vacuum molded from fiberglass with custom speaker holes
Back to top Go down
robotennis61
Guru
robotennis61

Name : robotennis
Merit : 143

PostSubject: Re: Plastidip over Vinyl?   Plastidip over Vinyl? EmptyTue Jun 26, 2012 2:54 pm

I think it would take more than alchohol to prep vinyl for paint.you shoud get some wax wash and cleaner from the auto paint store.you would also have to scuff up vinyl real good with a 3=M red scuff pad.it should stick

Plast-dip? I dont know..might look really awful.that stuff goes on super thick.And I bet it would peel all to shit.
Back to top Go down
deekster_caddy
Master

Name : Derek
Merit : 109

PostSubject: Re: Plastidip over Vinyl?   Plastidip over Vinyl? EmptyTue Jun 26, 2012 3:06 pm

What vinyl are you painting? How exactly are you prepping the vinyl? It's a lot of work to prep it to make paint stick.

I don't think alcohol would be enough. Lacquer thinner maybe. Scuff it up good too. Consider using an adhesion promoting primer. (there's one I've used on plastic bumpers before called "Bulldog", not sure how it would do on vinyl parts).
Back to top Go down
c0reyl
Addict
c0reyl

Name : Corey
Merit : 2

PostSubject: Re: Plastidip over Vinyl?   Plastidip over Vinyl? EmptyWed Jun 27, 2012 10:13 am

deekster_caddy wrote:
What vinyl are you painting? How exactly are you prepping the vinyl? It's a lot of work to prep it to make paint stick.

I don't think alcohol would be enough. Lacquer thinner maybe. Scuff it up good too. Consider using an adhesion promoting primer. (there's one I've used on plastic bumpers before called "Bulldog", not sure how it would do on vinyl parts).

Basically I'm trying to make my interior black. the ABS plastic is easy to paint, but the door panels and soft vinyl seems impossible.

By the way, is the steering wheel real leather wrapped or vinyl wrapped because my steering wheel is so beat up that I can't even tell
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :
Merit : 181

PostSubject: Re: Plastidip over Vinyl?   Plastidip over Vinyl? EmptyWed Jun 27, 2012 11:09 am

c0reyl wrote:
deekster_caddy wrote:

Basically I'm trying to make my interior black. the ABS plastic is easy to paint, but the door panels and soft vinyl seems impossible.

By the way, is the steering wheel real leather wrapped or vinyl wrapped because my steering wheel is so beat up that I can't even tell

Steering wheel is wrapped in real leather, but the leather is coated, has an artifical 'skin' of sorts dep on color. You should consider getting replacement for the leather part from "Wheelskins" (look it us using google or some such0

painting the soft parts is possible but you should contact an auto paint store to get the right sutff, some people call it vinyl dye or vinyl coat, basically it's a "paint" that melts into the material being painted, re-skinning it in effect. Surface must be pristine clean for it to work. See http://www.vhtpaint.com/products/vinyldye/ - you must ***scrupulously*** follow the label directions or it won't work. Follow the directions and it works fantastic.

Albertj

Back to top Go down
charlieRobinson
Expert
charlieRobinson

Name : Charlie
Merit : 31

PostSubject: Re: Plastidip over Vinyl?   Plastidip over Vinyl? EmptyFri Jun 29, 2012 8:11 pm

I had awesome results with the vinyl plastic spray at autozone. I think its rustoleum? Anyways, the results were impressive and I would use it again.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Plastidip over Vinyl?   Plastidip over Vinyl? Empty

Back to top Go down

Plastidip over Vinyl?
Page 1 of 1