Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

Help-Accessory tensioner threads stripped

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Mattwa
Enthusiast

Name : Matt
Merit : 8

Help-Accessory tensioner threads stripped Empty
PostSubject: Help-Accessory tensioner threads stripped   Help-Accessory tensioner threads stripped EmptySun Nov 25, 2012 1:27 am

After going though all the fun of replacing all the belts and pullies, I attempted to put the accessory belt on. I pulled back the tensioner, and noticed the bolt started turning on me after kinda struggling to get the belt on. Well the threads inside the tensioner stripped. frown Is there anyway I can fix this? I'm trying to think of ways to fix it, but I don't want to ghetto-rig it up or anything. I really rather not replace the whole thing after tearing the top end apart of the motor and putting it back together this weekend.

Thanks
Matt
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :
Merit : 180

PostSubject: Re: Help-Accessory tensioner threads stripped   Help-Accessory tensioner threads stripped EmptySun Nov 25, 2012 3:48 am

I don't know if you need a helicoil kit with reverse threads or if you can insert a helicoil the
necessary way. Might want to look up tensioner price (napaonline or rockauto or a local jukyard).

I am thinking junkyard tensioner.
Back to top Go down
deekster_caddy
Master

Name : Derek
Merit : 109

PostSubject: Re: Help-Accessory tensioner threads stripped   Help-Accessory tensioner threads stripped EmptySun Nov 25, 2012 8:01 am

I believe that is a left-hand threaded bolt? If so you'll need a left-thread helicoil, not sure how readily available it would be to you unless you happen to have a mcmaster-carr or grainger store around, or a really good hardware store, or a machine shop supplier... it's the only way to repair something that critical. You can order one online I'm sure.

It may be easier to get a whole new (or used) tensioner. At 141K it may not be such a bad thing to get a new tensioner assy anyway.
Back to top Go down
Mattwa
Enthusiast

PostSubject: Re: Help-Accessory tensioner threads stripped   Help-Accessory tensioner threads stripped EmptySun Nov 25, 2012 10:41 am

Ok thanks. Yes it's left hand thread. It actually has 145k now, and I'm sure it's orginal. The pulley I replaced had a shim behind it for some reason, so I'm sure it was messed with before. I wasnt cranking on it that hard.
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :
Merit : 180

PostSubject: Re: Help-Accessory tensioner threads stripped   Help-Accessory tensioner threads stripped EmptySun Nov 25, 2012 7:38 pm

Mattwa wrote:
Ok thanks. Yes it's left hand thread. It actually has 145k now, and I'm sure it's orginal. The pulley I replaced had a shim behind it for some reason, so I'm sure it was messed with before. I wasnt cranking on it that hard.

I am thinking it's best to replace the tensioner assembly, and I realize that the least $$ you are in for walking into a parts store off the street is high. You can use the web to get prices from the local parts stores and comparison shop. If you can wait (not long they are quick) consider getting parts from rockauto.com. also seriously consider a junkyard. The people in the parts warranty business have really whipped many junkyards into shape as far as parts quality is concerned. That is, if you buy an "extended warranty" from a dealer or 3rd party they now mostly specify that used parts must be used if available. So the better junkyards are providing better parts on balance, so they can tap into that stream of business.

Back to top Go down
Mattwa
Enthusiast

PostSubject: Re: Help-Accessory tensioner threads stripped   Help-Accessory tensioner threads stripped EmptySun Nov 25, 2012 8:20 pm

Luckily the local autozone had one in stock for $75, so I bought it. Really nice piece. The old one and the old plastic elbow was in pretty bad shape, glad I got it replaced.
Help-Accessory tensioner threads stripped IMG_20121125_132014
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Help-Accessory tensioner threads stripped   Help-Accessory tensioner threads stripped Empty

Back to top Go down

Help-Accessory tensioner threads stripped
Page 1 of 1