Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

New to me Riv, 138k no vehicle history, care tips?

Go down 
+2
JAYARZA
Green-irwinman
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Green-irwinman
Amateur
Green-irwinman

Name : Joe
Merit : 2

New to me Riv, 138k no vehicle history, care tips?  Empty
PostSubject: New to me Riv, 138k no vehicle history, care tips?    New to me Riv, 138k no vehicle history, care tips?  EmptyTue Jan 29, 2013 7:56 pm

Hi everyone, I just recently purchased my first Riviera. I picked it up for 1500, It rides nice, no squeeks or weird sounds, but it pulls to the right. Also, I can hear a faint ticking, thats barely audible, is this a lifter issue? or am I simply hearing the spark plugs. I'm a little concerned, and I'm really hoping I made a good purchase. Any advice?
Back to top Go down
JAYARZA
Rookie

Name : Juan
Merit : 4

PostSubject: Re: New to me Riv, 138k no vehicle history, care tips?    New to me Riv, 138k no vehicle history, care tips?  EmptySat Feb 02, 2013 8:18 am

It sounds like you made a good buy. I recently purchased a 97 riv with 155k miles for +600 over what you paid. I've had it over a month now and driven it 2000 miles and love the car. I think it's hard to beat the value of this car used.

To address the pulling issue, be sure and check all your tire pressures first. Look at the condition of your tires' tread wear. If there is a couple of tires that are worn irregularly it could indicate an alignment problem. Try rotating your tires and see if the problem changes or goes away.

The ticking problem could be as simple as an overdue oil change. I think it's good practice to spend some time with a newly purchased used vehicle changing all of the fluids, rotating the tires - while inspecting the brakes, suspension components for wear and play, lubing the chassis, and cleaning or changing the air filter. Once these fundamentals are covered, you'll have a good ground basis for identifying problems. Ideally we would buy used cars with detailed service records...
Back to top Go down
deekster_caddy
Master

Name : Derek
Merit : 109

PostSubject: Re: New to me Riv, 138k no vehicle history, care tips?    New to me Riv, 138k no vehicle history, care tips?  EmptySat Feb 02, 2013 11:43 am

Change all fluids. Transmission and brake fluid. It probably needs a filter change too. Don't flush the transmission, just do a pan drop and filter change. I prefer to use Dexron IV fluid in all my GM transmissions lately. Put a good quality oil, 5w30 if you are in a cold climate. 10w30 in the summer, 5w30 for the winter. I prefer Mobil1 full synthetic.

Re: the pulling, I agree with Juan - check tire pressures first. If it's still pulling have a front end check done. Outer tie rod ends are common wear items in these. Could also be a wheel bearing or something else. If all is good, just get an alignment.
Back to top Go down
AA
Administrator
AA

Name : Aaron
Merit : 252

PostSubject: Re: New to me Riv, 138k no vehicle history, care tips?    New to me Riv, 138k no vehicle history, care tips?  EmptySat Feb 02, 2013 12:37 pm

Good suggestions above by Juan and Derek. Regarding transmission fluid, I think Derek meant Dexron VI (six), not IV (four). I also use VI with great results. I use 10w30 conventional every 3k for all months of the year here in Ohio. 5w30 during the coldest months is also fine. Honestly I don't feel it makes a difference unless you live in the very cold states. Synthetic is best, but IMO unnecessary for the price. When my engine was rebuilt last year at 247k miles - builder said the insides were clean, with zero cylinder wear.

On the pulling issue, if it only happens when you brake, could be brake caliper pins are not sliding - rebuild or replace. However, it is most likely tire pressure or alignment as mentioned.

The ticking could be an exhaust leak. If it is very faint, you will hear the fuel injectors, but not the spark plugs. Congrats on the new car, and best of luck!

'05 GTO 6.0L • 6-spd • 95k miles • 0-60: 4.8s • 16.9 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:26

'95 Celica GT 2.2L • 5-spd • 165k miles • 0-60: yes

'98 SC Riviera • 281k miles • 298 HP/370 TQ • 0-60: 5.79s • ET: 13.97 @ 99.28 • 4087 lb • 20.1 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:30
3.4" pulley • AL104 plugs • 180º t-stat • FWI w/K&N • 1.9:1 rockers • OR pushrods • LS6 valve springs • SLP headers • ZZP fuel rails
KYB GR2 struts • MaxAir shocks • Addco sway bars • UMI bushings • GM STB • Enkei 18" EV5s w/ Dunlop DZ101s • F-body calipers
EBC bluestuff/Hawk HP plus • SS lines • Brembo slotted discs • DHP tuned • Aeroforce • Hidden Hitch

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown

'70 Ninety-Eight Holiday Coupe 455cid • 116k miles
^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/657082/4
Green-irwinman
Amateur
Green-irwinman

PostSubject: Re: New to me Riv, 138k no vehicle history, care tips?    New to me Riv, 138k no vehicle history, care tips?  EmptySat Feb 02, 2013 1:48 pm

Good call Derek, it needs tie rod ends on drivers side.
Back to top Go down
deekster_caddy
Master

PostSubject: Re: New to me Riv, 138k no vehicle history, care tips?    New to me Riv, 138k no vehicle history, care tips?  EmptySat Feb 02, 2013 3:24 pm

Green-irwinman wrote:
Good call Derek, it needs tie rod ends on drivers side.

Thanks! I forget, are you the one in hampton? I'm not too far south of you in Reading, MA. I'd be happy to help or if you want to see what a modified Riv will run like we are about to do a wheel bearing in my brother's 98 probably next weekend. (used to be mine) I have done like a zillion tie rod ends on G- and W- bodies of this era. No alignment machine here, but we've always been able to get the new tie rod so close the alignment shop hasn't had to adjust it! (I still recommend having an alignment shop look at it after, though)

I also have a spare OEM gasket for your transmission pan. I like to drill and install a drain plug while the pan is out, about $5 and worth every penny! And yes, I meant Dex VI - I actually typed it that way first and then second guessed my roman numerals... If you need a pan gasket I'd be happy to sell you this one for ~15 or so ($40 new) They are reuseable. That's only needed in case some shop along the way threw out your OE gasket for a cork one that came with the filter... hopefully you still have the OE gasket.

Anyway, if you are interested in stopping by when we work on the other '98 let me know.
-Derek
Back to top Go down
Green-irwinman
Amateur
Green-irwinman

PostSubject: Re: New to me Riv, 138k no vehicle history, care tips?    New to me Riv, 138k no vehicle history, care tips?  EmptySat Feb 02, 2013 6:27 pm

I completely agree with you on the detailed maintenance records. I actually started another thread for a tranny issue im having. I really like this car, and i think its worth putting money into, I just wish it hadnt attacked right from the get go.
As for modding Derek, as much as I have enjoyed tinkering with my past rides (putting a cherrybomb on a Volvo wagon was one of my favorite endeavors) I think I wanna keep this ride stock and concentrate on updating the worn parts, at least for the moment. When I get a beater, then I will see what kind of trouble I can get into!
Back to top Go down
deekster_caddy
Master

PostSubject: Re: New to me Riv, 138k no vehicle history, care tips?    New to me Riv, 138k no vehicle history, care tips?  EmptySat Feb 02, 2013 6:42 pm

Green-irwinman wrote:
As for modding Derek, as much as I have enjoyed tinkering with my past rides (putting a cherrybomb on a Volvo wagon was one of my favorite endeavors) I think I wanna keep this ride stock and concentrate on updating the worn parts, at least for the moment. When I get a beater, then I will see what kind of trouble I can get into!

Oh I understand that, I wasn't suggesting you mod anything (besides the drain plug in the trans pan), just to see what it's capable of is kinda fun!

And I wasn't sure if you had a reliable mechanic to deal with. I know this car pretty well...
Back to top Go down
Green-irwinman
Amateur
Green-irwinman

PostSubject: Re: New to me Riv, 138k no vehicle history, care tips?    New to me Riv, 138k no vehicle history, care tips?  EmptySat Feb 02, 2013 7:55 pm

I am at a loss with this car, Its my first Buick, I certainly appreciate all the help Im getting here. The mechanic ran a computer scan, for an inspection and didn't tell me he found anything odd.
Back to top Go down
deekster_caddy
Master

PostSubject: Re: New to me Riv, 138k no vehicle history, care tips?    New to me Riv, 138k no vehicle history, care tips?  EmptySat Feb 02, 2013 9:20 pm

Green-irwinman wrote:
I am at a loss with this car, Its my first Buick, I certainly appreciate all the help Im getting here. The mechanic ran a computer scan, for an inspection and didn't tell me he found anything odd.

Understood. I have an advanced scanner that can read, display live and record multiple parameters from the computer at once. It can be used for tuning, but also for just seeing everything going on as the car is running. A scan for inspection pretty much tells you there are no "errors" but doesn't really tell you what else is happening.

Although this particular Buick is a unique car, the electronics and drivetrain are full of pretty standard GM parts. The 3800 engine was used in several different models and produced on a massive scale. The transmission was used in even more vehicles. The computer/ECM/PCM was used in even more!

So although the Riv may turn a few heads and raise a few eyebrows, under the hood it's all pretty common parts.
Back to top Go down
NHPaulieB
Special

Name : Paul Bellefeuille
Merit : 0

PostSubject: Re: New to me Riv, 138k no vehicle history, care tips?    New to me Riv, 138k no vehicle history, care tips?  EmptySun Feb 03, 2013 10:40 pm

Hey Joe,
I'm also in NH.. is yours the car from Dover that was on Craigslist?
If it was you sure move fast!
Looks like you got a great deal!
Good luck!
I'm still looking for a Riv. and think I've found one..
I'm in Kingston
Back to top Go down
Green-irwinman
Amateur
Green-irwinman

PostSubject: Re: New to me Riv, 138k no vehicle history, care tips?    New to me Riv, 138k no vehicle history, care tips?  EmptyMon Feb 04, 2013 11:15 pm

Nah I wanted the one in Dover, it was green with Tan int. This one came from Plaistow, prolly just had S. Nh on the location.
Back to top Go down
jlaw
jlaw

Name : Jay

PostSubject: Re: New to me Riv, 138k no vehicle history, care tips?    New to me Riv, 138k no vehicle history, care tips?  EmptyTue Feb 05, 2013 3:29 pm

When I first got mine I worried about the ticking sound I heard. I wasn't used to such a quiet vehicle - it was just the fuel injectors working.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: New to me Riv, 138k no vehicle history, care tips?    New to me Riv, 138k no vehicle history, care tips?  Empty

Back to top Go down

New to me Riv, 138k no vehicle history, care tips?
Page 1 of 1