Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

defroster and heater air works, but not dash

Go down 
+3
LARRY70GS
albertj
jayeli
7 posters
AuthorMessage
jayeli
Amateur
jayeli

Name : Clint
Merit : 1

defroster and heater air works, but not dash Empty
PostSubject: defroster and heater air works, but not dash   defroster and heater air works, but not dash EmptyWed Feb 06, 2013 7:08 pm

i tried searching the forum but couldn't find this problem. on my 90 Riv with 50k, i suddenly can't get air to blow from the vents. it will switch back and forth from heater and defroster just fine. the indicator on the electronic climate control shows the little arrow as if it should be blowing from the vents, but it blows from the defroster instead. i have tried various positions and switching of the electronic climate controls, but i can't get it to work. this will be a major problem for me when it's hot and i need the air conditioner.

a long time ago i had an 87 toronado with this same issue, but when it happened, it would ding and flash "electrical problem". i don't have that light coming on on my Riv though. (i saw the light in my manual, but i don't see it on the dash-even when i first start it.) i don't know if this could be related, but i recently had the valve cover and intake manifold gaskets replaced about 800 miles ago. however, this is the first time i've tried to get fresh vent air and it didn't work. i checked the one vacuum line near the blower and it is connected and there is vacuum.

any ideas? thanks.
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :
Merit : 180

PostSubject: Re: defroster and heater air works, but not dash   defroster and heater air works, but not dash EmptyWed Feb 06, 2013 7:35 pm

jayeli wrote:
i tried searching the forum but couldn't find this problem. on my 90 Riv with 50k, i suddenly can't get air to blow from the vents. it will switch back and forth from heater and defroster just fine. the indicator on the electronic climate control shows the little arrow as if it should be blowing from the vents, but it blows from the defroster instead. i have tried various positions and switching of the electronic climate controls, but i can't get it to work. this will be a major problem for me when it's hot and i need the air conditioner.

a long time ago i had an 87 toronado with this same issue, but when it happened, it would ding and flash "electrical problem". i don't have that light coming on on my Riv though. (i saw the light in my manual, but i don't see it on the dash-even when i first start it.) i don't know if this could be related, but i recently had the valve cover and intake manifold gaskets replaced about 800 miles ago. however, this is the first time i've tried to get fresh vent air and it didn't work. i checked the one vacuum line near the blower and it is connected and there is vacuum.

any ideas? thanks.

Just an idea: somehow there should be a way using "starting fluid" or a propane torch without flame to check those vacuum lines as they are to see if they are leaking/sucking atmospheric air at the connections. Not sure how though, hopefully a shade-tree mechanic will chime in and tell us.
Back to top Go down
jayeli
Amateur
jayeli

PostSubject: Re: defroster and heater air works, but not dash   defroster and heater air works, but not dash EmptyWed Feb 27, 2013 6:58 pm

nobody has any ideas on my problem??? i need air from the vents!
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :

PostSubject: Re: defroster and heater air works, but not dash   defroster and heater air works, but not dash EmptyWed Feb 27, 2013 9:27 pm

jayeli wrote:

The idea was to check the vacuum lines for leaks.

after doing that, please post results.
Back to top Go down
LARRY70GS
Aficionado
LARRY70GS

Name : Larry
Merit : 149

PostSubject: Re: defroster and heater air works, but not dash   defroster and heater air works, but not dash EmptyThu Feb 28, 2013 7:44 am

jayeli wrote:

On the 95-99 Rivs, the change is accomplished by actuators. On your car, it sounds like vacuum motors do the job. What you need to do is get under there, figure out what door is failing to work, then look at it's vacuum supply, or diaphragm that moves it. A factory service manual will help here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UHCda-t_Jls
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sfT2tEO4XcU
Back to top Go down
jayeli
Amateur
jayeli

PostSubject: Re: defroster and heater air works, but not dash   defroster and heater air works, but not dash EmptyWed Mar 20, 2013 2:12 pm

the problem seems to be the vent valve upper lever-gm part 3058309. this part is discontinued and not available anywhere in the country from gm. i've searched online but can't find it either. does anyone know where i can get this part???
Back to top Go down
deekster_caddy
Master

Name : Derek
Merit : 109

PostSubject: Re: defroster and heater air works, but not dash   defroster and heater air works, but not dash EmptyWed Mar 20, 2013 2:39 pm

jayeli wrote:
the problem seems to be the vent valve upper lever-gm part 3058309. this part is discontinued and not available anywhere in the country from gm. i've searched online but can't find it either. does anyone know where i can get this part???

Try car-part.com to see if anyone has a parts Riviera - this part probably won't be listed separately but you could call the yard and explain what you are looking for and they may be able to pull one for you.

Also Ed Morad (moradpartscompany.com) occasionally parts out Rivieras. He may have one.
Back to top Go down
jayeli
Amateur
jayeli

PostSubject: Re: defroster and heater air works, but not dash   defroster and heater air works, but not dash EmptyWed Mar 20, 2013 3:44 pm

tried morad-he usually only deals with the last generation riviera-thanks for the suggestion though. still waiting to hear back from car-part.
Back to top Go down
deekster_caddy
Master

PostSubject: Re: defroster and heater air works, but not dash   defroster and heater air works, but not dash EmptyThu Mar 21, 2013 8:45 am

Oh sorry, I missed the "90" part. My bad.
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :

PostSubject: Re: defroster and heater air works, but not dash   defroster and heater air works, but not dash EmptyThu Mar 21, 2013 9:33 am

GM never did have all that much imagination around hard parts... it will take some doing but if you call a salvage yard that ships parts and if they have a little time on their hands (try early morning or midafternoon) somebody with an exchange book (the old timers call it a Hollander manual) should be able to find and pull one and ship it to you. You will have to call yards until you succeed. Also, might your part be repairable?
Back to top Go down
jayeli
Amateur
jayeli

PostSubject: Re: defroster and heater air works, but not dash   defroster and heater air works, but not dash EmptyThu Mar 21, 2013 5:33 pm

while i've found a few different vehicles around the country (riviera, reatta, eldorado, seville, toronado), it sounds like the time and effort involved to gain access to the part is a problem for the salvage yards. the hunt continues.
Back to top Go down
jayeli
Amateur
jayeli

PostSubject: Re: defroster and heater air works, but not dash   defroster and heater air works, but not dash EmptyMon Mar 25, 2013 4:40 pm

i found the part on a 91 toronado-only $20!!!
Back to top Go down
AA
Administrator
AA

Name : Aaron
Merit : 251

PostSubject: Re: defroster and heater air works, but not dash   defroster and heater air works, but not dash EmptyMon Mar 25, 2013 4:41 pm

Thanks for the update, Clint!

'05 GTO 6.0L • 6-spd • 95k miles • 0-60: 4.8s • 16.9 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:26

'95 Celica GT 2.2L • 5-spd • 165k miles • 0-60: yes

'98 SC Riviera • 281k miles • 298 HP/370 TQ • 0-60: 5.79s • ET: 13.97 @ 99.28 • 4087 lb • 20.1 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:30
3.4" pulley • AL104 plugs • 180º t-stat • FWI w/K&N • 1.9:1 rockers • OR pushrods • LS6 valve springs • SLP headers • ZZP fuel rails
KYB GR2 struts • MaxAir shocks • Addco sway bars • UMI bushings • GM STB • Enkei 18" EV5s w/ Dunlop DZ101s • F-body calipers
EBC bluestuff/Hawk HP plus • SS lines • Brembo slotted discs • DHP tuned • Aeroforce • Hidden Hitch

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown

'70 Ninety-Eight Holiday Coupe 455cid • 116k miles
^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/657082/4
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :

PostSubject: Re: defroster and heater air works, but not dash   defroster and heater air works, but not dash EmptyMon Mar 25, 2013 10:47 pm

jayeli wrote:
i found the part on a 91 toronado-only $20!!!

Congrats

like I said GM never did have that much imagination around hard parts. Ford even less and the former AMC almost none.
Back to top Go down
stan
Expert

Merit : 12

PostSubject: Re: defroster and heater air works, but not dash   defroster and heater air works, but not dash EmptyMon Mar 25, 2013 11:05 pm

Congrats....!
Back to top Go down
jayeli
Amateur
jayeli

PostSubject: Re: defroster and heater air works, but not dash   defroster and heater air works, but not dash EmptyTue Mar 26, 2013 7:51 pm

part is installed and working!
Back to top Go down
deekster_caddy
Master

PostSubject: Re: defroster and heater air works, but not dash   defroster and heater air works, but not dash EmptyWed Mar 27, 2013 12:15 pm

Awesome! Where did you end up finding it?
Back to top Go down
jayeli
Amateur
jayeli

PostSubject: Re: defroster and heater air works, but not dash   defroster and heater air works, but not dash EmptyWed Mar 27, 2013 10:45 pm

see above-found it in a local salvage yard in a 91 toronado.
Back to top Go down
deekster_caddy
Master

PostSubject: Re: defroster and heater air works, but not dash   defroster and heater air works, but not dash EmptyFri Mar 29, 2013 1:26 pm

jayeli wrote:
see above-found it in a local salvage yard in a 91 toronado.
\

great! You mentioned the car but not that it was local. I was wondering if you dug through online wrecking yards or what. Always much easier to find a local part!
Back to top Go down
jayeli
Amateur
jayeli

PostSubject: Re: defroster and heater air works, but not dash   defroster and heater air works, but not dash EmptyFri Mar 29, 2013 1:31 pm

i had called at least 20 salvage yards around the country, but only 2 had the actual car rather than just the electronic climate control. one salvage yard in michigan was willing to send me the part for $90-mostly labor of course. after i found out the part was the same on all e-bodies, i remembered the local salvage yard had a toronado. they were just about to get rid of it too! thanks everyone for the advice!
Back to top Go down
IFallsRon
Fanatic

Name : R.L.
Merit : 2

PostSubject: Re: defroster and heater air works, but not dash   defroster and heater air works, but not dash EmptyWed Jan 29, 2014 7:20 pm

Is the part a blend door actuator? I had problems with one on an 88 Silverado. Seems my Riv won't blow heat to the floor so I'm troubleshooting. How much is involved to get to that area.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: defroster and heater air works, but not dash   defroster and heater air works, but not dash Empty

Back to top Go down

defroster and heater air works, but not dash
Page 1 of 1