Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

Side stripes

Go down 
+4
joshuadalegrimes
Abaddon
AA
zchizhov
8 posters
AuthorMessage
zchizhov
Special

Name : Zakhar Chizhov
Merit : 0

Side stripes Empty
PostSubject: Side stripes   Side stripes EmptyThu Aug 01, 2013 9:51 am

Hi all!
I'm looking for Riviera now, but unfortunately, in my area(Houston, TX), market does not offering anything. So I decide to make small trips to the closest big cities like Dallas, San Antonio... And before the trips, to prevent wasting of time, I would like to ask question about side stripes. Some cars have them, some don't. And if car doesn't have stripes is it mean it was paint job done or not all the cars have them since brand new?
Back to top Go down
AA
Administrator
AA

Name : Aaron
Merit : 252

Side stripes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Side stripes   Side stripes EmptyThu Aug 01, 2013 9:57 am

If you mean pin stripes, most some were added at dealerships as part of an extra trim package. When I bought my '98 in 2003 with just over 24k miles, it had vinyl pin stripes, and I could tell they were recently added by the Pontiac dealer I bought the car from. When I got the car home one of the first things I did was peel the stripes off, which was easy to do.

There are some who claim their pin stripes came from the factory, and it's certainly possible. If this were the case, I suspect the OEM version would be painted on, not vinyl that can be peeled off.

'05 GTO 6.0L • 6-spd • 95k miles • 0-60: 4.8s • 16.9 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:26

'95 Celica GT 2.2L • 5-spd • 165k miles • 0-60: yes

'98 SC Riviera • 281k miles • 298 HP/370 TQ • 0-60: 5.79s • ET: 13.97 @ 99.28 • 4087 lb • 20.1 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:30
3.4" pulley • AL104 plugs • 180º t-stat • FWI w/K&N • 1.9:1 rockers • OR pushrods • LS6 valve springs • SLP headers • ZZP fuel rails
KYB GR2 struts • MaxAir shocks • Addco sway bars • UMI bushings • GM STB • Enkei 18" EV5s w/ Dunlop DZ101s • F-body calipers
EBC bluestuff/Hawk HP plus • SS lines • Brembo slotted discs • DHP tuned • Aeroforce • Hidden Hitch

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown

'70 Ninety-Eight Holiday Coupe 455cid • 116k miles
^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown

Last edited by AA on Thu Aug 01, 2013 1:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/657082/4
Abaddon
Expert
Abaddon

Name : Scott
Merit : 185

Side stripes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Side stripes   Side stripes EmptyThu Aug 01, 2013 10:31 am

The pin stripes that were on my car were painted stripes. As far as I know, they were on the car when it was new. They were nothing more than a single paint stripe that followed the body line just below the windows from front to back...and only a couple of shades darker than the car. They've since been removed by me.

The guy that does our "add-on" stripes here usually initials his work (painted) on the car somewhere. Tape stripes get added on some of our used cars in the parking lot, but you wouldn't know who/when they were done.

I still have the original window sticker from when the car was new. I'll have to look and see if "pin stripes" are an option.
Back to top Go down
joshuadalegrimes
Addict
joshuadalegrimes

Name : josh
Merit : 13

Side stripes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Side stripes   Side stripes EmptyThu Aug 01, 2013 11:53 am

mine was the single painted stripe that came from factory. most where a gunmetal gray color and look atrocious imo. i had to do a lot of sandin for those babies to go away lol. hopefully soon i can get out of this primer and into some nice color!
Back to top Go down
RivGuy

Name : Bob Norton
Merit : 0

Side stripes Empty
PostSubject: Pin Strips   Side stripes EmptyThu Aug 01, 2013 1:53 pm

The Factory Strips are painted, and are on all SE packages, except when "STRIPE DELET" option is ordered on those, or I believe the Silver Arrows do Not have them
Back to top Go down
matt270avian
Expert
matt270avian

Name : Matt
Merit : 54

Side stripes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Side stripes   Side stripes EmptyThu Aug 01, 2013 3:08 pm

Mine has them, but it's not a single stripe. It's two really thin ones. IIRC the window sticker has them chosen as an option.
Back to top Go down
abaucom
Enthusiast

Name : Al Baucom
Merit : 22

Side stripes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Side stripes   Side stripes EmptyThu Aug 01, 2013 3:12 pm

My 1998 Riv. (Aunt factory ordered new) came from factory with accent stripe (not sure if paint or tape).  Accent stripe came with optional 'SE' Prestige Package ($1,145) but accent stripe could be deleted ($0).  My paint is 'Bright White Diamond' paint option ($395), I have the optional 'SE' package and factory applied accent stripe is Med. Slate Gray (indicated on factory vin build sheet).  Tape was typical as I remember back when I factory ordered a new 1976 Eldorado conv. (white with red accent stripe), stripe was tape not paint.

From information I have regarding 1998 Riviera accent stripe, with the optional 'SE' package, accent stripes came in the following colors (assume accent stripe color determined by one of 12 exterior color selections):  Med. Slate Gray, Gunmetal Met., Dark Briar Brown, Med. Green, Med. Garnet Red, Dark Royal Blue. There was also available a two-tone, duel accent stripe in Lt. Chestnut / Med. Garnet Red.

Note:  1998 Riviera optional 'SE' package included the following:  Accessory controls-steering wheel (radio & temp.), Cornering lamps, Mirror (visor vanity-lighted driver), Mirrors - automatic electrochromic inside & and driver outside rearview, Seats (power lumbar control driver/passenger), Stripes-accent, Theft deterrent system includes central unlocking & starter interrupt, Tranction control - full range, Universal transmitter - 3 function remote.

Have no other information on other Riviera model years except 1998.
Back to top Go down
99Rivman
Aficionado
99Rivman

Name : Randall
Merit : 89

Side stripes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Side stripes   Side stripes EmptyThu Aug 01, 2013 7:42 pm

Al and Bob are correct, the "Stripes-accent" are part of the SE Prestige Package, and, under the Silver Arrow Package listing on the sticker it lists "STRIPE DELETE" "at no cost"! And, my '95, with the SE package, the stripes were factory painted, I bought it with 26K miles on it.
However, the strips on the '95 were a tan/beige color to match the Platinum Beige interior not the Black paint.
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/id/99Rivman
Sponsored content

Side stripes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Side stripes   Side stripes Empty

Back to top Go down

Side stripes
Page 1 of 1