Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

Cutting the dashboard stereo box

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Yardley
Enthusiast

Merit : 2

Cutting the dashboard stereo box Empty
PostSubject: Cutting the dashboard stereo box   Cutting the dashboard stereo box EmptyFri Jan 31, 2014 8:48 pm

Hi all. When I remove the factory radio, what is the best way to cut the back of the box out?
Dremel? Razor?

And whit is behind that box that I need to know about so that I don't cut into it?
Back to top Go down
http://www.1badriv.com
Abaddon
Expert
Abaddon

Name : Scott
Merit : 185

PostSubject: Re: Cutting the dashboard stereo box   Cutting the dashboard stereo box EmptySat Feb 01, 2014 11:39 am

Yardley wrote:
Hi all. When I remove the factory radio, what is the best way to cut the back of the box out?
Dremel? Razor?

And whit is behind that box that I need to know about so that I don't cut into it?

We used a long, flat screwdriver and a hammer to get rid of mine. That plastic is actually softer than you think back there. There isn't anything behind it really. Just make score marks all the way around it with the screwdriver and hammer, then break it all out. Just be careful. Don't go nuts.

You aren't cutting it with a razor. It's much too hard for that. I suppose a dremel would work fantastic if you can get in there with one.
Back to top Go down
Yardley
Enthusiast

Merit : 2

PostSubject: Re: Cutting the dashboard stereo box   Cutting the dashboard stereo box EmptySat Feb 01, 2014 11:01 pm

Your idea helped a lot. I used a dremel with a drill bit in it and drilled holes every 1/16th of an inch, then was able to use the bit to just run from hole to hole and the piece fell out. Took 3 or 4 minutes. Yeah, you can't use a razor. This method worked so well I can't even consider another way.
Back to top Go down
http://www.1badriv.com
turtleman
Expert
turtleman

Name : Codith
Merit : 140

PostSubject: Re: Cutting the dashboard stereo box   Cutting the dashboard stereo box EmptySun Feb 02, 2014 3:57 pm

When I cut mine, I used a dremel cutoff disc and just went in straight with it so that it actually cut the sides and not the actual back. Very quick and easy
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Cutting the dashboard stereo box   Cutting the dashboard stereo box Empty

Back to top Go down

Cutting the dashboard stereo box
Page 1 of 1