Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

front turn signal bulb replacement

Go down 
+3
Sir Psycho Sexy
Abaddon
jimmyriv
7 posters
AuthorMessage
jimmyriv
Junkie
jimmyriv

Name : James
Merit : 8

front turn signal bulb replacement Empty
PostSubject: front turn signal bulb replacement   front turn signal bulb replacement EmptySun Apr 06, 2014 9:27 am

What is involved in replacing a front turn signal bulb on a 1998 Riv? scratch
Back to top Go down
http://myspace.com/jimmyriv
Abaddon
Expert
Abaddon

Name : Scott
Merit : 185

PostSubject: Re: front turn signal bulb replacement   front turn signal bulb replacement EmptySun Apr 06, 2014 12:09 pm

You have to remove the big plastic piece under the front of the car and get to it from underneath if I'm not mistaken. It's kind of a PITA...
Back to top Go down
Sir Psycho Sexy
Junkie
Sir Psycho Sexy

Name : Tyler
Merit : 20

PostSubject: Re: front turn signal bulb replacement   front turn signal bulb replacement EmptySun Apr 06, 2014 1:55 pm

Yup. You just have to pull out a few of those plastic retainers, pull back that piece of plastic, and reach up in there.
Back to top Go down
ZEP
Fanatic
ZEP

Name : Zach
Merit : 11

PostSubject: Re: front turn signal bulb replacement   front turn signal bulb replacement EmptySun Apr 06, 2014 4:14 pm

iirc, there are two bulbs in each turn signal lens - one of them is much easier to get to than the other. When I took off my front bumper to get the cannonball hole fixed (that's seriously what it looked like), I remember the turn signals being the biggest PITAs of the experience. But, one bulb lights up half of the lens reflector, the other bulb lights up the other half.
Back to top Go down
Sir Psycho Sexy
Junkie
Sir Psycho Sexy

PostSubject: Re: front turn signal bulb replacement   front turn signal bulb replacement EmptySun Apr 06, 2014 4:35 pm

I think one is the running light and the other is the blinker. I think the rear, easier to get at one is the running light and the front one is the blinker.
Back to top Go down
llamalor2112
Junkie
llamalor2112

Name : Evan
Merit : 13

PostSubject: Re: front turn signal bulb replacement   front turn signal bulb replacement EmptySun Apr 06, 2014 5:00 pm

Both are running and blinkers. Both run when your lights are on and when you're turning they alternate blinking back n forth.
Back to top Go down
Sir Psycho Sexy
Junkie
Sir Psycho Sexy

PostSubject: Re: front turn signal bulb replacement   front turn signal bulb replacement EmptySun Apr 06, 2014 5:04 pm

Huh! That is very odd because my left running light is out completely, but it comes on when I use my blinker.  scratch 
Back to top Go down
llamalor2112
Junkie
llamalor2112

Name : Evan
Merit : 13

PostSubject: Re: front turn signal bulb replacement   front turn signal bulb replacement EmptySun Apr 06, 2014 5:13 pm

Same with my right one. Left side both are on until I signal a turn then they alternate. Right side only the rear is on until I signal a turn at which point they alternate. Curious. I'm going to be changing out all the 3057s here in the next couple days so I'll report if I learn of any change
Back to top Go down
Animator
Animator

Name : Rob
Merit : 2

PostSubject: Re: front turn signal bulb replacement   front turn signal bulb replacement EmptySun Apr 06, 2014 8:25 pm

jimmyriv wrote:
What is involved in replacing a front turn signal bulb on a 1998 Riv? scratch

I just had that done on the left side while getting new tires on my '96 Riv. The mechanic agreed, I think, without knowing exactly what he was in for.

There is an access plate in the wheel well, but the front tire has to be removed first. While the small bulb was the only one that was burned out, I had the mechanic replace both it and the larger dual filament bulb because it's such a PITA to get in there, and with my luck it would burn out the next day. He also had long skinny arms, which was a real advantage over me.

Good luck. -Rob
Back to top Go down
jimmyriv
Junkie
jimmyriv

PostSubject: Re: front turn signal bulb replacement   front turn signal bulb replacement EmptyMon Apr 07, 2014 12:58 pm

I just tried to change it (passenger side). I got to it, but couldn't get it out.
Does it turn or pull out? I couldn't get it to turn only a little, but not to come out? scratch
Very hard to do laying on the ground. (I'm gettin too old for this shit.) Need a Hoist..lol
Back to top Go down
jimmyriv
Junkie
jimmyriv

PostSubject: Re: front turn signal bulb replacement   front turn signal bulb replacement EmptyMon Apr 07, 2014 3:41 pm

I was able to take it out to my brother Tim's repair shop and one of their mechanics changed it out for me.
The side marker bulb with it was out too. Replaced it too and everything is hunky dory now........... happy
Back to top Go down
Animator
Animator

Name : Rob
Merit : 2

PostSubject: Re: front turn signal bulb replacement   front turn signal bulb replacement EmptyMon Apr 07, 2014 4:06 pm

jimmyriv wrote:
I was able to take it out to my brother Tim's repair shop and one of their mechanics changed it out for me.
The side marker bulb with it was out too. Replaced it too and everything is hunky dory now........... happy

Glad to hear it's hunky dory. That particular light is a real pain to change out one handed and blind. You were wise to replace both lamps at the same time. Thank goodness for mechanics with long skinny arms. yay 

jimmyriv likes this post

Back to top Go down
jimmyriv
Junkie
jimmyriv

PostSubject: Re: front turn signal bulb replacement   front turn signal bulb replacement EmptyMon Apr 07, 2014 9:19 pm

Amen to that...... clap
Back to top Go down
stan
Expert

Merit : 12

PostSubject: Re: front turn signal bulb replacement   front turn signal bulb replacement EmptyMon Apr 07, 2014 10:16 pm

haha....
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: front turn signal bulb replacement   front turn signal bulb replacement Empty

Back to top Go down

front turn signal bulb replacement
Page 1 of 1