Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

coolant level sensor removal??

Go down 
+3
¤DoughBoy¤
jax95riv
jhodges
7 posters
AuthorMessage
jhodges
jhodges

Name : JOHNNY
Merit : 1

coolant level sensor removal?? Empty
PostSubject: coolant level sensor removal??   coolant level sensor removal?? EmptySun Jul 01, 2007 9:19 am

I have another question here I need to change the coolant level sensor in the radiator, how do you get that puppy out ?? I looked at the replacement part and see it has two clips on either side that look as thought they need to be pressed in to release the sensor . but when sensor is installed you cannot get to the clips. I am only asking I haven't actually tried to remove the old one yet, thought I'd ask advice first. I know it's not a pressing repair just trying to rid myself of that annoying light on dash.
Back to top Go down
jax95riv
Aficionado
jax95riv

Name : Jack
Merit : 6

PostSubject: Re: coolant level sensor removal??   coolant level sensor removal?? EmptySun Jul 01, 2007 11:17 pm

Yeah I got that same damn light on in my car...I haven't tackled the project yet though. I'll see if my manual has anything in it at get back to ya. Hope you're not in too big of a hurry...Probably be tomorrow before I have time to check it out.
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/468780
¤DoughBoy¤
Enthusiast
¤DoughBoy¤

Name : D.J.
Merit : 0

PostSubject: Re: coolant level sensor removal??   coolant level sensor removal?? EmptyMon Jul 02, 2007 12:06 am

I have that annoying light also..........I don't pay no attention to it tho........
Back to top Go down
jhodges
jhodges

PostSubject: Re: coolant level sensor removal??   coolant level sensor removal?? EmptyMon Jul 02, 2007 9:38 am

I have the GM service manuals for the car but it doesn't have the procedure to remove and replace the sensor I'm sure there's nothing to it, just a trick you gotta know LOL
Thanks if you find something out let me know !!
Back to top Go down
jax95riv
Aficionado
jax95riv

PostSubject: Re: coolant level sensor removal??   coolant level sensor removal?? EmptyMon Jul 02, 2007 4:36 pm

Yeah, I got nothing as far as how it actually comes off. Sorry 'bout that. When you start jacking with it, let us know so we don't screw ours up! lol j/k
Back to top Go down
¤DoughBoy¤
Enthusiast
¤DoughBoy¤

Name : D.J.

PostSubject: Re: coolant level sensor removal??   coolant level sensor removal?? EmptyTue Jul 17, 2007 12:31 pm

lol.......
Back to top Go down
97rivman
Fanatic
97rivman

Name : alex
Merit : 2

PostSubject: Re: coolant level sensor removal??   coolant level sensor removal?? EmptyTue Jul 17, 2007 12:35 pm

i got alls the tools and $h!† you need..... plus ALLDATA
Back to top Go down
Brad95Riv
Brad95Riv

Name : Brad

PostSubject: Re: coolant level sensor removal??   coolant level sensor removal?? EmptyTue Jul 17, 2007 5:31 pm

With some other GM cars that have the sensor in the overflow bottle, you can just tap on the bottle with a hammer (near the sensor) to get the sensor to "unstick" and shut the light off. Has anyone tried that with our cars? (I don't have this problem, so I can't test it)

Edit: this is a way to get the light to turn off, not to remove the sensor. I have no idea how to do that...
Back to top Go down
jhodges
jhodges

PostSubject: Re: coolant level sensor removal??   coolant level sensor removal?? EmptyWed Jul 18, 2007 7:21 am

sensor is in the radiator on the 95's / on the right side about 1/3 the way down the tank
Back to top Go down
jax95riv
Aficionado
jax95riv

PostSubject: Re: coolant level sensor removal??   coolant level sensor removal?? EmptyWed Jul 18, 2007 7:43 am

Johnny, do you have a pic of the clips on the sensor you're talking about? Maybe that would help with telling you how to get it out. I should have changed mine when I replaced my fan motors but I didn't think about it at the time. Wish we could be more help.
Back to top Go down
jhodges
jhodges

PostSubject: Re: coolant level sensor removal??   coolant level sensor removal?? EmptyWed Jul 18, 2007 10:59 am

I am going to try to include an image here
this sensor sits flush with the radiator tank all the way to the black casing over the electrical connector. the clips are inside the opening in the tank.

coolant level sensor removal?? Fls60810
Back to top Go down
ricoshay
Rookie

PostSubject: Re: coolant level sensor removal??   coolant level sensor removal?? EmptyThu Aug 09, 2007 1:37 pm

i just replaced mine a few weeks ago. I don't remember the clips actually being INSIDE the tank. I was just gonna try pulling/cleaning it. I moved it up and down an the old top clip broke, making it easier to remove.
Back to top Go down
Eldo
Expert
Eldo

Name : Mark
Merit : 104

PostSubject: Re: coolant level sensor removal??   coolant level sensor removal?? EmptySun Sep 12, 2010 9:40 pm

Old thread, but a title that probably still draws attention... Thus I want to add that I had to remove my coolant sensor to get my lower hose off, and it is exactly as pictured above. It's like a mini version of the pre-'97 "magic", electronic low-oil sensor, before they changed that to a simple float and reed switch.

On my '97 radiator, the nipple sticks out of the tank and the sensor simply shoves on and the two plastic clips hook onto a ridge around the outside of the nipple. When I saw that clear plastic I knew there was a very good chance that they were going to be old and crystallized, so I used a decent sized screwdriver to VERY GENTLY pry one hook outward the bare minimum distance and grabbed the black plastic housing to wiggle the unit outward just enough to keep the hook from grabbing the nipple again. I then did the same with the opposite hook. The O-rings were in good shape and the sensor then wiggled/rotated all the way out easily. I just washed the film off of the sensor with plain water and a tooth brush, pre-lubed the O-rings with coolant, and smoothly but firmly pressed it back into/onto the nipple.

(Be sure to make a note of the orientation before you attempt to remove the sensor... you'll want to put it back the same way.)
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: coolant level sensor removal??   coolant level sensor removal?? Empty

Back to top Go down

coolant level sensor removal??
Page 1 of 1