Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

Odometer and tempertaure settings (metric/standard gauges)

Go down 
+6
99Rivman
deekster_caddy
jimmyriv
SpaceBar
1998 Riv
jrocha
10 posters
AuthorMessage
jrocha
Enthusiast
jrocha

Name : John
Merit : 0

Odometer and tempertaure settings (metric/standard gauges) Empty
PostSubject: Odometer and tempertaure settings (metric/standard gauges)   Odometer and tempertaure settings (metric/standard gauges) EmptyThu Jul 19, 2007 11:08 am

I've mentioned I live in Canada. My Riv was imported some time back from Florida by a previous owner who brought it with him. My question is if it is possible to swith the odometer reading and the temperature settings to Metric instead of Imperial. It's not a big deal, but I'm used to reading the temperature in Celsius and the (Trip) Odometer in Kilometers.
Back to top Go down
http://www.24quilates.net
1998 Riv
Expert
1998 Riv

Name : Dave
Merit : 44

PostSubject: Re: Odometer and tempertaure settings (metric/standard gauges)   Odometer and tempertaure settings (metric/standard gauges) EmptyThu Jul 19, 2007 11:15 am

I do not believe this function is built-in on the Rivs. Our Russian member has a thread on this also. Don't think he found a solution.
Back to top Go down
SpaceBar
Aficionado
SpaceBar

Name : Patrick
Merit : 3

PostSubject: Re: Odometer and tempertaure settings (metric/standard gauges)   Odometer and tempertaure settings (metric/standard gauges) EmptyThu Jul 19, 2007 12:58 pm

No its not possible in the Riv.

The regal I believe has the function to change to C but not our Rivs.
Back to top Go down
http://community.webshots.com/user/xspacebarx
jrocha
Enthusiast
jrocha

Name : John

PostSubject: Re: Odometer and tempertaure settings (metric/standard gauges)   Odometer and tempertaure settings (metric/standard gauges) EmptyThu Jul 19, 2007 12:59 pm

Okay, thanks. I'll have to live with it.
Like I said, not a big deal.

Last edited by on Sat Jul 21, 2007 11:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
http://www.24quilates.net
jimmyriv
Junkie
jimmyriv

Name : James
Merit : 8

PostSubject: Re: Odometer and tempertaure settings (metric/standard gauges)   Odometer and tempertaure settings (metric/standard gauges) EmptyThu Jul 19, 2007 4:37 pm

I had a 1990 Riviera and with the digital instrumentation it was possible.
Back to top Go down
http://myspace.com/jimmyriv
deekster_caddy
Master

Name : Derek
Merit : 109

PostSubject: metric/standard gauges and hvac   Odometer and tempertaure settings (metric/standard gauges) EmptyWed Mar 12, 2008 12:02 pm

does anybody know how to change the gauges from Standard to Metric? That's why the speedometer goes so high, right? For Canadian cars how high does the speedo go? Is it the same 120 speedo they use in US cars?

Has anybody ever changed their HVAC panel from F to C or vice-versa? How? Is there a way to install a switch (some jumpers)?
Back to top Go down
99Rivman
Aficionado
99Rivman

Name : Randall
Merit : 89

PostSubject: Re: Odometer and tempertaure settings (metric/standard gauges)   Odometer and tempertaure settings (metric/standard gauges) EmptyWed Mar 12, 2008 4:26 pm

jimmyriv wrote:
I had a 1990 Riviera and with the digital instrumentation it was possible.
agree
My '92 does also, just a push of the selector button and it changes.
They deleted several of the electronic functions when they built the last generation, I'm pretty sure it would have to have been ordered that way, with metric I mean?
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/id/99Rivman
deekster_caddy
Master

PostSubject: Re: Odometer and tempertaure settings (metric/standard gauges)   Odometer and tempertaure settings (metric/standard gauges) EmptyWed Mar 12, 2008 4:50 pm

Thanks for moving this AA

I heard there was a jumper somewhere inside the HVAC head that could be changed...
Back to top Go down
AA
Administrator
AA

Name : Aaron
Merit : 252

PostSubject: Re: Odometer and tempertaure settings (metric/standard gauges)   Odometer and tempertaure settings (metric/standard gauges) EmptyWed Mar 12, 2008 5:04 pm

The speedo for metric goes way higher than 120. It's like 240 km/h I think. Our standard speedo markings were made for mph.

'05 GTO 6.0L • 6-spd • 95k miles • 0-60: 4.8s • 16.9 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:26

'95 Celica GT 2.2L • 5-spd • 165k miles • 0-60: yes

'98 SC Riviera • 281k miles • 298 HP/370 TQ • 0-60: 5.79s • ET: 13.97 @ 99.28 • 4087 lb • 20.1 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:30
3.4" pulley • AL104 plugs • 180º t-stat • FWI w/K&N • 1.9:1 rockers • OR pushrods • LS6 valve springs • SLP headers • ZZP fuel rails
KYB GR2 struts • MaxAir shocks • Addco sway bars • UMI bushings • GM STB • Enkei 18" EV5s w/ Dunlop DZ101s • F-body calipers
EBC bluestuff/Hawk HP plus • SS lines • Brembo slotted discs • DHP tuned • Aeroforce • Hidden Hitch

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown

'70 Ninety-Eight Holiday Coupe 455cid • 116k miles
^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/657082/4
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :
Merit : 180

PostSubject: Re: Odometer and tempertaure settings (metric/standard gauges)   Odometer and tempertaure settings (metric/standard gauges) EmptyWed Mar 12, 2008 5:11 pm

IIRC the service manual tells how to change the HVAC head reading from F to C.

If there is any way to change the speedo it'd have to use the tech2 (GM-specific scan and programmig tool). You can recalibrate the speedo for different size tires for instance, and change the speed limiter with the Tech2 I am told. Never done it though so... don't bank on it but if you happen to have a buddy witha Tech2 you might explore this.

Albertj
Back to top Go down
deekster_caddy
Master

PostSubject: Re: Odometer and tempertaure settings (metric/standard gauges)   Odometer and tempertaure settings (metric/standard gauges) EmptyWed Mar 12, 2008 10:13 pm

Thanks
Nah, I wouldn't change the speedo reading like that, I'd be too concerned with upsetting transmission setpoints. If there was a Metric on/off I would look for it, but not like that...

I'll have another browse through the FSM and see if I can't find that F/C setting. I'll report in if I find it.

If it's a jumper, I'm thinking I might wire the common to a switch and then I can choose to be in C or F depending on my mood (and passengers)... Otherwise there's not much need to change it.

I am going to tear apart my HVAC head soon to resolder and repair nonfunctional lights and such. (anyone quick with search know right where that thread is?)
Back to top Go down
Jason
Aficionado
Jason

Name : Jason
Merit : 65

PostSubject: Re: Odometer and tempertaure settings (metric/standard gauges)   Odometer and tempertaure settings (metric/standard gauges) EmptyWed Mar 12, 2008 11:13 pm

IF it is possible, it isn't an easy task. It isn't in the FSM and I have asked a technician with a tech 2 who said it was not possible. I have never seen anything in the PCM editor to modify it either.

the metric speedo goes to 200
Odometer and tempertaure settings (metric/standard gauges) 2271467_39_full

A neat mod might be for you US guys to put in a metric speedo and divide your output signal by 1.6.

Last edited by Jason on Thu Oct 23, 2008 4:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/id/Doctor_Meltdown
AA
Administrator
AA

Name : Aaron
Merit : 252

PostSubject: Re: Odometer and tempertaure settings (metric/standard gauges)   Odometer and tempertaure settings (metric/standard gauges) EmptyThu Mar 13, 2008 8:39 am

agree AGREE on Jason's last comment!

'05 GTO 6.0L • 6-spd • 95k miles • 0-60: 4.8s • 16.9 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:26

'95 Celica GT 2.2L • 5-spd • 165k miles • 0-60: yes

'98 SC Riviera • 281k miles • 298 HP/370 TQ • 0-60: 5.79s • ET: 13.97 @ 99.28 • 4087 lb • 20.1 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:30
3.4" pulley • AL104 plugs • 180º t-stat • FWI w/K&N • 1.9:1 rockers • OR pushrods • LS6 valve springs • SLP headers • ZZP fuel rails
KYB GR2 struts • MaxAir shocks • Addco sway bars • UMI bushings • GM STB • Enkei 18" EV5s w/ Dunlop DZ101s • F-body calipers
EBC bluestuff/Hawk HP plus • SS lines • Brembo slotted discs • DHP tuned • Aeroforce • Hidden Hitch

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown

'70 Ninety-Eight Holiday Coupe 455cid • 116k miles
^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/657082/4
deekster_caddy
Master

PostSubject: Re: Odometer and tempertaure settings (metric/standard gauges)   Odometer and tempertaure settings (metric/standard gauges) EmptyThu Mar 13, 2008 10:55 am

yeah, that WOULD be cool. A 200 MPH Speedo! smile

Hmmm, next I'll need to get some speed-rated tires...
Back to top Go down
Jason
Aficionado
Jason

PostSubject: Re: Odometer and tempertaure settings (metric/standard gauges)   Odometer and tempertaure settings (metric/standard gauges) EmptyThu Oct 23, 2008 4:03 pm

I think I figured out how to do the conversion on the HVAC head. I'd just need to confirm it with the shop manual (left it at home). Is anyone still even remotely interested in this ?
I don't need to do it, since I'm happy with the Centigrade setup.
Back to top Go down
Rick's Riv
Rookie

Name : Rick

PostSubject: Re: Odometer and tempertaure settings (metric/standard gauges)   Odometer and tempertaure settings (metric/standard gauges) EmptyThu Oct 23, 2008 4:21 pm

Subject: Re: Odometer and tempertaure settings (metric/standard gauges)
Yes you can change the Hvac from metric to imp.
you need the Tech 2
the speedo won't change , just the odometer will....
Back to top Go down
Jason
Aficionado
Jason

PostSubject: Re: Odometer and tempertaure settings (metric/standard gauges)   Odometer and tempertaure settings (metric/standard gauges) EmptyThu Oct 23, 2008 6:42 pm

Using a tech2 would certainly be easier. Can you explain how to do it ? the two techs I have talked to, as well as techs other forum members have seen have said it cannot be done with the tech2.

If it doesn't work, I'll post up a diagram of how to do it when I get a chance (it will take a while because I don't have the manual)
Back to top Go down
deekster_caddy
Master

PostSubject: Re: Odometer and tempertaure settings (metric/standard gauges)   Odometer and tempertaure settings (metric/standard gauges) EmptyThu Oct 23, 2008 10:44 pm

I'm curious, but if it's a permanent change I'm probably not going to do it. If I could wire it to a switch, I might consider it...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Odometer and tempertaure settings (metric/standard gauges)   Odometer and tempertaure settings (metric/standard gauges) Empty

Back to top Go down

Odometer and tempertaure settings (metric/standard gauges)
Page 1 of 1