Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

Antenna Removal

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
urbanski_m
Amateur

Name : Mike
Merit : 0

Antenna Removal Empty
PostSubject: Antenna Removal   Antenna Removal EmptySun Jun 21, 2020 12:03 pm

Does anyone know the best way of unscrewing the antenna tip and the plastic nut at the quarter without damaging either or the mast itself? I am having a hard time with the plastic nut since it is deep and appears rounded off/chewed up from a previous attempt to remove. Any ideas, is there a special tool?

Thanks!
Back to top Go down
LARRY70GS
Aficionado
LARRY70GS

Name : Larry
Merit : 149

Antenna Removal Empty
PostSubject: Re: Antenna Removal   Antenna Removal EmptySun Jun 21, 2020 3:17 pm

You don't unscrew the mast with the antenna in the car, you remove the antenna first.  It pulls through the rubber grommet once you remove the antenna bracket bolt, electrical connection and drain tube.  Once you remove the antenna from the car, you'll see there are about 5 or 6 clips that hold the two halves of the antenna housing together.  There are also 3 or 4 rivets that must be drilled out.  Once you have it apart, you can remove the mast.  Usually the nylon cord that moves the mast up and down breaks.

http://www.antennamastsrus.com/GM/Buick/Riviera/Riviera%201995-1999.htm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UHCda-t_Jls
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sfT2tEO4XcU
Back to top Go down
stan
Expert

Merit : 12

Antenna Removal Empty
PostSubject: Re: Antenna Removal   Antenna Removal EmptySun Jun 21, 2020 3:27 pm

....or maybe hit the nearest junkyard and get another / newer one. It'll take you 60 seconds to remove one.
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :
Merit : 180

Antenna Removal Empty
PostSubject: Re: Antenna Removal   Antenna Removal EmptySun Jun 21, 2020 6:01 pm

LARRY70GS wrote:
You don't unscrew the mast with the antenna in the car, you remove the antenna first.  It pulls through the rubber grommet once you remove the antenna bracket bolt, electrical connection and drain tube.  Once you remove the antenna from the car, you'll see there are about 5 or 6 clips that hold the two halves of the antenna housing together.  There are also 3 or 4 rivets that must be drilled out.  Once you have it apart, you can remove the mast.  Usually the nylon cord that moves the mast up and down breaks.

http://www.antennamastsrus.com/GM/Buick/Riviera/Riviera%201995-1999.htm

...correct - assuming - it's the OE antenna.  

The good-fitting replacement Metra PW-22 power antenna has a top mount that screws in against a stamped metal mount that pivots to match the fender angle.   You have to open the trunk and hold the base steady to unscrew the top chrome plated barrel nut, and the stamped metal mount **just** fits the edges of the hole. For this one you have to remove it to do a mast replacement as well.

I had one of these, it worked OK, but Ed Morad parted out some late '90s GM cars some years ago and I bought an OE antenna from him. If you can keep them clean they last and last. Just wipe off the mast. Don't oil it, maybe wipe the mast with a film of silicone oil on a rag -- you don't want dirt, road salt/dust etc. to stick to the mast. Clean is most important.
Back to top Go down
urbanski_m
Amateur

Name : Mike
Merit : 0

Antenna Removal Empty
PostSubject: Re: Antenna Removal   Antenna Removal EmptyMon Jun 22, 2020 8:48 am

Thank you all for your help! I should have been more specific, I needed to swap out my old OEM antenna with another OEM that I got from an auto recycler for my 97 Riv. Can't believe how easy it was, glad I asked! Might send my old one to Barney Eaton and have it rebuilt. The one from the auto recycler was $30 but not in great shape. It works and will do for now.
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :
Merit : 180

Antenna Removal Empty
PostSubject: Re: Antenna Removal   Antenna Removal EmptyMon Jun 22, 2020 9:46 am

urbanski_m wrote:
Thank you all for your help!  I should have been more specific, I needed to swap out my old OEM antenna with another OEM that I got from an auto recycler for my 97 Riv.  Can't believe how easy it was, glad I asked!  Might send my old one to Barney Eaton and have it rebuilt.  The one from the auto recycler was $30 but not in great shape.  It works and will do for now.

If the problem with the replacement antenna from the recycler was that the staff is dinged up, if you hunt around you should find new replacement staffs from ACDelco. Eaton's approach (replace nylon wire with stainless cable) sounds fine as long as the cable does not kink. Follow his directions for installing and calibrating the antenna **scrupulously**.

https://rivperformance.editboard.com/t12124-electric-antenna-repair

Barney Eaton posted repair guidance in this Reatta newsleter:

http://www.reatta.org/newsletters/2011_Winter_Newsletter.pdf

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Antenna Removal Empty
PostSubject: Re: Antenna Removal   Antenna Removal Empty

Back to top Go down

Antenna Removal
Page 1 of 1