Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

Do axles need to be installed in pairs?

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
carguy8888
Junkie
carguy8888

Name : Brian Cohen
Merit : 8

Do axles need to be installed in pairs? Empty
PostSubject: Do axles need to be installed in pairs?   Do axles need to be installed in pairs? EmptyWed Oct 07, 2020 9:16 pm

When I make a right turn I am hearing snap crackle and pop. My mechanic said it's time for a axle. Should I just do the one that needs it or do I need to do both?
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :
Merit : 180

PostSubject: Re: Do axles need to be installed in pairs?   Do axles need to be installed in pairs? EmptyWed Oct 07, 2020 11:35 pm

...not necessarily. My drivers side axle, I ran it 330 thousand miles. It was a Saginaw. Put in the best axle you can (ask mechanic which ones don't result in come-backs) and keep a log, or write on it in sharpie or paint pen the mileage at install.

If you're doing the work yourself consider replacing the lower control arms at the same time and go ahead and do both axles, hey you needed something to suck up a day, right?
Back to top Go down
carguy8888
Junkie
carguy8888

PostSubject: Re: Do axles need to be installed in pairs?   Do axles need to be installed in pairs? EmptyThu Oct 08, 2020 9:38 pm

All the axles I saw on RockAuto or Amazon I never heard of the names. The one thing I do know is I'm not doing it myself LOL. I just have to make a decision whether I'm going to figure out which axle it is and replace it or go for the gusto and replace both axles and the Gabriel quick struts but that's going to turn into a piece of change.
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :

PostSubject: Re: Do axles need to be installed in pairs?   Do axles need to be installed in pairs? EmptyThu Oct 08, 2020 9:49 pm

carguy8888 wrote:
All the axles I saw on RockAuto or Amazon I never heard of the names.  The one thing I do know is I'm not doing it myself LOL. I just have to make a decision whether I'm going to figure out which axle it is and replace it or go for the gusto and replace both axles and the Gabriel quick struts but that's going to turn into a piece of change.

You never heard of the names b/c they're all made in the Far East or Europe. I replaced the Saginaw with an APWI on recommendation from one of the mechanics who works on my car (not lowest price, but basically zero callbacks).
Back to top Go down
carguy8888
Junkie
carguy8888

PostSubject: Re: Do axles need to be installed in pairs?   Do axles need to be installed in pairs? EmptyThu Oct 08, 2020 9:50 pm

I'm going to look up that brand now thank you.
Back to top Go down
71stagegs
Enthusiast
71stagegs

Name : steve
Merit : 2

PostSubject: Re: Do axles need to be installed in pairs?   Do axles need to be installed in pairs? EmptySun Oct 11, 2020 1:02 pm

look for GM axels that r rebuilt better than china garbage check with ZZP they sell heavy duty ones for hi performance.
https://zzperformance.com/collections/3800/products/stage-1-axles
call them see where they r made good luck
Back to top Go down
carguy8888
Junkie
carguy8888

PostSubject: Re: Do axles need to be installed in pairs?   Do axles need to be installed in pairs? EmptySun Oct 11, 2020 11:33 pm

They look good, I just have to get back to the shop to see which axle it is, pretty sure it's the right side but I don't want to guess.

71stagegs wrote:
look for GM axels that r rebuilt better than china garbage check with ZZP they sell heavy duty ones for hi performance.
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :

PostSubject: Re: Do axles need to be installed in pairs?   Do axles need to be installed in pairs? EmptyMon Oct 12, 2020 12:29 pm

carguy8888 wrote:

They look good, I just have to get back to the shop to see which axle it is, pretty sure it's the right side but I don't want to guess.

71stagegs wrote:

Those axles probably are built in China, they are just not necessarily garbage. When I have flown to/from China there are loads of Germans on the planes. Listening to their chatter, a number of them are technologists or tech managers working on one thing or another. German quality at Chinese costs will be difficult to compete against.
Back to top Go down
carguy8888
Junkie
carguy8888

PostSubject: Re: Do axles need to be installed in pairs?   Do axles need to be installed in pairs? EmptyMon Oct 12, 2020 2:47 pm

It says the ZZPs are an aftermarket axle but obviously they're not going to name the vendor.
Back to top Go down
71stagegs
Enthusiast
71stagegs

Name : steve
Merit : 2

PostSubject: Re: Do axles need to be installed in pairs?   Do axles need to be installed in pairs? EmptyMon Oct 12, 2020 7:25 pm

They say they r good for 300HP they have a stage 2 axel also
Back to top Go down
carguy8888
Junkie
carguy8888

PostSubject: Re: Do axles need to be installed in pairs?   Do axles need to be installed in pairs? EmptyMon Oct 12, 2020 9:57 pm

I did see that but my car will never see 300 horsepower. I'll leave that for my trans am. This car is just a different fun daily driver.
Back to top Go down
sarahk99
Special

Name : Sarah Kennedy
Merit : 0

PostSubject: Re: Do axles need to be installed in pairs?   Do axles need to be installed in pairs? EmptyTue Oct 27, 2020 6:26 pm

Quote :
When I make a right turn I am hearing snap crackle and pop. My mechanic said it's time for a axle. Should I just do the one that needs it or do I need to do both?
Like this site https://writemyessay4me.org/dissertation with dissertation writing tips

always a good idea to change both at the same time

Last edited by sarahk99 on Sun Nov 08, 2020 11:16 am; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
carguy8888
Junkie
carguy8888

PostSubject: Re: Do axles need to be installed in pairs?   Do axles need to be installed in pairs? EmptyTue Oct 27, 2020 10:07 pm

Ty, it turns out my axle's were ok.
Back to top Go down
carguy8888
Junkie
carguy8888

PostSubject: Re: Do axles need to be installed in pairs?   Do axles need to be installed in pairs? EmptySat Oct 31, 2020 6:45 pm

The noise left and then returned so I had time to stop by a different and thorough mechanic. He checked everything and the only thing he could find was a small amount of play in the passenger axle "suprise lol". He then was able to inject a ton of grease into it so I guess it was dry. My question is even if the problem goes away there is still that small amount of play which I can't imagine grease will fix so should I replace the axles anyway?
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :

PostSubject: Re: Do axles need to be installed in pairs?   Do axles need to be installed in pairs? EmptySun Nov 01, 2020 12:15 am

carguy8888 wrote:
The noise left and then returned so I had time to stop by a different and thorough mechanic. He checked everything and the only thing he could find was a small amount of play in the passenger axle "suprise lol". He then was able to inject a ton of grease into it so I guess it was dry. My question is even if the problem goes away there is still that small amount of play which I can't imagine grease will fix so should I replace the axles anyway?

You'll want to replace it - the problem will be that a worn axle will mimic a tire out of balance condition but will largely be unsolvable/recurrent.
Back to top Go down
carguy8888
Junkie
carguy8888

PostSubject: Re: Do axles need to be installed in pairs?   Do axles need to be installed in pairs? EmptySun Nov 01, 2020 5:52 am

Thank you Dr. Albert, I am going to replace both of them with the brand you suggested from RockAuto. Also, I do have a little bit of a vibration in the sixties.
Back to top Go down
HannaCooper
Special

Name : HannaCooper
Merit : 0

PostSubject: Essaysbank.com   Do axles need to be installed in pairs? EmptyWed Feb 03, 2021 6:19 am

Really nice site. Thank u for provideng tips and the material about papers and where better buy academic essays on Essaysbank.com
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Do axles need to be installed in pairs?   Do axles need to be installed in pairs? Empty

Back to top Go down

Do axles need to be installed in pairs?
Page 1 of 1